PDA

View Full Version : Do you know what you're saying to the rest of the world when you're driving...

Lloyd Braun
11-05-2007, 02:39 PM
...one of these?

http://www.supercars.dk/images/products/wallpapers-hummer-h2.jpg

"To hell with the environment"

Why not just plaster it on the back bumper?

Discuss.

paulpfiction
11-05-2007, 02:40 PM
why not just shut up and stop bitching?

Mark_ey
11-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Money is the root to all evil

Money is the key to greed

Manipulation to make money

Money feeds the soul of the devil

problem isn't money the paper

problem is how to get the paper and the things they do to get the paper

Lloyd Braun
11-05-2007, 02:44 PM
why not just shut up and stop bitching?

Ehh? Care to explain how not "bitching" about consumers driving unnecessary urban tanks is a good thing??

If anything there should be more social disdain for these gas-guzzling goliaths.

AKR
11-05-2007, 02:45 PM
...one of these?

Discuss.

we should make up some stickers that say "i'm a selfish f*ck who hates the environment" and slap them on ever hummer we see. i'm sick of seeing these insecure assh*les driving around in squeeky clean hummers.

paulpfiction
11-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Ehh? Care to explain how "bitching" about consumers driving unnecessary urban tanks is a good thing??

If anything there should be more social disdain for these gas-guzzling goliaths.

i never said bitching about it was a good thing

thats why i told you to stop

JUSA
11-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Ehh? Care to explain how "bitching" about consumers driving unnecessary urban tanks is a good thing??

If anything there should be more social disdain for these gas-guzzling goliaths. It's people like you who key cars like that. Some people like to drive big cars. Why not complain about Al Gore putting x100 times more pollutants in the air than that guy?

bamatank
11-05-2007, 02:47 PM
we should make up some stickers that say "i'm a selfish f*ck who hates the environment" and slap them on ever hummer we see. i'm sick of seeing these insecure assh*les driving around in squeeky clean hummers.

No kidding. In a more subtle way they are advertising to the world that they have a small dick.

Hesh
11-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Do you know what you're saying to the rest of the world when you're driving......one of these?

It says I'm an alpha gansta rapper. Look at me ladies.

paulpfiction
11-05-2007, 02:49 PM
No kidding. In a more subtle way they are advertising to the world that they have a small dick.

or they're advertising they are more successful than you

Lloyd Braun
11-05-2007, 02:50 PM
It's people like you who key cars like that.

What? Just because I harbor an intense disdain for people who drive these goliath SUV's for social status doesn't mean I go around keying other peoples' cars.

Some people like to drive big cars.

That's the whole problem.

X2. Glad to see somebody getting it.

AKR
11-05-2007, 02:50 PM

if they have to advertise, they're trying to make up for some kind of insecurity.

Lloyd Braun
11-05-2007, 02:52 PM

Is that some sort of argument?

paulpfiction
11-05-2007, 02:56 PM
if they have to advertise, they're trying to make up for some kind of insecurity.

people who can't afford cars like that always say something along those lines to make themselves feel better

so if a dude is rich and has a huge cock he's gonna be like...nonono honey...people will think of me wrong if i drive a hummer...lets get the geo metro!

in pink

JUSA
11-05-2007, 02:57 PM
we should make up some stickers that say "i'm a selfish f*ck who hates the environment" and slap them on ever hummer we see. i'm sick of seeing these insecure assh*les driving around in squeeky clean hummers. I think I'll get a Hummer and put a bumper sticker that says, "If you try and put a bumper sticker on my car: I will kick your ass".

Who the **** are you to **** with someone's car like this? You enviro-fascists are really sick in the head or something.

You're not even very manly on this one. A real man might confront the driver face-to-face and voice their concern. You, you're skulking in the shadows and like a true coward, waiting till the owner is gone so you can vandalize their property. Why is that? Are you afraid?

paulpfiction
11-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Is that some sort of argument?

was there some sort of reason for you making this topic?

JUSA
11-05-2007, 02:59 PM
What? Just because I harbor an intense disdain for people who drive these goliath SUV's for social status doesn't mean I go around keying other peoples' cars. Yet, you support AKR's suggestion to vandalize the car.

Hey, what is the guy who drives it plants a tree? Isn't Al Gore absolved of his Eco-Sins because he's a spokesman for the environment? Ha.

Absolute0
11-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Unfortunately in America people can drive whatever the hell they want. I dont get so mad when i see Hummers, I get more upset when i see 16 year old kids driving brand new trucks with giant lifts and wheels, but never putting anything in the back, never hauling anything, never going offroad... I mean if you buy a big vehicle it *should* be for a functional reason. I only let my opinion heard in conversations where i say that for me, having a compact car that has good acceleration and excellent mileage is all i care about. There are many reasons to own bigger cars, but they don't apply to me.

Lloyd Braun
11-05-2007, 03:03 PM
people who can't afford cars like that always say something along those lines to make themselves feel better

Nonsense. And let's not act as if owning a gas-guzzling SUV is some great personal achievement here. Practically anyone can own one nowadays. Being successful and wealthy doesn't mean you have free reign to further congest earth's atmosphere. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that anybody driving one of these goliath's, knowing what we know today regarding global warming and energy independence, still has the gaul to continue justify driving and/or buying one, is a complete prick.

It's this entire "me first" attitude which is completely screwing over our childrens children.

so if a dude is rich and has a huge cock he's gonna be like...nonono honey...people will think of me wrong if i drive a hummer...lets get the geo metro!

I'm not saying go out and buy some 3-wheeled electric car, but is driving an H2 necessary?

pakmansc300
11-05-2007, 03:05 PM
SUV's are a waste, who actually uses a SUV for what it is made for? Compact, mid-size, sports cars FTW(no fast and furious)

JUSA
11-05-2007, 03:05 PM
I usually own some kind of SUV, I wish I had a truck right now (I would use it).

But, I do like the bigger cars. I like riding high, smaller cars tend to respect you on the road more and in Texas there are a lot of other big cars to contend with, so I just feel unsafe in a mini-car.

I guess I deserve some tree-hugging hippy to sneak around in the shadows to vandalize my car, right? Why is it those cowards never say **** to your face but wait until you're not around to mess with you? AKR theorized people who drive big cars are insecure. I theorize people who are enivro-nuts have no balls. Oddly, my theory actually holds more water as it has some correlating evidence and isn't based solely on the rantings of a enviro-worshiper.

AKR
11-05-2007, 03:06 PM

in pink

:rolleyes: you're not worth talking to. moving on....

Beatitude
11-05-2007, 03:06 PM
...one of these?

Discuss.

That's a cool looking car.

Lloyd Braun
11-05-2007, 03:07 PM
was there some sort of reason for you making this topic?

Yes. I'm voicing my opinion. :)

Yet, you support AKR's suggestion to vandalize the car.

No, I don't support that. Although the feeling is understandable.

I mean if you buy a big vehicle it *should* be for a functional reason.

Agree, and just to note I am not limiting my disdain to just H2's but all these other urban assault vehicles.

As for the entire 1% of SUV owners who actually need their SUV, I have no beef with that.

JUSA
11-05-2007, 03:08 PM
No, I don't support that. Although the feeling is understandable. Gotcha.

paulpfiction
11-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Nonsense. And let's not act as if owning a gas-guzzling SUV is some great personal achievement here. Practically anyone can own one nowadays. Being successful and wealthy doesn't mean you have free reign to further congest earth's atmosphere. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that anybody driving one of these goliath's, knowing what we know today regarding global warming and energy independence, still has the gaul to continue justify driving and/or buying one, is a complete prick.

It's this entire "me first" attitude which is completely screwing over our childrens children.

I'm not saying go out and buy some 3-wheeled electric car, but is driving an H2 necessary?

