PDA

View Full Version : New to fat burning. Need Serious Help

Irongame
12-19-2001, 05:42 PM
Ok, I normally stick to the supp. forums but its high time I made a stop here. I need all thou who art shredded to help me. I started as a fat kid in high school 5'10'' 194lbs. and lost a bunch of weight due to a ridiculous amount of extreme physical labour in sweltering heat. I dropped down to about 170lbs. I started lifting seriously about 17 months ago and have got back up to a decent 198 lbs, with a decent amount of good quality muscle. I do have a six pack but barely. More often then not it is a four pack, because of that stubborn fat that always hangs around my waist and lower back. I also feel I have a little two much fat on the chest that will not dissapear. I have gotten stronger and always wanted to get rid of that fat but cant hold on to a decent eating plan for more than a month when results dont start happening. I need serious advice. Since it is winter I am not too urgent about being ripped right away. But I need to now how to get myself started. The biggest problem is my fear of losing my size and strength. I have this idea in my head that if you're cut, you're weak. Is this just a myth? How long should it take me to get to where I want to be? (about 8-9%BF) Im probably anywhere from 15-21%BF right now. My biggest problem is eating too much. I eat to grow and its a bad habit when cutting. I also use creatine currently and I know that will have to go! But what do I have to do to get started. My cardio must consist of running, fat burning supplements are okay but only for 6-8 weeks because of the addiction and withdrawl I go through when comming off of them, and MRP's are out. Too much$ Well, there she is, now lets see if anyone can help. Thank you kindly
IG

CyberGod
12-19-2001, 06:39 PM
damn man, you remind me of myself..
Used to be fat (230 pounds `5"11) and went to 170 pounds in 6 months. Its been 1.5 years now that my weight didnt change, still 170

What I plan to do for the next year or so is to gain mass, to about the same weight as i was before starving myself, but this time with good quality muscles. Then I'll try to keep all my muscles and lose the fat.

What i recommand you to do, is to change gradually..I'm pretty damn sure that if you stop eating tomorrow, you'll lose some muscles...I know that if I start eating a lot to gain muscles, i gain fat VERY VERY easily....that's why i have to gradually change my calorie intake.

Also, i think the best way to lose the fat without losing the strength is to do the cardio first thing in the morning in a MODERATE pace (around 65 %).

I'm not the ultimate knowledge machine, but thats my advice

seanconnery
12-20-2001, 12:00 AM
Look to ketogenic diets. They help you lose fat but retain much more muscle than a conventional cutting cycle. What you do is not take in any carbs (or very little) and take lotsa fat and protein. Freaky at first, but you'll get used to it. Your body will start to rely on fat for its energy rather than carbs. Run a search through the forums here and you'll find plenty of info on them.

Irongame
12-20-2001, 03:00 PM
what is so freaky about it?? what do your fat sources consist of?

fitnessman
12-20-2001, 03:30 PM
All fats are fair game.

donkeylips
09-29-2009, 01:50 PM
so fatty diets with little carbs are the way to go?

fade2green514
09-29-2009, 01:57 PM
I need serious advice. Since it is winter I am not too urgent about being ripped right away. But I need to now how to get myself started.

get a notebook, or an organizer and start writing down every single calorie you eat.

if you don't know the amount of calories in something don't eat it (or personally, i google it and normally get a pretty good answer from somewhere online).

counting calories is very important. at your size i would suggest no more than 2200 calories a day... but who am i to say? i'll leave it up to you:
http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

also, you may want to zig zag your daily calorie intake. that'll keep your body guessing and prevent it from preserving calories that you want burned.

kangphil
11-19-2009, 07:32 PM
What you do is not take in any carbs (or very little) and take lotsa fat and protein. Freaky at first, but you'll get used to it. Your body will start to rely on fat for its energy rather than carbs.

This is a good idea, but I think it would be more suited for someone wanting to keep the fat off, after cutting.

The ONE thing that often comes up when you read stories of people trimming down considerably is drinking a lot of water - 12-13 cups a day is recommended. Sure it will increase your weight and you will look fuller because you're hydrated, but that is how you're supposed to look, your body is 80% water. Protein retains a considerable amount of water, thus your muscles can store a fair amount of water, so the more you store, the more you will have available in your body for catabolic and anabolic reactions. The release of fat from adipose tissue being catabolic.

As for the amount of calories you're eating, eat as much as you need, not as much as you want, drinking water will help keep hunger at bay somewhat but you are in control in the end.

Also, the best way to burn fat is when your body has used up "all" of the carbohydrates consumed from previous meals, that is, when you wake up. Through the night your body uses carbohydrates to keep the bodily functions going; as it's takes less effort for the body to convert carbohydrates to energy, than it does fat. With your body low on carbohydrates, it will start to gain energy from fats. THUS! The best time of the day to work out is as soon as you wake up, and as cardio exercise burns more calories from fat than muscular exercise, the best way to burn fat at this time is to go for a run or do some sort of cardio. Also, going for a run in cold weather will cause your body to use more energy to keep you warm as well, that is, until you are sweating, but it does make a difference.
That would be my best advice to you, going for a run before breakfast will help you burn fat most efficiently.

Keeping a journal of your food intake is a great idea btw, good one!