PDA

View Full Version : Lost 11%BF and 40lbs in 4months... but progress stopped needhelp :(

bigjoe87865
10-27-2005, 09:28 AM
Hey... back during summer i was 240lbs 40% BF... and now im 200lbs 29%BF but i havnt seen any improvements for almost a month.. it like stopped... what should i do?

im on a 1800-2000 cal diet 240ish protien , >150 carbs , fats i think around 30 not sure

im 6feet almost 6'1

3days weights , 3 days cardio

my goal was to reach 15% by christmas

Thestef
10-27-2005, 11:45 AM
I'm not expert, but if the progress stopped, there are 2 things you can try.

Lower your calories even more, or do more Cardio.
If your 200lbs at 29% body fat, you truly only have 142lbs of lean mass, so even 2000 cal might be to high since you want to lose more Fat.

Another explanation is that you don't have that extra 40lbs of fat to carry around with you so your muscles are not working as hard as they used to and are not burning off as many calories.

StrongEnough?
10-27-2005, 11:51 AM
HUH? You're 6'1, 200lbs, and you have 29%BF? Where are you getting your BF reading from?

Thestef
10-27-2005, 11:55 AM
I was really surpized also when you said 29% body fat.. and being 6,1

But my brother is 6,3 and only weights 160lbs... so anything is possible

rfd120
10-27-2005, 12:08 PM
You have to remember to adjust your calorie intake according to your body weight every few weeks.

IRCRomeo
10-27-2005, 01:20 PM
I was really surpized also when you said 29% body fat.. and being 6,1

But my brother is 6,3 and only weights 160lbs... so anything is possible

I'm 6'1" and 180lbs. I have a built frame though, when friends I have who are my height are 145lbs. They just don't have any muscle.

yahyo
10-27-2005, 01:38 PM
Im gonna have to disagree, dont lower your calories, your already eating borderline not enough. Increase your calories, min you should have is 2000 calories, but i would gradually increase to 2500, I would also increase the fat, and make sure it comes from healthy fats.

bigjoe87865
10-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Im gonna have to disagree, dont lower your calories, your already eating borderline not enough. Increase your calories, min you should have is 2000 calories, but i would gradually increase to 2500, I would also increase the fat, and make sure it comes from healthy fats.

hmmm tell me more

yes... im almost 6 1... but ill just say im 6... and 29% i got it from my scale... *digital*... has BF thing on it... but even tho if its inaccurate.. iv used it from the begning... when i first started i was 40... n on the same machine.. i now am 29... so i lost 11... which is acurate...

also most people who have seen me in person agree with 29ish...

ironchefjon
10-29-2005, 12:41 PM
Check your calorie intake again. I'm sure you are watching your calories very carefully but people have a tendency to UNDER ESTIMATE their actual calorie intake.

If possible, increase your cardio workout. Increasing intensity or adding the number of days you work out will help compensate your reduced BMR due to your weight loss (good-job btw!). That's why people have problems getting rid of those last 10-15 lbs.

turbos10
10-29-2005, 06:55 PM
Eat more!!! You are not eating near enough. I am 5'8" cutting from 195. On a 24-2600 calorie diet I have lost down to 180. I would recommend getting to a 40/40/20 split on macros. Eat six meals a day and try to get most the carbs in the first four. Stick to veggies for number 5 if possible, and only protein and fat before bed. Check out the fat loss forum for a ton of information.

bigjoe87865
10-30-2005, 02:49 AM
Eat more!!! You are not eating near enough. I am 5'8" cutting from 195. On a 24-2600 calorie diet I have lost down to 180. I would recommend getting to a 40/40/20 split on macros. Eat six meals a day and try to get most the carbs in the first four. Stick to veggies for number 5 if possible, and only protein and fat before bed. Check out the fat loss forum for a ton of information.

yea this is what im doing... cept differnt numbers... like i get carbs in the first 4 veggies/protien/fat in the last 2

but u sure i need around 2600? i mean... i dont have much lean body mass... so my fat also needs calories??

turbos10
10-30-2005, 06:24 AM
It is just a suggestion, and if your lean mass is that low, it might not work for you. However, if you are not loosing weight you need to change something. I would guess you have been on a calorie deficit diet for at least 3-4 months. If that is the case, your metabolism has adjusted and you are going to have to do something to reset it. Increasing calories slowly to about 2500 or so should do the trick. You may even find that you start to drop more fat and add more muscle. Make sure you are using measurments and calipers to measure progress and not just a scale.

