PDA

View Full Version : Artichoke Heart

derickonfire
12-06-2007, 12:21 PM
How should I prep this?

I want to buy some tonight.

bobbybuilder1
12-06-2007, 01:17 PM
There you go mate. http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/000262how_to_cook_and_eat_an_artichoke.php

Thank's Bobby....

tinyman5000
12-06-2007, 01:18 PM
roast chicken feta and artichoke on a ww pita with garlic evoo and light tomato sauce lol

derickonfire
12-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Thanks!

Reps when I can.

Oddball8945
12-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Thanks!

good luck with that , i hate artichoke last time i ate it ,it left this weird metallic taste in my mouth.

derickonfire
12-06-2007, 02:08 PM
good luck with that , i hate artichoke last time i ate it ,it left this weird metallic taste in my mouth.

Maybe something from the water / pot you cooked it in?

I've never had it, so I don't know how it tastes.

I just eyeball it every time at the store, and I am slowly trying to try everything at least once, you know? Right now I want to tackle the artichoke, and then eggplant..

tinyman5000
12-06-2007, 02:10 PM

did you eat fresh artichoke or marinated ones

tabloid
12-06-2007, 02:11 PM
grilled chicken

topped with:

artichoke heart
Sliced roasted red peppers ( roasted your self. no oil )
diced red onion
chopped garlic
dash of lemon juice
pepper
EVOO
Saute all of the above ingredients together and top
the chicken with it. Serve with Brown Rice if you wish.

*** For a cheat meal add butter and dry white wine while cooking.

Oddball8945
12-06-2007, 02:13 PM
did you eat fresh artichoke or marinated ones

plain & cooked it was bad no matter what i did to it, even ketchup couldnt make it taste good....the ketchup just made it edible

mishka101
12-06-2007, 04:05 PM
I drink artichoke extract tea (with all the dried leaves). Its good as a tea, but to eat it?.....i think i'll pass even though it is loaded with good stuff (vitamins, minerals etc)

Dr. Horse
12-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Artichoke is one of my favorite foods.

There are 3 common ways to get 'chokes around these parts: whole & fresh, marinated, or packed in water (canned).

Marinated are great in salads, on pizza, sandwiches, etc, ready to eat right out of the jar- marinated in italian dressing, kinda oily. Canned are useful because they aren't seasoned and can be used in all sorts of recipes, dips, etc. My favorite is whole chokes. Just put an inch of water in pot, throw in the choke, put the lid on and boil/steam the sucker. Most people do 45min, I like mine extra tender and cook for a good hour. (be careful you may have to add some water midway or it will dry out and burn) Some people dip in butter/lemon/garlic; I am all about mayonnaise. Give me a gigantic overcooked choke and a heap of mayo and I am a happy camper.

Jerbee02
12-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Artichokes are fantastic - the hearts are the reward, but the meat on the leaves is great, especially if you have a good dip (I prefer 2tb miracle whip light mixed with 2 tbs light catalina salad dressing).

To prep the heart, all you need to do is boil the artichoke until a fork can be easily inserted into the stem (about 40 minutes, covered). Even the water-marinated hearts are extremely versatile - you can add them to omelettes, salads, anywhere that you need an extra kick of good flavor.