PDA

View Full Version : Body fat scale -- any good?

Pheidippides
11-16-2007, 08:49 PM
Does anybody have experience with body fat scales, and know whether they are accurate? I have a Taylor bodyfat scale, and I am skeptical of its ability accurately to measure my bodyfat percentage. Any opinions?

kranked
11-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Generally not the most accurate.

JS8531
11-16-2007, 09:29 PM
Not accurate but if you only use it to track your progress then its fine.

It may read 20% when infact you are only 15%. Decent one gives you consistent reading so that should be good enough really. Then get your true body fat % tested once you are nearing your goal perhaps?

earwig
11-16-2007, 10:03 PM
They're not very accurate. They can vary quite a bit based on how hydraded you are (or aren't)

Pheidippides
11-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the replies. That confirms my suspicion.

My sense is that the readings at least are somewhat consistent, so the scale will help tell me what the trend is. But I don't have a great deal of confidence in the actual number it gives me.

NowMotivated
11-16-2007, 10:35 PM
What if you checked first thing in the morning? Wouldnt your hydration level be relativly the same each day? Since the number isnt very accurate; if done in the morning would it at least be consistent in its reading? (like not be 20% and then the next day 15%?)

JS8531
11-16-2007, 10:53 PM
What if you checked first thing in the morning? Wouldnt your hydration level be relativly the same each day? Since the number isnt very accurate; if done in the morning would it at least be consistent in its reading? (like not be 20% and then the next day 15%?)

That is exactly what I do. I take the reading in the morning straight out of bed after emptieng myself, always no clothes on of course.

The reading seems consistent enough for me, it only flactuate +-1% considering my scale is a 6-7 years old tanita, I think its one of the very first generation.

Pheidippides
11-17-2007, 06:10 AM
I weigh myself on the scale every morning before having anything to eat, for the sake of consistency.

The bodyfat percentage number obviously has a built in error factor of a couple percent, because it will vary from day to day even though there is no way that my actual bodyfat percentage can change that much from day to day. It's useful, but I take its results with a grain of salt.