PDA

View Full Version : Losing weight without lifting...I have no choice

IanHummel
10-31-2005, 07:56 AM
Alright guys, I'm going to begin dieting hard and consistantly and start the journey to fat loss. However, I cannot lift. I have a bad shoulder that eventually needs surgery (it can and will go out at any time if I put too much pressure on it or torque it the wrong way) so lifting is out of the question. I pretty much going to diet hard and hit up the eliptical for about 45 minutes each day. Any other tips?

nate.the.great
10-31-2005, 08:09 AM
I wouldn't necessarily "diet hard". Choose one of the many posted diets on this forum, and take sesathin. I think sticking to a consistent and healthy diet is the way to go. You can also take lipo 6 or san tight if you aren't worried about guggulsterones.

mickgreen58
10-31-2005, 08:10 AM
You dont have to lift weights to lose weight. I lost 60 Lbs and before I started lifting weights, which was just last week. I ran about 2-4 miles 6 days out of the week on Concrete which has my left knee sore.

I would try and work on my lower body if my upper body was hurt. As I stated, running for 3 years on Concrete has my Left Knee sore, so I had to purchase a membership at the Rec next to the track I use to run at.

My knee is not too sore because I run on the treadmill. But if I were you, I would work on the portion of the body that is not sore. The muscles you build in those areas of your body will still help you to lose weight overall because you cannot Spot Reduce.

Also, IMO, diet is the most important thing you need to lose weight, so you are fine.

- Mike G.

IanHummel
10-31-2005, 08:24 AM
So San Tight, SesaThin, running every day, and eating right and I should be good to go. I'm kind of on a budget right now, if I had to pick between one of the two products mentioned above, what should I go with?

Rocksmtu
10-31-2005, 08:27 AM
Hey man I feel your shoulder pain. I had mine opperated on and it still pops out now and again. Before you have it opperated on I suggest that you go to a physcial therapist and try to rehab it first. I didnt do that. I just went ahead and had it opperated on and I still cant throw a ball overhand. The surgery was a waste in my opinion. Each case is different and it might work for you. I am just suggesting that you try other means first.

Since I have been lifting regularly I have had fewer occurences of my shoulder popping out.

But as far as your question you should have no problem dropping some lbs by just doing cardio. Make sure you eat and eat right.

How much do you want to loose?

IanHummel
10-31-2005, 08:53 AM
I'm 6'1 and 225 right now, would like to eventually get down to 190-200. As far as the shoulder goes, I messed it up once, then rehabbed it. Then last summer, I was doing shoulder presses (just warming up, very low weight, and yes, I do know how to lift and I was doing it right) and BOOM, out it went again. went and got the MRI and all that, and it's officially ****ed. Any thoughts on to use either San Tight or SeasaThin?

nithos
10-31-2005, 09:49 AM
Word of warning, once they cut you open, your shoulder will never be the same. I am still waiting for my shoulder to spontaniously combust. Until then, I limit myself to 70lb overhead dumbbell presses.

Khryz
10-31-2005, 01:13 PM
Here too with shoulder surgery. Genetically I have weak tendons and strained my shoulder big time, over a dozen times in basketball (diving on the floor), football, and baseball (head first sliding). I could've over-extend my shoulder without it dis-locating. Took me about 1 hour after the surgery to get the strength back to start lifting, and yeah, like someone said - it will never be the same. The connective tissues that I damanged weakened my shoulder strength a lot, and severely affects me in any push movements (especially military press). My left arm will shoot right up into the air and my right arm will stagger and I'll need a spot. It sucks because I know I could be lifting a lot more.

In any case, just because you can't stimulate muscle growth in your shoulder/upper body area doesn't mean you still can't lift. I'm sure you can still do heavy squats, and basically all leg workouts (that's half your body right there!) to keep a muscle stimulus to preserve overall muscle definition. If you were like me you can still workout with your shoulder in the anatomical position (against your side), doing like biceps/triceps, etc, correct?

Definately DO NOT try and lift too early after your surgery and further injury it, it needs to heal (which takes about a year). Don't rush it or you'll regret it. I'm lucky that I can still lift very heavy with my shoulder and experience no pain (although slightly weaker) which is okay.

IanHummel
10-31-2005, 02:35 PM
I'm going in for surgery in Jan. but I refuse to do any lifting involving my shoulders for what looks to be now and for quite some time. Curls yes, basic tricep excercises yes, but no shoulders or benching. I guess I'm just scared to go through that pain again for a 3rd time before my surgery, not to mention, my health insurance will not be happy. My main goal is to loose weight and hit the cardio and diet hard. In the end the only question I have no is Sesa-Thin or San Tight?

As far as my diet goes, I'm a fast paced college student that works in the bar industry. I'm up late and sleep late. With that said, it's hard for me to eat 6 "meals" a day. I'm going to wake up, and have a couple eggs. Next at some point I'll have a protien pudding or shake. For lunch, I'll usually eat a deli sandwich with a small bit of fat free mayo and cheese on wheat bread. Dinner is usually some sort of chicken or lean meat and veggies. That sound ok?

IanHummel
10-31-2005, 05:44 PM
bump, anyone?

Khryz
10-31-2005, 06:59 PM
I'm going in for surgery in Jan. but I refuse to do any lifting involving my shoulders for what looks to be now and for quite some time. Curls yes, basic tricep excercises yes, but no shoulders or benching. I guess I'm just scared to go through that pain again for a 3rd time before my surgery, not to mention, my health insurance will not be happy. My main goal is to loose weight and hit the cardio and diet hard. In the end the only question I have no is Sesa-Thin or San Tight?

I would just do legs, now that I think about it. Even doing arms stresses your shoulder muscles for stabilizers.

As far as my diet goes, I'm a fast paced college student that works in the bar industry. I'm up late and sleep late. With that said, it's hard for me to eat 6 "meals" a day. I'm going to wake up, and have a couple eggs. Next at some point I'll have a protien pudding or shake. For lunch, I'll usually eat a deli sandwich with a small bit of fat free mayo and cheese on wheat bread. Dinner is usually some sort of chicken or lean meat and veggies. That sound ok?

Post your stats (height, weight, BF, etc). That doesn't seem like enough calories even if you're trying to lose weight. Little calories + lots of cardio isn't a good combo.

IanHummel
10-31-2005, 09:31 PM
I'm 6'1 225 23 years old right now, I don't know my body fat, but it's definitly around the mid 20's. I just dont have the time to whip up all the concoctions (sp?) that you all do. :( What do you rec? I'll PM you a link to my picture.

matwgood
11-01-2005, 12:40 AM
Actually got a question on the subject of shoulders. I had did a 3rd degree seperation of my left should about 6 years ago(my wife loves seeing my collar bone stick out) Anyways I never had surgery because the doc said it would be just purley cosmetic but to this day my should pops and hurts when I do any bench press(except on the hammer strength which i just found out) so my chest always lagged. Anybody reccommend going to have it looked at again? I just figured that it would always be this way and i would just have to live with it.