PDA

View Full Version : Oats

carbodehydrated
10-17-2005, 02:18 PM
My God. Cut down to 160lbs. Started Bulking.

Made 3 scrambled eggs. Okay, perfect.

And then, 2/3 cup dry oats, cooked in water.

How do you digest this stuff? It's like eating tasteless vomit, which is actually pretty good for a little while, but once you start digging deeper -- you feel like you can't eat anymore. 2/3 dry oats is a lot for a little guy when cooked. I put milk in it to make it easier, but it actually became more difficult. So then I tried chocolate whey, that was a little bit better.

Am I doing something wrong? Or does this all just prove that I'm not a man yet .. because I can't digest oats.. and that I need to quit bitching and practice at it? :D

nObLeSiN
10-17-2005, 02:29 PM
I just put a cup of oats in my shake with some milk and blend them... goes down quick and smooth.

Can't imagine trying to eat them cooked... eww.

JamesInLA
10-17-2005, 02:40 PM
I actually like cooked oatmeal a lot, but it's hard to down more than 1/2 cup (precooked measure). With three scrambled eggs, yeah, that would be a pile of food, and I certainly wouldn't mix them.

I have taken to blending them into my shakes also. I actually like the texture they add, and the flavor when the other stuff in the shake doesn't drown it out. I've started bringing a "dry" shake to work to mix up before my after-work workout. I blend the oats pretty much into flour in a coffee grinder, throw in a scoop of whey, then right before leaving for the gym, mix with milk or water and chug.

TheBourne
10-17-2005, 02:49 PM
yup I eat 1/4 cup of oats cooked at a time, can't eat any more than that, but microwave oats with twice the amount of water for about 3-4 mins ( make sure it doens't boil over) then add honey, cinnamon, splenda if you want, and even some sugar free syrup or fruit! Oats RULE!

UniversityofFL
10-17-2005, 02:53 PM
frozen strawberries or canned peaches + splenda+ oats + water+ microwave = eat

image101
10-17-2005, 02:54 PM
Eat them raw. I don't want a girlfriend anymore now that i've discovered oats.

RightCoastSrf24
10-17-2005, 03:09 PM

hahaha i feel much the same way. i cook mine but they are AMAZING. trust me i hated them at first and grew to like them more than anything i eat...you TOO will fall in love, in time my son;)

SoWise
10-17-2005, 05:10 PM
I top it with honey. damn good!

also pre workout, i mix 1 scoop of on wheys chocolate after i cooked it. Chocolate oatmeal!

cutman
10-17-2005, 05:18 PM
Hehe, that's what I used to do to.. but then cos it tasted so good, I'd have seconds or thirds, and then I'd be too bloated to workout lol!

Cinnamon is my new friend!

wild_stato
10-18-2005, 06:14 AM

gold :D

just eat em raw man, skim milk and choc whey and your laffing

Ruffian
10-18-2005, 06:47 AM
the first time I eat it in the morning im so lazy to do anything so I put 1 cup skim milk 3/4 cup oats, and then one scoop of my chocolate whey powder mmmmm so good!!! then throughout the rest of the day I just coook it I could eat like 20 cups of it at a time

wild_stato
10-18-2005, 07:00 AM
the first time I eat it in the morning im so lazy to do anything so I put 1 cup skim milk 3/4 cup oats, and then one scoop of my chocolate whey powder mmmmm so good!!! then throughout the rest of the day I just coook it I could eat like 20 cups of it at a time

thats what im talkin bout :D

NewRelease55
10-18-2005, 07:16 AM
Dymatize Elite Whey Toffee - mix, and then add your raw oates.

cgc
10-18-2005, 07:46 AM
Grind them up in a coffee grinder

I've eaten two cups so far this morning.
- Blended up a cup of the ground up Oats in a protine shake with a banana
- I've eaten another cup (ground) with some spenda and brown sugar (followed by three hardboilde eggs).

Not something I that I am just jumping up and down to eat by themselves. But in a shake they aren't bad.

thajeepster
10-18-2005, 09:06 AM

How do you digest this stuff? It's like eating tasteless vomit, which is actually pretty good for a little while, but once you start digging deeper -- you feel like you can't eat anymore. 2/3 dry oats is a lot for a little guy when cooked. I put milk in it to make it easier, but it actually became more difficult. So then I tried chocolate whey, that was a little bit better.