I am also curious what kind of weight workouts you are doing and how long you have been lifting as well as what your cardio looks like.

Again, the fat loss forum here has a ton of great information on all this stuff.

bigjoe87865
11-03-2005, 05:38 AM
It is just a suggestion, and if your lean mass is that low, it might not work for you. However, if you are not loosing weight you need to change something. I would guess you have been on a calorie deficit diet for at least 3-4 months. If that is the case, your metabolism has adjusted and you are going to have to do something to reset it. Increasing calories slowly to about 2500 or so should do the trick. You may even find that you start to drop more fat and add more muscle. Make sure you are using measurments and calipers to measure progress and not just a scale.

I am also curious what kind of weight workouts you are doing and how long you have been lifting as well as what your cardio looks like.

Again, the fat loss forum here has a ton of great information on all this stuff.

i see... i do the regular 3day split.. n try to use heavy weights... 4-6reps aint that strong or anything ..

curls 45lbs dumbells
db press 70lbs dumbells

so which numbers should i use to get a better lean body mass?... i dont care if my weight goes up or anything.. just want the fat to go ... n if possible replace it with muscle

right now im on 2000 cal diet 240ish protien and less than 150ish carbs... dont know fat

how much calories should i aim for to meet this goal?

and also.. is it the right time for creatine?... i dont have a prblm with taking it... its just some people said to hld it and wait a few months till im "used" to this working out.. then start taking it... as of now.. all i take is whey

ChocoChick
11-03-2005, 05:59 AM

Bump to this.

Also, the digital scales do a HORRIBLE job of calculating bodyfat. You'd be better off posting a pic and letting folks here eyeball it. Or, better yet, have someone at your gym meaure it with calipers. Unless you have been bed-ridden for the last year, I find it extremely difficult to believe that you could be at 29%bf at your height and weight.

Are you using fitday.com (free) or something similar to track your calories and macros? If not, start. You need to know what you are consuming so that you can see the effect of changes. Otherwise, you're just floudering.

You also need to get a handle on your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). Here's a site to get you started. Be sure to go to page 2 and apply the activity factor that best describes your situation (I actually recommend that you pick an activity factor one less than the one that seems to fit as these tend to be overstated, imo.) http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ Once you've done that, you'll have a ROUGH guide of how many calories you need to maintain your current weight. TO lose, eat roughly 15%-20% less. Don't be fooled into thinking that dropping your calories even lower will speed things up -- typically this backfires because the human body is designed to protect itself from famines and will slow its metabolism to adjust for the lower intake. You will lose faster -- and you will be more likely to lose fat then muscle -- if you stick to an amount in the range I mentioned.

Finally, what does your lifting program look like? Are you lifting heavy, i.e., really challenging yourself? Building muscle is the bext fat-buster there is.

bigjoe87865
11-04-2005, 05:49 AM
Bump to this.

Also, the digital scales do a HORRIBLE job of calculating bodyfat. You'd be better off posting a pic and letting folks here eyeball it. Or, better yet, have someone at your gym meaure it with calipers. Unless you have been bed-ridden for the last year, I find it extremely difficult to believe that you could be at 29%bf at your height and weight.

Are you using fitday.com (free) or something similar to track your calories and macros? If not, start. You need to know what you are consuming so that you can see the effect of changes. Otherwise, you're just floudering.

You also need to get a handle on your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). Here's a site to get you started. Be sure to go to page 2 and apply the activity factor that best describes your situation (I actually recommend that you pick an activity factor one less than the one that seems to fit as these tend to be overstated, imo.) http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ Once you've done that, you'll have a ROUGH guide of how many calories you need to maintain your current weight. TO lose, eat roughly 15%-20% less. Don't be fooled into thinking that dropping your calories even lower will speed things up -- typically this backfires because the human body is designed to protect itself from famines and will slow its metabolism to adjust for the lower intake. You will lose faster -- and you will be more likely to lose fat then muscle -- if you stick to an amount in the range I mentioned.

Finally, what does your lifting program look like? Are you lifting heavy, i.e., really challenging yourself? Building muscle is the bext fat-buster there is.
hey... thnx .. i went n used the BMI meter on that side... i guess my scale is wrong... and my bodyfat is 19%..*sidenote... my scale has an athlete mode and wit that on i have 15%*

im gonna calculate the stuff using the harris something formula in a bit