PDA

View Full Version : Should penalty for killing a cop be harsher than killing a civilian?

nitr0x2
10-16-2005, 08:54 PM
Should the penalty for killing a cop be harsher than that for killing a civilian?

EDIT: Just posted this after reading some stuff about Mumia Abu-Jamal

~Serpent~
10-16-2005, 08:57 PM
Why should it be? A cop is no more valuable than any other human life.

notorius1
10-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Some would say it should be because it shows disrespect for the law.Others would say it shouldn't because cops are still humans.

theredshirt
10-16-2005, 08:59 PM
no. murder is murder. how much worse can it get anyways? you normally get life in prison or the death penalty. multiple life sentences are just redundant

AntonToo
10-16-2005, 09:10 PM
I'd say yes - but only if it is clear that you knew the person was a cop when you killed him (and not accidently either).

nitr0x2
10-16-2005, 09:13 PM
Hmmm, interesting I'm getting mixed results

Snoopis
10-16-2005, 09:22 PM
If a "cop killer" is given harsher punishment than another murderer, that's essentially saying us non-cops are second class citizens. So no, the penalty for killing a cop should not be any worse than that of killing anyone else.

PS- Cops are civilians too!

nitr0x2
10-16-2005, 09:34 PM

You know what I mean :)

AntonToo
10-16-2005, 09:50 PM
If a "cop killer" is given harsher punishment than another murderer, that's essentially saying us non-cops are second class citizens. So no, the penalty for killing a cop should not be any worse than that of killing anyone else.

How about we moddify it - Cop killed ON DUTY.

nothim_old
10-16-2005, 10:05 PM
Should your reason for killing someone matter. My point is , hate crimes. if you kill a person of a different race or a gay person because you hate their color or sexual preference, should you get in more trouble? Ist this saying that the other peoples lives were not as valuable?
I think all murder should have the same punishment. Now all killing isnt murder, if you kill someone in self defense...that is not a crime.

theredshirt
10-16-2005, 10:08 PM
Should your reason for killing someone matter. My point is , hate crimes. if you kill a person of a different race or a gay person because you hate their color or sexual preference, should you get in more trouble? Ist this saying that the other peoples lives were not as valuable?
I think all murder should have the same punishment. Now all killing isnt murder, if you kill someone in self defense...that is not a crime.
i dont think hate crimes should have more punishment. i do think the idea of hate crime was created to try and lower violence on gays and blacks and lynchings. i dont think hate crimes hold as much water nowadays.

although when i hear that someone killed a abortion doctor because of his beliefs, it feels like it is a worse crime, but in the grand scheme of things it is the same as any other murder and shouldnt be punished in any other way. the problem comes when the hate crime becomes viewed as justifyable. so if the extreme far right christians start believing that killing abortion doctors is a good thing, then maybe a harsher penalty might be of use

974g63awd
10-17-2005, 10:51 AM
killing a cop on or off duty should definitly cary a harsher penalty. If someone is stupid enough to acctually kill a cop, what do you think he/she will do to a regular civilian. Cops put their lives on the line to protect us so they deserve the respect. On the other hand, I also believe that cops who comitt crimes should be punished more than civilians becasue we put to much of our trust into them.

sticklegs
10-17-2005, 11:08 AM
what like life + 1day... 2 lethal injections, cook them until they are well done not just medium well in the electric chair.

Taffin
10-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Danger is built into a cop's job description. I hate cop killers and think they take the life of someone much greater than themselves, but the fact is that cops signed up for their job, just like soldiers. They knew what they were getting into and volunteered for it. The same cannot be said of a civilian who is killed (unless they are killed due to a dangerous/illegal lifestyle).

Plus, cop killers are already mercilessly hunted down by police enraged at the loss of one of their own, so I'd say they tend to be caught more often/sooner than other criminals. This is just an ignorant extrapolation, though.

People in Colorado (where I grew up) are still talking about the piece of **** that killed a beloved cop almost ten years ago. (http://www.suck.com/daily/97/11/24/daily.html) Reading about it again even upset me.

jkeithc82
10-17-2005, 11:29 AM
This could beg the question, should the penalty be greater for killing a Senator, Governor, President as opposed to killing say a car mechanic?

