PDA

View Full Version : CKD - Postworkout carb calc and carbup day rationale

GERMAN1
09-08-2002, 12:16 PM
Does someone who weighs 230lb or 110lb both use 50g carb post workout or is there a calculation? Also, is the carb-up day to keep the metabolism from slowing (or what is the reason for it) or can the diet be altered successfully by skipping carb-up day but sticking with post-workout carb only? Thanks anybody for your help!(I weigh 225lb with about 23% bf)

GERMAN1
09-10-2002, 07:02 AM
beuler, fitnessman, anyone?

Gamer
09-10-2002, 07:36 AM
I'm also 230lbs and I'm having a 40gr dextrose post-WO drink, that's 36 grams of pure dextrose, and it's working for me. I don't know how it would effect my keto if I took 50 grams of dextrose. The best way is to find out for yourself. But fitnessman (Keto-expert) says the post-WO drink needs te contain 30gr of dextrose and 30gr whey protein.

The carb-up day is ment to refill your glycogen stores so you will be able to train the next week. I don't think it's a smart idea to skip the carb-up day(s). Probably you will be burning muscle during the week and that's not what you want.

If you eat often your metabolism will be high so stick with 5-6 meals.

GERMAN1
09-11-2002, 04:16 PM
I appreciate your input Gamer

Richie
09-16-2002, 04:06 AM
i usually have a gatorade with creatine & 2 scoops of Optimums 100% whey. don't know how much this is as i'm not really a ratio person. i'm 6 foot one and 255lbs and my fat loss is slow but constant. my bodyweight is up 10 lbs in 5 months so i'm doing something right. during the summer when excess sweating will happen i'll keep some honey in my bag just in case the gatorade isn't enough. the post-workout & weekend carbs are absolutely necessary as this is what separates it from the Atkins diet.Richie

chrisg
09-16-2002, 04:15 AM
Richie, what are the effects of missing a carb up. I didn't load this weekend and I felt great in the gym today and I upped my chest lifts!

Richie
09-16-2002, 04:36 AM
when i first started keto (and i'm going to start doing this again from this week) i started my carb-up on Friday lunchtime after i trained legs & abs. sometimes i did some cardio as well till i was completely exhausted. i carbed up till Saturday night then went back to keto on Sunday (breakfast) with no training at all on the weekend. on Monday i was so strong i couldn't believe it. lately i've been starting carbs on Satuday lunch through to Sunday night and seemed to have plataued a bit on Monday's workout so i definately feel better having more fats. i'm beginning to see carbs only purpose as a cheap way of living as keto can get a bit costly. my cravings list is getting shorter all the time. i haven't gone through a whole weekend with out carbs yet but eat them more out of having to than wanting to. Richie