PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on meals per day?

depo12
11-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Was reading an article on bb.com and came across this...just wanted to see some thoughts (agree/disagree) on this idea...

Eating every three hours is a good idea too, although most definitely NOT a requirement for weight loss. The whole notion that eating frequently will help to speed your metabolism is incorrect. If you eat every few hours you are going to be eating smaller meals each time than if you had just eaten two or three times (assuming total calorie intake stays constant).

The amount your metabolism rises after a meal is going to be in direct relation to the amount of food taken in (again assuming macronutrient ratio's stay the same), therefore larger meals will create a larger increase in metabolism than smaller ones. At the end of the day, small rises or large rises will all equal each other out.

source:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=13

oaks
11-03-2007, 06:52 AM
agreed. Your metabolism doesnt magically "speed up" through smaller meals. the idea behind smaller meals, from what i understand, is that people say it keeps your insluin levels stable throughout the day (less drastic spikes).

weight loss, however, comes down to calories in vs calories out so if you burn more than you take it, you lose weight. There is no other way around it. Therefore id agree that meal frequency is irrelavent, what matters is the amount of calories you are taking in. I have recently experienced this, cutting back from 6 meals to 4 per day, and havent noticed any difference whatsoever. And, to look at another source of people, look at those who are doing IF...many of those people love it, and are in great shape. they take in fewer, larger cal. meals, rather than a bunch of smaller calorie meals.

LiL USMC BBer
11-03-2007, 06:55 AM
That's correct about keeping insulin levels stable throughout the day.

THe main idea behind eating small frequent meals is to keep the muscles constantly nourished. Not starving for 5-6 hours between your 3 meals a day.

Also do you really think you'll be able to get your protein intake in, using only 3 meals? and your carbs/fats.

I mean **** I'd probably be full before I finish the meal! So we split it up. Besides I don't know about ya'll but I usually look forward to eating again :)

BlueFenix13S
11-03-2007, 07:13 AM
Eating more frequently helps regulate hunger so you are less likely to gorge later in the day. I find myself eating 4 or 5 times a day depending on if I workout or not.

ripped_holla
11-03-2007, 09:06 AM
Another plus to more frequent feedings is that your next meal is always right around the corner, meaning you're less tempted to snack on junk.

And it is hard to take down 2500-3000 calories per day split into 3 meals.

oaks
11-03-2007, 09:35 AM
im not saying that smaller, more frequent meals is bad, im just commenting on the point of the article, which is, when it comes to weight loss, its not determined by the amount of meals you take in, its the overall caloric intake that counts.....

i agree with the benefits that the above poster have stated, however, those being: that it does help curb appetite, and keep a constant flow of nutrients to the muscles.......im just saying that its not for everyone...i know people who only do the breaky, lunch, pwo shake, and supper, and are ripped to the extreme...and like i said before, there are those who do IF, which entails a 16hr fast period, followed by a few large meals in the other 8hrs of the day/

The Solution
11-03-2007, 09:40 AM
That's correct about keeping insulin levels stable throughout the day.

THe main idea behind eating small frequent meals is to keep the muscles constantly nourished. Not starving for 5-6 hours between your 3 meals a day.

Also do you really think you'll be able to get your protein intake in, using only 3 meals? and your carbs/fats.

I mean **** I'd probably be full before I finish the meal! So we split it up. Besides I don't know about ya'll but I usually look forward to eating again :)

you could get in all ur pro/carbs/fats from those meals but eating smaller meals throughout the day helps with fat loss and helps the body metabolise what u take in at those meals .. instead of heaping ur body with ****loads of food that wont all be digested leading to more fat storage and higher BF %

i like the smaller meals it helps during college for me

depo12
11-03-2007, 03:31 PM
cool..thanks for the input...i just like more frequent meals b/c when i eat less frequent, larger meals, then i get more full (obviously) and i don't like feeling too full or anything....i'd rather just be content :)

Oddball8945
11-03-2007, 05:43 PM

no pun intended but

breakfast at Dunkin Donuts- 1 Pumpkin Muffin + 1 Latee with cream & sugar 1000 calories

Lunch- Mcdonalds 1 Dbl cheese Burger, 1 Large Fry + 1 Coke- 1000+ calories

Dinner-Spaghetti & Meatballs with sauce & Cheese- 1500 calories

Easy & typical diet with breakfast , lunch, dinner = 3500 calories.

and we arent even factoring in snacking.

PatMac
11-03-2007, 05:47 PM

I take in 5500-6000 in 3 pretty easily

getgot211
11-03-2007, 05:51 PM
so we push aside old bull**** for new?

Spottydog
11-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Eating more frequently helps regulate hunger so you are less likely to gorge later in the day. I find myself eating 4 or 5 times a day depending on if I workout or not.
Me too, though it's like 6-8 times, just because I am a snacker at heart...

The Solution
11-03-2007, 06:27 PM
no pun intended but

breakfast at Dunkin Donuts- 1 Pumpkin Muffin + 1 Latee with cream & sugar 1000 calories

you got that rite.. funny thing is.. thats pretty close to my dad's actual diet.. except breakfast is at Burger King.. Dinner is at home like u have.. and then treat is dairy queen...

and he wonders y he can rub his belly and i dont have one.. dumbass lazy ass dad.. hell i make more an hr then his ass does and hes 52 and graduated from college...

Oddball8945
11-03-2007, 06:48 PM
you got that rite.. funny thing is.. thats pretty close to my dad's actual diet.. except breakfast is at Burger King.. Dinner is at home like u have.. and then treat is dairy queen...

and he wonders y he can rub his belly and i dont have one.. dumbass lazy ass dad.. hell i make more an hr then his ass does and hes 52 and graduated from college...

yea & the funny thing is, the pumpkin muffin @ dunkin donuts packs 620 calories and its an ity bity muffin. People usually get that as a dessert to a breakfast.

I planned to try the pumpkin muffin wensday, i was like wtf thats it its so small like a snack.....i mean it was good but not 620 calories out of my day good. I could have made a nice healthy plate of spaghetti & some homemade lean meatballs & sauce for around 620 calories.

The Solution
11-03-2007, 07:42 PM
yea & the funny thing is, the pumpkin muffin @ dunkin donuts packs 620 calories and its an ity bity muffin. People usually get that as a dessert to a breakfast.

I planned to try the pumpkin muffin wensday, i was like wtf thats it its so small like a snack.....i mean it was good but not 620 calories out of my day good. I could have made a nice healthy plate of spaghetti & some homemade lean meatballs & sauce for around 620 calories.

yeah no **** right... i could of enjoyed 2 bowls of ur oats and been stuffed instead of eating 3 bites of a muffin...

its amazing how cleaner foods can be more satisfying and filling then that junk they make at fast food resturants.. or takout shops..

ripped_holla
11-03-2007, 07:44 PM
no pun intended but

3 meals, 2 of which are complete junk, can obviously pack 3000 calories.

The question is...why would you want to do that?

- it'll have a less than ideal impact on body composition
- it'll have a less than ideal impact on your health
- and it'll probably have a less than ideal impact on your energy levels/mood during the day

I take in 4000+ cals of great quality food on workout days (and a bit less on off days). You can do it, it just takes planning.

Will obtaining 400 of your daily calories from a latte have a positive impact on your goals? Or would those 400 calories be better spent elsewhere?

Rodzilla
11-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Was reading an article on bb.com and came across this...just wanted to see some thoughts (agree/disagree) on this idea...

source:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=13

That excerpt is true. I just eat 6 meals a day because I'm hungry:D

BuffEctomorph
11-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Yah eating crappy and not clean 3 meals a day can easily push 3.5k calories. Hell Britney Spears apparently has 5k calories and she's not even 200lbs.

Its hard to eat clean and push 4k calories or more if your under 200lbs (not to mention expensive). That's where protein/carb shakes/drinks comes in of course.

Basil08
11-03-2007, 08:48 PM
is that from my thread lol?