PDA

View Full Version : Eating for sport

Mike Dawson
11-05-2007, 03:10 AM
Hey all,

Im new to the forum and was wondering if anyone has any good nutritional advice for the few days before competing in sport and directly after?

Any/all advice welcome.

Jamesstout
11-05-2007, 03:13 AM
yes mike i can help what is your sport?

Mike Dawson
11-05-2007, 03:16 AM
Thanks alot. My sport is rugby

Captain Sagara
11-05-2007, 03:20 AM
When i played basketball on my hometown team i used to go really heavy on calories and carbs because i was burning a lot...

Jamesstout
11-05-2007, 03:21 AM
right and ar eyou looking to add mass, loose weight or maintain performance?
you should stick to a basic healthy diet which i can link you to on here and then your nutrition around the training bout will depend on what it is. pre/post weights look at the sticky, pre/ post rugby i would reccomend a good lot of fast carbs before a game i.e. some jaffas or maybe an energy drink. After the game iw ould say a milkshake would be optimal. Or you can get more technical as per the pre/post workout thread.

Mike Dawson
11-05-2007, 03:32 AM
Im looking at maintaining performance, so im still going in the last 10-20 minutes of a game.
Any help along these lines would be appreciated.

Jamesstout
11-05-2007, 07:57 AM
ok what are you taking in at half time? What position do you play?

Mike Dawson
11-05-2007, 08:07 AM
I play scrum half. Half time is liquid based only. Dont think i would be able to keep anything solid down. Lucozade sport is the option at the minute. But that is because the team provide them for everyone at half time.

Jamesstout
11-05-2007, 08:22 AM
ok juat checking your not a fat lard arse in the front row who isn't very fit!

i'd take on some lucosade at half time and at any opportunity during the game, better yet mix up an energy drink yourslef, try somethign with caffinne such as maximuscle viper or high 5 xtreme. DO you eat well beforehand?

Mike Dawson
11-05-2007, 08:48 AM
lol. No nothing to worry about there!!

I tend to eat oats the morning of a game for breakfast and then about two hours before kick off i'll have a small portion of chicken breast, usually in a wrap.

BlueFenix13S
11-05-2007, 08:51 AM
I say more carbs in your pre-game meal. Instead of a wrap, have it with a sweet potato, pasta, or rice. I used to ply football, and I know if I didn't have a good dose of carbs before the game I'd tank about 1/2 way through the 3rd quarter, even while sipping on Gatorade.

Mike Dawson
11-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Thanks for that. Thats the problem im having at the minute. Im feeling good untill about the 60 minute mark then im spending the last 20 min really having to dig deep.

tinyman5000
11-05-2007, 09:02 AM
beans are one of the slowest digesting things, so is milk/cottage cheese. Probably don't want a great deal of milk before a game. I don't play competitive rugby i just play in a club sport and i eat a hamburger and milk

The Solution
11-05-2007, 09:15 AM
Thanks alot. My sport is rugby

being a rugby player ur going to want to get a good dose of carbs in ur diet i would suggest at least 40% if not 50% because of the energy you are going to expend at practice and during games

keep ur protein farily high at .. at leat 1g per lb of body mass.. to keep a good positive nitrogen balance spaced out throughout each meal and to keep good muscle mass on you

also i would suggest at least 15-20% of ur diet from fats..

so depending on ur carb intake.. the rest is really up to you and preference on what you think will go best for you and feel most comofrtable with

as for before games and after.. make sure u take in a good amnt of carbs before/after.. before the game i would try to eat a good 2 hours before..and load up on carbs such as WW pasta or brown rice.. as for goes after the game.. i would also suggest maybe a banana to help u prevent from cramping up.. protein is ur choice... whey, chicken, tuna, turkey

Mike Dawson
11-05-2007, 09:16 AM
I have cottage cheese as an evening snack to keep my metabolism ticking over during the night. I find that works well for me. Milk pregame would be a big no for me before a game. Wouldnt see me keeping that down at all.
I take it you mean home hamburger and chips and not the Mcdonalds variety.

Mike Dawson
11-05-2007, 09:19 AM
being a rugby player ur going to want to get a good dose of carbs in ur diet i would suggest at least 40% if not 50% because of the energy you are going to expend at practice and during games

keep ur protein farily high at .. at leat 1g per lb of body mass.. to keep a good positive nitrogen balance spaced out throughout each meal and to keep good muscle mass on you

also i would suggest at least 15-20% of ur diet from fats..

so depending on ur carb intake.. the rest is really up to you and preference on what you think will go best for you and feel most comofrtable with

as for before games and after.. make sure u take in a good amnt of carbs before/after.. before the game i would try to eat a good 2 hours before..and load up on carbs such as WW pasta or brown rice.. as for goes after the game.. i would also suggest maybe a banana to help u prevent from cramping up.. protein is ur choice... whey, chicken, tuna, turkey

Cheers for this info. That is seriously helpful!!!

Do you know of a substitute for bananas? Im not a massive banana fan.

tinyman5000
11-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Cheers for this info. That is seriously helpful!!!

Do you know of a substitute for bananas? Im not a massive banana fan.

for potassium? Spinach has a ton of potassium, acorn squash does, and milk does.

Jamesstout
11-05-2007, 04:17 PM
potassium is in sports drinks, i wouldnt mess about with ww psts etc brefore s mstch have white and have a good portion about 3 hours before, have you tried energy gels?

Mike Dawson
11-06-2007, 01:09 AM
No i havent tried energy gels. Are they any good? Which ones do you recommend?

