PDA

View Full Version : Weighted Vest

Plain Jane
12-10-2007, 09:40 AM
I was in Sports Chalet this weekend a saw a weighted vest. It ties around the torso and has little pockets that you can put weights into. The weights were all in .75 pounds bags and you can add from only 3/4 pound to a whole 20 pounds to the vest. The weights seems to be distributed evenly. It just so happens that I was thinking of making one myself, to increase my fitness. My rationale is that for every pound of fat I lose, my body's basal caloric requirements decrease slightly. Even if I add lean muscle mass, over time a significant amount of weight loss will translate into burning less calories per house of exercise. My plan is to add 3/4 pound of weights to the weighted vest for every pound that I lose, hoping that my workouts will burn the same amount of calories, and also after a while increase the weights so that my workouts are progressively more intense. Would this actually work? Another thing: would wearing a weighted vest while performing everyday activities translate into more fat burning?

partyman1980
12-10-2007, 09:56 AM
I like the idea. Would you wear it at work?

Also I was wondering if it makes more sense to put weights lower down say in your shoes than a vest since your body is used to carrying a load, but lifting a heavier shoe would take more effort.

Plain Jane
12-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Actually, I had figured to wear it only for exercise, but my boyfriend pointed out that by wearing it all day I'd probably burn a tonne of calories simply from the extra weight. I would definitely wear it under a sweatshirt of large coat, since it's nearing winter time and wearing extra layers wouldn't look unusual. As for putting in further down, IIRC extra weights around your joints increase joint wear and chance of injury. Around the torso is safer and more effective because it strengthens your core muscles like your adds. I wouldn't mind a thigh wrap for my upper thighs, though. As long as weights are positioned high enough on the thigh they they're not exerting too much force on the knees, that would seem effective because the quads are a big muscle group and thereby would cause more calories to be burned.

mpipes
12-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Or you could increase the difficulty of the exercise itself by going faster or exercise longer or find more challenging exercises.

Not that a weighted vest is a bad thing but why spend the money if you really don't need to? It would be good if you were training for a specific sport and you wore the vest while practicing that sport so when game day came along it was easier than practice.

Plain Jane
12-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Actually, I sort of am training for two specific sports. The first is bicycling. I don't do it competitively, but I do do it consistently, and would like to eventually work my way up to completing a century. The second is DDR. I don't compete in tournaments or anything, and have been going at a higher intensity. I can't do it longer, however, due to time constraints. Plus I would wear the vest basically full time for a few weeks, and then rest a few weeks, and then start again.

stewaat
12-10-2007, 01:45 PM
I would imagine their would be a pretty cool effect from wearing the vest and then taking it off. You know how batters warm up with a weighted bat...that type of thing.

Weighted vests have been said to be good for walking and such so if it's a reasonable price why not try it out.

DJohnson
12-10-2007, 02:14 PM
I've always wanted an XVest or something like that just for fun. Like 80-100lbs added weight would just be fun to try go through your day.

But yeah, you'll burn extra calories etc.

Wearing ankle/wrist weights supposively increases your risk of injury, so a vest is best.