I knew it was about "global warming"

well in that case carry on!

/sarcasm

maybe they like the more room...maybe they have a big family...maybe they are big people...maybe they need off road capability...maybe they have to tow a lot of weight...maybe they won it on the price is right...didn't your momma ever teach you don't judge a book by its cover

paulpfiction
11-05-2007, 03:10 PM
:rolleyes: you're not worth talking to. moving on....

where you moving to? to vandalize my jeep that gets 13 mpg city?

Dedgame
11-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Oh hey, I just got back driving an H2. Company paid for the gas cards, so it's all good. I guess when I have to turn it back in I'll be stuck with my Dodge Ram 1500.

pakmansc300
11-05-2007, 03:11 PM
But, I do like the bigger cars. I like riding high, smaller cars tend to respect you on the road more

SUV drivers don't respect anything else on the road. Small car drivers don't want to get rear ended by aggressive drivers who think there box on wheels is the ultimate driving machine.

Lloyd Braun
11-05-2007, 03:13 PM
maybe they like the more room...maybe they have a big family...maybe they are big people...maybe they need off road capability...maybe they have to tow a lot of weight...maybe they won it on the price is right...

And there aren't any alternatives? It's not either "gargantuan unnecessary assault vehicle" or "pink prius". If somebody genuinly needs the room or the vehicle for "off road capability" (what is that, like 1% of SUV owners??) then that's cool.

That said, it's annoying when I see, every day, dozens of college students driving in their yukons or trailblazers with zero passengers. Somehow I'm just not getting the impression these guys really need these tanks.

JUSA
11-05-2007, 03:14 PM
where you moving to? to vandalize my jeep that gets 13 mpg city? I think he's moving closer to a hardware store. For the drill bits.

paulpfiction
11-05-2007, 03:16 PM
And there aren't any alternatives? It's not either "gargantuan unnecessary assault vehicle" or "pink prius". If somebody genuinly needs the room or the vehicle for "off road capability" (what is that, like 1% of SUV owners??) then that's cool.

That said, it's annoying when I see, every day, dozens of college students driving in their yukons or trailblazers with zero passengers. Somehow I'm just not getting the impression these guys really need these tanks.

i almost always drive to class by myself...but then i also take trips with up to 3 people and 2 dogs...plus i also live in north dakota where we have insane amounts of snow and blizzards

AKR
11-05-2007, 03:18 PM

no ****, and if these morons are so rich and need a big vehicle, get a hybrid. it's not like they can't afford it. "oh hai, i have a family. i need a hummer." lol, right.

JUSA
11-05-2007, 03:19 PM
no ****, and if these morons are so rich and need a big vehicle, get a hybrid. it's not like they can't afford it. "oh hai, i have a family. i need a hummer." lol, right. Actually, I think it's, "Oh Hai, I live in a free country and am able to drive the car I choose, regardless of how many stinky long-haired enviro-nuts it makes cry. Furhter, I am not obligated or required to drive a hybrid, which really aren't any better for the environment anyway."

lol, right.

paulpfiction
11-05-2007, 03:20 PM
no ****, and if these morons are so rich and need a big vehicle, get a hybrid. it's not like they can't afford it. "oh hai, i have a family. i need a hummer." lol, right.

yeah because ford escape hybrids are soooooooooooo big

frankenstein
11-05-2007, 03:23 PM
They're saying "I'm not too bright." Gas is $3 right now. It will be $3.50 by memorial day weekend. It will be $4 a year after that. That's if we have peace in the Middle East and no hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico. If either or both of those happen, you'll see people selling their Hummers and buying motorcycles instead.

Live within 10 miles of your work? I suggest getting a road or mountain bike to ride most days, weather permitting. 10-15 years from now things will have calmed down, but in the meantime I'm ready to get some popcorn and watch all this unravel.

Dedgame
11-05-2007, 03:23 PM

And what are we gonna do with those huge toxic batteries in Hybrids?

They're saying "I'm not too bright." Gas is $3 right now. It will be $3.50 by memorial day weekend. It will be $4 a year after that. That's if we have peace in the Middle East and no hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico. If either or both of those happen, you'll see people selling their Hummers and buying motorcycles instead.

Live within 10 miles of your work? I suggest getting a road or mountain bike to ride most days, weather permitting. 10-15 years from now things will have calmed down, but in the meantime I'm ready to get some popcorn and watch all this unravel.

I've even thought about riding my bike to work. 25mi away...

JUSA
11-05-2007, 03:25 PM
And what are we gonna do with those huge toxic batteries in Hybrids? Shhhh, we don't want that kind of talk here. The Envio-Priests have spoken and sayeth that thou shalt driveth a hybrid. That's all that matters! Duh! I mean, if enviro-nuts honestly cares about the movement, do you honestly think they'd have a guy who wastes 100 times more energy than any average person as their SpokesGod?

frankenstein
11-05-2007, 03:28 PM
It's kind of sad that so many people use their cars as a status symbol. Ironically, a ton of people buy cars they can't afford. REPO!!! They end up not going out on the weekends because they can't afford to. Or if they do, they drink Bud Light all night long.

Last car purchase I could afford a Lexus, but bought a Scion.
I have a brother- between himself and his wife they make over $200,000/year. They both drive cars over 10 years old.

frankenstein
11-05-2007, 03:30 PM
And what are we gonna do with those huge toxic batteries in Hybrids?

I've even thought about riding my bike to work. 25mi away...

If I weren't in outside sales, I'd be all over that. Helps make sure you don't end up a fatass too.
We're going to see a few more Vespas and the like soon.

devire1
11-05-2007, 03:30 PM
i almost always drive to class by myself...but then i also take trips with up to 3 people and 2 dogs...plus i also live in north dakota where we have insane amounts of snow and blizzards

lol.

there is NO need to justify yourself to ANYONE on this particular issue.

Dedgame
11-05-2007, 03:36 PM
If I weren't in outside sales, I'd be all over that. Helps make sure you don't end up a fatass too.
We're going to see a few more Vespas and the like soon.

Yeah, but after 50mi of bike riding 4x/week I don't think I'd have enough energy to workout. :(

pakmansc300
11-05-2007, 03:37 PM

There are other vehicles besides SUV's that can get through a blizzard.

amt87
11-05-2007, 03:44 PM
...one of these?

Discuss.

I'm extremely under-endowed and the one time I was brave enough to pull it out in front of someone she laughed in my face even though I had paid her $300

Yet with all the time I have to concentrate on worldly matters I haven't connected the rise of oil to almost $100 a barrel with my Mini tank...

HELIX35
11-05-2007, 03:50 PM
God forbid someone buy something they want and enjoy that makes them happy.

Lloyd Braun
11-05-2007, 03:53 PM
God forbid someone buy something they want and enjoy that makes them happy.

And if what they want just so happens to contribute to our already massive environmental problem, so what eh?

HELIX35
11-05-2007, 03:58 PM
And if what they want just so happens to contribute to our already massive environmental problem, so what eh?

Does your house operate on wind or solar power? Do you have low pressure waterheads? Do you recycle everything? Do you have a low flow toilet? Do you ensure all lights in your house are off at all uneeded times? Do you use a fireplace instead of central heating? Do you have all airconditioning unisntalled? Do you turn off the water while shaving and brushing your teeth? Do you take 3 minute showers?

If you cannot answer yes to all of those, worry about yourself and leave other people alone, because you're a contributer as well.

frankenstein
11-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Yeah, but after 50mi of bike riding 4x/week I don't think I'd have enough energy to workout. :(

Oh ****- 25 each way?? Ok, that would be a bit much. Not having enough energy wouldn't be the problem. I'd be more worried about crushing some of the blood vessels near my junk, causing at least temporary impotence.
50 miles each day would be too much. 20 wouldn't.

