PDA

View Full Version : Most Demanding spot

Loco2k
08-23-2002, 11:24 AM
which sport do u think is the most demanding physically in areas like strength speed???

Varsity 130
08-23-2002, 01:02 PM
Wrestling is the most demanding sport ever. It requires the most of anything you can think of, especially mental toughness.

jimsp
08-23-2002, 01:51 PM
yup defintly wrestling a 6 min match gets me more tired then like whole football game. u gotta use every muscle in ur body at all times almost.

elatham06
08-23-2002, 05:53 PM
boxing. definetly. not only do you gotta have incredible strength, stamina, runing ability, and mental toughness, you have to pshyce you and your oponent out.

playing a lineman is tough too.

Retardo-pex
08-23-2002, 10:39 PM
Out of the sports I have participated in wrestling is definately the hardest.

Smitty285
08-24-2002, 09:24 AM
I gotta go with wrestling. It's the toughest mentally and physically.

SportFreak
08-24-2002, 12:00 PM
Submission Style Fighting is really demanding.

haus55
08-24-2002, 02:42 PM
boxing or wrestling, and a close third would be basketball, you need anaerobic endurance and speed, aerobic endurance, strength endurance, and power, you pretty much need it all, probably the most demanding sport ive ever played.

Smitty285
08-24-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by haus55
boxing or wrestling, and a close third would be basketball, you need anaerobic endurance and speed, aerobic endurance, strength endurance, and power, you pretty much need it all, probably the most demanding sport ive ever played.

Basketball? You put basketball ahead of rugby, football, soccer, lacrosse, hockey, hell, even water polo and swimming? I mean, yeah you need to have good endurance, and maybe some power, but not nearly as much as those sports above.

SportFreak
08-24-2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Smitty285

Basketball? You put basketball ahead of rugby, football, soccer, lacrosse, hockey, hell, even water polo and swimming? I mean, yeah you need to have good endurance, and maybe some power, but not nearly as much as those sports above. \

All the sports you named all have intermediate breaks like football, you won't always be on the field unless your playing ironman. And soccer for the most part your only really working when the ball is on your side of the field. Basketball is a five on five, almost non stop running and jumping where not working your hardest all the time could cost you the game. All the sports you mentioned are hard but in my opinion not quite as demanding as basketball.

Edit: Maybe hockey is as hard i didn't see that until later.

marauder
08-24-2002, 06:14 PM
I got to go with football.
The prep that is done just to play one game is rough.Not to mention all the off season prep and woking as one uint with 11 other guys.The mental and physically in this game is nuts.

Varsity 130
08-24-2002, 09:46 PM
Anyone who hasn't said wrestling obviously hasn't participated in it. Mixed Martial Arts, like SportFreak said, and boxing are also difficult and painful, even moreso than wrestling, though I've never done either so I don't know. Contact sports are more difficult than non-contact sports, and individual sports are more difficult than team sports because there's no one to blame. When something goes wrong, it's all on you, which is why it's mental. As for basketball, I'll say this: "Balls. Wrestlers have them. Others just play with them."

Fatass
08-24-2002, 11:09 PM
Muay Thai(Thai boxing) is by far the hardest sport I can think of. It has all of the grappling factors of wrestling yet still has the finesse and cardio vascular demands of boxing. You also have to take more punishment because of the elbows and knees involved. Anyone who's ever been elbowed in the face will agree with me on that.

Powerlifter16
08-25-2002, 12:55 AM
Olympic Weightlifting

lifter

SportFreak
08-25-2002, 07:47 AM
Yeah muay thai is hell

jimsp
08-25-2002, 11:31 AM
"The sight i adore on a basketball floor is wrestling mats from door to door"

P.T.B.W
08-25-2002, 06:26 PM
I think the rules change depending on your body type and the level of competition you face. I'm 5'10" and in okay shape, enough to not get winded playing a lot of full court basketball, but if I play against guys who are bigger and faster the game can get rough.
I've done a little boxing and I have to say it could very well be the most grueling sport in existence. Throwing consistentently fast and crisp punches takes a lot out of you, but even more so does getting hit hard over and over again.
At the lower levels of football(High school, small colleges, etc. ) players that are naturally larger or faster than their opponents have an instant advantage-though in football there is no substitute for hard work and dillegent preperation. I have a lot of respect for undersized players in any sport, but especially football. BTW-I played almost every position and thought my position my senior year, center, was the least physically grueling, even though most of the competition out weighed me by 50pds or so.

