PDA

View Full Version : Bodybuilding Nutrition is Cheap!

CrazyG323
11-28-2007, 09:20 PM
If you think about it, being a bodybuilder is a lot cheaper than being a normal over weight fat ass. Most bodybuilders cook their own food and dont eat out much. When you are constantly eating out though it gets way more expensive than if you make your own food at home...... so eating like a bodybuilder will save you money!

Dukus
11-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Not really, a quality homecooked meal with lean meats and such will be more expensive then the local burger joints daily special.

Dukus
11-28-2007, 09:26 PM
Oh and forgot to mention the eating 6 times a day vs most peoples 2.

CrazyG323
11-28-2007, 09:30 PM
i live in los angeles and where i work just to get a burger and fries at tommys it cost like 6-7 dollars, thats one burger and 1 freis

Richie_Awesome
11-28-2007, 09:37 PM
If you know what you're doing, it can be cheaper. Factoring in supplements can raise the price, though, but, you don't necessarily need them.

Of course, you may save quite a few on health bills by being in great shape :)

MikeDimone
11-28-2007, 10:39 PM
a price should never be put on getting jacked... unless of course your absolutely poor...

ehlpitel
11-28-2007, 10:49 PM
Tasty home cooked meals that are good for you tend to be not so cheap.

matthor
11-28-2007, 11:27 PM
cheap? are u kidding.

compare the price of apples versus potato chips
lean meat vs fatty
healthy cereals vs kiddie stuff

everything is a tonne more expensive, not eating out as much no way makes up for it for me. i spend a lot on food

Spottydog
11-29-2007, 12:23 AM
cheap? are u kidding.

lean meat vs fatty

everything is a tonne more expensive, not eating out as much no way makes up for it for me. i spend a lot on food

x2...
What's less expensive in the long run is the fact that they probably won't have a whole host of medical problems to pay for due to being overfat... :)

fates_child03
11-29-2007, 01:02 AM
cheap? are u kidding.

lean meat vs fatty

Definitely is the same for me. The healthier options of food are so much more expensive. Its worth paying the extra money to me. Not eating out frequently does save me some money but if you compare people that eat nothing but foods like hot dogs, bologna etc versus what I spend a month on food I bet I spend 2-3x as much lol.

Thats the only thing I hate about bulking is how much money I spend on food.

Jules Verne
11-29-2007, 03:23 AM
cheap? are u kidding.

lean meat vs fatty

x4

Fruit - $1 or more per apple, more than $1 per orange, more than $1 for a pear etc..
Veg - I reckon I spend more than $5/day on fibrous veg alone. 1 cauliflower = $5, 1 green pepper > $1, Zuchinni - $2/lb, tomatoes - >$2/lb.

It's insane! Never mind CC, berries, even eggs are not cheap when you want 1 cup of egg whites.

I can go to the store and pick up a few bits of fruit and veg and spend $30 wihtout even going for anything fancy.

Meat/fish etc.. - I tend to buy stuff on special and freeze it, but still, if you want to eat well it costs. Just to make a sauce might be $3 or more - mushrooms are expensive too.

Now I know in the UK veg is a lot cheaper, as is fruit. I guess bananas are relatively cheap as are grains, but I don't tend to go for those.

OK, I have a family of 5, but my grocery bill is more than my mortgage (kids are all younger than 6, although they do eat a lot for their age). I don't eat much bread, but the kids do and at over $3 for a loaf, we buy a lot of that on sale and freeze it too. Still, it all adds up very quickly.

Compare that calorie wise to getting several family sized 'fast-food' pizzas - $10 + $5 for each extra one, or whatever.

now i guess if you go for only meat on sale, lots of grains for carbs and PB for fats and really don't eat much of a variety of foods, it can be cheap, especially if you buy stuff from Costco or Sams etc..

Anything fresh is just stupid though. Personally i can't believe that with the salary I'm on and relatively low mortgage, no car payments etc.. that i can go to a grocery store and look at oranges and apples and say - no I'm not buying any because they are too expensive at $2'lb or more. I mean for Fing fruit and veg! Last time I was in one of the stores asparagus was nearly $6/lb! WTF!

When the boys want take-out pizza or Chinese I don't even think about the cost. I can feed the family for $10-$15. I just forgot, it's been so long - can anyone say 'all you can eat buffet'? Cheap, cheap , cheap.

But to eat 'healthily' with variety and taste is definitely expensive. Anyone tried buying fresh herbs and spices recently?

