PDA

View Full Version : oats GRAMS vs CUPS

smurfsky101
10-18-2005, 02:10 PM
ok, 1/2 cup of oats is supposed to equal 40 grams, right?

i made a level half cup scoop of rolled oats, and weighed it-- 60 grams.

is my scale off, or what--?

would that be 230 calories, or 154.....

Fuelish
10-18-2005, 02:17 PM
ok, 1/2 cup of oats is supposed to equal 40 grams, right?

i made a level half cup scoop of rolled oats, and weighed it-- 60 grams.

is my scale off, or what--?

would that be 230 calories, or 154..... Hmmmmmm....is that before, or AFTER you cooked 'em ;) My oats say 40 grams per 1/2 cup, but have never weighed them..... did you "pack" the 1/2 cup or just loosely fill it ???? - would make a notable difference, but don't know if it would make THAT big of a difference...Could be a combo of inaccurate scale and "packing" the cup measurer, perhaps ??? Just random thoughts, here...

gdawg0987
10-18-2005, 04:02 PM
Yeah, if you pack them into the cup you get a lot more than you think you are. I always measure foods on a scale by grams, it's the most accurate way.

JTrain306
10-18-2005, 04:03 PM
This is why measuring solid foods with a liquid measurement tool (cups) isn't the best way to go. Go by the weight. Hooray for kitchen scales!

The Doc
10-18-2005, 04:29 PM
There are so many variables involved in using volume (cups) as your measurement that it will never be truley accurate, but a gram is a gram is a gram. One blunt example of this is the way the drug trade is run. Does a drug dealer measure his stuff by eye, by the cup, or even by the teaspoon, hell no there's too many variables in volume and almost zero in weight.That's why dealers sell coke by the gram and not by the teaspoon. Do you think 2 cups of water weighs the same as 2 cups of mercury, no because cups are a volume measurement and not a weight(2 cups of water weighs 1 lb where as 2 cups of mercury weighs 13.546 lbs) see my point. Stick to using cups for measuring liquids and breast sizes ;).

The Doc

JTrain306
10-18-2005, 04:34 PM
One blunt example of this is the way the drug trade is run.

Nice use of the word blunt :D