PDA

View Full Version : How To Peel Hard Boiled Eggs

inkedouttrucca
12-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Ok. Ive Been Making Hard Boiled Eggs For Some Time Now The Night Before So I Can Eat Them On The Go In The Morning..... Am I A Retard Or Is There Some Special Way To Peel These Suckers. When I Peel Them The Shell Sometimes Sticks To The Egg And When I Peel The Shell Some Of The Egg White Comes Up And I Ruin The Egg. Do U Peal Them When There Hot Cold Warm In Water What? I Just Want Nice Solid Eggs Tired Of Them Falling Apart

jsmithofesco
12-06-2007, 05:49 PM
I find that i have better success if i peel then while they are still hot. if i wait till they are cool the seem to stick more. but ya i have that same probably sometimes and it is damn annoying.

Drayen
12-06-2007, 05:50 PM
all you have to do is hit them over the counter a few times so the entire thing is cracked.. then just dig into it and pull it off cohesively

Sleepstream
12-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Roll the egg between your hands while applying some pressure. Well, it works for me at least.

ArmstrongMike
12-06-2007, 05:53 PM
i crack them pull off one little piece, then slide a spoon underneath, and loosen it from the eggs, comes right off.

Mickdizzle
12-06-2007, 05:55 PM
As soon as they get done boiling run them under cold water untill the water in the pot is cold and let them set for a bit in the cold water. I boil 2 dozen at a time and then put them back in the fridge. I have not had this problem since I started running them under cold water.

nhlawguy
12-06-2007, 06:01 PM
The key to boiling eggs is all about perfect timing in the hot water, followed by an immediate ice bath. I've used this method many a time and it works very well :)

From goodegg.com:

1. Place eggs in a saucepan with enough COLD tap water to cover completely by 1 inch. Bring to a ROLLING boil over HIGH heat. Once the water is brought to a rolling boil, PROMPTLY reduce heat to a lower medium boil and cook an additional 10 minutes for a hard boiled egg. For a soft boiled egg reduce the time by a few minutes.

2. Remove from heat and IMMEDIATELY place eggs under ice cold water or in a bowl of ICED water to chill promptly to help yolks stay bright yellow. Chill for a few minutes in the cold water until the egg is completely cooled. This is an extremely important step which prevents the greenish ring from forming on the surface of the yolk over time. If the egg is not chilled immediately after cooking an unsightly dark greenish ring will eventually appear on the outside of the yolk.

3. To peel...crack on all sides, roll egg between hands to loosen shell,and remove shell.

inkedouttrucca
12-06-2007, 06:08 PM
Sounds Good Ill Have To Do The Instant Cold Water And Roll In Hands Method

l209fr5
12-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Once you boiled the eggs, run the pot or whatever where you boiled the eggs under cold water with the eggs still in the pot of course for some seconds then take a spoon and crack the top and just start peeling. The eggs will still be a bit hot but not hot enough to make it a discomfort in your hands while you peel

Purostaff
12-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Here's how I do it:

1. pour out hot water after eggs are boiled and hard
2. rinse with cold water 2-3 times and let it sit in cold water for about 10 min or when the eggs are not too hot to handle
3. gently crack the egg on counter-top once
4. using your fingers, gently apply pressure on both side of the egg to create more cracks
5. with your comfortable thumb (right for righty, etc) scrape the egg shell numerous times (at various places if need be) to loosen the "MEMBRANE" which holds the shell together.
6. focus on peeling the membrane, not the shell. If you can't get the membrane, keep scraping (move somewhere else).

KEYWORDS: PEEL, MEMBRANE, HARD, HANDLE, FINGERS, GENTLY :D

I felt like making a vid for you half way through typing this post, but I think my listed steps are suffice.

vazquez
12-06-2007, 11:48 PM
Here's how I do it:

1. pour out hot water after eggs are boiled and hard
2. rinse with cold water 2-3 times and let it sit in cold water for about 10 min or when the eggs are not too hot to handle
3. gently crack the egg on counter-top once
4. using your fingers, gently apply pressure on both side of the egg to create more cracks
5. with your comfortable thumb (right for righty, etc) scrape the egg shell numerous times (at various places if need be) to loosen the "MEMBRANE" which holds the shell together.
6. focus on peeling the membrane, not the shell. If you can't get the membrane, keep scraping (move somewhere else).

KEYWORDS: PEEL, MEMBRANE, HARD, HANDLE, FINGERS, GENTLY :D

I felt like making a vid for you half way through typing this post, but I think my listed steps are suffice.

reps for a youtube vid :)

miamifan3413
12-07-2007, 12:35 AM
I find that i have better success if i peel then while they are still hot. if i wait till they are cool the seem to stick more. but ya i have that same probably sometimes and it is damn annoying.

Exactly, the trick to peeling hard boiled eggs is makin sure they are still warm.....when they cool the membrane that surrounds the egg shrinks & adheres to the egg which makes it a pain in the ass to peel:) I'm a chef by the way:)

Calipe
12-07-2007, 01:11 AM
Here is how to do "Blow" eggs:

1uyR8QmSprM

Hazsun
12-07-2007, 03:48 AM
Here is how to do "Blow" eggs:

1uyR8QmSprM

wow thats freaking fast haha

victork30
12-07-2007, 04:26 AM
I got this sussed completly.

Make sure you use eggs that have been at room temp and not straight from the fridge.

After boiling, run the eggs in cold water, crack egg's shells and place them in the cold water. squeeze the eggs a little, I think the idea is to allow the water to get between the egg shell and the boiled egg. Leave in the cold water for 1-2 mins, take out and peel away.

Works evreytime for me!!!

PadreC
12-07-2007, 05:20 AM
if they are cold they are easier to peel. If you're pulling them off the stove and putting them in cold water they're going to be harder to peel than if you had them refrigerated from before.

FoxyT
12-07-2007, 08:20 AM
My grams taught me this trick, when you boil them make sure you have a lid on the pot. As soon as they are done boiling, run them under Cold water for a while.

skinnyboipgh
12-07-2007, 08:32 AM
A lot of good advice so far, but . . .

The biggest key to easy hard-boiled eggs is to make sure the eggs r not "too fresh" 2 begin with. Very fresh eggs have much more tendency to stick to the shell when boiled than less fresh eggs do.

Soooo, I let raw eggs sit in my fridge 7-10 days before I try to boil them. If u take that simple precaution & follow the other advice in this thread, u should never have a problem with sticking to the shell.

l209fr5
12-07-2007, 08:57 AM
My way seems quicker and you also don't have to give the egg a blow job.

Cristian22
12-07-2007, 09:38 AM
I do the cold water thing, never had any problems whatsoever

Oden
12-07-2007, 11:31 AM
crack the bottom of the egg....its where the air is trapped and it wont stick to the egg..then you can remove the rest of shell with much ease in large pieces instead of a zillion little shells :D
hope this helps

riseboi
12-07-2007, 01:11 PM
put in a little bit of vinegar in the water to be boiled.

reaper55
12-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Yep the cold water thing is the way to go!! the crack the whole shell all over before you start peeling.

MesoGal
12-07-2007, 07:35 PM
If you overcook the eggs it is hard to peel. just my observation.

Purostaff
12-07-2007, 09:27 PM

Not likey m8 :P

Anyways, another tip (from mama); she said putting a pinch of salt in the water makes the peeling easier. I tried it, but couldn't notice a difference because my method was so efficient. :)