F**K I could go on forever - major rant for me! I just cannot believe how much I spend on food, every time I think about it I just shake my head. I mean seriously, I'm more likely to go out any buy an 'new' (used) car than start eating oranges on a regular basis. F**K!

matthor
11-29-2007, 03:41 AM
very true Jules, we can get a large pizza for $5-6 from pizza hut. that same $5-6 will get you 1kg of apples.

With the obesity epidemic, fruit+veg should be subsidised or something. Anyone recall that article discussing this topic of how poorer families can only afford to eat crap and as such are undernourished despite being obese?

Eating well is juts fkn ridiculous nowadays

jaytek80
11-29-2007, 04:30 AM
What's less expensive in the long run is the fact that they probably won't have a whole host of medical problems to pay for due to being overfat... :)

Not a comfort for those of us with socialized health care :( It just makes me get my hate on for lazy people even more ;)

As for the actual costs, it really depends. I eat very healthy and I eat a hell of a lot cheaper than my roommates who eat out all the time, order in pizza or chinese at least twice a week, and rarely cook. But if I wasn't trying to eat like a body builder, I could eat a hell of a lot cheaper. Potatoes are way less expensive than chicken breasts.

It's a good thing I'm trying to cut. Once I start trying to bulk, this is gunna suck even more ;)

lollerskatez
11-29-2007, 06:22 AM
def not cheap for me...and i live in nyc...most of my shopping gets done at whole foods...$$$$$...i'm not near a costco or anything, so bulk is not an option.

mch243
11-29-2007, 06:35 AM
Funny thread...I wish quality home cooked meals were cheaper then I wouldn't have to buy cheap beer:p

landon3
11-29-2007, 06:38 AM
Costo.

Dm84
11-29-2007, 07:05 AM
def not cheap for me...and i live in nyc...most of my shopping gets done at whole foods...$$$$$...i'm not near a costco or anything, so bulk is not an option.x2.

It's expensive in Boston too. Thank god I have Stop and Shop near me so I can avoid Whole Foods, but even eggs are now close to $2/dozen.

theyoungveteran
11-29-2007, 08:00 AM
100$ a wk gets me 4 real food meals and 2 protein shakes a day...not bad at all...

eggs/oatmeal/whole wheat pasta is a damn cheap diet...

Ricky_k
11-29-2007, 08:22 AM
cheap? are u kidding.

lean meat vs fatty

i work at a woolies on the register so i see what people buy and i think the body building diet isnt so bad.

Dont buy junk food and you save heaps. Packet of biscuts..eg $3 for less you can get carton of eggs use the whites of whole watever that is one meal for a day down. Dont buy the chips $2.50 and thats tub of cottage cheese, another meal down. Dont buy the pizza save $6 get 3kg of Oats. Dont go buy a take out meal which can be around $5 - $8 and you can get 1kg of prem beef mince.

i dont buy the fruit and veg, i just buy my protien sources & carbs to cheap to even think about so i cant comment on fruit and veg but if you have to pay for a family then obviously its cheaper to eat whatever they eat. Even if we do eat more than the average person 3 meals a day, we still dont throw as much money on junk like they do, and yea since i work on a register i know the 'average' person buys a basket of crap that they will run out of in a day or so.

In terms of supplments, they jack up the cost but i figure everyone has a hobby in life they spend money on....and this is ours. I mean dont spend money on goin out, taxi's, alcahol...like alot of people i know do with their weekend.

sugapablo
11-29-2007, 08:46 AM
BB diet CAN be cheaper...if you know how to shop, cook, and be willing to cook from scratch (i.e., no processed or packaged foods).

For example, when I go shopping at my local organic co-op, I know I spend much less if the only things I buy that come pre-packaged are eggs, milk, and butter. Everything else I buy I can bring my own container for and buy bulk (i.e., olive oil, oats, flour, dried beans, nuts, seeds, etc.) or don't need a container (fruits, veggies). I don't buy meat and fish, but know if I did, I could go to a local butcher or fish monger and get specific cuts based on what his special was and save big on pre-packaged meat at the supermarket.

Also, eating fruits and veggies in-season will save you a ton of money over the course of a year.

So if you want cheap whole grain bread....bake it! Better taste, and you control the ingredients. Dried beans over canned. Buy only as much spice as you need (bulk). Etc.

Much healthier to eat this way too.

redrabbit
11-29-2007, 09:11 AM
Yea, since I've started eating good and often my shopping bill has gone UP!

10 cans of tuna a week, lots of chicken breasts, fish and some red meat. Milk and bread disappear after only 2 days, etc...

It's not cheaper. Unless you compare to a fat person who eats all the time, but not compared to a "normal every-day person".

yott
11-29-2007, 09:58 AM
its cheaper for me to buy health food. i probably spend $40 a week on health food. whereas i used to spend around $15 a day on junk food.