A human life is a human life, why should there be varying degrees of punishment based on the victim's occupation?

GarethCheeseman
10-17-2005, 11:39 AM
I just selected yes but I change my mind actually, all murder charges should be as severe, without good reason it should be a life sentence no matter who you kill

Rawhide7
10-17-2005, 01:24 PM
No, because a civilian is just a random innocent person. A cop knew what he was risking, and accepted that risk. The question should be: "Should the penalty for killing a civilian be harsher than killing a cop"? Just like in war, killing a soldier is different than killing a civilian.

Diesel66
10-17-2005, 01:33 PM
what like life + 1day... 2 lethal injections, cook them until they are well done not just medium well in the electric chair.
murderers are getting away with 25 year sentences.

This could beg the question, should the penalty be greater for killing a Senator, Governor, President as opposed to killing say a car mechanic?

A human life is a human life, why should there be varying degrees of punishment based on the victim's occupation?
Because police while they are working are the law.
No, because a civilian is just a random innocent person. A cop knew what he was risking, and accepted that risk. The question should be: "Should the penalty for killing a civilian be harsher than killing a cop"? Just like in war, killing a soldier is different than killing a civilian.
police didnt sign up to be in gunfights let alone be killed. Soldiers know they are going to shoot and be shot at.

LatsMakeTheMan
10-17-2005, 01:35 PM
I'm voting "yes."

While a lot of people like to badmouth them, cops deserve much respect for risking their lives to protect the general public.

Also, a stiffer penalty might deter other people from pulling a gun on a cop, thus preventing more bloodshed. (The cop or the criminal.)

LatsMakeTheMan
10-17-2005, 01:38 PM

It would be hard to prove hate crimes in that way.....unless the person was a known member of the Klan, or had a copy of Mein Kampf (sp) in his apartment.

cardioking
10-17-2005, 01:56 PM
Yes. It should be harsher than killing a civilian because 9 times out of 10 when you kill a cop you are more then likely also committing another crime in the process. When you kill a cop you are most likely "fleeing and eluding" or "resisting arrest" along with the crime you committed to get the cops attention. Yes. Cops are human just like you and I but at the same time they are public servants and a cop that dies trying to apprehend somebody should get justice. EVERY possible crime should be brought on the criminal.

locknid
10-17-2005, 02:30 PM
Yes I think that killing a cop should carry a higher penalty, I am kind of biased though because I am in the process of becoming one. Although a police officer knows the job is dangerous it should be a stiffer penalty because if it is seen that killing a cop is not a big deal then violence towards police would rise. They are out there protecting the public, the majority of cops are good people and do a good job. It is just you see the bad apples only on the news to give police a bad name. Law enforcement are in a way better then a regular human life because they are protecting other people's human lives. respect should be taught about police officers, not how to get away or fight back. Resisting arrest and fleeing has become the first option for people instead of just getting arrested.

GarethCheeseman
10-17-2005, 02:43 PM

Well no because being a member of a nations military isn't illegal, being a criminal which is who the police are effectively at war with, is. Military and political leaders can be charged with war crimes at the end of conflicts.

Taking a human life without just cause is just about as wrong as it gets. Be that person an adult, child, doctor, fellon or cop, it's wrong and there should be no distinction between crimes. I do get the principal of killing a cop seeming worse, thats a guy/gal charged with protecting people and still their lifes were taken, but there shouldn't be any more a severe punishment available, whatever society deems it's most severe punishment, should stand for the murder of any person.

I will agree that resources should be given to solve murders of police, because if those protecting us aren't protected then we're in trouble

Dave22reborn
10-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Fine then, if you don't believe that those who kill the police deserve a harsher punishment, than cops who break the law shouldn't get a harsh punishment.

NuggzTheNinja
10-17-2005, 03:58 PM
Fine then, if you don't believe that those who kill the police deserve a harsher punishment, than cops who break the law shouldn't get a harsh punishment.

If cops were given HARSHER punishments than civilians for breaking the law, then this would be fine.

However, cops are usually given more genteel punishments than those assigned to civilians committing similar crimes, so I don't see how this is applicable at all.