I'll probably buy a hybrid as next car purchase in 3-5 years. By then, it will take less time to get the ROI (return on investment).

Check out Honda's latest hybrid that will likely go into production in early 2009:
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/10/29/hondas-prius-fighter-set-for-debut-in-2009/
Friggin sweet.

nonAtlas
11-05-2007, 04:03 PM
...one of these?

"Mind your own business"

Discuss.

Indeed.

Lloyd Braun
11-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Does your house operate on wind or solar power? Do you have low pressure waterheads? Do you recycle everything? Do you have a low flow toilet? Do you ensure all lights in your house are off at all uneeded times? Do you use a fireplace instead of central heating? Do you have all airconditioning unisntalled? Do you turn off the water while shaving and brushing your teeth? Do you take 3 minute showers?

If you cannot answer yes to all of those, worry about yourself and leave other people alone, because you're a contributer as well.

I actually do most of those things. :)

However, the fact that I do contribute to the present problem doesn't entail that we all contribute equally. Some people contribute more than others. That was the entire point of my post. I am not going out and saying let's all buy hybrids, or worse yet, we should all be forced to buy hybrids, I am calling into judgement whether or not buying these goliath vehicles are truly necessary. Personally, I don't believe they are for the overwhelming vast majority of SUV owners.

I think it's an embarassment that the richest and wealthiest nation in the history of the world, and with all our vast technological innovation, our gas-mileage cannot even keep up with the Koreans for heavens sake.

nonAtlas
11-05-2007, 04:04 PM

Then their last name becomes "Gore". :)

DaCougarMech
11-05-2007, 04:06 PM
gah. i hate the people in my town

i cant go a day without seeing 5 new H2s around town

nonAtlas
11-05-2007, 04:07 PM
I am calling into judgement whether or not buying these goliath vehicles are truly necessary. Personally, I don't believe they are for the overwhelming vast majority of SUV owners.

But you don't know the answer or have the authority to speak on the matter. What I do with my money is MY affair and no one else's, and I respect your rights in the same context. So the bottom line is you need to find a way to become useful and not just be a parasite on society.

:)

Lloyd Braun
11-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Then their last name becomes "Gore". :)

I don't know why you guys keep bringing up Gore. What his own hypocrisy has to do with energy conservation in the first place, I have no idea. Fine, the guy's a hypocrit but let's not discredit the entire movement because of it.

The issue seems real simple to me. We are unnecessarily consuming energy which contributes to a global problem.

nonAtlas
11-05-2007, 04:15 PM
I don't know why you guys keep bringing up Gore. What his own hypocrisy has to do with energy conservation in the first place, I have no idea. Fine, the guy's a hypocrit but let's not discredit the entire movement because of it.

The issue seems real simple to me. Why continue to unnecessarily add to the environmental problem?

"movement"? Fine; you admit that the whole "environment" crusade is just cover for far-leftism, which is why it has at its heart the destruction of the USA and Western civilization by killing the economy and our standard of living, and as a result millions of lives that depend on it overseas.

If you are happy being a statist and a pusher of central government, fine. Just don't hide behind the standard "environment" lies that the far left has adopted as its latest excuse for existing.

:rolleyes:

HELIX35
11-05-2007, 04:15 PM
I actually do most of those things. :)

However, the fact that I do contribute to the present problem doesn't entail that we all contribute equally. Some people contribute more than others. That was the entire point of my post. I am not going out and saying let's all buy hybrids, or worse yet, we should all be forced to buy hybrids, I am calling into judgement whether or not buying these goliath vehicles are truly necessary. Personally, I don't believe they are for the overwhelming vast majority of SUV owners.

I think it's an embarassment that the richest and wealthiest nation in the history of the world, and with all our vast technological innovation, our gas-mileage cannot even keep up with the Koreans for heavens sake.

I agree we all contribute to it and in different amounts, but I also think we all do so much that we could be doing different, that we shouldn't be upset with someone else if they are contributing more.

Hell, having kids increases consumption and waste, so should we all limit ourselves to only having one child? Of course not.

JUSA
11-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Hell, having kids increases consumption and waste, so should we all limit ourselves to only having one child? Of course not. I believe AKR & Sheduma have advocated something like this. Careful where you draw the line, there is always some extremist who will step over it!

DaCougarMech
11-05-2007, 04:17 PM

The issue seems real simple to me. We are unnecessarily consuming energy which contributes to a global problem.

manbearpig. lawl

nonAtlas
11-05-2007, 04:21 PM

There is no "issue", and our use of energy is completely necessary. That is the price of feeding, medicating, clothing, housing, defending and educating so much of the world and of keeping disease and despotism from controlling people of insufficient resources to provide for themselves.

The cost of freedom is more than the bill for a few yards of paper on which to publish the accomplishments of Western civilization and its basis in capitalism and Bible morality. It is an ongoing cost, and we have no excuse to back away from it. We save nothing by letting people suffer, and the "environment" is in no danger. Without us here it has no value anyhow, so we shall use it for all it can provide us.

:)

JUSA
11-05-2007, 04:23 PM

The issue seems real simple to me. We are unnecessarily consuming energy which contributes to a global problem. Gore is the face of the movement for many people.

Personally, I think environmental causes are very important and deserve to be looked at with intelligence and reason. Al Gore doesn't bring that to the table, he'll do anything (even endorse craptastic bull**** movies like "The Day After Tomorrow") and on top of it, he's a hypocrit who says one thing and does another.

There is a lot of noise out there with this movement. Why, right here in this thread AKR who is a self-professed green guy, displayed a lot of ignorance over hybrid cars and their effect on the environment - and you'd think he would know (but he doesn't).

I don't think it does anyone any good to institute all kinds of measures that don't work.

Lloyd Braun
11-05-2007, 04:28 PM
manbearpig. lawl

The misc. is that <----- way.

I agree we all contribute to it and in different amounts, but I also think we all do so much that we could be doing different, that we shouldn't be upset with someone else if they are contributing more.

Hell, having kids increases consumption and waste, so should we all limit ourselves to only having one child? Of course not.

That is true to some extent. I think that problem can be corrected simply through having less children however. Eventually, the system will break. My main caveat is unnecessary consumption. Unnecessary being the key word here. If someone legitimately needs an SUV that's fine. But given what we now know regarding human contribution to global warming or heck, even energy independence, I think most individuals would do future generations a huge favor by sacrificing some extra leg room for the time being.

"movement"? Fine; you admit that the whole "environment" crusade is just cover for far-leftism, which is why it has at its heart the destruction of the USA and Western civilization by killing the economy and our standard of living, and as a result millions of lives that depend on it overseas.

If you are happy being a statist and a pusher of central government, fine. Just don't hide behind the standard "environment" lies that the far left has adopted as its latest excuse for existing.

What the hell are you talking about man? I'm a moderate-to-right Republican. I'm just not one of those Republicans who believe the "science isn't out yet" on global warming.

HELIX35
11-05-2007, 04:28 PM
(even endorse craptastic bull**** movies like "The Day After Tomorrow") .

Craptastic?! Are you Crazy? We're about to hit a critical desalinization point here!!

CRITICAL DESALINIZATION!!1!!1!

HELIX35
11-05-2007, 04:32 PM
That is true to some extent. I think that problem can be corrected simply through having less children however. Eventually, the system will break. My main caveat is unnecessary consumption. Unnecessary being the key word here. If someone legitimately needs an SUV that's fine. But given what we now know regarding human contribution to global warming or heck, even energy independence, I think most individuals would do future generations a huge favor by sacrificing some extra leg room for the time being.

All I'm saying is we all increase unnecessary consumption in one way or another. We all like our creature comforts enought that to one extent or another, we're all to blame. Unless someone is a ridiculously over the top wacked out polluting consuming idiot, I don't get to bent out of shape.

And manbearpig is the greatest single threat to mankind.

Lloyd Braun
11-05-2007, 04:32 PM
I don't think it does anyone any good to institute all kinds of measures that don't work.

X2. I'm not in favor of forcing people to go green, I just wish they would. If anything I'd rather we go green just to get the hell out of the Middle-East.

TheGunther
11-05-2007, 04:40 PM
This is a free country and I can drive what ever the **** I want. The government has not mandated any enviromental laws that restrict me from driving whatever I want, whenever I want. Furthermore, The government has yet to restrictions on automobile companies, so until they do I dont give a damn!

DaCougarMech
11-05-2007, 04:46 PM
All I'm saying is we all increase unnecessary consumption in one way or another. We all like our creature comforts enought that to one extent or another, we're all to blame. Unless someone is a ridiculously over the top wacked out polluting consuming idiot, I don't get to bent out of shape.

And manbearpig is the greatest single threat to mankind.

he's half man, half bear, and half pig. manbearpig

This is a free country and I can drive what ever the **** I want. The government has not mandated any enviromental laws that restrict me from driving whatever I want, whenever I want. Furthermore, The government has yet to restrictions on automobile companies, so until they do I dont give a damn!

herro?

herro?

anybody home?

i would like some delicious cake!

Lloyd Braun
11-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Furthermore, The government has yet to restrictions on automobile companies, so until they do I dont give a damn![/b]

Yay for overconsumption!

(insert lame ass misc cliche)

5x10
11-05-2007, 05:06 PM
i would love to have that car

i wonder how the environmentalist would feel if they were filthy rich.
its easy to say what you would do, but until you are in that position, its speculation becuase money changes people(not all, but it does)

being dirty rich would allow you the freedom to do what you want, whenever you want, and there might not be time for hugging the trees

_Bladen_
11-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Ive actually seen a H2 with a bumper sticker that said "Screw The Ozone" couldn't stop laughing lol. Just one of those things you never think you will see.

soccer mom driving it nonetheless.

frankenstein
11-05-2007, 05:33 PM
X2. I'm not in favor of forcing people to go green, I just wish they would. If anything I'd rather we go green just to get the hell out of the Middle-East.

Cool. There's a lot being done right now.
www.greencarcongress.com
www.autobloggreen.com
http://blog.wired.com/cars/

Solar panels are beginning to come to the fruition as we'd hoped they would- cost competitive with conventional energy sources. It's just most of the expense is up front. Geothermal is becoming more viable, albeit slowly.
It's interesting that everyone focuses on cars, when those are only a small portion of pollution.

Personally, I'm not panicked about global warming the way lots of people are. Al Gore I believe has a hidden agenda. I like clean air and water, fish that aren't laden with mercury.

IraHays
11-05-2007, 05:40 PM
When the envirofundies stop railing against nuclear power, then I will listen to them.

Until then they can stfu about what people drive.

TheGunther
11-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Cool. There's a lot being done right now.
www.greencarcongress.com
www.autobloggreen.com
http://blog.wired.com/cars/

Solar panels are beginning to come to the fruition as we'd hoped they would- cost competitive with conventional energy sources. It's just most of the expense is up front. Geothermal is becoming more viable, albeit slowly.
It's interesting that everyone focuses on cars, when those are only a small portion of pollution.

Personally, I'm not panicked about global warming the way lots of people are. Al Gore I believe has a hidden agenda. I like clean air and water, fish that aren't laden with mercury.

That's the main thing. All these things to go green are not really affordable. If I'm thinking of putting solar panels on my house, it's not to save the planet, but to cut down the cost of my electric bill. Until people find that by doing things they can also save money and without that much effort it will not be very popular.

Lloyd Braun
11-05-2007, 06:09 PM
i wonder how the environmentalist would feel if they were filthy rich.
its easy to say what you would do, but until you are in that position, its speculation becuase money changes people(not all, but it does)

I believe Bill Maher drives a hybrid. As does Leonardo DiCaprio. LOL.

I'm not necessarily talking about just Hummers. They are one of the worst offenders but those gigantic Chevy Tahoes, Escalades, Expeditions, etc. are right up there as well.

I'm seriously considering getting a hybrid. The cost still probably isn't worth it but tinkering with the technology would be fun. I've read of guys getting 100 miles to the gallon. Not too shabby.

TheGunther
11-05-2007, 06:10 PM
I believe Bill Maher drives a hybrid. As does Leonardo DiCaprio. LOL.

I'm not necessarily talking about just Hummers. They are one of the worst offenders but those gigantic Chevy Tahoes, Escalades, Expeditions, etc. are right up there as well.

I'm seriously considering getting a hybrid. The cost still probably isn't worth it but tinkering with the technology would be fun. I've read of guys getting 100 miles to the gallon. Not too shabby.

while they live in their 10,000 sq ft mansions that use enough energy to light up a small town. Give me a break! :rolleyes:

Lloyd Braun
11-05-2007, 06:12 PM
while they live in their 10,000 sq ft mansions that use enough energy to light up a small town. Give me a break! :rolleyes:

How would know whether or not they have implemented energy-savings measures? What does that even have to do with driving a hybrid?

Pull some figures and back that claim up.

Absolute0
11-05-2007, 06:12 PM
nuclear power plants and electric cars is the future :cool:

Squinky
11-05-2007, 06:37 PM
http://naurunappula.com/19384/4507.jpg

nonAtlas
11-05-2007, 06:41 PM
the "science isn't out yet" on global warming.

Oh but it is, and it says that nothing out of the ordinary has happened or is happening in our weather. Weather is exactly the explanation of any "warming" or cooling we experience. Mankind has no impact on it and no ability to affect it. :)

nonAtlas
11-05-2007, 06:44 PM
I believe Bill Maher drives a hybrid. As does Leonardo Dicaprio.

So what? A person would have to be seriously effed up to want to emulate either of those liars.

Ali_Z
11-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Have any of you guys heard of the new H3 Hybrid? It suppossedly gets 60mpg and goes from 0-60 in under 5 seconds.

jackal337
11-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Have any of you guys heard of the new H3 Hybrid? It suppossedly gets 60mpg and goes from 0-60 in under 5 seconds.

link?

jackal337
11-05-2007, 07:15 PM
All vehicles should be banned except for motorcycles. I challenge anybody to give me a reason not to.

Ali_Z
11-05-2007, 07:17 PM
link?

Don't know if it is legit but here is the link.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2007/10/30/14161/066

HELIX35
11-05-2007, 07:20 PM
All vehicles should be banned except for motorcycles. I challenge anybody to give me a reason not to.

You going to drive you're 2 year old to the doctor on a motorcycle?

Also you're an idiot. That's a good reason too.

jackal337
11-05-2007, 07:25 PM
You going to drive you're 2 year old to the doctor on a motorcycle?

Also you're an idiot. That's a good reason too.

Maybe people shouldn't live in such huge communities, ever think of that? No? I didn't think so. You are the idiot here I'm afraid.

jackal337
11-05-2007, 07:26 PM
All vehicles should be banned. We don't need em. We can go back to walking. So there.

TJ_Strong
11-05-2007, 07:28 PM
I laughed out loud at the big letters.

HELIX35
11-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Maybe people shouldn't live in such huge communities, ever think of that? No? I didn't think so. You are the idiot here I'm afraid.

