PDA

View Full Version : Question about overall Diet

Thome25
11-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Hello,

It looks like you get a question like this on a daily basis, but please bare with me! I am new to this site and have learned so much already!

I am very confussed regarding my diet and my overall totals (Calories, Fats, Carbs, Protein, Etc.) that I should be shooting for on a daily basis. I am 36 years old and just got back into working out after about an 8 year layoff (Got Married, Have Kids, etc.). I have been back lifting for power for just about a year now, and would like to shed my gut that I have gained over that past eight years. In doing so, I do not want to loss my strength in the process. I currently weigh 230, but would like to get down to 215, and eventually get down to the 200 range. Currently my diet consist of a daily intake of around 1900 calories; 30-40 grams of Fat; 170 grams of Carbs; and 220 in Protein. After about a week of this, I found that I am lagging on my workouts with no energy and sure it is because of the lack of carbs. This has made me very frustrated, even to the extent of asking a counselor at the gym, and after about a 15 min talk he wanted to sell me a $300 package that would include everything that I am not interested in.... I see diets that are Higher in Calories; Carbs, etc., but I am hesitatant because I want to lose my weight and gain strength at the same time. With all this said, my question is what range should I be targeting to do both? I know it is going to depend on a lot of variable, and if so, can anyone suggest the right way "please not the most expensive way" that I can get this information.

Also, my workout routine is just upper body, and cardio 4-5 times a week. I plan on getting back into legs within the next couple weeks.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any feedback you may have!

I really appreciate your help!

Ryan

RipStone
11-02-2005, 04:50 AM
If this is how you typically eat(which I dont see why it wouldnt be) then you should already have a great idea of how many calories you are consuming per day currently.

Then ask yourself have you been gaining/losing/maintaining weight eating like this? Depending on the answer and your goals(lose/gain weight) you can make changes to your current diet.

For example, lets say you find out you are eating 2500 cals a day right now. And eating this amount you are maintaing your weight. However, you want to lose weight. So you would start eating 250-500 cals les per day in order to lose about 1/2-1lb a week. Vice versa if you want to gain weight.