PDA

View Full Version : MayWeather to Fight in MMA

Mikey86
12-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Just heard this...He is teaming up with Mark Cubans company.....What are you thoughts.....Kick Ass...or....Ass Kicked....?

DALLAS (AP) - Floyd Mayweather Jr. met with Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban this week to discuss competing in mixed martial arts.

"We're definitely going to work together," Cuban told The Associated Press after the Mavericks' game Friday night. "It's just a question of in what capacity. You just don't jump from being a boxer to an MMA fighter overnight. He's got to test the waters."

The story was first reported by ESPN.com.

The 30-year-old Mayweather is considered the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world and boxing's No. 1 drawing card. His fights this year with Ricky Hatton and Oscar De La Hoya generated 3.25 million pay-per-view buys, more than $200 million in revenue and earned him about $50 million.

Cuban owns a fledgling mixed martial arts promotional company called HDNet Fights. He's put on two events so far, the latest in Dallas on Dec. 15. The bouts are shown on Cuban's HDNet.

"It would be huge," Cuban said. "He's an icon in boxing. He's conquered that world. He is the champ and he wants to be the biggest grossing all-time champ as well. ... Having him work with MMA and HDNet Fights would be huge. It would take it to a whole other level."

Mayweather and Cuban became friends when they were both contestants this year on "Dancing with the Stars." Cuban was Mayweather's guest at the Hatton fight in Las Vegas on Dec. 8. Mayweather knocked out Hatton to retain his title.

Mayweather and Cuban met again Thursday in Las Vegas and discussed various business ventures.

Leonard Ellerbe, Mayweather's adviser and best friend, told ESPN.com the welterweight champion and was seriously considering a move to MMA.

"It's definitely something he is interested in, and when Floyd makes his move, obviously it's going to be a mega-event," Ellerbe said. "We don't have a timetable. Floyd is taking some time off, but Floyd understands what is involved. You have to take time to go out and understand what you're getting involved in, and he's ready to do that.

A few boxers, such as former heavyweight contenders Ray Mercer and Frans Botha, have attempted to compete in mixed martial arts with little success.

Discuss...

SuperSonic88
12-22-2007, 03:42 PM
if he develops a decent ground game for defense i think he can take out a lot of guys

TPAYNTER
12-22-2007, 03:44 PM
kick ass stading up and ass kicked on the ground

Rockwilder
12-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Why would he do that? He could make way more money boxing and should fight Cotto.

I_R_BABOON
12-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Man if he learns even a mediocre amount of BJJ he is going to be a bad ass. Look at how good some one dimensional fighters careers have been like Chuck Liddell. Now Imagine pound for pound the best boxer in the world. I hate to say it but FLOYD IS GOING TO OWN.

Mr.Hombre
12-22-2007, 03:50 PM
A lot of people point to his obvious disadvantage on the ground...but I think his advantage standing up outweighs his disadvantage on the ground. It would be cool to see. MMA fighters have never had to deal with that kind of speed. And Mayweather is a freak of nature. I bet he could pick up wrestling very fast.

Rockwilder
12-22-2007, 04:00 PM
A lot of people point to his obvious disadvantage on the ground...but I think his advantage standing up outweighs his disadvantage on the ground. It would be cool to see. MMA fighters have never had to deal with that kind of speed. And Mayweather is a freak of nature. I bet he could pick up wrestling very fast.

x2 and with lighter gloves too.

SwagMorris
12-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Has he said anything about fighting Cotto?

vikesfankevin
12-22-2007, 04:07 PM

Vitor Belfour, I think thats how you spell his name, had VERY FAST hands...

bassing68
12-22-2007, 04:13 PM
When ever these questions come up all the Mr. Ithinkiknowitalls come out and start talking like they really know what his ground skills are. How do any of you know he does not already have ground skills. Maybe he also wrestles, maybe he also perticipates in martial arts ot judo or ballet or whatever. Quit assuming.

