PDA

View Full Version : Do you count your macronutrients?

tinyman5000
12-05-2007, 07:38 AM
Do you and does it make a difference if you get enough protein and eat clean?

whoknows
12-05-2007, 07:49 AM
for me ive been lifting for bout 2 yrs...just kinda ate whatever.
bout 3 months ago, i started taking diet seriously. Noticed a HUGE difference in eating clean and counting what i ate. but, like everyone says "its all individual" so... :)

tinyman5000
12-05-2007, 07:50 AM
i mean if you ate clean do you think it would matter what the macros were provided you got enough protein

ChingChang
12-05-2007, 07:56 AM
I don't count. I eat clean.

tinyman5000
12-05-2007, 07:58 AM
I don't count. I eat clean.

So that works for you? Cause i dont mind counting calories but macros is a real ****ing pain in the ass i dont have time to do that **** anymore

ChingChang
12-05-2007, 08:02 AM
yeah it is working. I've gained 10 lbs of muscle in 4 months and stayed at the same amount of body fat. I just eat a lot and eat clean. Or if I'm going to "cheat", I make sure it has some nutritional value (like lots of protein and/or carbs)

tinyman5000
12-05-2007, 08:03 AM
ok thanks dude that gives me some confidence just to eat healthy, im getting really tired of sitting on fitday for like 20 minutes punching **** in that doesnt make a ****ing difference

RU4A69
12-05-2007, 09:50 AM

Yes-huge difference in growth if you make sure to get enough protein. Always eat clean-always.

Do you count your macronutrients?

Hell no

stewaat
12-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Not counting didn't work for me because my cheats were too severe. Set me too far back for how hard I was working. It helps with my self-control.

tinyman5000
12-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Yes-huge difference in growth if you make sure to get enough protein. Always eat clean-always.

Hell no

thats what i mean all i do is count protein and eat clean it makes my life easier

ChingChang
12-05-2007, 09:58 AM
ok thanks dude that gives me some confidence just to eat healthy, im getting really tired of sitting on fitday for like 20 minutes punching **** in that doesnt make a ****ing difference
yeah as long as you are eating enough you will gain weight. Just eat clean and healthy, and avoid unnatural sugars and processed foods. Keeping your body in an anabolic state helps, too.

tinyman5000
12-05-2007, 10:11 AM
yeah as long as you are eating enough you will gain weight. Just eat clean and healthy, and avoid unnatural sugars and processed foods. Keeping your body in an anabolic state helps, too.

lol does an occasional couple snack sized milky ways do anything bad

RoPaWrastla
12-05-2007, 10:18 AM
I always eat clean, but trying to figure out the cals in one of the chicken salads I make is way too much effort (I make a plate full of a variety of veggies and top it off with some chicken/tuna/turkey). Some meals I will count because I am able to (breakfast for example). In general, however, I just eat clean, get lots of protein, and work hard. If the number on the scale is good then I'm good.

-Aaron-
12-05-2007, 10:21 AM
So that works for you? Cause i dont mind counting calories but macros is a real ****ing pain in the ass i dont have time to do that **** anymore

Coming from a guy who whined about how I micromanage things too much... ;)

By the way, you already know my answer to the question... Before you tell me I'm on a liquid diet, allow me to say that I just finished a turkey sandwich.

tinyman5000
12-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Coming from a guy who whined about how I micromanage things too much... ;)

By the way, you already know my answer to the question... Before you tell me I'm on a liquid diet, allow me to say that I just finished a turkey sandwich.

mmm turkey. No the reason i ask is because ive been eating the same thing everyday and i measured wrong and all my macros were ****ed because of it. Yer right though

RU4A69
12-05-2007, 10:35 AM
mmm turkey. No the reason i ask is because ive been eating the same thing everyday and i measured wrong and all my macros were ****ed because of it. Yer right though

Tiny:

I bet you'd get up to a hella-lean 165 if you just lightened on all the damn cardio you do. Ever consider it?

-Aaron-
12-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Tiny:

I bet you'd get up to a hella-lean 165 if you just lightened on all the damn cardio you do. Ever consider it?

Here we go! RU4A69's thoughts on cardio, bulking, and cortisol on a hormonal level. :D

tinyman5000
12-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Tiny:

lol dude i do the cardio to relieve stress and believe me ive been eating the calories back and then some, if anything i need to lower my calories. I woke up this week with a 4pack :<. Dont really care though i dont plan on cutting below 10% until I compete in 3 years (fat chance of happening)

BlueFenix13S
12-05-2007, 10:53 AM
2500 calories of sugar and 2500 calories of low GI carbs and lean protein will yield the same weight gain/loss, but through different mechanisms (fat versus muscle). IMO, eat clean, don't count macros, monitor calories but don't get anal. For me, I just make sure I get 30-35g protein in with every meal, and the carbs and fats end up being whatever. I've been doing this 2 weeks, so I can't say much for physique yet, but I'm much happier and less stressed, and my performance is better because I can dedicate my mind to lifting rather than trying to figure out how many carbs and fat I need to have in my next 3 meals to hit a 40-40-20 for the day.

tinyman5000
12-05-2007, 10:56 AM
2500 calories of sugar and 2500 calories of low GI carbs and lean protein will yield the same weight gain/loss, but through different mechanisms (fat versus muscle). IMO, eat clean, don't count macros, monitor calories but don't get anal. For me, I just make sure I get 30-35g protein in with every meal, and the carbs and fats end up being whatever. I've been doing this 2 weeks, so I can't say much for physique yet, but I'm much happier and less stressed, and my performance is better because I can dedicate my mind to lifting rather than trying to figure out how many carbs and fat I need to have in my next 3 meals to hit a 40-40-20 for the day.

