PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate Cake (with flax meal)

tweety09
12-28-2007, 07:58 AM
This recipe is to easy, I was surprised of the result, it tasted better than i was expecting. Here it goes :

50gr flax meal
1 T cocoa power
1/4 t baking powder, splenda
2 T melted butter
1 T water
1 egg

Mix the melted butter, egg, water then add the dry ingredients (mixed before). Put in the oven for 25-30. It drys as it cools.

40gr fat, 19carb(14f), 17 prot / 539 kcal

Perfect for keto. You can play around a lot with this recipe as u already realized, very filling too...

PyroBurns
12-28-2007, 09:17 PM
Can anything substitute the butter?

msfatbootie
12-28-2007, 09:59 PM
I used to be vegan and I would use sunflower oil to substitute in my baking. I am not sure how it will work here.

I noticed that you are avoiding lactose. "European" or "cultured" butter is usually low in lactose because fermented cream is used in the process. My roommate is really sensitive to lactose and I am also intolerant, but the cultured butter doenst bother us at all. Also, any margarine marked "pareve" doesnt have milk in it (its a kosher thing, I dont understand)

tweety09
12-29-2007, 01:21 AM
Can anything substitute the butter?

I don`t think so.. the butter is the key actually.. the more u add the softer it is.. next time i`ll add more..
Amina is right about our butter.. I guess I`m lucky here.. we have a lot of fermented milk products.. sour cream, all types of cheese.. butter.. etc..

Eileen
12-30-2007, 05:43 PM
Try olive oil. That recipe looks very similar to the chocolate flaxbread my kids make, and they use olive oil.

By the way, my middle child has a strong dairy alergy, but she can have butter and any lactose-free cheese.

Knux
05-23-2008, 07:14 PM
I know this is really old but does anyone know what kind of pan this should go in when entering the oven? If I got a big cake pan, how many times would I have to increase it?

I really have no idea how I would go about preparing this

Eileen
05-24-2008, 02:33 PM
This doesn't increase in volume the way bread does, so you don't need to allow for huge expension.

I often put this sort of thing into muffin moulds, fill each one three quarters full and you should be fine. Cut the cooking time a bit to compensate.

Knux
05-24-2008, 03:15 PM
oops double post

Knux
05-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Well, I was really looking for some sort of edited recipe to make it in a big cake pan (like...you know...a regular cake), so I can make it for the family and smother it in Walden's Farms Marshmallow Dip (i.e. frosting) and sprinkle on cocoa powder. I just don't know how to edit the recipe!

Eileen
05-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Ok, this is one I make a lot.

75g flaxmeal
2 eggs
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cocoa powder
sweetener (1 or 2 packets)

Mix everything to a wet dough, pour into a small bread or cake tin, bake in a preheated oven at gas 6 for around 18 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.

This makes enough for a family meal, or you can scale up for a bigger group. If so, allow extra cooking time.

I think I made a 3 egg version, topped it with melted chocolate and served it to 10 children as a birthday cake.

Knux
05-24-2008, 03:32 PM

75g flaxmeal
2 eggs
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cocoa powder

Mix everything to a wet dough, pour into a small bread or cake tin, bake in a preheated oven at gas 6 for around 18 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.

This makes enough for a family meal, or you can scale up for a bigger group. If so, allow extra cooking time.

I think I made a 3 egg version, topped it with melted chocolate and served it to 10 children as a birthday cake.
Sounds much better. Thanks loads!

edit: what is gas 6 in terms of degrees fahrenheit/celsius?

Eileen
05-24-2008, 03:40 PM
200 degres celsius. Moderately hot oven.

Knux
05-25-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm going to try this but it looks like I might need some bread tins/cake tins in the future...

All we have in terms of a cake tin is a

32.5 x 24.1 x 5.08 cm Cake Tin.

Now, that seems like it's really big, but how would I go about making this cake in there? Or should I just try getting a smaller one...(If I get a smaller bread tin/cake tin, do you have any size recommendations?)

Eileen
05-25-2008, 01:13 PM
What about baking two ordinary size ones and sticking them together with cream?

I have a few different size bread/cake silicon tins, but I use the muffin moulds most.

Knux
05-25-2008, 01:44 PM
What about baking two ordinary size ones and sticking them together with cream?

