PDA

View Full Version : dextrose post workout

ironraider52
12-15-2007, 03:35 PM
im on a cut right now, and i was wondering if dextrose post workout would be good or bad?? because honestly could somebody fill me in because i really dont get the whole post workout insulin spike.

comedic.genious
12-15-2007, 03:37 PM
im on a cut right now, and i was wondering if dextrose post workout would be good or bad?? because honestly could somebody fill me in because i really dont get the whole post workout insulin spike.it what i use

in10city
12-15-2007, 03:38 PM
im on a cut right now, and i was wondering if dextrose post workout would be good or bad?? because honestly could somebody fill me in because i really dont get the whole post workout insulin spike.
This is a common topic ...

Do post-exercise carbs actually help? (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3519361)

Depending on what the training regimen is like, a good dose of Leucine + whey hydrolysate will go along way ... With the exception of rapid glycogen repletion, the other needs (insulin stimulation, halt catabolism, protein synthesis, etc...) can be met without gorging on carbs after. Can one benefit from the intake of some - yes. Required - no, given an appropriate scenario and that other conditions are met.

There are both an insulin dependant and insulin independant pathway to protein synthesis. They are synergistic and there is an additive effect. A small increase in insulin + a high level of amino acids is more anabolic than either alone.

Regarding glycogen... if your training is typified by 1 hour sessions once per day, straight sets, low reps, long rest periods, then you're not going to be putting much drain on your glycogen. If your training is the complete opposite of this - longer 90+ min sessions, no straight sets - all supersets, giant sets, drop sets, extended TUT, and short rest periods, this will put a larger drain on your glycogen. Multiple sessions per day will as well.

ironraider52
12-15-2007, 03:41 PM
my post workout shake has 7 grams of leucine, 10 grams of glutamine, and a buncha other BCAA's. so wuld it really benefit me to get sum dextrose for post workout or is it sumthing i really dont need to spend my money on?

in10city
12-15-2007, 03:51 PM
my post workout shake has 7 grams of leucine, 10 grams of glutamine, and a buncha other BCAA's. so wuld it really benefit me to get sum dextrose for post workout or is it sumthing i really dont need to spend my money on?
The Leucine should be separate and in addition to the the protein powder itself. What are you using?

You don't really need the dextrose. I don't use it. You can use another carb source.

If you are going to go no carb, I would consider adding some glycine, which will help replenish glycogen, and not spike your blood sugar.

-Aaron-
12-15-2007, 04:00 PM
This is a common topic ...

Do post-exercise carbs actually help? (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3519361)

Depending on what the training regimen is like, a good dose of Leucine + whey hydrolysate will go along way ... With the exception of rapid glycogen repletion, the other needs (insulin stimulation, halt catabolism, protein synthesis, etc...) can be met without gorging on carbs after. Can one benefit from the intake of some - yes. Required - no, given an appropriate scenario and that other conditions are met.

There are both an insulin dependant and insulin independant pathway to protein synthesis. They are synergistic and there is an additive effect. A small increase in insulin + a high level of amino acids is more anabolic than either alone.

Regarding glycogen... if your training is typified by 1 hour sessions once per day, straight sets, low reps, long rest periods, then you're not going to be putting much drain on your glycogen. If your training is the complete opposite of this - longer 90+ min sessions, no straight sets - all supersets, giant sets, drop sets, extended TUT, and short rest periods, this will put a larger drain on your glycogen. Multiple sessions per day will as well.

What about concentrate? :cool:

in10city
12-15-2007, 04:07 PM
What about concentrate? :cool:
WPH will raise AA levels faster... but you've got to work with the tools at hand :D For me, WPC would probably result in rapid intestinal transit and exit :eek:

-Aaron-
12-15-2007, 04:11 PM
WPH will raise AA levels faster... but you've got to work with the tools at hand :D For me, WPC would probably result in rapid intestinal transit and exit :eek:

Bolded, italic, and underlined for truth. :eek: