PDA

View Full Version : Losing Motivation.

Bigrick31
08-29-2005, 06:50 PM
Well the past few month have been hectic for me. I was rear ended and the driver took off. That totaled my Audi a4 which I only had for a month so I got a new truck and just put a $2500 on a down payment and now my insurance for the year is due so money is extremely tight right now. I wouldnít say depressed but just worrying a lot. This past week I am finding it harder to stick to my diet. I have to be up a 5:00 AM on weekdays to get to work. I have to commute and lately I Have been rather tired and I have started drinking coffee in the morning to help me stay awake and perform better at work. (I am an electrician for local 6 out of San Francisco) so that probably isnít helping my diet. Its just hard for me to stay motivated to go to they gym lately. Iíve been doing pretty good about it but just this past week its been hard. I think the main reason is that my weight isnít dropping. Iím fluctuating from 195-200lbs. I have dropped from 225 where I was 6 months ago which is great but for the past 4 years I havenít been able to get past my 195-200lb range. I feel my diet is a fairly good one I have switched it up here and there to keep my body guessing I even did keto for a while. I am making noticeable gains at the gym my muscles look more defined and are taking better form now. However what I have always wanted was a low body fat% and a 6 pack. Iím trying to get myself motivated right now to go to the gym and workout my chest (anything to make my gyno less noticeable). So I guess what the purpose of this thread is. Have you ever reached a plateau that you felt you couldnít get over in body building. How did you deal with it? I really feel that if I could kick the coffee and have more energy thought the day that I would be able to get more motivated to sticking strictly to my diet and getting over my plateau. I usually get to bed around 9:00pm or try to at least but I just started these new hours about 5 months ago. I used to work graveyard shifts where I could sleep in all day and wouldnít have to wake up early anytime. I feel that 5 months should have been plenty of time to adjust however im still having troubles waking up every morning. I just feel groggy and tired when I get up. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?

skelooth
08-29-2005, 06:56 PM
Losing Motivation

Go park your car at dunkin donuts or a buffet, and watch the size of the people going in and out.

Then go park your car at the gym and see what the people coming in and out look like.

Believe me, it's an eye opener.

Bigrick31
08-29-2005, 07:13 PM
I see people every day and i tell myself i will never let myself end up like that. guys i work with every day at lunch eating all that greasy fried food and then looking over at me asking what i am eating. when i reply a asparagus and chicken they just laugh. The say "I remeber when i was your age i used to eat like that to and go to they gym but youll get over that and wind up just like me." but in my head i tell my self over and over ill never end up you! i wont let my self go like that. even though at times like now its hard to find the motivation to keep going. i fell like the main problem is i am jst tired all the time i feel run down. I wish there were some way i could wake up every mornig jsut feeling refreshed and full of energy instead of tired it seems that it dosnt matter how much sleep i get but rather the time i wake up. if i were to get 7 hours of sleep but get up ar about 11:00am i would feel better than 9 hours of sleep and getting up at 5:00am.

DTRG
08-29-2005, 07:16 PM
Go park your car at dunkin donuts or a buffet, and watch the size of the people going in and out.

Then go park your car at the gym and see what the people coming in and out look like.

Believe me, it's an eye opener.

skelooth is exactly right. everytime i drive past mcdonalds i see these fat AVERAGE americans chomping on fries as they drive out. i just smile and think about how i dont want to be that average joe chugging soda and eating ****.

i often take a look at the transformation pages. john stone and louis dorman are two of my favorites. its incredible how much better people look when they are thinner.

my big motivation is looking forward to seeing my friends faces when they come back from college and see how much ive changed. i have a little less than a year to do that and thats plenty of time to drop weight and then build some muscle.

ya know, i NEVER thought id make it to this point where im really a health freak. its a complete lifestyle change you have to make and trust me, if i can do it, and thousands of other can do it, you can too.

anyway, i really hope this helps in some way. try to stay focused and if you get off track, dust yourself off and get back on.

skelooth
08-29-2005, 07:17 PM
The say "I remeber when i was your age i used to eat like that to and go to they gym but youll get over that and wind up just like me." but in my head i tell my self over and over ill never end up you! i wont let my self go like that.

You have your motivation brother. Channel it into energy and don't lose sight of your goals. The motivation and the kick in the ass has been there for you all along.