OatsandSteak
12-22-2007, 04:15 PM
This is just speculation, because Mark Cuban and Floyd Mayweather are friends.I hope he does go over to MMA, it's nothing but more publicity for it and considering that he is a very good athlete he could potentially be a force if he took it serious and worked with some BJJ/Wrestling and kickboxing trainers.

SwagMorris
12-22-2007, 04:17 PM
When ever these questions come up all the Mr. Ithinkiknowitalls come out and start talking like they really know what his ground skills are. How do any of you know he does not already have ground skills. Maybe he also wrestles, maybe he also perticipates in martial arts ot judo or ballet or whatever. Quit assuming.

Doubtful. I'm sure 100% of his training thus far has been dedicated to boxing. Oh, did I make an assumption? Crap.

It's common sense.

Mikey86
12-22-2007, 04:21 PM
Why would he do that? He could make way more money boxing and should fight Cotto.

Negative....Money is in MMA these days...

Kansas
12-22-2007, 04:21 PM
Man if he learns even a mediocre amount of BJJ he is going to be a bad ass. Look at how good some one dimensional fighters careers have been like Chuck Liddell. Now Imagine pound for pound the best boxer in the world. I hate to say it but FLOYD IS GOING TO OWN.

But the thing is, Chuck can be one dimesional because he is able to avoid being taken down so well, most people have no choice but to stand with him. I am assuming Mayweather doesn't have anywhere near the takedown defense as Liddell, heck, not many people in MMA do.

Plus, I think that while most people assume he would be dominant in the stand up, people have to remember that there's more to stand-up than just the fists. He would have to be prepared to be leg kicked, kneed or elbowed in the clinch, he'd have to adjust his style to be prepared for someone to shoot in for the takedown, etc. He couldn't just stand there and do what he does in the boxing ring, that for sure.

The thing about Mayweather is he made the comment that MMA fighters are just guys who couldn't make it in boxing and low level boxers could step into the octagon and beat guys. And that he could step into the UFC and be champion. To prove he is right, to prove that boxers are better fighters than MMAers, wouldn't he have to go in there with no training in ground work? Because if he took time off to train on the ground and develop the ability to avoid being taken down, and train leg kicks, etc., he is no longer just a boxer, he is a mixed martial artist.

Mayweather is unquestionably an amazing fighter, but he couldn't make the transition without the proper training, and to me, that is not what he originally was claiming.

I'm not going to say he would come in and get destroyed (although without proper training, I believe he wouldn't do well at all), because he is an incredible athlete and may well be able to do it.

Mikey86
12-22-2007, 04:22 PM
This is just speculation, because Mark Cuban and Floyd Mayweather are friends.I hope he does go over to MMA, it's nothing but more publicity for it and considering that he is a very good athlete he could potentially be a force if he took it serious and worked with some BJJ/Wrestling and kickboxing trainers.

Again Negative....Cuban and Mayweather were both quoted saying they were both interested and that the potential was there....

This isn't just speculation...

vikesfankevin
12-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Again Negative....Cuban and Mayweather were both quoted saying they were both interested and that the potential was there....

This isn't just speculation...

I'm interested in fuking Jessica Alba :)

wsuwarrior
12-22-2007, 04:27 PM
He would get his ass kicked badly.

Kansas
12-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Vitor Belfour, I think thats how you spell his name, had VERY FAST hands...

Yes he did have fast hands.

Oh, and by the way, it's Belfort.

Mikey86
12-22-2007, 04:30 PM
I'm interested in fuking Justin Timberlake:)

lol...Wut?

vikesfankevin
12-22-2007, 04:33 PM
lol...Wut?

and your 21...wow...

Mikey86
12-22-2007, 04:34 PM
and your 21...wow...

hey.....So are you....Wow?

(Serious..I am 21, what are you saying?)

vikesfankevin
12-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Yes he did have fast hands.

Oh, and by the way, it's Belfort.

Heard his name a lot just don't see it spelled a whole lot :)

vikesfankevin
12-22-2007, 04:36 PM
hey.....So are you....Wow?