According to the current schema, killing a police officer should be LESS of an offense.

jannek
10-17-2005, 04:05 PM
how bout the cops that shoot people by 'accident". Shouldnt they be punished much more severly due to the fact that they are trained polic officers who we put our trust in to protect us. And why is it when a cop kills an innocent person they get away with just a suspension. Man the law is so curropt

JerseyArt
10-17-2005, 04:13 PM
Yes

Not because they're "special" as some fear.

But because they represent our law which it is never a great idea to allow others to take less seriously.

Also because it is accurately determined that someone willing to kill a cop is an extra special threat and far less likely than other killers to worry about harming civilians.

And how about just because they put their necks on the line to protect ungrateful civilians many of which are more concerned about a perceived drop in their own social standing than giving a little extra, and free, protection to those who stand between them and chaos.

theredshirt
10-17-2005, 05:51 PM
murderers are getting away with 25 year sentences.

Because police while they are working are the law.
police didnt sign up to be in gunfights let alone be killed. Soldiers know they are going to shoot and be shot at.
my pops is a cop, he def was warned about being shot at. other then that i agree with your points.

i voted no because my dad has instilled in me that he is no greater than the average human. but if someone killed him and it was a criminal fleeing i would be so f-in angry. i dont know. maybe i should of went yes...ok i voted no but my official vote is yes

theredshirt
10-17-2005, 05:53 PM
id modify the last part and say "shouldn't get a harsher penalty then anyone else"

smokeater
10-17-2005, 09:22 PM
Cop killers should get the chair. And cops who break the law should be given more severe penalties than joe blow.

Dave22reborn
10-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Cop killers should get the chair. And cops who break the law should be given more severe penalties than joe blow.

Ummm, actually cops that break the law get a worse punishment than civilians. Where do you guys get your news????

For ex. A group of 4 cops stole 3 grand each from a drug dealer, when caught they each received 30 years in prison.

Another ex. When a cop commits a crime, it's front page on the newspaper. Some of you have this idea, which is totally false, that they only get a slap on the wrist.

OPofPiece
04-04-2012, 01:27 PM
if ur saying they re the same u shld also say that someone who executed a little kid shld get the same punishment as a drunk driver who killed someone driving murder is murder right

anonymousceleb
04-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Everyone's missing the point. The idea isn't that cops are worth more than anyone else, it's that harsher punishment for killing them is supposed to help keep them alive.

tsbalr120
04-04-2012, 02:39 PM
For all those who said no, should someone who kills the president have a harsher punishment?

but I do say no, also

tsbalr120
04-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Everyone's missing the point. The idea isn't that cops are worth more than anyone else, it's that harsher punishment for killing them is supposed to help keep them alive.

good point, hmm

OhsoClutch
04-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Why should I be charged more in my court case for killing someone equiped with a gun as opposed to an innocent civilian?

*facepalm*

frasersteen
04-04-2012, 03:13 PM

No fair, I want to be alive too!

Seriously from a moral perspective I almost think the penalty for killing a cop should be less than that of anyone else. If you kill a cop under 99% of circumstances it will be in some form of self defence. Not saying it is right but murder implies malice where as killing a cop is generally perceived as a necessity by the perpetrator.

tsbalr120
04-04-2012, 03:33 PM

Seriously from a moral perspective I almost think the penalty for killing a cop should be less than that of anyone else. If you kill a cop under 99% of circumstances it will be in some form of self defence. Not saying it is right but murder implies malice where as killing a cop is generally perceived as a necessity by the perpetrator.

are you kidding me?

frasersteen
04-04-2012, 04:12 PM
are you kidding me?

From the POV of the criminal yes. Defence from imprisonment.

The point is the only reason to kill a police officer in most cases is to prevent arrest which is a form of self-defence. I never said it was justified but it is what it is.

Tekkendo
04-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Cop killing gets you murder in the first degree. The rationale being cops put their lives on the line when they are at work everyday and thus, it is necessary for the system to offer them more protection to the extent possible. That is why murder in the first degree is reserved for scum who kills cops.

Tekkendo
04-04-2012, 04:21 PM
From the POV of the criminal yes. Defence from imprisonment.