bigshinygoon
08-26-2002, 03:07 AM
iron man competitions and triathelons. ultrarunning as well.

stfdsfinest
08-26-2002, 06:51 PM
wreastling definatly is up there if not the toughest....but long distance running is much harder then people believe if they've never done it. Think about it, every muscle in your body is burning, you can't breath, trying to suck up every ounce of oxygen in the air, all while trying to keep it up. Its a physically demanding sport, maybe not as much as some other sports, but mentally its one of the toughest sports. keeping urself going and not stopping even when your body is telling you too is a hard thing

jeebus
08-26-2002, 07:28 PM
wrestleing duhh!

thewrestler14
08-26-2002, 07:29 PM
Wrestling by far. A 6 min wrestling match is the hardest **** you'll ever do in your life and your even winded after the first 2 min period. I have no idea how college guys can handle 3 minute periods that's insanity. 6 min gets you just as much of a work out as a 60 min football game.

urbanlegend
08-29-2002, 02:05 PM
gymnastics

Fletch
08-30-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by jimsp
"The sight i adore on a basketball floor is wrestling mats from door to door"

damn right

Possy
08-31-2002, 04:15 PM
i have wrestled and played football...and i think football is much tougher......sure you may get a good workout in 6 minutes of wrestling....but in a football game you have 60 minutes of full speed collisions one right after another....i haven't heard of many wrestlers saying that they can barely walk b/c their body is so sore the day after a match.....but i have heard that from many football players(including myself).

also football is a team sport....it takes a lot more to get 11 guys all working together and being in the rigth spot than just going out and wrestling by yourself

Powerlifter16
08-31-2002, 04:32 PM
you mean 48mins? not 60.

lifter

Smitty285
08-31-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Possy

also football is a team sport....it takes a lot more to get 11 guys all working together and being in the rigth spot than just going out and wrestling by yourself

In my opinion, that's what makes wrestling so tough, there's no one to blame but yourself. If someone breaks a huge run because someone didn't make the tackle, you can always blame that guy, but if you get pinned, there's no one to put the blame on but yourself.

Oatmeal
09-01-2002, 05:39 AM
I think that wrestling is by far the most physically demanding. When the season starts, if you want to be a real threat to your competition, you must get your bodyfat down to a low percentage. Cutting a lot of weight alone could make it the toughest sport. But you also must condition to insane ammounts and toughen yourself up. Because when some guy clashes heads with you, you have to be able to take it. Then you have the fact that you must always be thinking of your next attack, because a moment of hesitation could lead to an instant defeat. The sheer stress and expectations put on your body during wrestling make it the most physically demanding sport.

jimsp
09-01-2002, 12:23 PM
Possy i play football and use to wrestle and u r right that u can barely walk after a game but the way my wrestling teams practices i could barely move after them and the next day. Also i would rather not be able to walk cuz of sorness then to barely be able to make it thru the day because u just droped 5-10 pounds in a day or 2 and havnt ate since before the practice that u had the nite before until ur weigh ins the next day. Football can be rough but there is no way it is more physcly demanding then a wrestling season. But then again my wrestling team is crazy and we have to bust r asses. so i guess it depends on the team if u have a really bad wrestling team then i would image that football would be harder.

Powerlifter16
09-01-2002, 12:31 PM
Iam sure yall know the difference between speed strength and strength endurance?

The debt is about what sport is more demanding about speed strength.. i get the sense yall are using your terms inoccectly.

lifter

Southrnrebel
09-01-2002, 01:37 PM
Wrestling by a long shot

Possy
09-01-2002, 01:37 PM

In my opinion, that's what makes wrestling so tough, there's no one to blame but yourself. If someone breaks a huge run because someone didn't make the tackle, you can always blame that guy, but if you get pinned, there's no one to put the blame on but yourself.

Thats why i love football. When someone scores in football they don't score on one person they score on the whole team. If your not out there busting your ass every play and doing your job you don't only make yourself look bad but you make the 10 other guys on the field with you look bad and your coach and the whole rest of your team looks bad. In football you aren't just playing for yourself you are playing for the whole team, and if the people on your team always go around blaming someone else when something goes wrong you aren't on a very good team. You may hate someones guts off the football field but if they are on the field with you you have to be willing to do anything for them.

