PDA

View Full Version : Differences in Yams and Sweet Potatoes?

AYung
10-15-2005, 10:41 AM
I've always wondered if they were the same thing. If not, what are the differences? Nutritive Value? Colour? Texture? etc.

bodybuilder45
10-15-2005, 01:13 PM
I've always wondered if they were the same thing. If not, what are the differences? Nutritive Value? Colour? Texture? etc.
in america, they are the same thing. they call the sweet potatoes grown in loiusiana yams for some reason or something like that. a worker at whole foods expalined this to me, but ive read it as well. real yams will look way different, you will know if you see one.

BigNastyD
10-15-2005, 01:50 PM
It seems that most people get confused as to what is a sweet potato and what is a yam! In fact, in the United States, most people use both terminologies to refer to a sweet potato, when neither of these two vegetables is related!

The sweet potato is found in tropical America and is a part of the Morning Glory family.

The yam is a tuber (a bulb) of a tropical vine found in Central & South America, as well as the West Indies, Africa and Asia.

Varieties There are mainly two varieties of sweet potato. The pale sweet potato has a very thin yellow skin with a bright yellow flesh. This variety is neither sweet nor moist, but more the texture of a white baking potato. The darker skinned sweet potato has a thicker orange skin with a sweet moist flesh.

The true yam is not marketed or grown widely in the United States. Where it is marketed, is usually in Latin American markets. A yam can be as small as a potato and can grow as large as 7 feet and weigh over 120 pounds! The flesh can range in color from off-white to yellow to pink to purple! The skin color can be from off-white to a dark brown.

Season Both the sweet potato and the yam are available fresh from October through March.

How to Select When trying to choose a sweet potato, choose a medium sized variety with smooth unbruised skin.

You will want to choose an unblemished yam with unwrinkled skin.

Storage Store your sweet potatoes in a dry, dark 55 degree F (12 13 degrees C) area for approximately a month. Otherwise, use your sweet potato within the week. Never place a sweet potato in the refrigerator.

Store your yam in a cool, dark, dry place up to 2 weeks. Never place your yam in the refrigerator.

Nutritional Qualities Sweet potatoes have high Vitamins A and C.

Yams have higher sugar content.

AYung
10-16-2005, 12:09 AM
So would you recommend I use Sweet Potatoes or Yams for my cutting phase?

Also, how come no storing in fridge? I like to pre cook meals for the week and could I cook the yams/potatoes and store in fridge?

tejas
10-16-2005, 08:41 AM
I think he means don't store uncooked sweet potatos or yams in the fridge. After you cook them it is fine to put them in the fridge. I don't remember where I read it but i think that sweet potatos have a much higher nutrient content (more vitamins) and yams are almost purely starch with not much nutritional value otherwise. I guess if you want pure starch go with yams, but ou probably won't be able to find them. I live in texas where there is a large latin american community and I have never seen real yams anywhere in the stores, even ones with large sections of latin foods. What they call yams are most of the time sweet potatos. Hope that helps a little.