PDA

View Full Version : Football Position

camote2288
09-01-2002, 08:42 PM
Can someone please tell me what they think is (not including special teams):

1 - the MOST demanding position on the OFFENCE.
2 - the MOST demanding position on the DEFENCE.
3 - the LEAST demanding position on the OFFENCE.
4 - the LEAST demanding position on the DEFENCE.
5 - your favorite position on either offence, or defence.

DMP
09-01-2002, 08:46 PM
Hardest on Offense:Anywhere on the Line
Defense:Cornerback
Least Demanding on Defense:None
Offense:None
Favourite Position on Defense:Cornerback
Offense:Wide Receiver
thats my personal preference

P.T.B.W
09-01-2002, 09:41 PM
If you a trying to determine which position you would like to play consider first your body type and innate athletic talents.
If your're big and strong but not too fast with limited hands you might find yourself a natural for the line, on the other hand if you are smaller, quick and athletic you could be a great reciever or db.
The system and competition depend greatly on how demanding a position can be. Certain defensive schemes ask linebackers to make more than one read per play, cover 2-3 gaps and follow recievers down the field.
Ultimately, the most demanding position depends on the person and the offensive/defensive system
for what its worth I have played nearly every position in organized football at some time, save QB or RB. my body never felt more abused then my days at LB.
My last year in HS I was an all-league center at 180 pds and found it the least physically demanding position I played, at least as far as pure pain and getting beat up.

camote2288
09-02-2002, 08:56 AM
PTBW... you are partially right. Right now I am centre on the offensive line. The position seems pretty simple. I got my plays down and all, but I think you get bitched at quite a bit if the guy your blocking makes the tackle/sack (by the running backs and/or QB). That pisses me off quite a bit. The coach recently asked me if I wanted to change positions...I said yes, but I'm not sure what I want to be; just not O-line. I was thinking of middle LB. The problem is that being one of the largest on the team, I am also one of the slowest; not very slow, but slow compared to running backs, wide recievers, cornerbacks etc... So that eliminates all those positions. My only option would be defensive line and linebacker.

P.T.B.W
09-02-2002, 01:29 PM
If you are in HS and attend a smaller school you can be an effective middle linebacker if you can run the 40 in the low 5s-5.2, 5.1 ,etc. as long as you play smart and are mobility. Mobility and change of direction is more important for most linebackers in most systems, though HS coaches tend to only look at 40 yard times major colleges and to a lesser extent the NFL spend more time testing mobility for linebacker candidates.
I loved playing center, even though I was undersized I was fairly succesful at it. I agree that it is not a glory position- the center rarely gets any of the great downfield pancakes that guards and tackles make when they are pulling, becuase in most offences the center rarely pulls. But I took a lot of pride in snapping the ball and going to war with a guy across the line who had 30-100 pds of weight on me. Being 180 pounds and blowing a guy 270 pds off the line makes me smile.
Don't let other people bitching ruin your playing-I got blamed for a lot of stuff when I played HS ball because I simply wasn't in with the popular click on the football team-I was an outsider who only played my junior and senior year. Focus on your playing, and believe that you can be the best, because under those friday night lights anyone can be the best.

footballmanster
09-05-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by camote2288
Can someone please tell me what they think is (not including special teams):

1 - the MOST demanding position on the OFFENCE.
2 - the MOST demanding position on the DEFENCE.
3 - the LEAST demanding position on the OFFENCE.
4 - the LEAST demanding position on the DEFENCE.
5 - your favorite position on either offence, or defence.

1-o-line
2-either d-line or linebacker
no least demanding positions except for kickers and sometimes qbs
5- defense weakside linebacker

OklahomaSooners
09-18-2002, 08:13 PM
i play offensive line and when it all comes down to it...its technique a lot of plays we run will make sense if we fire out and take the right steps

Person
10-05-2002, 10:44 PM
I think it depends on what you consider is hard. Last year I played middle linebacker and this year I play corner. Linebacker was a lot more punishing and you were involved much more, but it was much much easier skill wise. Corner, especially in highschool, is very tough. Since most teams base their offense on sweeps, you always have to be ready. My team (North Allegheny, Pittsburgh) plays a zone defense so when you get a sweep coming at you, you must also make sure nobody is in your zone for a possible pitch pass. If your outside linebacker isn't good it can be hell, too. When that happens you can have 2, even 3 lead blockers coming at you who are much bigger than you not to mention a fast, agile running back.

On offense, I used to play center and guard, but I thinned down and got faster and now play wide receiver. Wide receiver is much easier physically and skill wise it is usually easier. The only part about being a wr which is harder than the line is keeping focused and calm. When there is a pass coming to you, you MUST focus only on catching and not what happens next or else you'll miss it. You also have to be ready to take big hits every once in a while if they send you over the middle. That is probably the scariest thing in football. Imagine running full speed and having to catch a ball, not knowing what's going to happen after the catch, and then see linebackers and safeties coming at you or hitting you during the catch. Very bad.

jedi4049
10-11-2002, 08:14 PM
cornerback kicks ass. i like the 5 yard hit rule :-). since im not all that fast a couple good jams then get out and make a nice play is so cool :-). i love being physical at CB since im small they think i cant hit but i ROCK THEIR WORLD

DaBeast
10-16-2002, 03:20 PM
1 - O - Line
2 - D-Line & Linebackers
3 - Wide Reciever
4 - Free Safety
5 - Linebacker/ Tight End