When i wrestled i never had to cut weight so that probably made things easier on me, but as far as wrestiling workouts being so physically grueling compared to football, how many wrestlers have you heard of in the last couple years dying at practice b/c they are pushing themselves so hard....i can't think of any,
but in the last couple years i have heard of 4 or 5 football players dying at football practice

jimsp
09-03-2002, 09:11 AM
actully my like 2 or 3 years ago like 3 kids died wrestling from dehydration from cutting to much weight.

Smitty285
09-03-2002, 05:52 PM
I really don't think you should bring death into it. I mean, if that were the case, skydiving or something like that would be the toughest sport. Most of the time it's just stupidity, not how hard it is.

Satan666
09-03-2002, 06:02 PM
Wrestling...I've played football and wrestled and if someone thinks that football is tougher then they obviously weren't good or dedicated to wrestling.

Possy
09-03-2002, 06:29 PM
the last year i wrestled i was 14-2 and had a buch of forfits...i placed first and third in the tournaments i was in....

maybe some of you have never really had a tough football practice.

by the way guys i am not putting wrestling down..i think it is a great sport and very tough......but i just think that especially over and entire season football is more taxing on you body

Satan666
09-03-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Possy

When i wrestled i never had to cut weight so that probably made things easier on me, but as far as wrestiling workouts being so physically grueling compared to football, how many wrestlers have you heard of in the last couple years dying at practice b/c they are pushing themselves so hard....i can't think of any,
but in the last couple years i have heard of 4 or 5 football players dying at football practice

How about because some football players are so out of shape when they to come training camp that they take thermadrine or some other metabolism booster to enhance their performance. The combo of the 2 plus the fact that its HOT drops the weak like flies. Wrestling primarly takes place in the fall/winter and are usually athletes in shape (because you have to be if you want to be tough). Compare body fat of a football team vs a wrestling team. Also, how many people play football vs wrestle in America? Alot more which means there will be more cases of this happening. I have been far more exhausted after a 6 minute match than a 60 minute football game. Not because I didn't play but because you get breaks. I don't think its just me...I have a good feeling that the a majority will agree. Not to diss football because I loved playing and it is definately a physically and mentally tough sport.

P.T.B.W
09-04-2002, 01:36 PM
Bodyfat comparisons between football players and wrestlers are unfair-some positions in football benefit from extra mass(OL, DL, even FB, TE or MLB), but those guys are still tremendous atheletes. There are NFL DL who weigh nearly 300 pounds but can still run a 4.5 or 4.6 40 yard dash. That is a hell of an athlete.
One of the things that I have loved about football, especially at the High School level, is that any body type and any athlete can find a position where he can be effective with hard work. A small, wiry guy who is 5'6" and 135 pds can be a great wide reciever, even if he isn't the fastest guy. But if he runs good routes and develops his hands he can be great.
The same guys for big, overweight guys who would'nt have a place in other sports. By lifting weights hard, developing good feet, and working on conditioning he could become a great lineman.
Or, if you were like me and not very big, not very strong and not very fast you can still be a good player(even an all-star) by sheer determination and work ethic.
I guess that's why I have always loved football-it seems to be one of those sports that has something to offer anyone, at least at the high school level.

Person
09-04-2002, 02:35 PM
I've never wrestled so I can't say it's harder, but just to mention in football it's not always a 1on1 w/ someone close to your weight. Often ,if you have the ball, it could easily be 2 or 3vs1 with all 3 outweighing you by 20+ lb easily. I've never wrestled seriously though so I can't say it's any harder/easier.

MuayThaiKid
09-04-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Fatass
Muay Thai(Thai boxing) is by far the hardest sport I can think of. It has all of the grappling factors of wrestling yet still has the finesse and cardio vascular demands of boxing. You also have to take more punishment because of the elbows and knees involved. Anyone who's ever been elbowed in the face will agree with me on that.

Whooo hoo. You are correct. You have to be super tough to compete in that. Knees kill so bad. Punches arent to bad kicks are like a dead leg for 10min. Its the shin that hurts. I would also have to go with some type of grappling style though too.