You're right, everone should live within walking distance of a hospital, grocery store, bank, and their workplace. Also, all cargo and supplies should be transported in baskets on the front of motorcycles. It would only take 200 or so to carry the load a semi trailer does, so that works out pretty well. Hopefully all the hospitals have really strong EMT's to carry people around without ambulances, and cops can just tie criminals to the back of their cylces and drag them to the police station. We can trade out dumptrucks for 50 guys with wheelbarrows, and all the little kids can walk to school, they don't need a bus.

stealth_swimmer
11-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Ehh? Care to explain how not "bitching" about consumers driving unnecessary urban tanks is a good thing??

It's all good. They should just make some that run on that E-85 fuel or whatever that cleaner burning fuel is called.

jackal337
11-05-2007, 07:47 PM
You're right, everone should live within walking distance of a hospital, grocery store, bank, and their workplace. Also, all cargo and supplies should be transported in baskets on the front of motorcycles. It would only take 200 or so to carry the load a semi trailer does, so that works out pretty well. Hopefully all the hospitals have really strong EMT's to carry people around without ambulances, and cops can just tie criminals to the back of their cylces and drag them to the police station. We can trade out dumptrucks for 50 guys with wheelbarrows, and all the little kids can walk to school, they don't need a bus.

Not bad, but like I said before, it's actually best to have NO vehicles. They are dumb and a waste of money and their main purpose is to make the rich more money when every one thinks "OMG I MUST BUY A KEWL NEW CAR EVERY OTHER YEAR AND THE WORSE GAS MILAGE IT GETS THE MORE GANGSTA IT IS LOLOLOLOL"

Calhexas
11-05-2007, 08:08 PM

Well wouldn't that be a perfect world?

What's the name of that town in those Walgreen's commercials?

I think this is the place you speak of.

Lloyd Braun
11-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Oh but it is, and it says that nothing out of the ordinary has happened or is happening in our weather. Weather is exactly the explanation of any "warming" or cooling we experience. Mankind has no impact on it and no ability to affect it.

I honestly don't believe you think that. I think you want to think that. Saying otherwise would mean that a change in lifestyle consumption is needed. If you honestly believe the evidence doesn't point that way, so be it, but the overwhelming vast majority of climatory scientists disagree with you.

That said, I think a little less consumption is a good thing. Overconsumption sure isn't. And while I'm not in favor of forcing people to make drastic lifestyle changes, I would hope that modern citizens would have the foresight to recognize our own pollutant "footprint" and adjust accordingly and willingly. At least for the sake of future generations.

I stand by my previous statements. If someone wants to buy an oversized Tahoe go right ahead. I don't believe, barring it's necessary acquisition, it is the wisest of choices in the long run however.

gsxrbber
11-05-2007, 08:14 PM
oh hai guys!
brb need to let my f-350 idle in my driveway.
chillin in the r&p, wastin ur energiezz. what u gonna do about that.

HoosierBoy
11-05-2007, 08:15 PM
...one of these?

Discuss.

I assume you drive an electric car, correct? Either that or you ride a bike to work. Because anyone who drives a gas-powered car, even a hybrid, would be using one of these alternitives if they really cared about the precious environment.

gsxrbber
11-05-2007, 08:16 PM
also just because one of the idiots here pointed that their uncle or w/e makes 200k and still drives a 10 year old car...are u aware that the 10 year old car he drives pollutes almost 3x more greenhouse gas than the 2007 hummer h2.

HELIX35
11-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Not bad, but like I said before, it's actually best to have NO vehicles. They are dumb and a waste of money and their main purpose is to make the rich more money when every one thinks "OMG I MUST BUY A KEWL NEW CAR EVERY OTHER YEAR AND THE WORSE GAS MILAGE IT GETS THE MORE GANGSTA IT IS LOLOLOLOL"

You might want to re-analyze your postition, our society is far too broad and advanced to revert to that state.

Also, the only person that agrees with you is one of the most blatant trolls on the board.

Lloyd Braun
11-05-2007, 08:29 PM
I assume you drive an electric car, correct? Either that or you ride a bike to work. Because anyone who drives a gas-powered car, even a hybrid, would be using one of these alternitives if they really cared about the precious environment.

I already went over this. Not only did I not say or assert that, but I disagree with the premise as well. I'm not advocating everybody go out and buy hybrids, in fact I don't think much of the green movement really is either.

Instead, and I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself in this thread, I stated that, barring it's necessary acquisition, buying an SUV isn't the wisest of choices. Even if the choice is between, say a mustang and an accord, choosing the accord saves energy. We don't need to radically alter out lifestyles to such an extreme degree. If everybody simply conserved a bit less, it would help.

guest89
11-05-2007, 08:30 PM
I don't see you pointing fingers at millionaires (like Gore) flying around in private jets.

HoosierBoy
11-05-2007, 08:32 PM
I already went over this. Not only did I not say or assert that, but I disagree with the premise as well. I'm not advocating everybody go out and buy hybrids, in fact I don't think much of the green movement really is either.

Instead, and I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself in this thread, I stated that, barring it's necessary acquisition, buying an SUV isn't the wisest of choices. Even if the choice is between, say a mustang and an accord, choosing the accord saves energy. We don't need to radically alter out lifestyles to such an extreme degree. If everybody simply conserved a bit less, it would help.

If there is no need to radically alter our activities, than the problem must be fairly small. I shall make no changes.

Lloyd Braun
11-05-2007, 08:35 PM
If there is no need to radically alter our activities, than the problem must be fairly small.

No. I think it's a huge problem. That said I don't believe we need to radically alter our lifestyles to effect positive and qualitative change. I'm not advocating that we begin living in trees and jog fifty miles to work.

Lloyd Braun
11-05-2007, 08:37 PM
I don't see you pointing fingers at millionaires (like Gore) flying around in private jets.

Check post #54.

HoosierBoy
11-05-2007, 09:23 PM
No. I think it's a huge problem. That said I don't believe we need to radically alter our lifestyles to effect positive and qualitative change. I'm not advocating that we begin living in trees and jog fifty miles to work.

So we should only care to the point where we're not greatly inconvenienced?

frankenstein
11-05-2007, 09:44 PM

You apparently don't understand when someone is making fun of you, huh?
This post of yours deserves nomination for dumbest post of the year next month.

jackal337
11-05-2007, 09:54 PM
You apparently don't understand when someone is making fun of you, huh?
This post of yours deserves nomination for dumbest post of the year next month.

Obviously his post was sarcastic. That doesn't mean that his ideas in that post weren't good ideas even though he thought they were.

HELIX35
11-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Obviously his post was sarcastic. That doesn't mean that his ideas in that post weren't good ideas even though he thought they were.

So... you think my "suggestions" are a good idea?

A fleet of motorcycles to carry one semi worth of cargo?

EMT's fireman carrying grievously wounded to a hospital?

Carrying a 2 year old on a motorcycle?

50 employees with wheel barrows instead of 1 with a dump truck?

^-------Those are good ideas?" Are you retarded?

jackal337
11-05-2007, 10:06 PM
So... you think my "suggestions" are a good idea?

A fleet of motorcycles to carry one semi worth of cargo?

EMT's fireman carrying grievously wounded to a hospital?

Carrying a 2 year old on a motorcycle?

50 employees with wheel barrows instead of 1 with a dump truck?

^-------Those are good ideas?" Are you retarded?

They are OK ideas but instead of motorcycles, you should opt for zero pollution methods such as WALKING.

AMERICAZHUSTLA
11-05-2007, 10:13 PM
i drive a armada cause im tall and i like nice **** so **** all you who cant afford nice cars so you say dumb **** like ur gonna put a sticker on my car cause its big **** YOU

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/Mihanas/P3200041.jpg

LunicaAshes
11-05-2007, 10:14 PM
i drive a armada cause im tall and i like nice **** so **** all you who cant afford nice cars so you say dumb **** like ur gonna put a sticker on my car cause its big **** YOU

Yes, everyone knows that people who do not agree with polluting the environment needlessly only feel that way because they cannot afford to pollute the environment needlessly.

