PDA

View Full Version : NEW JOB = on the road a lot

2coop
12-23-2007, 05:03 PM
did a search but couldnt find some answers

i am going to be on the road for a new sales job and wondering some healthy options out there......as of now i only go to subway a few times a week and the rest of my meals are from home....i am jumping up to 2 meals a day for 5-6 days a week on the road....any suggestions would help

BlackRadio
12-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Buy a cooler.
hardboiled eggs
cottage cheese with tuna or PB or fruit
tuna
chicken breast
protein shakes

pretty much anything. Just get a cooler..

-__-
12-23-2007, 05:10 PM
I was in the same boat for a year a few months ago. I would be traving for 15-18 hours straight at times to get from one part of the east coast to another to set up new Lowe's Hardware stores.

A cooler.
A 12 pack of water.
Peanuts.
Beef Jerkey.
Instant coffee+whey scoop drinks

life savers.

naturalguy
12-23-2007, 05:51 PM
I am a sales manager and am on the road a lot.

If your driving then you should make your own meals and eat out of a cooler. If your flying and going to be away for a few days then you have to make the right choices when in restaurants. Also bars and shakes come in very handy. It takes discipline but you can do it.

JH34PG
12-23-2007, 05:54 PM
I am a sales manager and am on the road a lot.

If your driving then you should make your own meals and eat out of a cooler. If your flying and going to be away for a few days then you have to make the right choices when in restaurants. Also bars and shakes come in very handy. It takes discipline but you can do it.

yup...cooler is def the best way to go bro...

2coop
12-23-2007, 06:34 PM
ok ill go with the cooler idea....but i what do some of you suggest for dinner...

tuna sandwiches, pb, shakes, protein bars are good for lunch and snacks but what about dinner?

willldabeast
12-23-2007, 07:39 PM
It is better to eat more meals any way. Just eat a sandwich or snacks every few hours and dont worry about a set breakfast lunch and dinner.

Ryall
12-23-2007, 07:45 PM
It is better to eat more meals any way. Just eat a sandwich or snacks every few hours and dont worry about a set breakfast lunch and dinner.

X2. As long as you're getting in the needed cals, it doesn't matter.

2coop
12-23-2007, 07:54 PM
it matters for my sanity

i cant do sandwiches all day......need some other options

willldabeast
12-23-2007, 07:59 PM
I eat a lot of rice and beans. mix some veggies in there, cheese, any variations. Like others said, fruit, beef jerky, protein bars, etc. also, gas stations often have microwaves you could use when u stop for oats or other stuff u prefer warm.

inkedouttrucca
12-24-2007, 07:11 AM
Imma Local Driver Doing 550 Miles A Day Luckly Im Home Everyday To Hit The Gym And Make Dinner And Make Food For The Next Day. I Do Get Lunch Out Everyday. Its Either Mcdonaldss Or Wendys Everyday. ( Yeah Yeah) But I Get There House Salad And Break Up Some Chicken In There And Get There Appledippers. The Rest Of The Day Im Eatting Hardboiled Eggwhites,carrots,protein Bar,apples,turkey Sandwhich Tuna Steak Rice Broccloli Etc. Sometimes Tho When Ur On The Road U Have To Eat Out At Less Then Desirable Places. Theres Always A Decent Meal U Can Put Together.

Wlcm2jamrck
12-24-2007, 07:20 AM
One of my favorites for on-the-go cooler snacks; brown rice, grilled chicken, brocolli all mixed together... you can put it in a small plastic container and it tastes great cold or heated. Definately boiled eggs, bars, a jug of water, ziplock bag of nuts. A few alternatives to non-stop sandwiches.

BlackRadio
12-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Imma Local Driver Doing 550 Miles A Day Luckly Im Home Everyday To Hit The Gym And Make Dinner And Make Food For The Next Day. I Do Get Lunch Out Everyday. Its Either Mcdonaldss Or Wendys Everyday. ( Yeah Yeah) But I Get There House Salad And Break Up Some Chicken In There And Get There Appledippers. The Rest Of The Day Im Eatting Hardboiled Eggwhites,carrots,protein Bar,apples,turkey Sandwhich Tuna Steak Rice Broccloli Etc. Sometimes Tho When Ur On The Road U Have To Eat Out At Less Then Desirable Places. Theres Always A Decent Meal U Can Put Together.

Why Are You Capitalizing Every Word?

2coop
12-24-2007, 09:05 AM
thanks for the suggestions....but i dont plan on eating meals out of my car.....i will snack and such but i am going to get out of my car to eat.....i need some alternative suggestions to a cooler plz

BlackRadio
12-24-2007, 09:19 AM
thanks for the suggestions....but i dont plan on eating meals out of my car.....i will snack and such but i am going to get out of my car to eat.....i need some alternative suggestions to a cooler plz

so you want us to tell you it's ok to eat fast food. Go for it. You say you want healthy food options and bringing your own food is the healthiest and cheapest. Figure it out.

2coop
12-24-2007, 09:25 AM
NEAT!

there are good options at restaurants and i would like to know some...sorry...i will just do it myself if its such a hassle for you to give suggestions

The Arabic
12-24-2007, 10:38 AM
Its cold where you are, put it alllll in your vehicle's trunk. Make lunches and when you can eat them up and eat'em. Granted put a blenket around them so they don't freeze up to a brick but i find the winter time only good for this one reason. (hate winter)

Assorted veggies rock!

oaks
12-24-2007, 12:18 PM
NEAT!

there are good options at restaurants and i would like to know some...sorry...i will just do it myself if its such a hassle for you to give suggestions

Home Made Meals is always > fast food, no matter how you look at it. And, if you have time to stop at a fast food place, you also have time to stop at the grocery store an pick up something too.
that being said, if you are stopping at a fast food place, then have a read:

http://www.forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.phpt=2920231&highlight=fast+food

oaks
12-24-2007, 12:20 PM
hmmm seems like the link doesnt work...however, if you do a search for "fast food" in this forum, you will find a thread that is "the official fast food guide..."
that will help you out when you must make a decision on how to order at fast food places.......

911medic
12-24-2007, 12:36 PM
I did 1500 miles a week for nearly a year and a half. The bad news is that there isn't a lot of good suggestions for you. Restaurant and hotel food isn't known for being healthy. You have to use some very good judgement and be prepared to specify exactly what you want.

For me, I'd go to, say, a steak house. No problem with the steak (but no sauces, etc on top), a baked potato plain with some sour cream on the side, steamed veggies or salad with lowfat dressing are ok. No bread, no dessert.

In other words, try to tailor your meals out as closely as possible to what you'd eat at home. Lean meats (grilled chicken as opposed to fried, lots of veggies, very little bread, few (if any) desserts.

It's hard as hell to eat properly on the road unless you pack your own food. I was turned loose with a company gold card and told to go sell. It only took me 2 years to gain 80 lbs. because I completely lost control over my diet. I was unprepared mentally on how to deal with many nights alone in a hotel, long layovers in airports, etc. I think that since I've been bb'ing for a while now, I believe I could manage it better than I did then, but it is still very hard. Also, get a gym membership to a national chain so you can work out whereever you might be.