The point is the only reason to kill a police officer in most cases is to prevent arrest which is a form of self-defence. I never said it was justified but it is what it is.
I think you might be thinking of the term self-preservation instead....

TallDH
04-04-2012, 04:21 PM
No.

Of course, I say the same thing about hate crimes. Why does it matter that person was a cop, gay, black, ect...

Murder is murder.

frasersteen
04-04-2012, 05:17 PM
I think you might be thinking of the term self-preservation instead....

same difference, would never condone shorter sentences for killing cops though. just raising the point

OutdoorX
04-04-2012, 05:35 PM

And there you have it folks.

Think of all the times a cop is outnumbered (pulling over a car with 4 people in it, breaking up a fight in a bad neighborhood, etc...). People should be conditioned to know that if you harm a cop then you face enhanced penalties. This will make bad people less reluctant to hurt cops, possibly in a scenario where they are protecting you.

Only 1/3 of people realize this... really?

Tamorlane
04-04-2012, 05:37 PM
And there you have it folks.

Think of all the times a cop is outnumbered (pulling over a car with 4 people in it, breaking up a fight in a bad neighborhood, etc...). People should be conditioned to know that if you harm a cop then you face enhanced penalties. This will make bad people less reluctant to hurt cops, possibly in a scenario where they are protecting you.

Q9F3xNdkzDk

i'm curious if this could be abused? And is this in effect in the West or not?

Kiknskreem
04-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Some of you have this idea, which is totally false, that they only get a slap on the wrist.

That idea isn't totally false.

It isn't always true, but it certainly isn't always false.

OutdoorX
04-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Q9F3xNdkzDk

i'm curious if this could be abused? And is this in effect in the West or not?

No system is perfect. There are bad apples in every bunch including teachers and doctors, however it is easy to scrutinize the police because they generally work in the eye of the public.

The US has some of the most violent crime in the industrialized world where it is common sense afford the police these protections.

Calhexas
04-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Should the penalty for killing a cop be harsher than that for killing a civilian?

EDIT: Just posted this after reading some stuff about Mumia Abu-Jamal

As long as cops are given harsher penalties than civillians for breaking the same laws they swear to uphold.

L3GTbrah
04-05-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm leaning towards they should have the same penalty if a cop or regular Joe. But if you are going to be harsher on Cop Killers you have to be harsher when a Cop breaks the law IMO

guvanata2
04-05-2012, 10:00 AM

Cop killing =\= hate crimes

At least if you are assuming they are killed because they are a cop.

Boffothe
04-05-2012, 10:01 AM
There should be a cash reward

RelentlessChaos
04-05-2012, 10:47 AM
No Human Life is more valuable than the other. Period. Murder is Murder, you should get life in prison. You took someone else's life, why should you ever have just even a second of the type of life you took away from them? Every situation is different as well.

Or how about this. Say one attempts to kill the president. He will get more time than if he were to kill someone else.

Yes. It should be harsher than killing a civilian because 9 times out of 10 when you kill a cop you are more then likely also committing another crime in the process. When you kill a cop you are most likely "fleeing and eluding" or "resisting arrest" along with the crime you committed to get the cops attention. Yes. Cops are human just like you and I but at the same time they are public servants and a cop that dies trying to apprehend somebody should get justice. EVERY possible crime should be brought on the criminal.

So if someone was "fleeing and eluding," they will be charged on that matter as well. Same as "resisting arrest." It will all add up. 50years for this, 1 for that, 10 days for this, etc... They're separate. Not sure what your point is.

Lol this is based off pure emotion and irrational thinking. A cop is sworn to uphold and enforce the law, just as a military member has sworn to defend this country. Why should a cop receive a lesser punishment for breaking the law than just a normal civilian? It should probably be the same, but if it were to be different, it should be more, not less. Makes no sense at all.

my pops is a cop, he def was warned about being shot at. other then that i agree with your points.

i voted no because my dad has instilled in me that he is no greater than the average human. but if someone killed him and it was a criminal fleeing i would be so f-in angry. i dont know. maybe i should of went yes...ok i voted no but my official vote is yes

reps to your pops. Dont go yes if you dont know why. Not all cops are bad, but there are some out there. Some genuinely are out there to protect and serve. Theyre like the ron paul of the GOP candidates. He is genuine and cares about making a difference, the rest have there own agenda.

