PDA

View Full Version : Explain how muscle grows...

mike819
10-18-2005, 12:47 PM
Can muscles still grow without eating over 2,000 calories and 1 gram protein/per bodyweight lbs? I'm trying to conserve money because I typically spend over 50.00 a week to buy egg whites, waffles, turkey breast, whole wheat bread, chicken, protein bars, salad, milk, tuna, broccoli, brown rice, turkey burgers, apples, and strawberries. Will a body refuse to grow if not given the appropriate calories and protein each day? I'm trying to conserve spending at the supermarket each week and if you can't completely cut down, then is there at least a small amount of foods I can remove so its more in the 25-35 phase weekly? Thanks.

geriatricmuscle
10-18-2005, 01:18 PM
You do need to eat well beyond maintenance calories. It's a must. No food no grow! Money is a concern for most of us, so spend it wisely. You can make large batches of 100% whole wheat pasta and ground turkey for about $6.00 which will yield 5-6 servings. Combining green leafy veggies and WW pasta results with a complete protein source. Add beans or meat and you have good tasting healthy cheap meals. You can do the same thing with brown rice. Dump the protein bars and waffels. Drink more milk. Eat more whole eggs. Where's the peanut butter?

gm

Bombers
10-18-2005, 01:20 PM
Quality Protein Sources: (Meat cuts should be lean, trimmed & skinless.)

Lean Chicken or Turkey Breasts, Thighs or Mince.
Eye Fillet, Sirloin, Scotch or Rump Steak (or prime, lean steak mince).
Pork / Lamb / Venison, Lean Ham, etc.
Fresh Hoki, Snapper, Gurnard, Dory, Salmon, Swordfish, etc.
Mussels, Oysters, Scallops, Prawns, etc.
Canned Tuna or Salmon in Water/Brine
Eggs, Powdered Egg / Egg White.
Low Fat Cottage Cheese & Natural Yoghurt.
Low Fat Milk, Milk Powder & Other Low Fat Dairy Products.
Raw Nuts & Seeds.
Quality, (whey/casein/soy/albumin) Protein Shakes, Bars, Puddings, Drinks, Mass Gainers, MRP?s.
Free Form Amino Acids or Amino Acid Blends.

Quality Carbohydrate & Fibre Sources: (* = Simple)

Fresh Fruit*, Berries* & Honey*.
Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Pumpkin & Squash
Yams, Parsnips & Other Root Vegetables
Corn, Oats Wheat & Other Grains.
Wholegrain Flours, Breads & Pastas.
Brans, Weet Bix & Shredded Wheat Cereals.
Ancient Grains (Amaranth, Millet, Teth, etc).
Basmati, Brown & Wild Rice.
Raw Nuts, Seeds, Beans, Lentils & Other Pulses, etc.
Sports Drinks* / Mass Gainers / MRPs / Free Form Sugars*, etc.

Quality Fat Sources: (All oils ideally should be cold pressed, extra virgin and of good quality.)

Flaxseed, Hempseed, Evening Primrose, Almond, Canola, Olive and Most Other Plant Oils.
Salmon, Cod, Halibut, Shellfish & Other Fish Oils.
Raw Nuts & Seeds.
Fatty Fish, Lean Meats & Low Fat Dairy Products.
Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT Oils).

Fibrous Vegetable Sources: (Contain fibre, vitamins & minerals and phytochemicals. These are low in carbs and total calories.)

Broccoli / Cauliflower / Cabbage
Celery / Lettuce / Spinach / Watercress
Mushrooms / Onions / Carrots
Green Beans / Peas / Asparagus / Kale
Bean & Vegetable Sprouts / Beetroot / Leeks
Cucumber / Zucchini / Aubergine
Tomato / Capsicum / Silverbeet
Frozen Mixed Vegetables
Any Other Non-starchy Vegetable (or similar) of Any Colour.

Miscellaneous Items:

Natural Fruit and Vegetable Juices
Coffee, Green Tea & Other Teas
Artificial Sweeteners
Healthy Dressings & Sauces
Healthy Condiments & Spreads
Spices & Herbs
Vitamin & Mineral Supplements
Sports / Exercise Supplements
Bottled Water

bubbleboy_619
10-18-2005, 01:21 PM
Great list, Bombers.

GarethCheeseman
10-18-2005, 01:36 PM
No, 2000 calories is way to low probably even for maintenance unless you are very short and already very skinny.

You need to find the cheapest sources of protein, usually eggs, tins of tuna, peanut butter and milk and make these your staples. Stick to 6-8oz of meat for your evening meal

If you are cutting back on fruit and veg because of cost then at least make sure you take a multi vitamin

Protein shakes usually aren't bad value for the mount of protein in them, you can add your own carbs with oats and/or honey

geriatricmuscle
10-18-2005, 01:36 PM
Great list, Bombers.

Yes it's a great list but it doesn't address his problem. How does he buy ample food to grow on $50.00 a week? That was the question.

gm

2Small
10-18-2005, 01:41 PM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=471172

Hope this helps, it helped me.

Cheap and VERY good!

Thestef
10-18-2005, 01:55 PM
50$ isn't enough money..... I don't think any one wants to tell you that, but its the truth.