Possy
09-04-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Satan666

How about because some football players are so out of shape when they to come training camp that they take thermadrine or some other metabolism booster to enhance their performance. The combo of the 2 plus the fact that its HOT drops the weak like flies. Wrestling primarly takes place in the fall/winter and are usually athletes in shape (because you have to be if you want to be tough). Compare body fat of a football team vs a wrestling team. Also, how many people play football vs wrestle in America? Alot more which means there will be more cases of this happening. I have been far more exhausted after a 6 minute match than a 60 minute football game. Not because I didn't play but because you get breaks. I don't think its just me...I have a good feeling that the a majority will agree. Not to diss football because I loved playing and it is definately a physically and mentally tough sport.

Compare the bodyfat of wrestlers to running backs, linebackers, recievers, corners and safetys, and i would have to say that they would all by pretty close.

And your rigth wrestling takes place in a controlled climate...so you are never going to have to play in 100+ heat or freezing cold, but that is part of the game in football....you can't just not play b/c the weather isn't how you would like it to be

and as far as the players being out of shape in camp that may be true for some lineman, but last year when a player from northwestern(not sure if this was the right school) died he had just got done running an insane amount of sprints.....i'm sure more than anyone on this page could handle

Possy
09-04-2002, 08:32 PM
there arebreaks in wrestling matches....in between each period....and i don't know how many times i have been watching a wrestling match and a guys is totally spents so he just calls for injury time....or knocks a contact out to stop the match.....and there is also blood time.....so as far as there being no breaks at all in a wrestling match that is just a lie

you may be more out of breath after a wrestling match than a football game.....but that isn't all the question is asking
I play middle linebacker and fullback and i am on all special teams so i am usually right in the middle of the action almost everyplay, either getting drilled by someone or hitting someone myslef. There are probably atleast 60-70 plays in every football game....that takes a toll on your body.....so even though after the game you may not be out of breath your body is just drained of all its energy.....not to mention being battered and bruised....you can catch your breath after a wrestling match in 5-10 minutes.....your body doesn't recover froma football game for a couple days

footballmanster
09-05-2002, 04:28 PM
I play football and wrestle and in wrestling u r usually matched up to some1 your weight (with some exceptions) but in football I'm in 7th grade and I play on the 8th grade football team (there wasnt enough 7th graders) and i'm one of the lightest people on my team, and in this kind of situation football can be much tougher and if it wasnt for my 5 years of playing then I probably would get crushed every practice and game, but still wrestling can still be tougher sometimes and the climate isnt only controlled to be cold but also to be hot

jimsp
09-05-2002, 04:58 PM
you can catch your breath after a wrestling match in 5-10 minutes

your body doesn't recover froma football game for a couple days

That is not nesecarly tru u go through a tough all out wrestling match and it is not just that ur out of breath u can barely move. Plus u usaly have like 3 mathces a week wich add up over time but u are right that the soreness and the way ur body feels after a hard football game does take longer to recover from.Im in football season right now and it seems like i keep waking up with new pain and injurys everyday But i still gotta say going though wrestling season for my town was one of the hardest things i eva had to do.

Smitty285
09-05-2002, 06:25 PM
controlled climate? I really wish it wasn't controlled. The wrestling room is usually a humid 95 degrees....on a good day. Not to mention the smell of 50 sweaty guys.

jimsp
09-05-2002, 07:02 PM
we do have controlled climate in r wrestling room and usally someone turns it all the way up so they can lose more weight. then when u get the heat put on and a buch of sweaty people it is usally like 95 and humid like smitty285 said.

Oldschool
09-05-2002, 07:43 PM
I would say Submission Fighting is the most demanding sport.

Physically wise i would say it's more demanding then wrestling, just the fact that there's a lot more chokes and cranks that take the life outta you.

But mentally wise i would say wrestling and S.Fighting are equal.

Oldschool
09-05-2002, 07:49 PM
you can catch your breath after a wrestling match in 5-10 minutes

your body doesn't recover froma football game for a couple days

That is not nesecarly tru u go through a tough all out wrestling match and it is not just that ur out of breath u can barely move. Plus u usaly have like 3 mathces a week wich add up over time but u are right that the soreness and the way ur body feels after a hard football game does take longer to recover from.Im in football season right now and it seems like i keep waking up with new pain and injurys everyday But i still gotta say going though wrestling season for my town was one of the hardest things i eva had to do.