Ummm, actually cops that break the law get a worse punishment than civilians. Where do you guys get your news????

For ex. A group of 4 cops stole 3 grand each from a drug dealer, when caught they each received 30 years in prison.

Another ex. When a cop commits a crime, it's front page on the newspaper. Some of you have this idea, which is totally false, that they only get a slap on the wrist.

every situation is different. Sometimes they do and sometimes they dont. It depends on the crime. I think cops more so get away with retarded decision while on duty in certain situations like excessive use of force and what not.

For all those who said no, should someone who kills the president have a harsher punishment?

but I do say no, also

Lol how could someone receive a harsher punishment. Lol at 50 years in prison(say persons age is 50) most likely theyre gonna die. Or 25 years. Murder is murder, everyone should get life. They give year sentences because **** gets reduced. But if someone confesses and theres without a doubt evidence then why shouldnt they get life.

lol no. WHo gives a ****! Either way your gonna rot in a cell the rest of your life. If someone has the balls to kill a cop or think about it, they probably dont give a **** about the punishment.

retard

Cop killing gets you murder in the first degree. The rationale being cops put their lives on the line when they are at work everyday and thus, it is necessary for the system to offer them more protection to the extent possible. That is why murder in the first degree is reserved for scum who kills cops.

oh look, a decent post has arrived.

As long as cops are given harsher penalties than civillians for breaking the same laws they swear to uphold.

good point, id probably have to agree

If harsher punishment is given because you committed a crime on someone a position of authority or leadership, then they themselves should deserve a more harsh punishment on crimes. If your in the military and you kill someone and it was not authorized, good bye to your life. If a cop. Theres many things military members cant do when joining the military because they hold themselves to high standards, and you recieve harsh punishment. So why shouldnt cops receive harsh punishment. ALl public servants serving to protect and defend against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Beeewbs
04-05-2012, 10:52 AM
What, are we going to start a rating system for which people in society are more valuable? A cop killer is probably going to get some bonus punishment via guards at some point anyway.

Dave22reborn
04-05-2012, 11:54 AM
What, are we going to start a rating system for which people in society are more valuable? A cop killer is probably going to get some bonus punishment via guards at some point anyway.

Actually he'll have a higher credibility among inmates, guards aren't going to care that he killed a cop.

anonymousceleb
04-05-2012, 01:21 PM

Again, it's not about value, it's a deterrent.

frankenstein78
04-05-2012, 01:31 PM
I don't know if this was said already - the defense for giving harsher punishment by the common man is that cops are around to protect us, so killing the protectors should be dealt with more harshly. HOWEVER, cops are not sworn to protect citizens. Cops exist to uphold the law. You could fit the Grand Canyon within the difference there. High level cases have been held on this matter; that it's not a cop's duty protect anyone. If you are killed when a cop could have easily protected you, there is no recourse. Hell, there usually isn't even recourse if a cop totals your car while on duty.

It makes more sense to have special punishment for killing a member of the military than a cop. Even to that, I say no. Shall we have special punishment for killing a famous musician, actor, or well liked CEO like Warren Buffett or Bill Gates? No.

Dave22reborn
04-05-2012, 02:15 PM
I don't know if this was said already - the defense for giving harsher punishment by the common man is that cops are around to protect us, so killing the protectors should be dealt with more harshly. HOWEVER, cops are not sworn to protect citizens. Cops exist to uphold the law. You could fit the Grand Canyon within the difference there. High level cases have been held on this matter; that it's not a cop's duty protect anyone. If you are killed when a cop could have easily protected you, there is no recourse. Hell, there usually isn't even recourse if a cop totals your car while on duty.

It makes more sense to have special punishment for killing a member of the military than a cop. Even to that, I say no. Shall we have special punishment for killing a famous musician, actor, or well liked CEO like Warren Buffett or Bill Gates? No.

What do you mean? If a cop accidentally smashes into your parked vehicle? Trust me, the city will ensure that you get a new one.

A-GAME
04-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Why should it be? A cop is no more valuable than any other human life.

This. Life is life, murder is murder.