PDA

View Full Version : Might more sodium help weight lifting?

checkyourhead
08-17-2005, 03:24 PM
I've been eating mostly foods low in salt, not really intentionally, but not unintentinally either. I've noticed that I seem to do better in the weight room after I eat a lot of salty foods the day before. I normally eat about 2000mg of salt a day. Does anyone know if this is enough for a 17yr old that lifts and does a LITTLE cardio?

Cynical_Simian
08-17-2005, 03:33 PM
Unless you consume absurdly high amounts of water and potassium, it's unlikely that your sodium intake is inadequate. Could it be that you have more energy in the gym after days when you eat more salty food simply because you're eating more food in general?

checkyourhead
08-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Sorry for the double post

I'm on a diet where I carb-load twice a week, with the carb-loads being low in fat and sugar usually. The high-salt ones are more fat and sugar, but the same number of total carbs. It could be either the salt, fat, or the sugar, I haven't determined why yet.

rockstarsar
08-17-2005, 05:25 PM
Sorry for the double post

I'm on a diet where I carb-load twice a week, with the carb-loads being low in fat and sugar usually. The high-salt ones are more fat and sugar, but the same number of total carbs. It could be either the salt, fat, or the sugar, I haven't determined why yet.

If I understand correctly, you are saying you perform better in the gym the day after a carb load, and you are attributing that to the increased sodium intake?

It's because of the carbs, not the salt.

checkyourhead
08-17-2005, 05:59 PM
If I understand correctly, you are saying you perform better in the gym the day after a carb load, and you are attributing that to the increased sodium intake?

It's because of the carbs, not the salt.No, I'm saying I do better after a "dirty" carb-load.

Spartan41
10-20-2005, 06:53 PM
Yeah im the same way.. when i eat pizza, n spaghetti and other foods that are considered "junk" i definately feel alot stronger and more aggresive than when i eat lots of oats, and high fiber BS. I think it might have to do with hormone responses to all the extra nutrients coming in. like fat, and sugar and sodium... etc.

elcachorro
03-26-2011, 05:18 AM
hello man
i stared weight lifting 8 months ago but in the last 4months i noticed something anormal that has happened to my left shoulder i thing that it stared hurting me by time and now i have one shoulder large than the other one

i would love to help me by doing something to get it back to the origine place and make my shoulders egual not one larger and teh other one is smaller
hope to hear for u soon