PDA

View Full Version : Why bulk up?

therock003
09-03-2005, 02:21 PM
I just can't understand the reason of bulking up!Isn't it better to preserve a nice lean figure?Why when everybody cut down and gets lean has to bulk up?

slothasor
09-03-2005, 02:25 PM
having a low bf% with no muscle isn't lean, its skinny, which is not desired. some people care about more then a 6pack, including the ladies.

Madevilz
09-03-2005, 02:28 PM
I just can't understand the reason of bulking up!Isn't it better to preserve a nice lean figure?Why when everybody cut down and gets lean has to bulk up?

Because they want more muscles.

therock003
09-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Well isn't there a way to be muscular but not buffy?Not skinny either but lean and give emphasis to the biceps and triceps is what i'm going for.

The Real Deal
09-03-2005, 02:37 PM
lol sounds like u only care about making ur arms big. if ur arms are unproportional to your body, u will look like a fool.

u cant gain muscle without gaining mass.

therock003
09-03-2005, 02:43 PM
But then the 6 pack will disappear.I think the 6 pack is more impressive than being massive and muscular!

bigdipper
09-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Fair enough, though that's not really the bodybuilder mentality.

But if what you want is ripped abs, tight arms, and low bf%, your goal is considerably easier than it is for most of us.

Just do weight training/cardio and diet to you reach your bf goal, then focus on weight training and a maintenance routine.

People who want to pack on serious muscle/size need to bulk. You can't add size without calories. And unless you're a beginner, you can't reliably add size without eating LOTS, which will involve, more than likely, some extra pounds that aren't muscle. Unfortuanatly. Bulk, cut the fat. Bulk, cut the fat = net muscle/size gains. :)

skelooth
09-03-2005, 04:30 PM

because this is a bodybuilding website....

DJohnson
09-03-2005, 04:56 PM
I think you're mixing up "bulking up" with getting fat again. You can "bulk up" while maintaining your six pack. I was 135lbs it feels gross. At 215lbs right now I feel better than I have in my entire life. Although I'm not lean at 215lbs yet I'm not overweight either.

UCLABruin
09-03-2005, 04:58 PM
^^^ what he said

and some of us are not only interested in maintaining a lean mean physique, but being strong (for example I'm going into mixed martial arts/amateur fighting, so it's needed)

Khryz
09-03-2005, 05:29 PM
I think you need to check out the Jenny Craig forums.

travis h
09-03-2005, 05:32 PM
What a lot of people don't realize is that an adult with 8% body fat needs to have a LOT more muscle to maintain their size than the average person at a much higher body fat. Let's say you have 14" arms and you're 18% body fat. If you want 14" arms (certainly not big) at 8% body fat you're going to need to put on a lot of muscle. Bulking and getting fat do not need to go hand in hand, but anyone who says "I just want to be lean" either wants to be skinny or will likely need to add a good deal of mass to maintain their current size at a lower bf.

UCLABruin
09-03-2005, 05:33 PM
^^^ confused me big time

travis h
09-03-2005, 05:38 PM
^^^ confused me big time

Me? Sorry about that. I'm on call right now and I'm still in the hospital. I'm not all that awake.

My point was, a lot of people think that all they need to do to get that lean, muscular look is to shed their extra bodyfat. They tell themselves that they don't want to look "huge," just athletic, so they don't need to put on any muscle...just lose fat. But as we know, if the average "not huge" person drops their body fat significantly without gaining any muscle, they get a lot smaller and look really skinny, not athletic. So my advice to anyone who is trying to decrease their BF % is to gain and/or maintain as much muscle as possible. That's obvious to 99% of us, but it's not so obvious to quite a few people who's aversion to lifting is based on this fear that they will immediately become huge...on accident. I wish.

skelooth
09-03-2005, 05:40 PM
I think you need to check out the Jenny Craig forums.

LOL! :D

UCLABruin
09-03-2005, 06:53 PM
Me? Sorry about that. I'm on call right now and I'm still in the hospital. I'm not all that awake.

My point was, a lot of people think that all they need to do to get that lean, muscular look is to shed their extra bodyfat. They tell themselves that they don't want to look "huge," just athletic, so they don't need to put on any muscle...just lose fat. But as we know, if the average "not huge" person drops their body fat significantly without gaining any muscle, they get a lot smaller and look really skinny, not athletic. So my advice to anyone who is trying to decrease their BF % is to gain and/or maintain as much muscle as possible. That's obvious to 99% of us, but it's not so obvious to quite a few people who's aversion to lifting is based on this fear that they will immediately become huge...on accident. I wish.

