PDA

View Full Version : Body transformation (beginning pics), suggestions welcome

apopheus
11-09-2007, 10:53 AM
yes i know there are thousands of these threads, but i just wanted opinions.

i have been "playing" in the weight room for functional strength on a bicycle (i used to be a cyclist, believe it or not) and then I fell in love with the weights. i think i've been doing what i could only describe as a bulking cycle since last november, but it has come with a fairly large increase in body fat. according to my scale (which i know is horribly inaccurate and i will be getting some calipers soon) my bf is around 30-33%. i want to cut it down. so here is what i'm doing

wake up: 5:30am
eat: 1/2c oatmeal, 4 egg whites 1 yolk, 1 cup fresh fruit juice (from juicer)

morning snack 8:50am
eat: protein shake (lean dessert from bsn 2 scoops) maybe some almonds if i have them

lunch: 11:20am
eat: turkey sandwhich with cheese on whole wheat bread. apple sliced or baby carrots

no xplode: 12:45pm
2 scoops

workout: 1:00pm
monday: legs: quads, hams, calves; core; 20-30 min cardio (treadmill)
tuesday: shoulders; 45 min HIIT on stationary spinning bike
wednesday: back; 20-30 min cardio (elliptical or rowing machine)
thursday: arms; 45 min HIIT on spinner
friday: chest; 20-30 min cardio (elliptical)
saturday: 2 hour bike ride (road bike outside or indoor bike if cold/rainy/etc)
sunday: rest

after workout: bsn cellmass (1 scoop)

15 min after that: grilled chicken salad with pasta (spinach, walnuts, cran-raisins, feta cheese, raspberry vinaigrette)

4:15pm: snack
protein shake (bsn lean dessert) 2 scoops

6:30pm: dinner
pork chops or chicken breast; sweet potatoes; vegetable (green beans, carrots, corn)

8:45pm: protein shake
2 scoop gnc pro performance pm protein

during the day i drink at least 1 gallon of water. i'm also taking nitrix from bsn.

does this seem like a reasonable cut cycle, or do i need to do some more work on it? or even worse should i bulk some more? all opinions welcome.

also any of my lifting stats are the ones the bodybuilding algorithm calculated. i have not tried to lift those weights they are based off of my last workout, so comments related to the lifting stats will fall of deaf ears. i don't care about that, i care about changing my body.

the pictures were taken oct 22, 2007

thanks and gig'em!

Hotmoltenlava
11-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Welcome.

You didn't list your calories or what your estimated BMR is, so it is hard to say for sure how well you will do on a cut. If those are good, your routine should give good results. Try it for a month and check your results. If you like them, stick with it. If not, shake it up a bit. It is all about trial and error. Read the stickies, if you haven't already.

Good luck.

apopheus
11-09-2007, 01:32 PM
right, sorry. new to this.

BMR is 2292 using the Harris-Benedict equations.

typical day as listed above is

Calories 2736
Carbs 239g
Protein 246g
Fat 92g

¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT!
11-09-2007, 01:57 PM
God man cut your carbs drastically to start with ..
Not all at once , but taper off and add fats in . Natural peanut butter and Extra Virgin Olive oil will be your friends thru this ..
End up with 100-130 on workout days and 50-70 on non workout days .
Do this for 2 weeks after you reach your lowest taper and then have 1 refeed day with LOTS of good carbs , less protein and MUCH less fat to meet your calories for that day 24 hours only .
Then back to low carb
and quit DRINKING so much protein

apopheus
11-09-2007, 02:32 PM
God man cut your carbs drastically to start with ..
Not all at once , but taper off and add fats in . Natural peanut butter and Extra Virgin Olive oil will be your friends thru this ..fair enough. i didn't list peanut butter in there, but i do use all natural peanut butter along with shakes. should i increase the frequency of this?

Then back to low carb my nutritionist actually told me that i was not eating enough carbs before and that is where i got the idea for the diet listed above. however, i am interested in your opinion. how do you suggest i cut back?

and quit DRINKING so much proteinyour reasoning? what do you suggest i eat in favor of drinking "so much protein"? i have to get the protein in somehow.

Hotmoltenlava
11-09-2007, 03:48 PM
my nutritionist actually told me that i was not eating enough carbs before and that is where i got the idea for the diet listed above.

There are several macros that will work, if you stick with them. If you are comfortable with what you have, try it for a month and check your results. You are doing more of a 40P\40C\20F, which is very poplular. He is suggesting a lower carb diet and some carb cycling. That works, too, but is more advanced if you consider yourself a beginner. There are several solutions to the same problem. If you don't like your results, modify or try something else. If you do your routine, with your diet plan...and stick to it, you will get results. Some macros will get quicker results, but are harder to stick to. Some are easier and move slower. Read the stickies and check out the nutrition section. There are plenty of macros that work. Pick one and apply it to your BMR for a cut.

Have a good one.

¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT!
11-09-2007, 03:57 PM
nutritionists don't know wussup with bodybuilding essentials 90% of the time imho

apopheus
11-09-2007, 04:14 PM
thanks hotmoltenlava. i am working on reading through all the stickies. there is a lot of information there.

and thanks for the pointers, mrlovrlovr.

i think i will cut some carbs out (lose the cheese, add in some more nuts/peanut butter, drop the salad/pasta salad in favor of grilled chicken with a side of fiber).

i don't know if i can cut the liquid protein. it's just so convenient. are powerbars or cliff bars more preferable in favor of shakes? or are they about the same?

does 18% bf sound more reasonable based on pictures? i bought some calipers and that is the result i got. i got that range 4 out of 5 times. the other time was lower so i imagine i did something wrong with it.

Forgotten18
11-09-2007, 04:37 PM
I would reccommend adding some fish to your diet. Good source of fats/proteins.

¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT!
11-09-2007, 08:30 PM
cheese is okay - COTTAGE cheese is great .
as above poster said tuna is a cheap staple in a good bb diet , and any and all other seafood really .
All I'm saying is gradually taper out of the carbs awhile and see how it goes . Especially cut out white pastas and breads - use only whole wheat - not enriched .
Then like every 2 weeks or so treat yourself to a nice white pasta dish prepared however you like , but still within reason - on your carb up day . The other every 2 weeks indulge in the cleanest carbs - brown rice , tuna n whole wheat , sweet potatoes , oatmeal , fiber one cereal etc etc ..
No the bars aren't better than liquid - all I am saying is save your protein for upon waking 1 serving , and post workout 1.5 servings - pre workout 20 minutes or so is up to you .
If your macros are falling short for the day protein wise it's not gonna kill you to be 40g short - eat a nice serving of cottage cheese w/vanilla light n' fit yogurt mixed in and some natural pb pre-bed .
good quality fish oil caps are somewhat a must as well
just taper off and begin replacing some things and be sure to count your calories RELIGOUSLY - cal in and out ..
sparkpeople.com is pretty darn good for this - it's what I use and it's working out fine ..
you really dont have much to lose - and I think you would do great just fine tuning and tweaking your diet as we all have laid out .
Sometimes I pour 2 tblspn EV olive oil into a cup of crystal light lemonade and mix like crazy right before every sip just to make sure my fat is taken care of for the day - sound gross ? It tastes great ( except for teh oil mustache )
dont be afraid to use it sparingly and dont be afraid to use butter once in awhile - REALY unsalted creamery butter ..

oh and as far as protein goes - the liquid - why drink your protein that is absorbed almost instantly - unless after workout when you NEED it .
whole foods are a much better option

Tomek
11-09-2007, 09:56 PM
As far as calories go and managing carbs. Id keep them were they are at now.. your body will respond to a cut very well in the first few months and you won't need to cut them out.. Once you get to the last annoying phase of your cut you should supries your body and reduce the carbs and play with them, why spoil the suprise. :D

good luck.... oh, and id put you lower then 30% bf too.

Bad Company
11-09-2007, 10:49 PM
Looks fine
Good luck :)

apopheus
11-09-2007, 11:08 PM
thanks for all the advice and well wishes everyone.

i did go out and get some cottage cheese after reading some of the stickies. i already had the natural peanut butter and i have a few cans of tuna in my pantry.

as for the peanut butter, is there any brand or particular kind that is preferable over another? i bought a jar from Smart Balance (I use their butter and haven't any complaints for them) with 1000mg Omega 3's. although this jar did not have the separation i've noticed in previous jars of different brands. is this a bad sign?

i also got unsalted mixed nuts from the health food store. it is majority almonds with a few others added in.

so as far as the above, i have replaced the last meal with some nuts and then pre-bed a 1/4 cup cottage cheese, packet of splenda, cinnamon and a teaspoon of natty pb.

i think i'll play around with removing the extra protein shakes and incorporating some more tuna and solid food.

oh and i am already on the whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread regimen. i don't think i own anything with enriched flour of any kind these days. i started that about two years ago.

so, again, thanks for your help. if anyone has anything else to add, thank you in advance.

¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT!
11-10-2007, 02:50 AM
I agree with tomek as well to an extent - I didnt realize you were not already in a caloric deficit .
One reason I dont agree though is you have been at the same level for quite some time now and your body is ready for it .
And white pasta aint all bad - just during carb ups is the only time I eat them .
White potatoes I am not scared of as long as I am eating them post workout meal only ..
You seriously look like youre off to an excellent start and a VERY solid one .
Oh - the smart balance is big $ I just use Smuckers Natural which is like 1lb 10ounces for $3.50
Or I go to my local planters shop and have them MAKE ME natty PB by grinding peanuts and adding a little peanut oil .
That's about $1.70 a pound so cheaper than store bought and tastes as good or better !

I advise you to seriously just do a lot of reading and soak up the big picture