Jamesstout
11-06-2007, 01:16 AM
hmm iw ouldn't do powergel its like spunk!
i'm sponsored buy and use high 5 but i do like them although the new torq gels look better and torq stuff is tastier imho. SIS gels are also amongst the best

there is a uk website i can pm you if you cant find them near you

Mike Dawson
11-06-2007, 01:26 AM
I'll stay away from that powergel then!! lol

Yeah if you could pm me that info that would be great. Is gel something you would look to take at half time?

Jamesstout
11-06-2007, 01:44 AM
yeah indeed and maybe another if i was flagging at the end. pm being sent now

The Solution
11-06-2007, 02:22 AM
I'll stay away from that powergel then!! lol

Yeah if you could pm me that info that would be great. Is gel something you would look to take at half time?

maybe at halftime.. consider drinknig a quick protein shake in water and maybe munchin on some kind of quick carb source that will go down.. or consider putting a carb solute substance in ur drink to give u a quick energy burst such as WMS(waxy maize starch) to give u a quick hit of carbs that will just get in ur body asap along with whey

Jamesstout
11-06-2007, 02:25 AM
what would the function of protein be?

Mike Dawson
11-07-2007, 06:08 AM
I dont think actually eating something at half time would work for me. If anything i think liquid based is the best way to go. With regards to the protein shake idea, would it have long enough to get into my system to have any effect?

Shaggytph
11-07-2007, 06:24 AM
what would the function of protein be?

to prevent any possible catabolism

Jamesstout
11-07-2007, 07:23 AM
to prevent any possible catabolism

explain why you'd get catabolic after 40 mins of exercise especially when carbs are ingested

tinyman5000
11-07-2007, 08:00 AM
explain why you'd get catabolic after 40 mins of exercise especially when carbs are ingested

lol maybe 4 hours into a marathon catabolism would occur. Even then you only need 4:1 carb/protein drink

Aindreas
11-07-2007, 11:01 AM
lol maybe 4 hours into a marathon catabolism would occur. Even then you only need 4:1 carb/protein drink

Lol, some people suck at marathons. :p

But fortunately, such a drink exists. Who would've thought?

Shaggytph
11-07-2007, 11:06 AM

i didn't say it was completely necessary. but it's more than just exercise, he is exerting lots of energy and such playing rugby im assuming. it was just a thought, no need to get pissy :D

Lector606
11-07-2007, 11:28 AM
In my experience protein won't do jack **** during, just stick to simple carbs. oranges or orange juice are great because they've got simple carbs and potassium, or you could try the gels like jamesstout suggested, some of them are O.K. (although i agree powergel is nasty, and a lot of the other gels just taste like straight icing sugar to me). pedialyte is great for electrolytes too.

The Solution
11-07-2007, 12:25 PM
In my experience protein won't do jack **** during, just stick to simple carbs. oranges or orange juice are great because they've got simple carbs and potassium, or you could try the gels like jamesstout suggested, some of them are O.K. (although i agree powergel is nasty, and a lot of the other gels just taste like straight icing sugar to me). pedialyte is great for electrolytes too.

protein has done me well @ halftime during football games i would sip on a whey shake and have a gatorade ( protein + simple carbs) that really helped me reful and keep me going throughout the 2nd half especially playing both sides of the ball and rarely coming off the field so it was good to replenish at halftime when i could to keep me going

but in all reality everyone's body reacts differently and everyones formula to rejuvenate their bodies are going to be different..

i would give jame's idea a chance.. he is a cyclist and he would know best how to refuel a body.

Rodzilla
11-07-2007, 12:54 PM
protein has done me well @ halftime during football games i would sip on a whey shake and have a gatorade ( protein + simple carbs) that really helped me reful and keep me going throughout the 2nd half especially playing both sides of the ball and rarely coming off the field so it was good to replenish at halftime when i could to keep me going

but in all reality everyone's body reacts differently and everyones formula to rejuvenate their bodies are going to be different..

i would give jame's idea a chance.. he is a cyclist and he would know best how to refuel a body.

the whey would be too heavy, If anything have some free form BCAA's with your carb/electrolyte drink.

Jamesstout
11-07-2007, 01:05 PM
i think that rugby involves more running than football (american) i font play any football but my dad was a pro rugby player. whey wouldn't sit so well w/rugby. Honey stinger gels are nice.

as for the 4:1 yes high5 make it in berry flavour very nice

Rodzilla
11-07-2007, 01:06 PM

what sport do you play?

tinyman5000
11-07-2007, 02:47 PM
i think that rugby involves more running than football (american) i font play any football but my dad was a pro rugby player. whey wouldn't sit so well w/rugby. Honey stinger gels are nice.

as for the 4:1 yes high5 make it in berry flavour very nice

You're right. While playing rugby you are on the field longer, more battering/less sprinting, football is all explosiveness and sprints, power.

Mike Dawson
11-08-2007, 12:50 AM
I think for me in my position its even more important as i play scrum half so im required to constantly keep up with play. Something i could drink at half time and/or sip during stoppages would be ideal. The gel idea is something im going to definatly go with as it seems like a quick and easy way to get a boost.

Jamesstout
11-08-2007, 01:02 AM
let me know how you get on with it!

Mike Dawson
11-08-2007, 01:17 AM
Yeah will do. Cheers James

matthor
11-08-2007, 01:20 AM
yea no whey at half time, that wouldnt be pleasant. I play soccer and just do a carb mix + bcaa's if i have them, but just carbs )gatorade powder) is fine. Im playing 90minutes in the midfeild so a lot of running there