PDA

View Full Version : Cokes while bodybuilding

Thunderlips
09-21-2005, 01:38 PM
So how bad really are cokes for bodybuilding. Most people talk about how they are bad for bodybuilding. How so are they?

Madevilz
09-21-2005, 01:47 PM
Diet Coke or Regular Coke?

Zelluz
09-21-2005, 01:50 PM
............ any soda is bad for you, doesnt matter if its diet or not.

Water is the way to go or some homemade drinks.

Thin Build
09-21-2005, 01:52 PM
i keep mine in a little baggy, before a workout i stop in the bathroom and scoop some up with the corner of my credit card and snort it on up. then i feel like a rabid gorilla.

wildman536
09-21-2005, 01:53 PM
i dont feel that Diet Soda is bad just the empty Cals in the reg stuff.

Just make sure that you drink WATER too!!!

FreightTrian
09-21-2005, 01:53 PM
i keep mine in a little baggy, before a workout i stop in the bathroom and scoop some up with the corner of my credit card and snort it on up. then i feel like a rabid gorilla.

LOL.... Good one

Zelluz
09-21-2005, 02:11 PM
i dont feel that Diet Soda is bad just the empty Cals in the reg stuff.

Then you are a fool.

That is why they make things like "diet," "fat free," "sugar free," so that fools like you would think that it's better for your health then the regular ones.

dsoul27
09-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Then you are a fool.

That is why they make things like "diet," "fat free," "sugar free," so that fools like you would think that it's better for your health then the regular ones.

Insted of calling him a name how about you explain to him why there both bad. (in your own opinon of course)

wildman536
09-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Then you are a fool.

besides the blatant disrespect on on a DISCUSSION Forum (not needed)

i have been Bodybuilding and have friends that Compete and drink DIET Sodas and look great but i do know that everybody is different and that your experience may be different than mine so BUYER BEWARE!!

buttaflap
09-21-2005, 04:49 PM
can people stop giving diet soda a bad rap?

1 or 2 a day won't do anything to you (keto might be an issue, don't know enought about it).

if your being anal about diet soda, you better not ever eat "tuna", "grill" your meat or "microwave" anything, drink "milk", ETC.

the point im trying to make is that there will always be a group debating:

diet pop (phosphorus is bad) avoid it
tuna (mercury is bad) avoid it
grilling (carcinogenic is bad) avoid it
microwave (denaturing nutrients is bad) avoid it
milk (sugar carbs) avoid it
ETC

don't be anal about 1 thing then be totally ok with other "contraversial" subjects.

buttaflap
09-21-2005, 04:58 PM
Then you are a fool.

i'm not here to argue, but i think your going too far. Essentially what your saying is that:

coca cola classic = diet coke
italian salad dressing = fat free italian salad dressing
hubba bubba chewing gum = sugar free chewing gum

I agree with the fact that the diet/ff/sugarfree versions are NOT good for you, but are OK in moderation. Saying they are equal is just being ignorant.

IRCRomeo
09-22-2005, 05:53 AM
Then you are a fool.

So it's stupid to drink the diet version of a soda, avoiding 140 calories and 35g of sugar in a can?

I usually drink one can of diet soda a day to break up the monotany of water.

khajki
09-22-2005, 06:42 AM
So it's stupid to drink the diet version of a soda, avoiding 140 calories and 35g of sugar in a can?

I usually drink one can of diet soda a day to break up the monotany of water.

what he could be saying is that all that sugar and calories are replaced by artificial sweetners and flavourings etc. Aspartamine doesnt sound too healthy.

noefex
09-22-2005, 06:48 AM
lol. about diet coke, i thought of something humorous the other day. what happens if diet coke is all a hoax and diet sodas are not really diet, but can actually make you fat? that would suck. I don't drink diet sodas anyways, but it's funny to think about. like if they got mixed up on the assembly line and threw regular coke into a thousand diet coke cans and bottles, that would be funny

Wtf?
09-22-2005, 06:55 AM
If you want Coke, then at least go with the diet coke instead of the regular coke because of the less calories and carbs.

I agree with Zelluz that soda is bad period.. But for people like this, they usually don't care and eat other "bad" things anyway. A diet coke isn't going to be as bad as any proccessed crap or whatever else they're eating. They care about taste, not nutrients/eating as healthy as possible. He only cares about it for bodybuilding purposes meaning will he get fat from it or will a coke cost him some muscle. Answer: Probably not.

Big_Spaz
09-22-2005, 06:55 AM
............ any soda is bad for you, doesnt matter if its diet or not.

Water is the way to go or some homemade drinks.

Please explain to me how diet soda is bad for you? Honestly, do you guys live in a cave with nothing but chicken breasts and egg whites? Live life a little, my god.

-Spaz

DJSTARER
09-22-2005, 07:51 AM
no studies how aspartame is bad. The only reason it is all like

CAUTION: CONTAINS PHENYL....bla bla bla is for people with PKU disorders. Not because the stuff is dangerous. Aspartame is a modified protein molecule.... not poison.

But personally, I stick with sucralose. Tastes better.

armz_ha
09-22-2005, 07:56 AM
So how bad really are cokes for bodybuilding. Most people talk about how they are bad for bodybuilding. How so are they?
if you like coke, drink "diet."

therock003
09-22-2005, 08:24 AM
That's something i've been meaning to ask,so ca you plz tell how many diet cokes a week could not cause any harm?How about 2-3 Per week?