I guess this is your way of bragging? "Us rich folks are immoral and don't give a f*ck about anyone or anything but ourselves!"

paulpfiction
11-05-2007, 10:44 PM

nice car!

i usually let my car warm up for 30-45 minutes everyday in the winter here

then i cruise over snow drifts to get to the liquor store!

bigkarl
11-06-2007, 03:49 AM
They are OK ideas but instead of motorcycles, you should opt for zero pollution methods such as WALKING.

so my father should walk 37 miles to work? what if i wanted to go on a vacation? should i walk to europe?

do you drive?

kalagan
11-06-2007, 04:20 AM
We all know that bush doesn't give a fuk about environment.

USA is one of the countries who is destroying the earth. Way more than Europe.

paulpfiction
11-06-2007, 04:36 AM

shut up manlet

nobody wants to hear your antibush jibberish...

kalagan
11-06-2007, 04:38 AM
shut up manlet

You never signed the Kyoto protocol..

AKR
11-06-2007, 04:38 AM
shut up manlet

yeah, we do.

paulpfiction
11-06-2007, 04:54 AM
yeah, we do.

well we all know you do

ElMariachi
11-06-2007, 05:18 AM

The best post in this thread by far.

ElMariachi
11-06-2007, 05:21 AM
You never signed the Kyoto protocol..

Who gives a flying f%^k? The Kyoto Protocol accomplishes nothing other than using socialist mechanisms to put all countries on the same level economically.

Neither China nor India are involved in the Kyoto protocol, even moreso, basically none of the countries involved in it, have decreased their pollution levels, most have increased greatly, even to a greater percentage than the US has. Kyoto is one big giant failure, which is why Clinton kept the treaty locked up in his desk, because there is no way in hell that Congress was going to ratify it.

The Kyoto Protocol was a 1997 pact to reduce emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, or otherwise reduce these gases in the atmosphere. Environmentalists and many scientists say gas-induced warming is already causing a cornucopia of ills including – most recently – polar bears drowning because of melting Arctic ice.

Over 150 nations have now ratified the treaty, but the US became a pariah for refusing to do so as did President Bush by abandoning it altogether.

Turns out, though, there’s little distinction between those who ratified and those who didn’t. Of the original 15 European Union ratifiers of Kyoto, at best four are on course to meet the treaty’s target of an 8% reduction in greenhouse emissions by 2008-2012 from the 1990 base-year level.

“The truth is, no country is going to cut its growth or consumption substantially in the light of a long-term environmental problem,” UK Prime Minister Tony Blair admitted in September.

But this becomes less disappointing once you learn Kyoto’s dirty little secret. Even supporters concede that if all countries complied the amount of warming prevented by 2100 would be at most 0.2 degrees Fahrenheit, except that 0.2 degrees is unmeasurable. Certainly it won’t save a single polar bear.

Kyoto’s real purpose was to lead to stricter standards later on, such as at the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Montreal this month. But conferees were forced to go home with little more than an agreement to negotiate some more, for essentially the reason Blair gave. It’s silly to plan a Mars landing when your rocket can’t get off the launching pad.

Of course, Europe could continue setting goals and failing to meet them; but the EU is becoming irrelevant anyway. “By 2010, the net reduction in global emissions from Europe meeting the Kyoto Protocol will be only 0.1%,” said Margo Thorning, senior vice president for the free-market American Council for Capital Formation, in recent congressional testimony. That’s “because all the growth is coming in places like India, China and Brazil.”

And bizarrely, while these countries have ratified the treaty they are exempt from its requirements because until fairly recently they weren’t major greenhouse gas producers.

“We need to focus on things like the [Asia Pacific Partnership on Clean Development and Climate], which are driven by long-term strategies to reduce emissions and boost growth,” says Thorning. This is a US-signed pact allowing participants to set goals for reducing emissions individually, but with no enforcement mechanism.

Eileen Claussen, president of the Pew Center on Global Climate Change and a former US climate negotiator in the Clinton administration, says it can’t work. “If you really want results, you have to do something that's mandatory,” she told reporters. Right. That’s why those 11 EU nations are falling out of compliance.

That’s also why Kyoto signatory Canada is producing 24% more carbon dioxide than in 1990 while the US is producing only 13% more. None of which prevented Canada’s Prime Minister Paul Martin from emitting a noxious gaseous emission accusing his southern neighbor of lacking “a global conscience.”

Ultimately Kyoto has no more “teeth” than any voluntary agreement – yet another explanation for why it’s being violated willy-nilly. “It is not that we should take these targets too literally,” as Italy’s economic minister put it.

So if nations refuse to agree to real sanctions, we must offer them constructive approaches that emphasize maximum gain with minimum pain. That’s the purpose of the first meeting of the Asia Pacific Partnership in January, at which innovation and technology will take center stage rather than top-down governmental controls.

The conference should call for ramped-up production of nuclear power plants that produce no air emissions of any kind except for steam. It will also probably advocate carbon sequestration, various artificial and natural processes for removing carbon from the biosphere.

But Kyoto? Ah, we hardly knew ye! Not that the effort’s been a total waste. It’s taught us that massive international undertakings require just a bit more than making sanctimonious speeches and signing a sheet of paper.

goody1
11-06-2007, 09:16 AM

Why don't you check into China and India.
Kill all the cows since they are responsible for over 40% of all green house gases. You can't do that because we love all animals. Put up wind turbines. Well now we are killing the birds that unknowingly fly into the path of one of the blades. Lets use ethynol. Well now the prices of food are going up do to all of the corn going to the ethynol instead of food products. Not to mention that it takes 4 gallons of water to create one gallon of ethynol which is a third as efficient as gas.. Not to mention all of the fertilizer runoff killing off life in lakes and rivers. I'm detecting a pattern

JUSA
11-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Kyoto... LOL... typical do-nothing knee-jerk reactionary response. Anyone with half a brain who has done anything to inform themselves on that one know it's worthless.

jmonty
11-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Why don't you check into China and India.

some article i read a few weeks ago said that india is way more energy efficient than the US. i'll have to look that up again...

kalagan
11-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Kyoto... LOL... typical do-nothing knee-jerk reactionary response. Anyone with half a brain who has done anything to inform themselves on that one know it's worthless.

It works in Europe you douchebag. Doesn't work in the US becasuse most of you don't give a fuk about it. Yu just want big cars and tons of oil. I remeber when Bush (or someone else of the America gov said "KYOTO ? Ahahahahha !! We don't care we need money and oil".

Bunch of *****.

jmonty
11-06-2007, 09:28 AM
It works in Europe you douchebag. Doesn't work in the US becasuse most of you don't give a fuk about it. Yu just want big cars and tons of oil. I remeber when Bush (or someone else of the America gov said "KYOTO ? Ahahahahha !! We don't care we need money and oil".

Bunch of *****.

is that a good enough reason to neg someone? :p

AMERICAZHUSTLA
11-06-2007, 09:32 AM
I guess this is your way of bragging? "Us rich folks are immoral and don't give a f*ck about anyone or anything but ourselves!"

im not rich one theres a lot of rich people who donate a lot of money to helping the environment, i just work very hard and like nice things and just because i drive a nice truck doesnt mean im saying **** you to everyone else. but since your title says trailer park princess i can see why you would be mad that thus far you have failed in life and others younger than you are succeeding. i would be mad as **** to and making up excuses like people who have big cars are *******s if my home was a trailer and i had to catch the bus everyday

JUSA
11-06-2007, 09:39 AM
is that a good enough reason to neg someone? :p Yes.

but since your title says trailer park princess i can see why you would be mad that thus far you have failed in life and others younger than you are succeeding. Ouch-a-roonie!