I have a few different size bread/cake silicon tins, but I use the muffin moulds most.
True, I could do that, but how could I bake a single cake with this giant cake tin, assuming it's all I have to use? Would I bake 2 side-by side in that one tin and that would work?

I'm a total baking n00b, and I'll rep you again when I can ;x

Eileen
05-25-2008, 02:02 PM
If all you have is a huge tin, then it might be worth buying something. This is what I use most http://cgi.ebay.ie/Red-Silicon-Silicone-6-Cup-Muffin-Cake-Baking-Tray_W0QQitemZ320254793144QQihZ011QQcategoryZ25466 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
but I also use this as well. http://cgi.ebay.ie/2-x-Loaf-Bread-Cake-Black-Silicone-Silicon-Mould-Moulds_W0QQitemZ160243197661QQihZ006QQcategoryZ254 66QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Jeez, I've got to find out how to put in short links.

Knux
05-25-2008, 05:35 PM
If all you have is a huge tin, then it might be worth buying something. This is what I use most http://cgi.ebay.ie/Red-Silicon-Silicone-6-Cup-Muffin-Cake-Baking-Tray_W0QQitemZ320254793144QQihZ011QQcategoryZ25466 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
but I also use this as well. http://cgi.ebay.ie/2-x-Loaf-Bread-Cake-Black-Silicone-Silicon-Mould-Moulds_W0QQitemZ160243197661QQihZ006QQcategoryZ254 66QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Jeez, I've got to find out how to put in short links.
I have 2 tins that are small in my house, so it's all good =]

Thank you so much. I have one just like that in the 2nd picture. Will the second recipe (the increased one) work for that size pan?

Knux
05-25-2008, 08:43 PM
I tried to make cupcakes but they didn't rise =[ I tried to make 7 cupcakes, but I bet they would have worked if I made less.

Oh well, they taste good.

Eileen
05-26-2008, 01:48 PM
I have 2 tins that are small in my house, so it's all good =]

Thank you so much. I have one just like that in the 2nd picture. Will the second recipe (the increased one) work for that size pan?

I'd just try making up the recipe as it stands for the first time, then see what you think it needs to increase size, Heck, you might not like it!

DJohnson
09-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Just made these and I love them. Aftertaste is a little strange but oh well. I doubled the original recipe and made 4 "muffins". I'll probably butter them up and consume. Great way to get some extra fiber.

I tried to make cupcakes but they didn't rise =[ I tried to make 7 cupcakes, but I bet they would have worked if I made less.

Oh well, they taste good.

You put enough baking powder in? Mine rose like crazy.

DJohnson
09-26-2008, 02:36 AM
Update. I made some for my bro but he didn't eat his so I scarfed them down. I really like these. Haha. I didn't butter them up, they are good enough on their own. Although I may try make some cream cheese icing.

I put in a full eye dropper of Anabolic Innovations sucralose for the double recipe and that was the perfect amount. I didn't have flax meal so I just threw 100g of flax seeds into the magic bullet and that worked amazing. Probably ended up moister because of it too. Oh yeah, and I split it into a muffin tin over 4 "large" spots, baked on 400 for 17 minutes total.

I think next batch I may try vanilla or something instead of chocolate and spread almond butter on them. :D

pointz54
10-02-2008, 03:21 PM
one of the best things i've ever read on these forums.

DJohnson
10-02-2008, 07:58 PM
True that! I have another double batch baking as I type this! Same recipe though, haven't tried any other flavors.

I love the smell of the batter. Reminds me of the good ol' days when Anabolic Innovations had their cookie mix that they discontinued. I think I bought like 10lbs of that when they annouced they were discontinuing it and I finished it all!

Need to find some low carb chocolate chips and make my own...

blindy107
10-02-2008, 09:28 PM
DJ, i mixed cream cheese and some ON double choc whey in an attempt at frosting...didnt quite get what i was lookin for. let me know if you find something that works.

Eileen
10-03-2008, 04:37 AM
Need to find some low carb chocolate chips and make my own...

I love the 99% chocolate which is genuinely low carb. Lindt does a great one, but it's probably wasted for cooking. Get some 85% chocolate, which is easy to get, and chop that up.

pointz54
10-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Now I'm kind of regretting I ever read this because I think I'm eating too many of these per day.