Zelluz
09-22-2005, 08:35 AM
Please explain to me how diet soda is bad for you? Honestly, do you guys live in a cave with nothing but chicken breasts and egg whites? Live life a little, my god.

-Spaz

Iím not going to explain to you anything, if you want to find out about it then go and look for more information in the books and on the internet yourself - there is lots of it out there.

Read, research and make decisions on your own not by asking peopleís opinion and do it because it sounds good or because they are cool.

I can only get you started:

http://www.mercola.com/2005/jun/30/diet_sodas.htm

http://www.mercola.com/2003/oct/18/worst_foods.htm

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

camo1131
09-22-2005, 10:50 AM
You might want to read your first article again. There is nothing in that article that even suggets diet sodas cause weight gain/obesity. Its purely correlational and can be explained simply by the fact that many obese people drink diet coke (maybe they are trying to lose weight) or even as the article mentions maybe they are trying to compensate for an increased caloric intake. There is no cause and effect. Waste of time to read...im not even guuna waste my time reading the second.

DJSTARER
09-22-2005, 11:38 AM
the FDA has done a extensice testingon Aprartame. It can be toxic, but the level at which it becomes so....

I think the number is 200 X what is found in a diet soda /day

Zelluz
09-22-2005, 11:38 AM
You might want to read your first article again. There is nothing in that article that even suggets diet sodas cause weight gain/obesity. Its purely correlational and can be explained simply by the fact that many obese people drink diet coke (maybe they are trying to lose weight) or even as the article mentions maybe they are trying to compensate for an increased caloric intake. There is no cause and effect. Waste of time to read...im not even guuna waste my time reading the second.

You cant take short cuts and keep a healthy diet ... one thing leads to another.

Keep drinking your diet coke/soda, some people just dont get it.

camo1131
09-22-2005, 11:49 AM
You cant take short cuts and keep a healthy diet ... one thing leads to another.

Keep drinking your diet coke/soda, some people just dont get it.

Maybe one short cut leads to another , maybe not...nonetheless diet coke is not causing obesity. Ideally, everyone would drink water all day everyday but that isnt realistic. I think I see your point your trying to make though people could be doing alot worse than diet coke.

Diet coke isnt perfect but lets not get too carried away with aspartame.

"dont get it"??? I would hope that I get atleast some of it as I am a research assoc. at the largest academically funded nutritional research center in the world.

Zelluz
09-22-2005, 12:08 PM
Maybe one short cut leads to another , maybe not...nonetheless diet coke is not causing obesity. Ideally, everyone would drink water all day everyday but that isnt realistic. I think I see your point your trying to make though people could be doing alot worse than diet coke.

Diet coke isnt perfect but lets not get too carried away with aspartame.

"dont get it"??? I would hope that I get atleast some of it as I am a research assoc. at the largest academically funded nutritional research center in the world.

Gotch ya.

At least they are doing that fist step to a proper diet :) huh?

Big_Spaz
09-22-2005, 12:14 PM
You are comparing Diet Soda to regular Soda. Of course regular soda's are bad for you. I see nothing wrong with one or two diet soda's per day.

-Spaz

kosmo yagkoto
09-22-2005, 12:16 PM
tuna (mercury is bad) avoid it

Since when was Mercury bad for you?

TinyMan
09-22-2005, 12:28 PM

http://www.mercola.com/2005/jun/30/diet_sodas.htm

http://www.mercola.com/2003/oct/18/worst_foods.htm

http://www.quackwatch.org/search/webglimpse.cgi?ID=1&query=Mercola

I don't take Mercola to be a reliable source of any information. There is no suggestion in the first article that diet soda is 'bad' for you, only the choices that can be made along with consuming diet soda. The title of this page is misleading, at best. To be honest, I didn't even bother reading the second link posted - I don't see it being of any use.

Kosmo - excessive mercury buildup is toxic, this quote was taken from Yahoo! health, and is listed by many other sources.

Mercury poisoning can cause severe neurological and kidney damage. Acute exposure can affect the respiratory and gastrointestinal systems. Organic mercury can cross the blood-brain barrier and cause irreversible nervous system and brain damage, e.g., loss of motor control, numbness in limbs, blindness, and inability to speak. Some studies have connected maternal mercury exposure to fetal damage. Mercury poisoning can be confirmed by urine tests. Chelation therapy is used for poisoning with elemental mercury and mercury salts; there is no treatment for organic mercury poisoning.

Tinyman

khajki
09-22-2005, 01:25 PM
no studies how aspartame is bad. The only reason it is all like

CAUTION: CONTAINS PHENYL....bla bla bla is for people with PKU disorders. Not because the stuff is dangerous. Aspartame is a modified protein molecule.... not poison.

But personally, I stick with sucralose. Tastes better.

You should do a bit more research.

Mexic0
09-22-2005, 03:16 PM
wow, i am addicted to diet coke but I will avoid for my diet

Dutcher
09-22-2005, 03:30 PM
Then you are a fool.

Yeah they dont make it for diabetics thats for sure...

IRCRomeo
09-22-2005, 04:51 PM
wow, i am addicted to diet coke but I will avoid for my diet

It has no effect on your diet. People are concerned of the health risks because of the ingredients.