Rambo26
11-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Cutler has a hummer :D

But are they not a good idea for someone who wants a safer car, lives in a remote area or has a bad back etc

ElMariachi
11-06-2007, 09:45 AM

Bunch of *****.

How the hell does it work in Europe? Most countries that signed on for it are not even close to being in compliance with the Kyoto protocols. I swear, you are dumber than I first thought. Go back to stalking women on the forums and stay out of the R&P.

IraHays
11-06-2007, 09:58 AM
How the hell does it work in Europe? Most countries that signed on for it are not even close to being in compliance with the Kyoto protocols. I swear, you are dumber than I first thought. Go back to stalking women on the forums and stay out of the R&P.

lol, for real. I don't know where he get's this ****.

goody1
11-06-2007, 10:05 AM

Bunch of *****.

Ahhhh yes, name calling. The last act of a desperate man. Why don't you give me some proof that it's working in Europe. Oh yeah also why don't you get me the name of whoever said that quote. My guess is that you're making it up

ElMariachi
11-06-2007, 10:21 AM
This is what I compare Kyoto to.

One day, a large group of druggies gets together, and they make a solemn pact not to do drugs anymore. Most of them agree to sign their names onto a piece of paper, vowing that they will no longer take drugs, and not only that, they will prevent others from using them as well. Some members of the group refuse to sign the sheet on principle, saying that it will not enforce any changes in the overall drug-abuse of the group as a whole. The two or three biggest junkies also refrain from signing, saying that a lack of drugs would be damaging to their personal lives.

Overtime, all the members of the group continue using drugs, the only difference is that the folks who didn't sign, go into rehab/try therapy and various other techniques to get their drug problem under control. The folks who signed the "drug-free" document, are even bigger junkies than ever before and now spend a good amount of their time, condemning the folks who didn't sign the document as "HORRIBLE JUNKIES........people who have no control over their own lives."

Basically, it's a lot of hypocrisy and idiotic belligerence that signifies nothing. That is what Kyoto is all about, painting an ugly building a pretty color to disguise the fact that it is breaking down, deteriorating incredibly. In the military, we called stunts like this "eyewash."

JUSA
11-06-2007, 10:26 AM
In the military, we called stunts like this "eyewash." It's amazing how effective these tactics are on the unintelligent, why this thread alone shows that.

jeffix
11-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Why drive an SUV? Because the lives of my family members are important. Would I rather put my wife & kids into a Ford Escort, or an F350? With all the nutjob drivers on the highway, my family gets the extra protection. Their lives are much more important to me than living up to some _Consensus_ that the earth is getting warmer.

Oh, and I love big trucks, there's that too.

So go eat your veggie pita's, grow your hair into unwashed dredlocks, and when I drive up to the window in my 11mpg truck, shut up and hand over the burger.

Lloyd Braun
11-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Why drive an SUV? Because the lives of my family members are important. Would I rather put my wife & kids into a Ford Escort, or an F350? With all the nutjob drivers on the highway, my family gets the extra protection. Their lives are much more important to me than living up to some _Consensus_ that the earth is getting warmer.

Interestingly enough, this is contributing to the problem. The very fact that one chooses a vehicle in order to accomplish the objective of keeping one's loved ones safer (while simultaneously putting other drivers at risk by being in such a large vehicle) may very well contribute to a condition which puts your loved ones at risk further down the line. In other words, sacrificing long term safety for short term safety.

So go eat your veggie pita's, grow your hair into unwashed dredlocks, and when I drive up to the window in my 11mpg truck, shut up and hand over the burger.

If you are unable to formulate a congent and well-thought argument without resorting to ad hominems, I'd suggest staying out of the intellectual playground.

AKR
11-06-2007, 05:14 PM
im not rich one theres a lot of rich people who donate a lot of money to helping the environment, i just work very hard and like nice things and just because i drive a nice truck doesnt mean im saying **** you to everyone else. but since your title says trailer park princess i can see why you would be mad that thus far you have failed in life and others younger than you are succeeding. i would be mad as **** to and making up excuses like people who have big cars are *******s if my home was a trailer and i had to catch the bus everyday

actually, her title is just a joke because another member called her that. we both are about to move into our new house. but she does WORK with trailor trash, in her profession.

AKR
11-06-2007, 05:17 PM

Oh, and I love big trucks, there's that too.

you're not very smart if you think pollution is harmless if it doesn't affect global warming. your family will still suffer.

wow, strong stereotyping.

AKR
11-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Interestingly enough, this is contributing to the problem. The very fact that one chooses a vehicle in order to accomplish the objective of keeping one's loved ones safer (while simultaneously putting other drivers at risk by being in such a large vehicle) may very well contribute to a condition which puts your loved ones at risk further down the line. In other words, sacrificing long term safety for short term safety.

exactly. pretty soon, we'll be driving real tanks down the road, because everyone wants bigger and bigger vehicles.

btw, i laugh when people talk about buying an suv to keep their family safe. what's the rollover rate on those things, again?

oh hai, look, what's that off in the distance. is it a bird? is it a plane? no, no. it's f*ckin' reality!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/rollover/unsafe/theme.html

It's a myth that SUVs are safer than cars. People in SUVs die just as often as people in cars; they just die differently. They are more likely to die in rollovers, and they are much more likely to kill other people. ...

Even the largest sport utility vehicles don't really make you appreciably more safe than you would be in a large car or minivan, and you will get much better gas mileage [in a car or minivan], you will produce a tiny amount of the air pollution, and you will not be putting your neighbors at an enormous risk. ...

LunicaAshes
11-06-2007, 07:04 PM

Hey, I've got an awesome job, a college education, a mortgage-free home that is nearly move-in ready, my car is nearly paid off... let's see, what else?

I never complained about being unable to afford big vehicles. I'll take an eco-friendly, two story home on an acre of land in the middle of a forest over a planet raping hummer any day. Thanks though :)

BTW, if I were trailer trash, I probably wouldn't actually put it in my title. There are such a thing as jokes around here.

JUSA
11-07-2007, 08:25 AM
btw, i laugh when people talk about buying an suv to keep their family safe. what's the rollover rate on those things, again?

oh hai, look, what's that off in the distance. is it a bird? is it a plane? no, no. it's f*ckin' reality!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/rollover/unsafe/theme.html in honor of you akr, i will not use my shift or caps key as i type this message.

btw, i have to laugh when eco-fanatics make broad, generalized statements about suvs, painting them all with the same brush. what kind of dope says because *some* suvs are prone to rollover that therefore nobody should by *any* suv?

lol lol lol, i have to lol once more!

of course, anyone with half a brain who isn't a eco-nut realizes that while some suvs are prone to rollover, many are not and are in fact quite safe in that regard. again: lol i say, lol!

speaking of the hummer, it's actually very unlikely to rollover... again, lol! here listen to this... (which i cut from another site, so if the poster actually didn't type like a third grader and used the shift and/or capslock key - it wasn't me!!! honest!)

Hummers are- whatever else they may lack- incredibly unlikely to roll over. There are a few reasons why.

First, weight. The same thing that makes Hummers inefficient makes them safe. The H3 (5,000 pounds), H2 (8,000 pounds), and H1 (10,000 pounds) are all behemoths. For comparison, the average monster truck weighs less than an H1; a passenger car normally weighs no more than 3,000 lbs. Heavier objects are far less likely to roll over than lighter ones, and the fact that Hummers are comparatively heavier than almost any other vehicle compounds this fact.

Second, vehicle width. The same thing that makes Hummers hog parking spots makes them very unlikely to roll over. How unlikely? Go to the Hummer website; the monsters can take obscene angles before they roll, far more than any other production vehicle.

