PDA

View Full Version : Catfish Nuggets vs Fillets

Rich30N90W
12-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Noticed that Sams carries these last night - half the price of fillets, but I never heard of them. Couldn't find any info in the search, so I went and found an explanation and I'm posting it for future searchers mainly.

It's less then half the price for "nuggets" - $1.75/lb vs $4/lb. The flip side? Twice the fat and you are eating belly flap meat with "peritoneal membrane" as a bonus. Eww. Don't think THAT is worth saving a few bucks a pound! Here's an article on it:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/jan06/catfish0106.htm

I don't see any upside to consuming it, but again if anyone else out there was asking what the heck nuggets are - here's it is

Mistermidas
12-04-2007, 10:27 AM
If you are talking about a nutrional standpoint, then no...they're not better than filets. But as far as taste, they taste exactly the same. I buy nuggets all the time. They are easier/faster to cook than the filets and as you said, they cost alot less. Honestly, if you closed your eyes and took a bite out of a filet, then tried a nugget right after you would not know the difference.

sni2pal
04-18-2009, 09:18 PM
Bump. I saw some of these at the store.

Does anyone have the nutrition facts for catfish nuggets?

I found two that are very different - one have twice as much protein as fat, while the other have just as much proten as fat.

sni2pal
04-19-2009, 08:35 AM
^^^