Yeah i agree with that philosphy full on unless you're cutting, i just thought i mightve done damage eating close to 1100 calories in white potatoes lol

BlueFenix13S
12-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Yeah i agree with that philosphy full on unless you're cutting, i just thought i mightve done damage eating close to 1100 calories in white potatoes lol

Ah yea, cutting is a little different, but I still think common sense works in that case too. Just eat smaller portions that you would if you were maintaining, or up the expenditure a bit. No need to go insane in that case either.

As far as the potatoes, I was all caught up in the no carbs at night or you'll get fat thing, but last night I went out for some frozen yogurt (HFCS OH NO!!! lol) with some friends, and guess what, I didn't magically gain 10 lbs over night. Yea, it isn't good to do that every day, but I 100% believe now that if you just follow the 90/10 or 85/15 rule, the macros, calories, etc will take care of themselves.

I mean think about it, on workout days, you'll be expending more, and you'll be a little hungrier, so you add a PWO shake or meal, and will be hungry for a bit larger meals during the day. On off days, you don't have the PWO shake, and the exercise won't be there to ramp up your appetite, so you'll naturally eat less. Just avoid unconscious snacking and eat nutrient dense foods and you're set.

tinyman5000
12-05-2007, 11:04 AM
my diet is 100% clean in my opinion but sometimes i have gum ice cream and a few of those new milky ways but honestly only about 100-300 calories in an ecto's high calorie diet wont make a difference. BTW do you have a link to any info about the MRE's I can expect to get

BlueFenix13S
12-05-2007, 11:08 AM
my diet is 100% clean in my opinion but sometimes i have gum ice cream and a few of those new milky ways but honestly only about 100-300 calories in an ecto's high calorie diet wont make a difference. BTW do you have a link to any info about the MRE's I can expect to get

Lol all you need to know about MRE's is the are nasty as HELL except for the desserts, and if you're lucky you get one with M&M's or Skittles :D. Stay as far away from the veggie omlette as possible btw.

What is gum ice cream?

tinyman5000
12-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Lol all you need to know about MRE's is the are nasty as HELL except for the desserts, and if you're lucky you get one with M&M's or Skittles :D. Stay as far away from the veggie omlette as possible btw.

What is gum ice cream?

meant to have a comma between gum and ice cream, great. How many calories do most of them have

cyde
12-05-2007, 11:18 AM

Unless you are taking up bodybuilding as a profession, I wouldn't stress over counting this and that. These things could lead to an eating disorder, depressions, etc. Try your best to eat clean and use your judgment on loosely counting your macros. The most important thing is that you remain happy. Working out is supposed to relieve stress and not add fuel to the fire.

Keep up the hard work, Tiny! We're all seeing results already.

tinyman5000
12-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Unless you are taking up bodybuilding as a profession, I wouldn't stress over counting this and that. These things could lead to an eating disorder, depressions, etc. Try your best to eat clean and use your judgment on loosely counting your macros. The most important thing is that you remain happy. Working out is supposed to relieve stress and not add fuel to the fire.

I wanna be a bodybuilder but im too far off i think to be counting it in that depth

Aindreas
12-05-2007, 11:23 AM
I try to get 150-180g protein, although I usually go a little over w/o trying, I make sure I get at least 80g fat, which I also do pretty much w/o trying, and as far as the rest of my cals, I let the chips fall where they may as long as I get em.

tinyman5000
12-05-2007, 11:24 AM
I try to get 150-180g protein, although I usually go a little over w/o trying, I make sure I get at least 80g fat, which I also do pretty much w/o trying, and as far as the rest of my cals, I let the chips fall where they may as long as I get em.

thats what i mother****ing hate all the god damned protein theres no way to eat healthy and not get way too much protein. try factoring in white potatoes, oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice in and you get like 50-80 grams of protein more then you really need

Aindreas
12-05-2007, 11:26 AM
thats what i mother****ing hate all the god damned protein theres no way to eat healthy and not get way too much protein. try factoring in white potatoes, oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice in and you get like 50-80 grams of protein more then you really need

I get a crapload from pb too.

tinyman5000
12-05-2007, 11:31 AM
I get a crapload from pb too.

worst part is when you think you took in like 180 grams but you really took in like 230 and the gas is unbearable

BlueFenix13S
12-05-2007, 11:38 AM
meant to have a comma between gum and ice cream, great. How many calories do most of them have

About 1000-1300 a pop. But remember they're meant for soldiers and airmen working 12-14 hr days, on their feet with a 50+lb ruck for most of it, eating 3 meals per day

MarkVI
12-05-2007, 11:41 AM
I;ve had them, I thought they were excellent as far as entre` and dessert go.

This wa years ago when my brother in law brought them back from basic Marine training

BlueFenix13S
12-05-2007, 11:44 AM
I;ve had them, I thought they were excellent as far as entre` and dessert go.

This wa years ago when my brother in law brought them back from basic Marine training

Lol what were you smokin? ;). I'll go by what you've got written on your avi, "No thanks, I'll have steak"

ChingChang
12-05-2007, 12:06 PM
better to have too much than not enough IMO. Excess protein can be used for energy. Insufficient protein can prevent muscle from growing.

PatMac
12-05-2007, 03:59 PM
I keep track of everything, calories and macros just to make sure I get enough. I dont have a set ratio, I just eat and make sure to get a lot of food in. Usually just because of the foods I prefer it works out to be 15/55/30 p/c/f

Backthen
12-05-2007, 04:35 PM
i just count cals, and ive lost 30lbs of fat