PDA

View Full Version : Bodybuilding and Kickboxing?

Xtreme4Life
09-01-2002, 02:33 AM
I started lifting weights in the beginning of 2001, didn't really get serious about it until last Fall. I've been making good gains but don't do much cardio.

I just signed up at a kickboxing gym (to eventually get into muay thai), am going to be taking classes three days a week, at least, and will be there for about two hours each time I go. I'm wondering if this is going to hurt my progress in the gym at all? Anybody else have experience with this?

Thanks.

leon1
09-01-2002, 07:13 PM
I used to do something like this last year.For about 5 months i was training in boxing and kick boxing 2 to 4 times every week.I wasnt very careful though and i lost a lot of pounds(fat and muscle).I think this was because i didnt count my caloric intake corectly.I will start again next month but this time i m going to be very careful with my diet.If u see that u dont gain any more just raise your caloric intake.And be careful u must not overtrain.U must know your limits.

Xtreme4Life
09-02-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by leon1
I used to do something like this last year.For about 5 months i was training in boxing and kick boxing 2 to 4 times every week.I wasnt very careful though and i lost a lot of pounds(fat and muscle).I think this was because i didnt count my caloric intake corectly.I will start again next month but this time i m going to be very careful with my diet.If u see that u dont gain any more just raise your caloric intake.And be careful u must not overtrain.U must know your limits.

Yeah, I going to be sure and supplement my kickboxing sessions just like I do my weight training sessions. I'm also going to make sure that weights and kickboxing are at least 8 hours apart if they're even on the same day.

thanks for you input. appreciate it.

Sean P
09-02-2002, 08:16 PM
leon1 is correct in upping your calorie intake. Depending on how hard you work the bag, you can easily effect your muscle gains.
Your delts and back get a tremendous amount of working out by putting them under force generated " for example" by punching. In order for your workout not to suffer be sure to give them time to heal before lifting. I also recommend taking a protein shake after your bag sessions. The same will go for legs. I have studied the arts for 21yrs so I'm speaking from experience. hope this helps.

MuayThaiKid
09-04-2002, 05:24 PM
i take muay thai and i lift. I can give you some good tips. Work your lifting sessions around the kickboxing sessions. Get alot of protien. I would eat alot of it before you go to kickboxing so your body feeds of the protien and the fat and you can still gain muscle cause of the protien. Sometimes i would take a 5day off to recouperate and eat get my body ready again instead of over training. I would usually do this every month depending how hard you hit it.

DrElkazaz
12-28-2010, 10:02 AM
leon1 is correct in upping your calorie intake. Depending on how hard you work the bag, you can easily effect your muscle gains.
Your delts and back get a tremendous amount of working out by putting them under force generated " for example" by punching. In order for your workout not to suffer be sure to give them time to heal before lifting. I also recommend taking a protein shake after your bag sessions. The same will go for legs. I have studied the arts for 21yrs so I'm speaking from experience. hope this helps.

Dear,
I am just started bb 2 weeks ago i already lost 25 kg via dieting but im now 90 kg my height is 179 cm, i want to lose weight but i notice that im gaining weight. my coach told me it is normal but after reaching 100 kg i will be able to lose weight normaly. since i hav a lot of fat in my body than muscles and this weight is muscle gain.
i want to take kickbox lessons about 2 days per week.
so i need help should i continue bb or stop it til losing weight and begin again.

sekaonayr
12-28-2010, 11:59 AM
your gunna have to up your caloric intake by like around 500 more calories each day. boxing burns a shiet ton of calories, i took this one class a few months back that burned 1k in an hour. it was HELL