(Serious..I am 21, what are you saying?)

I'm 21 too but I'm not fake editing peoples posts.

Mikey86
12-22-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm 21 too but I'm not fake editing peoples posts.

No your not....But we are in here discussing a serious sports crossover and you say immature, ignorant things such as: "Im interested in Fuc*in Jessica Alba"...What did this have to do with anything? Obviously you ARE into writing dumb messages....

vikesfankevin
12-22-2007, 04:43 PM
No your not....But we are in here discussing a serious sports crossover and you say immature, ignorant things such as: "Im interested in Fuc*in Jessica Alba"...What did this have to do with anything? Obviously you ARE into writing dumb messages....

What I was getting at is jus because someone is saying they are "interested" in something doesn't mean its going to happen. It would be cool to see Mayweather in MMA but like a few people have said...it hasn't happened yet...

eol
12-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Mayweather has the hands part down. I'll give you that. But what about:
-Feet
-Knees
-Elbows
-Takedowns
-Grappling
-Submissions
-Ground Striking
And all of those have both offense and defense.

Mikey86
12-22-2007, 04:45 PM
What I was getting at is jus because someone is saying they are "interested" in something doesn't mean its going to happen. It would be cool to see Mayweather in MMA but like a few people have said...it hasn't happened yet...

Oh...My apologies...Didn't see it in that sense...

vikesfankevin
12-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Oh...My apologies...Didn't see it in that sense...

Its ok you are right. I should have at least put an explanation.

DiamondDelts
12-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Bull****.

bigpushup
12-22-2007, 04:59 PM
this is gonna do wonders for mma

vikesfankevin
12-22-2007, 05:08 PM
this is gonna do wonders for mma

This would be a HUGE point in the argument that MMA is becoming bigger than boxing...

Mikey86
12-22-2007, 05:19 PM
This would be a HUGE point in the argument that MMA is becoming bigger than boxing...

True...I guess he is just trying to follow the money...I think boxers and MMA fighters are two completely different people though. I cant see "Pretty Boy" Floyd actually FIGHTING...The thought is crazy to me.

vikesfankevin
12-22-2007, 05:25 PM
True...I guess he is just trying to follow the money...I think boxers and MMA fighters are two completely different people though. I cant see "Pretty Boy" Floyd actually FIGHTING...The thought is crazy to me.

Yea I feel the same way. I have been in one real fight in my life...He was a decent boxer...lucky for me my school was ranked 6th in the nation in wrestling...I didn't "kick his ass" but he sure left me the hell alone...

kingarty
12-22-2007, 05:27 PM
ass kicked.

boxing isn't that helpful in MMA.

NYY
12-22-2007, 05:37 PM

Negative........Mayweather made millions from his last fight and will make millions if he fights Cotto.

Mikey86
12-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Negative........Mayweather made millions from his last fight and will make millions if he fights Cotto.

You obviously have no idea.....Mayweather made millions from these last to fights because of who he is and who he fought.... Cotto IS NOT the face of De La Hoya or Hatton...

Yes he would make money off of Cotto...A lot...BUT....not nearly over time as much as turning to MMA....Thats where the market is these days....

Rotty101
12-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Id like to see mayweather vs anderson silva. See if everyone still thinks hes the pound for pound best fighter which is ****ing bull****.

Disenfranchised
12-22-2007, 05:50 PM
MMA is so different than what he does in the boxing ring though. But hell he's an amazing athlete and already 'mastered' a combat sport, give him a year of training and I think he could win.

SwagMorris
12-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Id like to see mayweather vs anderson silva. See if everyone still thinks hes the pound for pound best fighter which is ****ing bull****.

Does your mother know you talk like that?

Anderson Silva fights at like 40 pounds more than Mayweather... that's why it's called "Pound for Pound"

KingCanuck
12-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Does your mother know you talk like that?

