PDA

View Full Version : Pumkin Bread

TrainInsane
10-09-2005, 04:16 PM
Is Pumkin Bread bad for you?

thor86
10-09-2005, 05:01 PM
depends on the ingredients. I'm sure most pumpkin bread is made w/refined flour and sugar and therefore isn't really good for you. There might be some kinds made with whole grains that are healthy though. Pumpkin is supposed to be pretty rich in nutrients.

t_dats
10-09-2005, 05:25 PM
if its really delicious (if you tried it :D) and store bought then yes :(

if you made it yourself using good ingredients then no :)

LousianaRedneck
10-09-2005, 05:26 PM
OOOHHH I love pumpkin bread, but with the amount of sugar and flour in it, I get fat fast.
I am going to attempt this year to make it with splenda and whole wheat unbleached flour.

rotlex
10-09-2005, 05:32 PM
Depends on how it's made. Pumpkin is VERY rich in nutrients. My wife's home made version is delicious and nutritious. She uses canned pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie mix. Ah heck, I'll post the recipe here, hope you don't mind the intrusion, but the stuff is great, and not a bit of flour in it. (well, ok, almond flour but eh, we use that for just about everything baking) Warning, not a low fat product, LOL, but only 6 carbs if your worried about that. :) (Great for the holiday season coming up).

Pumpkin Pound Cake

Ingredients:
2 cups ground almonds (flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon*
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger *
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg *-- or *1tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 pinch salt
3 large eggs
1 cup splenda (granular)
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

How to Prepare:

Preheat oven to 300f. Spray a non-stick 8 x 4 loaf pan with cooking spray then dust with splenda. In a medium bowl, beat pumpkin, splenda, baking powder, vanilla, spice, and salt until well blended. Beat in the eggs then finally the almond flour. Add a little water, if needed. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 70 to 80 minutes. Very moist cake so do the toothpick test for doneness. Store in airtight container in Refrigerator.

General nutrition info:

Cals per serving:210
Fat Grams:16
Carbs:6
Protein:9

Serving Ideas : Serve topped with sweetened whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Idea: bake in a jelly-roll pan and fill with a mixture of 8oz cream cheese beaten with 4 packets splenda and 3T pumpkin. Roll into a jelly-roll, chill. Sprinkle with some granulated splenda and cinamon mixed and (if desired) sweetened whipped cream. No one will even think "diet"! I'm also thinking this would make great "giftable" mini loaves for people who like to give food gifts.

Use for leftover pumpkin:

Pumpkin Flax Cereal (Breakfast)
2 Tbsp Golden Flaxmeal
2 Tbsp Regular ground Flaxmeal
2 Tbsp ground Almonds
1 to 2 Tbsp pumpkin
tsp Baking Powder
1 Tbsp Splenda
1 egg
1 tsp Water
tsp pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger)

Mix all very well. Microwave for 1 min 50 seconds. Serve.

t_dats
10-09-2005, 05:37 PM
OOOHHH I love pumpkin bread, but with the amount of sugar and flour in it, I get fat fast.
I am going to attempt this year to make it with splenda and whole wheat unbleached flour.

yes Pumpkin= goodness

please post any info that you can on your attempt, if it doesnt work out too well heres some help

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/recipes/archive_recipes/RECIPE4.html

never tried it though, but will this year