Ahhh I definitely getchya now...cutting without weightlifting = skinny little **** mode. Yup yup!

Taffin
09-03-2005, 07:02 PM
Well isn't there a way to be muscular but not buffy?Not skinny either but lean and give emphasis to the biceps and triceps is what i'm going for.

I don't know what you're talking about, she's not all that muscular.

http://freespace.virgin.net/clive.walker1/images/smg-buffy.jpg

Phosphate bond
09-03-2005, 08:30 PM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=6897994&postcount=4

I think Bill Phillips had a good idea as gay as it sounded with his "Body for life" philosophy.

Cutting/bulking back and forth gets really old after a while, but it does have certain advantages as I stated in that link above.

PapaRingo61
09-03-2005, 08:39 PM
I am in major cutting phase right now, so I can get to the point where I bulk and cut. I don't think seeing a skinny dude with abs is that impressive. Now seeing a big guy with abs is a different story. You don't have to lose the definition, sure you might lose some, but you can just cut again and look even better than before. Why wouldn't you want to bulk? The end result is a bigger, leaner, better looking body.

therock003
09-04-2005, 03:23 AM
I don't know what you're talking about, she's not all that muscular.

http://freespace.virgin.net/clive.walker1/images/smg-buffy.jpg

Lol i wasn't actually refering to buffy the vampire slayer,i just used it as a noun to describe full-chubby kinda.

lucious
09-04-2005, 03:55 AM
Theres no need to get fat again while bulking. You can keep the abs, though they may become less visible.

Is it actually possible to add significant mass without any of the calorie excess of your diet spilling over into adipose tissue? Provided everythings perfect? Since i'm planning to bulk once I hit single digit BF but becoming fat again would just be too much for me to handle mentally.

skimmer
09-04-2005, 04:03 AM
Just eat as much as you can, and if you start putting on fat throw in morning cardio with whey/bcaa's.

The idea of bulking is not to get fat. I think way to many people use it as an excuse to get fat, which putting on fat will not help you. You'll just end up losing muscle while "cutting". Why not put on mass a little more slowly (if any slower, you might go the same speed), do a little maintenance cardio of needed, and then not have to cut? Be lean year-round.

Khryz
09-04-2005, 11:37 AM
Lol i wasn't actually refering to buffy the vampire slayer,i just used it as a noun to describe full-chubby kinda.

Nope. If you look around the forums yoou will see lots of people still very lean while on a bulk. You need to search around.

therock003
09-04-2005, 12:07 PM
@ Khryz

Ok let's take as an example John Stone,who posts his daily process.I took a look into his photos one by one and i came upon the conclusion that he looks best between 6/6/2003 and 8/6/2003.After that he started bulking up and by my opinion doesn't look as good.His abs started disapper and doesn't look as ripped.

I don't mean to be hostile,or rude or anything,but that's the way i see it.

Khryz
09-04-2005, 12:18 PM
You have to understand why he's doing that. He's putting on weight so that it's easier for his body to synthesis muscle. It's very hard to put on muscle while you are cutting. So unless you want to stay the same weight for years and years .. you have to eat to gain weight every once in awhile so that when you start dieting again you will have more muscle and less fat than before? Make sense? Every summer, for example, he will be bigger and more ripped. If you're content with being 145 pounds @ 5'11 and 6% BF, you will be "ripped" but you will be skinny as hell with no muscle and that is not what this forum is about.

However, that guy for example maybe ate too much calories on his bulk which is why he put on uncessesary weight. Someone that only bulks in a 250-500 calorie surplus can easily be putting on muscle while putting on no fat and staying ripped. You're going to have to get your diet down to a science to do that though.

therock003
09-04-2005, 12:53 PM
Ok fair enough.And how many years after cutting down does it take to get all muscular and ripped?

Khryz
09-04-2005, 04:49 PM
Lol. Depends on how much muscle you want and how quickly it takes for you to look the way you want. Everyone's different. It's not like I can say "Um, 3 years 56 days and 2 hours."

randomality
09-04-2005, 04:53 PM
fashion comes and goes...
muscle never goes out of style.
after i cut down, i felt small, so i wanted to gain a lot of lean muscle mass, but i still try and keep the bf% low while doing it.