Anderson Silva fights at like 40 pounds more than Mayweather... that's why it's called "Pound for Pound"

word

Carpathia
12-22-2007, 06:19 PM

You obviously have no idea.....Mayweather made millions from these last to fights because of who he is and who he fought.... Cotto IS NOT the face of De La Hoya or Hatton...

Yes he would make money off of Cotto...A lot...BUT....not nearly over time as much as turning to MMA....Thats where the market is these days....

i really am not sure what an mma purse is, but i find it EXTREMELY hard to believe its anywhere near what maywheather makes for his fights
id like to see some figures to back up your claims that mma purses are larger

Mr.Hombre
12-22-2007, 06:45 PM
yeah, i don't know what that person is talking about. mma is not where the money's at. haha

Mayweather remained unbeaten in 38 fights and won a title in his fifth weight class, moving up from welterweight to challenge De La Hoya in a fight that earned De La Hoya at least $25 million (euro18.5 million) and Mayweather at least $10 million (euro7.4 million). The $19 million (euro14 million) live gate was a record for the sport, and there were predictions the pay-per-view sales would make the fight boxing's richest ever.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,270252,00.html

also, I believe Mayweather racked in $20 million for whooping Hatton's ass. lol if anybody thinks mma purses are this big.

cman1787
12-22-2007, 07:40 PM

lol. floyd probably made more in two fights this year than every fighter in the ufc combined

mma aint becoming bigger than boxing, thats just dana white propaganda. when 50 million people in china watch an mma fight let me know

Mikey86
12-22-2007, 09:30 PM
MMA is selling more tickets, selling out more arenas and doing more things....Name the heavyweight boxing champ without looking it up? Name the light weight?
Now to the same for MMA....Easier huh? Give it two more years....

Rockwilder
12-22-2007, 10:04 PM

umm no its not MMA fighters get payed fraction of what boxers get payed.

Mr.Hombre
12-22-2007, 10:22 PM
MMA is selling more tickets, selling out more arenas and doing more things....Name the heavyweight boxing champ without looking it up? Name the light weight?
Now to the same for MMA....Easier huh? Give it two more years....

boxing may be dying, but it's still way ahead of mma. mma is merely a tiny subculture right now. tell me the next time you see anything mma-related on espn. also, do you really believe there's more money in mma? honestly, answer that. let me know if liddell or anybody else has won $20 million in a title fight.

and to answer your questions, most people probably couldn't name 2 mma fighters.

Mr.Hombre
12-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Haha. Here's the biggest purse ever for an MMA fight.

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson's purse for relieving Chuck Liddell of his UFC light-heavyweight title belt on the weekend was US$225,000, less than half of what The Iceman made.

Purse figures released by the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Tuesday show that Liddell's basic paycheque was $500,000. Liddell no doubt made considerably more through bonuses in his UFC contract and probably a cut of the lucrative pay-per-view, but the UFC does not disclose such information.

Jackson needed just one minute 53 seconds to win the title.

The main event accounted for $725,000 of the $920,500 purse money on Saturday night's mixed martial arts card at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, according to the Nevada commission. The remaining $195,500 was split among 16 fighters.

http://www.mmauniverse.com/news/SS1541

Mayweather has probably spent more in one night in a club on cristal and "making it rain"

thor93
12-22-2007, 10:39 PM

i absolutely agree...he has these spindly girlylike 11" forearms....he'll just be wayyy too weak against a badass grappler....even a mediocre grappler can get ahold of him and completely dominate em and decimate his attempts to switch/convert the fight from the ground....he's kind of like a cat.....basically nothing,without the quick swattin paws n claws....reminicent,anyways.

2kool4skool
12-22-2007, 10:52 PM
tell me the next time you see anything mma-related on espn.

Ok, I'll let you know one of the 10 times it is mentioned this week.

