PDA

View Full Version : Dietary Fat Amount or Percentage

Future5oh
09-27-2005, 03:15 PM
Just a theoretical question i was tossing around in my head today
Dietary fat is much more readily converted into body fat than excess calories or carbs per se....
so my question is... most people when they have a structured eating plan.. have rations either 40/40/20 or 50/30/20 etc whatever, but depending on their metabolism and weight and activity levels etc, their calorie requirements vary
so what i am asking is, since the reccomended lowest amount is 20% dietary fat, does that mean someone on a 3000cal diet (for maintenance, based on BMR and Lifestyle metabolism) needs approx 66grams (20%) but if they are incredibly active and need to consume more calories to build or maintain etc and need 4000cal to support their activity levels would they need still a 20% of total cals... equalling 88 grams of fat, or is the 20% reccomendation based more on the bmr?

RipStone
09-27-2005, 04:27 PM
your calculations are correct. not really sure what else you are asking.

DJ Blaze
09-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Just a theoretical question i was tossing around in my head today
Dietary fat is much more readily converted into body fat than excess calories or carbs per se....
so my question is... most people when they have a structured eating plan.. have rations either 40/40/20 or 50/30/20 etc whatever, but depending on their metabolism and weight and activity levels etc, their calorie requirements vary
so what i am asking is, since the reccomended lowest amount is 20% dietary fat, does that mean someone on a 3000cal diet (for maintenance, based on BMR and Lifestyle metabolism) needs approx 66grams (20%) but if they are incredibly active and need to consume more calories to build or maintain etc and need 4000cal to support their activity levels would they need still a 20% of total cals... equalling 88 grams of fat, or is the 20% reccomendation based more on the bmr?

if your going for 20% fats, then that means 20% of your total caloric intake for the day.

Future5oh
09-28-2005, 11:20 AM
let me clarify
does that mean it should be 20% of my BMR, or 20% of my total caloric needs (BMR+activities), obviously the first would be lower.

RipStone
09-28-2005, 02:38 PM
let me clarify
does that mean it should be 20% of my BMR, or 20% of my total caloric needs (BMR+activities), obviously the first would be lower.

20% of how many calories you eat per day, which would be BMR+activities+/- goals(cutting or bulking).