Am I doing something wrong? Or does this all just prove that I'm not a man yet .. because I can't digest oats.. and that I need to quit bitching and practice at it? :D

ARE YOU KIDDING????? i could easily put down 2-3 cups raw in a sitting if i could fit it into my macros. Are we talking rolled or steel cut here?

RockyIV
10-18-2005, 09:09 AM
Add some splenda and cinammon to your cooked oats. Good stuff

MSURifleman
10-18-2005, 10:41 AM
I was using steel cuts oats and I was wondering how the hell y'all were using them in shakes. now I know.....grind them in a coffee grinder first.

Iron_and_Pain
10-18-2005, 10:52 AM
im just starting to get into the diet experimentation. i see posts all over the place about oats. are you guys talking about oatmeal? if not, what exactly are "oats?" where do you get em? grocery store? online? and if anyone has a nutrition panel handy, could you please post the contents up here? thanks

RightCoastSrf24
10-18-2005, 11:05 AM
im just starting to get into the diet experimentation. i see posts all over the place about oats. are you guys talking about oatmeal? if not, what exactly are "oats?" where do you get em? grocery store? online? and if anyone has a nutrition panel handy, could you please post the contents up here? thanks

get em online or at the store...same thing as oatmeal...but get the non flavored stuff in the cylinder shaped cardboard containers. get either quick 1 minute oats or the regular oats that take about 5 minutes. they have about 300 calories per cup dry...

1Michael
10-18-2005, 12:17 PM
I add a serving of vanilla protein to my oats and half a pint of milk. Microwave for 2 mins... mmmmmm :D

Iron_and_Pain
10-18-2005, 07:20 PM
anybody have a nutrition panel handy for these oats? and I'm kind of a plain guy. can't you just eat em raw?

The Adam
10-18-2005, 07:31 PM

Oatmeal takes some getting used to. I eat like 2+ cups a day and yeah, I feel like a horse. Now...here's something you might not know about. Steel Cut Oats. Yeah, they're bland, but they have texture regular oats don't have. Now just because you're eating oats doesn't mean you can't spice it up a bit. My recommendations...nature's sugar---Raisins, Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries, whatever floats your boat, put those in there, and trust me, it makes a hell of a difference. Make sure to soak the steel cut oats over night, they cook faster in the morning (about 5-8 min.). Rinse them too. I find steel cut oats to be a lot heartier meal than regular ones.

----------------------------------------

I don't recommend microwaving anything. Throw away that thing or use it for storage space. It makes everything taste like ****.

mrxbryan
10-18-2005, 07:51 PM
frozen strawberries or canned peaches + splenda+ oats + water+ microwave = eat

what exactly happens to the oats when mixed with water then microwaved? does the outcome turn into some hot, thick soupy oats?

WillB485
10-18-2005, 08:15 PM
what exactly happens to the oats when mixed with water then microwaved? does the outcome turn into some hot, thick soupy oats?

yeh, the canned peaches and splenda would make it like extra healthy instant oatmeal

b18c1
10-18-2005, 09:01 PM
I actually like cooked oatmeal a lot, but it's hard to down more than 1/2 cup (precooked measure). With three scrambled eggs, yeah, that would be a pile of food, and I certainly wouldn't mix them.

I have taken to blending them into my shakes also. I actually like the texture they add, and the flavor when the other stuff in the shake doesn't drown it out. I've started bringing a "dry" shake to work to mix up before my after-work workout. I blend the oats pretty much into flour in a coffee grinder, throw in a scoop of whey, then right before leaving for the gym, mix with milk or water and chug.

Yeah I need to pick up a coffe grinder. I hope they do taste alot better with a protein shake. I have tried to make, and add different stuff to my quaker oatmeal, but I can eat like half, then I just can't take it anymore. I think they suck. I know oatmeal is one of the best bulking foods, and it's clean food too. I have to start making them in a protein shake. I will have to try that. Hopefully I will like it, or I'm going to have to just shove the shake down my throat. Get diesel baby! Haha.

JamesInLA
10-19-2005, 01:00 AM
The other thing I'm really liking in my shakes these days is nonfat yogurt, about a half cup. And if it's post-workout I throw in Gatorade powder.

Sugar + fruit punch + yogurt + oats = yumm!