Mr.Hombre
12-22-2007, 11:02 PM
Ok, I'll let you know one of the 10 times it is mentioned this week.

on espn? i watch espn prwtty often. and i've been sick these last two days, so espn, espn 2, espn news. etc have been on pretty much all day. i haven't seen or heard on mention of mma.

but really, that's beside the point anyway. some guy said there's more money for mayweather in mma than in boxing, and i refuted that.

i like mma. i'm not a hater, and have been a fan since the gracie days. i'm just trying to put things into perspective.

gjohnson5
12-22-2007, 11:12 PM
I agree

Mayweather vs Cotta still wayyy out grosses Mayweather vs BJ Penn or Jens Pulver or Sean Sherk

i really am not sure what an mma purse is, but i find it EXTREMELY hard to believe its anywhere near what maywheather makes for his fights

2kool4skool
12-22-2007, 11:18 PM
on espn? i watch espn prwtty often. and i've been sick these last two days, so espn, espn 2, espn news. etc have been on pretty much all day. i haven't seen or heard on mention of mma.

They usually interview one fighter or Dana White every day on the Hot List on ESPNNews the week leading up to a PPV. They also broadcast the weigh ins live on ESPN News, and usuallly have at least one interview on Sportscenter a day or two before the PPV.

Pretty Boy Floyd
12-23-2007, 01:58 AM
he shoulds do this, bad move on his part, boxing brings him much more money and fame and he's considered the absolute best in his sport

MMA will benefit from him, but he will not benefit from MMA

its like MJ going to play baseball

dontcare
12-23-2007, 02:35 AM

The top mma fighters don't get payed nearly as much as the top boxers.
When Liddell fought Jardine last time, I think it was in Sept., Jardine was payed around 15,000 for that fight. Now Jardine isn't a big name like Mayweather, however I feel Chuck Liddell is, he has been for the last few years the face of the UFC.
Liddell was payed 500,000 for that fight. Mayweather wouldn't even enter a boxing ring for 500,000.

Also to note Jardine would have been paid 7,000 had he lost the fight. He was given 7,000 to show and 7,000 for the win.

solidus2k3
12-23-2007, 02:52 AM
x2

eol
12-23-2007, 11:56 AM
lol @ all the boxing nuthuggers. Boxing is NOT fighting. It is punching. Mayweather is a great puncher but he is not a great fighter. He would have absolutely no chance in the UFC against anyone versed in MT, Wrestling, or BJJ.

7jJgg3XHLhs

Mikey86
12-23-2007, 03:23 PM
boxing may be dying, but it's still way ahead of mma. mma is merely a tiny subculture right now. tell me the next time you see anything mma-related on espn. also, do you really believe there's more money in mma? honestly, answer that. let me know if liddell or anybody else has won $20 million in a title fight.

and to answer your questions, most people probably couldn't name 2 mma fighters.

He made that much for TWO fights...HE HAS NEVER MADE THAT MUCH!

There are only a handful of boxers making that much......He makes most of his money off of endorsements and his promotion company...not boxing....

Mikey86
12-23-2007, 03:24 PM
he shoulds do this, bad move on his part, boxing brings him much more money and fame and he's considered the absolute best in his sport

MMA will benefit from him, but he will not benefit from MMA

its like MJ going to play baseball

Negged for talking **** about MJ....DONT EVER DO THAT!...(J/K)

CLiTMASTA
12-23-2007, 03:31 PM
lol @ all the boxing nuthuggers. Boxing is NOT fighting. It is punching. Mayweather is a great puncher but he is not a great fighter. He would have absolutely no chance in the UFC against anyone versed in MT, Wrestling, or BJJ.

7jJgg3XHLhs

Do you know that Floyd is the best world class boxer right now? Do you know no one in the mma can match Floyd's Speed, Stamina, Accuracy, and punching ability, Do you know it only takes 1 punch from Mayweather to knock out any mma fighter? Do you know punching is the fastest striking move? "boxing not fighting" are you ****ing serious?

Mr.Hombre
12-23-2007, 04:59 PM
He made that much for TWO fights...HE HAS NEVER MADE THAT MUCH!

There are only a handful of boxers making that much......He makes most of his money off of endorsements and his promotion company...not boxing....

