PDA

View Full Version : What type of mushroom, all taste the same?

PODNickerz
09-06-2005, 10:55 PM
Hello,

I have eaten these mushrooms before but don't know what they are called
When they are cooked they are brown, and they are usually small? (sometimes served in dishes in chinese restraunts)

Also, does all different types of mushrooms taste the same?

thephoenix
09-06-2005, 11:05 PM
Hello,

I have eaten these mushrooms before but don't know what they are called
When they are cooked they are brown, and they are usually small? (sometimes served in dishes in chinese restraunts)

Also, does all different types of mushrooms taste the same?

Button mushrooms are the most common, but most mushrooms turn brown when cooked. Most mushrooms taste different from one another, and you could of had anything at a chinese restaraunt. Go to your local Coles or Woolies and have a look around.

arwes
09-07-2005, 12:22 AM
In my experience, though mushrooms do have their own slight flavor, they typically take on the flavor of what they're cooked with (it actually acts like a sponge). But since you're mentioning Chinese food, it's possible you ate shiitake mushrooms..they definitely have their own flavor. Very pungent. If you cook with them, you might want to remove the stems as those are rather chewy.

paingame
09-07-2005, 05:49 AM
are you talking about champions mushrooms

PODNickerz
09-07-2005, 06:27 AM
Yeah i found out about button mushrooms but wasn't sure i guess i have to buy some and see for myself but does look like em.

Lan_Choo
09-07-2005, 06:39 AM
****ake?

You know the only reason I remembered that is because of Austin Powers 3, god bless that man

Maki_Man
09-07-2005, 06:44 AM
Might be straw mushrooms--popular with Asian cooking. Mushrooms have very different tastes.

Serum556
09-07-2005, 09:25 AM
You shouold try portabella mushrooms. They're big, like 3-4" in diameter. Cook them without the stem in some olive oil, and they have the consistency of a really tender meat, and taste... well, like portabella mushrooms, which are godly. Practically no cals either, like 25 per 100 grams.

PODNickerz
09-07-2005, 07:53 PM
No don't think its shiitake or staw

It looks like a button but only like 1 inch in diameter

HotDamnItsDavid
09-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Portabella are my favorite mushrooms. Portabella burger is sooooo good.

thephoenix
09-07-2005, 08:17 PM
In my experience, though mushrooms do have their own slight flavor, they typically take on the flavor of what they're cooked with (it actually acts like a sponge). But since you're mentioning Chinese food, it's possible you ate shiitake mushrooms..they definitely have their own flavor. Very pungent. If you cook with them, you might want to remove the stems as those are rather chewy.

i thought ****ake were Japanese.

PODNickerz
09-08-2005, 03:04 AM
Anyway i got another question.

Are there anything bad about mushrooms that you shouldn't add to your daily diet?

Because i don't see much people on these forums having shrooms in their diets

paingame
09-08-2005, 03:11 AM
No don't think its shiitake or staw

It looks like a button but only like 1 inch in diameter
they are called champignons. also the straw mushrooms are actually called enoki (sp?)

Maddyg
09-08-2005, 03:13 AM
they are called champignons. also the straw mushrooms are actually called enoki (sp?)

champignons.............lol.......that's the french word for mushroom.

So, I doubt they'd call a mushroom.....a ...mushroom?

The little brown ones that resemble the white button ones, I believe are called 'Café' mushrooms, though I may be wrong; look at the lable at the grocers and find out for sure.