PDA

View Full Version : Attn to all keto-ers! Avoid low-carb protein bars!

Quiet Storm
12-20-2001, 02:45 PM
well, last week i did not have as much success with my diet as usualy so i looked over my food log and tried to troubleshoot. the only thing new i could spot was my protein bars i bought to fight off cravings, but they only claimed to have 2g of carbs. so i dismissed it as a bad week or something.

today i finished a protein bar and had the wrapper in my pocket. i
was taking a crap and decided to read it just to keep me busy. i noticed that the third ingredient was Glycerin. i checked the carb count again and it only had 2 carbs. glycerin stores itself as glucose so it can throw you out of ketosis. after more inspection i found fine print saying "Glycerin, Polydextrose, xylitol and malitol while included in the calories count have been omitted from the total carbohydrate count as they have only a negligable impact on blood sugar levels." BS!

i went to the store to check other low carb bars, pretty much all contain glycerin and i talked to the guy at the store and he said that legally they dont even have to list it in the ingredients.
so im gonna try making my own now, ill let you guys know if i successfully make a good low carb bar.

check this out for more info
http://www.sunvalleylabs.com/Nutritionalinfo.asp

fitnessman
12-20-2001, 04:24 PM
It was so long ago I discovered that I sometimes forget to mention it. You are 100% right on glycerin.

Low carb bars blow. They are just cashing in on the fat old people who follow Atkins type diets.

Hey if you want(when my wife is around) I can give you some kick ass recipes for cheesecake and chocolate cookies. High in protien and will help with the sweet tooth. The Cheesecake is my favorite.

Quiet Storm
12-20-2001, 04:26 PM
please do! i tried making cheesecake once and it ended up being hardened cream cheese with some splenda in it, thanks!

Original Poster
12-21-2001, 06:14 AM
glycerin is bad, bad, bad.

There is a bars made without glycerin.

Innovation by Sun Valley Labs. - hard to find, email me want to know where to find them.