I don't know quite who you are referring to, but Mayweather made $10 million from the Hoya fight, and a little over $20 million in the Hatton fight. Those are just base numbers two. when you account for his percentage of PPV sales rights:

"between the De La Hoya fight and Hatton purse, Mayweather will earn close to $50 million on his bouts this year." http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1692484,00.html

the most liddell has made in a fight is $500,000. I even gave you a link. You need to back up your claims.

and yes, not many boxers make $10 million and up in a single fight. but the "rest" still get paid WAY MORE than mma fighters. for the rampage vs. liddell fight, $750,000 was split among the two. THE REST OF THE 16 FIGHTERS HAD TO SPLIT $195,000.

you're in complete denial, and are straight up talking out of your ass.

and no **** about liddell making maybe more of endorsements and sport. most "faces" of specific sports do.

=T Bone=
12-23-2007, 05:50 PM
He would have to change his standup for the simple fact boxers arent used to protecting there legs. And then he would have to learn the groundgame. He's a one diminsional fighter and will get his cocky ass kicked against any good mma fighter. Yeah he can punch, so can ray mercer.And we all saw how easy kimbo put him in a guillitine. I say throw him in a cage with little evil.

NYY
12-23-2007, 05:59 PM

7jJgg3XHLhs

lol @ the MMA nuthugger who claims boxing isn't fighting calling out the boxing nuthuggers. I admit I'm a huge fan of boxing, but I respect MMA. All I ever hear from MMA fans is that 'Boxing is dead" or any other bull**** that bad mouths it.

NYY
12-23-2007, 06:02 PM

Please shut the **** up, Mr "I'm talking out of my ass cause I'm an ignorant fuking moron"

eol
12-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Do you know that Floyd is the best world class boxer right now? Do you know no one in the mma can match Floyd's Speed, Stamina, Accuracy, and punching ability, Do you know it only takes 1 punch from Mayweather to knock out any mma fighter? Do you know punching is the fastest striking move? "boxing not fighting" are you ****ing serious?
u mad?

Boxing is not fighting. It's a punching contest, and punching is only one of the many different aspects of fighting. I'm not oblivious, so I know that Mayweather is a great boxer, and considered the best p4p in the world. But if you think PBF could walk into MMA and KO everybody, you're a complete moron. I'm sure you could talk about his hands, boxing defense, and boxing footwork all day. But please, tell me how good his knees, elbows, kicks, wrestling, takedowns, grappling, submissions (there are dozens), ground striking, MT defense, takedown defense, submission defense, and ground striking defense is. PBF would get crushed in the UFC by any LW with a decent ground game.

Pretty Boy Floyd
12-24-2007, 01:34 AM
lol @ the MMA nuthugger who claims boxing isn't fighting calling out the boxing nuthuggers. I admit I'm a huge fan of boxing, but I respect MMA. All I ever hear from MMA fans is that 'Boxing is dead" or any other bull**** that bad mouths it.

repped

Mikey86
12-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Mayweather is a fighter...boxing is fighting...

cman1787
12-24-2007, 12:50 PM
u mad?

Boxing is not fighting. It's a punching contest, and punching is only one of the many different aspects of fighting. I'm not oblivious, so I know that Mayweather is a great boxer, and considered the best p4p in the world. But if you think PBF could walk into MMA and KO everybody, you're a complete moron. I'm sure you could talk about his hands, boxing defense, and boxing footwork all day. But please, tell me how good his knees, elbows, kicks, wrestling, takedowns, grappling, submissions (there are dozens), ground striking, MT defense, takedown defense, submission defense, and ground striking defense is. PBF would get crushed in the UFC by any LW with a decent ground game.

if boxing isn't fighting, then what does that make mma????? wrestling?????

Russia25
12-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Okay so heres whats going to happen.

Mayweather is going to fight in HDNet Fights.

Does HDNet fights even have any good fighters?

Im afraid of Mayweather coming in and fighting some chump champion from this Mark Cuban association instead of a high level guy like Serra.