PDA

View Full Version : How to get enough calories with a busy schedule?

DUILEE
10-26-2005, 03:56 AM
I'm starting to wither away damnit. In the past getting enough calories has never been a problem but this semester I'm taking 24 hours of class a week and on a typical day I'm at school from 8:30 in the morning until 9-10 at night with a couple hours off around 5pm (the 24 hours only represents actual class time, I spend about 6 hours a day in a design studio working on projects and what not). I'll usually wake up at 5am and eat some oatmeal before I work out. After lifting I get a PWO shake in and then its off to my morning lecture. This is where the problems start. After my first class(8:30-9:30) I'm usually starving but unfortunately the only thing to eat at that time on campus is MacDonald's, not exactly the ideal way to get calories. I usually break down and get a sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit just so I can get a couple grams of protein in me and I don't go catabolic. After that I have a couple more classes and then lunch at 12:30. Luckily they have a Blimpie on campus so I can get a semi-decent meal for lunch but eating the same damn sandwiches day in and day out for the last 2 years is proving to be pretty damn difficult. Anyways, after lunch I have a 4 hour marathon class from 1:30 to 5:30 and then a break. Usually I'll go home for a couple hours and get dinner but then its back to school for 2-4 more hours at night. I haven't even attempted to calculate my caloric intake lately but its definitely low which doesn't work well when you're on a bulk. The real kicker is next semester I'm taking even more classes and apparently the program I'm in only gets worse after that so I need some kind of permanent solution to this problem or else 3 years of lifting goes down the drain. Does anybody have suggestions on quick, on-the-go meals and healthy snacks that I could bring with me to class? I need help quick, I've already dropped down to 200lbs. after working my ass off for 3 years to reach that number.

Lee Hsiao Lung
10-26-2005, 04:27 AM
i must admit i did not even read your post b/c i am so pressed for time right now, but from the title i decided i would just put up some basics
if your rushed for time stick to nutritionally dense foods, there was just a thread about such foods yesterday but here are just a couple :sweet potatoes, pasta, nuts, avacados, ricotta cheese ect....
if you have to constantly be on the go, just put stuff in a bag
it is really easy to (the night before) make 2 or 3 individual bags of nuts or what not and just munch on them when your in the car or at work ect...
a key thing is to try and avoid eating a mass amount of cals at once to make up for you pressed time, eating less longer will be much better than eating alot quicker
so if that means eating 10 nuts every 30 min. do it instead of eating 40 nuts every 2 hours (that is an exaggeration but you get the point haha)