PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Alcohols

MsDominatus
10-28-2005, 07:03 AM
Do these have an insulin affect ? What are they and how do they differ from actual sugar? Some of the foods I buy when i'm in a hurrty for class have these and claim to be low carb (i'm not on a low carb diet, just watch my sugars)... it's a little confusing so I just want to make sure that i'm not making a mistake by eating them.

image101
10-28-2005, 07:15 AM
Sugar alcohols are trickly little things. I would suggest doing a search because I can't say I know the exact mechanics of them off the top of my head, but I would suggest avoiding them unless you absolutely have to have a snack.

The Doc
10-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Sugar alcohols, though listed by their weight content within the food as listed in the Nutrition Facts panel, are not metabolized the way true sugars are.

They are considered a reduced-calorie sweetener because they are absorbed slowly and incompletely by the intestine. Because sugar alcohols are incompletely absorbed, the FDA allows the labeling and assignment of less energy per gram to these nutritive sweeteners.

Sugar provides about 4.0 calories per gram, whereas sugar alcohols could provide from 0.2 to up to 3.0 calories per gram. Most professionals use the factor of 2.4 calories per gram, slightly more than half of what sugar would provide, to estimate energy provided. Typically, a product containing 10 grams of sugar alcohol is roughly equal to 5 grams of sugar (carbohydrate).

Sugar alcohols are thought to cause less of an insulin response in the body. Sugar alcohols can be useful for people living with diabetes because of the small calorie reduction as compared with sugar, along with smaller increases in blood glucose and insulin levels.

The Doc

Lee Hsiao Lung
10-28-2005, 04:32 PM
haha i knew the doc would come in on this one

i would rep you again, but cant until later- good info. tho

Wtf?
10-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Yes they give insulin spikes. (They're not supposed to, but I've eaten products with it on Keto and definitley got them)

They can also cause cravings..even a day later. Atkins Advantage bars do it to me all the time..whether I'm on keto or not.

They can also give you gas or have a laxative effect and make you ****. "Low carb icecreams" or "low carb candy" is more known for that.