PDA

View Full Version : Lifting on an empty stomach...

slashmash
08-26-2002, 09:51 PM
is it ok to lift on an empty stomach? like if i was to wake up and go to the gym and lift weights is that ok, as long as i get my post workout shake in? how important is a preworkout meal?

xXx
08-26-2002, 11:01 PM
If you want to lose weight you can. I get up at 5Am and lift but I drink 1/2 cup of grape juice with 20grams of whey about 30 min before i lift..

fitforlife
08-27-2002, 04:50 AM
XXX is right. Your body's glycogen stores have been depleted due to sleeping for 8 hours without any protien or carbs. It would be wise to either take some protien or carbs in the morning to keep from catabolising your muscles. I take 16oz of gatorade with 5g of glutamine in the morning before I lift. I probably should take in some protien, but I can't workout good if I take in too many calories first thing in the morning. It makes me sluggish. Now cardio, on the other hand, is a whole different story. You want to have an empty stomach for that.

D&G
08-27-2002, 04:55 AM
don't workout on an empty stomach if you just woke up - you need some protein because cortisol levels are high - that also applies to cardio - dont wake up and do it on an empty stomach - the high cortisol levels mean you'll be losing too much muscle.