DJohnson
10-06-2008, 05:27 AM
DJ, i mixed cream cheese and some ON double choc whey in an attempt at frosting...didnt quite get what i was lookin for. let me know if you find something that works.

Roger that. I'll give it a try this week.

I love the 99% chocolate which is genuinely low carb. Lindt does a great one, but it's probably wasted for cooking. Get some 85% chocolate, which is easy to get, and chop that up.

Man I love Lindt 99% but I can't find anywhere that stocks it anymore! I have a ton of 85% chocolate though, I can't believe I didn't think of that. I'll try make cookies this week!

Eileen
10-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Man I love Lindt 99% but I can't find anywhere that stocks it anymore! I have a ton of 85% chocolate though, I can't believe I didn't think of that. I'll try make cookies this week!

Go to the shop where you buy your 85% and ask them to order in some 99% for you. If they already deal with Lindt, then it should be no problem. I asked my local shop to do this for me, and they were amazed to find that a lot of people bought it. I thought I would be eating it all on my own.

xxxxfactor
11-07-2008, 04:39 PM
This recipe is to easy, I was surprised of the result, it tasted better than i was expecting. Here it goes :

50gr flax meal
1 T cocoa power
2 T melted butter
1 T water
1 egg

Mix the melted butter, egg, water then add the dry ingredients (mixed before). Put in the oven for 25-30. It drys as it cools.

Perfect for keto. You can play around a lot with this recipe as u already realized, very filling too...

What temperature is the oven heated to? I'm assuming you beat the egg prior to mixing into melted butter and water

Eileen
11-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Since it's similar to something I make, I'd assume that gas mark 5-6 or around 190-200C would work.

DJohnson
11-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Oh! I thought I posted my vanilla-cinnamon variation but I guess I forgot. Anyways, you just replace the 1 T cocoa power with 2tsp cinnamon and 2tsp vanilla. I like these even more than the chocolate! I make muffins, cut them in half and butter them while they're still warm. :D

Oh ya, and I do the muffins at 400F. I'm sure 400F will work for the cake but you'll just have to leave it in a bit longer. Just poke a toothpick in to check it and when it comes out dry it's done.

Silence84
11-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Arite, you might think its pretty easy to look for it but I haven't found it yet...well...they don't have em in Wal-mart and the Superstore...I can go out n look but would anybody know where in Canada (toronto preferably) can i get flax meal?

thanks!
cheerz!

Eileen
11-11-2008, 01:09 PM
It's also called Linseed. I can't imagine there are any health food shops that don't stock it in some form, and these days, most supermarkets carry it as well.

Silence84
11-11-2008, 01:44 PM
I'll check out one of the health food shops today
thanx

morgansd12
11-11-2008, 06:26 PM
1/4 teaspoon Splenda? I just did this and there is absolutely no sweetness. Totally bland.

50gr flax meal
1 T cocoa power
2 T melted butter
1 T water
1 egg

DJohnson
11-12-2008, 06:10 AM
Arite, you might think its pretty easy to look for it but I haven't found it yet...well...they don't have em in Wal-mart and the Superstore...I can go out n look but would anybody know where in Canada (toronto preferably) can i get flax meal?

I just buy mine by the flour in Safeway now.

1/4 teaspoon Splenda? I just did this and there is absolutely no sweetness. Totally bland.

Splenda to taste. I use use about 20 drops of this:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ai/suc.html

Silence84
11-12-2008, 02:19 PM
unfortunately we don't have Safeway in the GTA. I went to a specialty store and i didn't find it there. I'll try longos, sobey's, and a local grocery store 2day.

HorizonXP
11-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Flax meal: Bulk Barn ftw.

Da_MiLkY_bar_Kid
11-19-2008, 02:44 AM
just made mine, didnt puff out 1 bit.....tasted like GRAINY bread ...not sweet at all :( even if i added moer sweetner to it, didnt have ENOUGH of a chocolate taste

OH WELL

CURED MY BREAD gRAINY CRAVING that for sure :)

clever21
08-14-2011, 01:46 PM

75g flaxmeal
2 eggs
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cocoa powder

Anyone try adding some whey powder to this? Also, made some splenda/cinnimon butter for spreading helps. I added 1 tsp splenda to recipe and it really didnt taste sweet at all. Reminds me of corn meal actually.