AlwaysOpen
08-29-2005, 09:10 PM
I know exactly what you are going through and sometimes you just can't fight it. What I do when I get in your mode (and all the advice people give is great but sometimes just doesn't seem to do it) is not take it too seriously but don't let everything get away from me. I know my motivation will come back at some point and I don't want to start from ground zero again. So I go to the gym when I feel like it and eat the best I can without worrying about it too much. I forget what my goals are and live my life and try and get to the gym when I can and try and make good food choices. If I get a burst of energy I take advantage of it and go crazy, if I don't feel like going to the gym, I don't and I don't sweat it. You have to remember most of the people here are fairly new to the game and are quite young. But to keep it going well into the thirties and forties takes alot of different approaches. Your motivation will come back in full force and then you go at it as hard as you can. Don't be so hard on yourself....just by working out and being concious of your eating you are ahead of 95% of people...Good Luck.

Bigrick31
08-29-2005, 09:14 PM
You know what you guys were exactly right! thanks for the words of wisdom. I wentto the gym and thought about what you guys said and the things the other people said to me about turning into them. I used tahose things as my motivation for they gym i put in a few extra reps and went a bit longer on the cardio. I think i have something good to use for my motivation now and i jsut have a few issues (like my lack of energy) to resolve untill i can put forth all my energy into bodybuilding. thanks a bunch guys! i appretiate it you guys were right on!

RSobkowz
08-29-2005, 09:32 PM
but for the past 4 years I havenít been able to get past my 195-200lb range.

Use that as motivation. I dieted hardcore from November through April and dropped an even 100 pounds. The last 5-10 were seriously brutal and tested my mentality. I used it as motivation. I basically got pissed about not dropping weight and worked out harder. I was doing cardio daily for 20-30 minutes towards the end of my diet, had been doing it about an hour at the beginning. When the weight started to refuse to come off I got angry. I made myself get up before work and made myself get 20 minutes of cardio in. Then I made myself do another 20-30 after work to make my metabolism get higher. The weight came off and I kind of said to myself "there, blow me body fat!". I know it might sound stupid, but it worked for me.

Looking at people that are the same size as I was helped too. I listened to people moan about not being able to lose weight or just not caring and used that as well. Just find something, whatever it is, however dumb it seems. Whatever gets you wanting to show the fat who the boss is will pay off. I kind of went to war with mine, man vs. fat. Worked for me.

-Ron

Bigrick31
08-29-2005, 09:45 PM
Use that as motivation. I dieted hardcore from November through April and dropped an even 100 pounds. The last 5-10 were seriously brutal and tested my mentality. I used it as motivation. I basically got pissed about not dropping weight and worked out harder. I was doing cardio daily for 20-30 minutes towards the end of my diet, had been doing it about an hour at the beginning. When the weight started to refuse to come off I got angry. I made myself get up before work and made myself get 20 minutes of cardio in. Then I made myself do another 20-30 after work to make my metabolism get higher. The weight came off and I kind of said to myself "there, blow me body fat!". I know it might sound stupid, but it worked for me.

Looking at people that are the same size as I was helped too. I listened to people moan about not being able to lose weight or just not caring and used that as well. Just find something, whatever it is, however dumb it seems. Whatever gets you wanting to show the fat who the boss is will pay off. I kind of went to war with mine, man vs. fat. Worked for me.

-Ron

Thats one thinkg i was kinda tellig myself today when i was running and wanted to stop. I would say to myself Thats the reason you arnt going any where you give up to easy youll always be the smae weight if you give up youll never get anywhere.
you know i think this is exactly what i needed jsut something to kinda open up my eyes and kick me back on track a little. I think you were right the motication was there but i just never thought to use it.

S Rok
08-29-2005, 10:04 PM
i just take out old pictures of how disgusting i used to be and think how i never want to be that way again.
I used to be depressed and miserable all the time but im feeling somewhat better about myself now.
Another thing that keeps me going is seeing some i havent seen in a few months and them being floored with how i look.

Phrook
08-29-2005, 11:45 PM
i just look around for a very large person... sometimes it helps if they are dressed thinking they are skinny... thatmotivates me plenty... i also look at my stretch marks to remind me of how i was/still am.
besides man, you seem pretty motivated...

lucious
08-30-2005, 01:01 AM
Seeing alot of the obese guys at uni and how unhappy they look, and how I used to look like that. Take it one day at a time man, if you keep thinking about how many days until your perfect body, you're just gonna get bummed out. I was in a ****ty mood last night, i just looked at myself in the mirror and said 'one year of work and youve still got a gut...'. Be proud of what you accomplish each day.

My ID picture is a constant reminder of what I used to be and how unhappy I was.

you've most definitely got it better than me anyway, no matter how good my body is i'm still ugly, so im f*cked no matter what. At least paper bags are only around $3 for 20.