Look, there are many reasons for someone to dislike a Hummer. Rollover safety is not one of them. If you want to talk about rollover issues, the fact of the matter is that the most efficient SUVs- those based on cars like the Honda CRV and Cadillac SRX- are the most likely to roll, while the monstrous truck-based ones are least- and in some cases (as in Hummers and a few other giant SUVs) the SUVs are less likely to roll than cars.

LunicaAshes
11-07-2007, 12:31 PM
in honor of you akr, i will not use my shift or caps key as i type this message.

btw, i have to laugh when eco-fanatics make broad, generalized statements about suvs, painting them all with the same brush. what kind of dope says because *some* suvs are prone to rollover that therefore nobody should by *any* suv?

lol lol lol, i have to lol once more!

of course, anyone with half a brain who isn't a eco-nut realizes that while some suvs are prone to rollover, many are not and are in fact quite safe in that regard. again: lol i say, lol!

speaking of the hummer, it's actually very unlikely to rollover... again, lol! here listen to this... (which i cut from another site, so if the poster actually didn't type like a third grader and used the shift and/or capslock key - it wasn't me!!! honest!)

But there are more eco-friendly vehicles that are safe, as stated in that article, making the "I must has SUV fer Teh Safteez of muh kidz" argument null.

What's really worse for a person's children - a vehicle that does not handle like a tank in an accident, or an evironment so screwed over that they will have to be the ones cleaning up the parents' ignorance and egoism when they grow up?

goody1
11-07-2007, 12:36 PM

Bunch of *****.

I asked for proof a few days ago and you have yet to respond. Is that maybe because there is no proof? I also asked for the source of the so called comment that you are referring to. My guess is that you are pulling most of this out of your ass

bamatank
11-07-2007, 01:10 PM
I will admit that, even though I do what I can for the environment and have a lot of respect for the environment, i do drive a truck. It's not an SUV. it's a Tundra (a half ton pickup). I have modified the exhaust and intake so I do get better milage than stock. However, I use the truck to haul lumber, rock, mulch, plants, etc. But my wife drives a Corolla (one of the top 10 most efficient vehicles on the road). I have replaced all the incandescent bulbs in the house with CFLs, I grow a as much of my own food as I can, and I do various other things. So don't be too quick to judge someone in a truck.

That being said I don't see the value of the civillian HMMWVs outside of showing off.

JUSA
11-07-2007, 01:20 PM
But there are more eco-friendly vehicles that are safe, as stated in that article, making the "I must has SUV fer Teh Safteez of muh kidz" argument null. I don't think anyone said, "I must drive an SUV because they are the ONLY safe vehicle". Did they?

AKR was mocking me saying my idea that I might drive a SUV for the safety-factor was irrelevant because all SUVs were more likely to roll and were all no safer than the average car because of this roll factor.

So, essentially he's once again very, very wrong and I'm sure as usual he will ignore the issue or try and change the subject.

Speaking of changing the subject: I'll again point out that nobody said there were not eco-friendly safe cars. But are there eco-friendly safe cars that also can seat 6 or more? Will they be able to help me move around lots of stuff, which I have to do frequently? Are they suitable for me on all the other factors I pick a car besides safety?

What's really worse for a person's children - a vehicle that does not handle like a tank in an accident, or an evironment so screwed over that they will have to be the ones cleaning up the parents' ignorance and egoism when they grow up? You and I disagree on the gravity of the situation. SUV driving isn't the difference between an Eden-like wonder land super environment and a Hell on Earth (I used the Biblical references just for you, Sheduma).

Don't get me wrong: while I think man's influence on global warming has not been shown with great certainty, I don't like smoggy air or eating fish that are mercury-laden.

I just don't think it's reasonable to expect people to sacrifice to the level some eco-fanatics demand. I also believe in choice and feel I am free to drive the car I want (as it stands, my next car will probably be one that runs on Ethanol, since the environment is somewhat important to me).

What I don't like is people like some of the guys in this thread who think everyone should walk or ride bikes or want to justify criminal vandalism against people because they're mad that they drive a Hummer.

Calhexas
11-07-2007, 03:08 PM
...one of these?

Discuss.

What are they saying?

"I like this car. I have the money for it. I'm going to drive it."

Perhaps that could be an answer.

frankenstein
11-07-2007, 03:33 PM
What are they saying?

"I like this car. I have the money for it. I'm going to drive it."

Perhaps that could be an answer.

You'd be surprised how many people out there have $800/month car payments but like $300 house (subsidized) payments.

Personally, I've never liked driving enormous cars. Small sporty cars you can zip around and turn on a dime. Parking is easy too. I miss my old stickshift sport coupe.
You guys driving Tahoes, Titans, F-150s, etc are gonna hate it when gas is $4 in 2009 and hate it even more at $5 in 2010-2011. At the very least get a crossover. Look into diesels when they start really hitting our shores in 2 years.

Calhexas
11-07-2007, 03:36 PM
You'd be surprised how many people out there have $800/month car payments but like $300 house (subsidized) payments.

Personally, I've never liked driving enormous cars. Small sporty cars you can zip around and turn on a dime. Parking is easy too. I miss my old stickshift sport coupe.
You guys driving Tahoes, Titans, F-150s, etc are gonna hate it when gas is $4 in 2009 and hate it even more at $5 in 2010-2011. At the very least get a crossover. Look into diesels when they start really hitting our shores in 2 years.

I've driven an Explorer, a Tahoe, and currently an Accord.

I used to drive SUV's because I always had people riding with me...but without need for all that space I decided to give up the SUV for something smaller.

I like all the cars I've owned, and never felt one bit guilty about the SUV's. They have a purpose, and while some people drive them just to feel good about themselves...there are indeed people who drive them because the space and power is needed.

Jus sayin.

frankenstein
11-07-2007, 03:45 PM
I've driven an Explorer, a Tahoe, and currently an Accord.

I used to drive SUV's because I always had people riding with me...but without need for all that space I decided to give up the SUV for something smaller.

I like all the cars I've owned, and never felt one bit guilty about the SUV's. They have a purpose, and while some people drive them just to feel good about themselves...there are indeed people who drive them because the space and power is needed.

Jus sayin.

You don't need to convince me. I personally have never been a huge fan of SUVs. They can come in handy for sure. Accords are great cars. The newest model is sporty looking yet more roomy.

I'm not criticizing the choice to drive an SUV in itself. I'm just saying it's not a wise long term choice given that oil is nearly $100/barrel. The price of gas has not caught up to that reality either. Even if oil were at $96 for a few months straight, gas prices will still be going up another 15-20 cents.

If gas was still under $1 and I didn't drive 35000 miles a year, I'd probably have something like an X5.

Lloyd Braun
11-07-2007, 03:51 PM
I'm not criticizing the choice to drive an SUV in itself. I'm just saying it's not a wise long term choice given that oil is nearly $100/barrel. The price of gas has not caught up to that reality either. Even if oil were at $96 for a few months straight, gas prices will still be going up another 15-20 cents.

I think that (the price of gas) is going to be what drives consumers to demand more fuel-efficient vehicles, not environmental concerns in the end. I think, and as this thread has demonstrated, that alot of people really don't care about an issue unless it hits their wallet.

JUSA
11-07-2007, 04:07 PM

You guys driving Tahoes, Titans, F-150s, etc are gonna hate it when gas is $4 in 2009 and hate it even more at $5 in 2010-2011. At the very least get a crossover. Look into diesels when they start really hitting our shores in 2 years. I'm the opposite. I had one of those little BMW Z3s from 2000-2003 and while it was a fun little car, it was just so small I felt like it was a coffin with wheels. You're right about gas prices, though. Small cars are going to start being more common - maybe even here in Texas.