Sit in a tub of ice (or really cold water) right after practice for 15mintues. I take SubmissionFighting/Brazilian Ju-Jitsu and I wrestled for a bit and i noticed recently that when I sit in a tub of ice for around 15minutes the recovery time is shortend by around 2 days. Thats if you're still wrestling :)

dez\null
09-06-2002, 12:23 PM
yeah due to chokeing old school but look of it this way a wrestler can adapt to your moves and most likely turn em agenst you. then you would be in a world of ****

Oldschool
09-06-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by dez\null
yeah due to chokeing old school but look of it this way a wrestler can adapt to your moves and most likely turn em agenst you. then you would be in a world of ****

Are you comparing the two fighting styles? As in who would win?

dez\null
09-06-2002, 12:44 PM
depends on the fighter. in any ways us olympic wrestlers are quite possibly the most dagerous people on earth.

Oldschool
09-06-2002, 07:36 PM
You're joking right?

Wrestlers are obviously in the elite group of best fighters in the world, but you can't compare them to BJJ, cause they'd get whiped.

dez\null
09-06-2002, 10:58 PM
righttt.....you keep thinking that. cause when push comes to shove. well figure it this way submission fighting is nothing without wrestling. put that locking and crap in the hands of a wrestler (trust me its not hard to adapt to that) he won't need it.

lets not argue about it im sorta pissed over this Iran thing.

Oldschool
09-07-2002, 08:32 AM
righttt.....you keep thinking that. cause when push comes to shove. well figure it this way submission fighting is nothing without wrestling. put that locking and crap in the hands of a wrestler (trust me its not hard to adapt to that) he won't need it.

lets not argue about it im sorta pissed over this Iran thing.

No need to argue, I appreciate where you're comming from. And I agree that a wrestler would be dangerous with the skills of a BJJ artist. But a BJJ artist would be dangerous with the skills of a wrestler. But saying that means that you would be cross-training.
We're just talking about base here. Like PURE wrestler vs PURE Bjj. And you can't really argue that a wresltler could take on a Bjj becaue of the fact that a Bjj has such a stronger arsenal(sp?).

In UFC when Dan Severn fought Royce Gracie (both were considered to be the best at what they do) the fight was clearly going Dan's way, but ended up winning in the end with a Triangle Choke. Dan outweighted him by 150lbs, and Royce managed to exhaust him and finish him off.

Becaues of the powerfull force of brazilian ju-jitsu, all the ufc fighters are now using BJJ as a base for learning more ground skills. Even Tito Ortiz, the UFC champ, former wrestling state champ, said that he is taking 4hours of bjj a day, to prepare for his fight with Ken Shamrock.

dez\null
09-07-2002, 10:42 AM
true. im guessing he did not use the abilitys he was allowed to use. thats a problem in the UFC alot of guys never use the full ability there allowed. so of corse the BJJ artists are going to win.

Oldschool
09-07-2002, 07:27 PM
Actually i was talking about the early UFC's where the rules were no eye-gouge's, no biting, no breaking fingers/toes. I'm pretty sure that wrestlers don't use those anyways.

p0w3rlift3r
09-08-2002, 10:28 PM
Wresteling would have to be the most physically demanding sport there is.

maybe it don't cause the most soreness like football or powerlifting

but when it actually comes down to 6 minutes of tough hardcore action wresteling has most any sport i can think of beat

btw, who the hell can actually not get out of a cradel hold?

Oldschool
09-09-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by p0w3rlift3r

btw, who the hell can actually not get out of a cradel hold?

Obviously not the same person thats dumb enough to get caught in one.

luke02
09-10-2002, 11:18 PM
from my experience i'd say boxing is the toughest, although i've never tried wrestling. you need every ounce of fitness and mental strength you can muster to have any way of competing. australian rules football would have to be one of the most demanding of ball sports. not only do you need endurance and anaerobic ability but you need strength and power, especially since it is a very open contact sport.
not that i've ever tried but the men's marathon has got to be up there with the toughest. the longest i've run is 20km and i was absolutely buggered.
golf would have to be one of the toughest to watch on tv.

Yeti
09-11-2002, 12:17 PM
i would definatly say old school vale tudo. That ****s crazy. anything goes almost, even groin shots and elbows to the back of the head.

weakchump
09-13-2002, 01:43 PM
I played grid iron football at a small school (8 man football), and it was by far the most demanding sport I have ever participated in. Played TE, DE, and special teams. The daily punishment really caught up to all of us playing gridiron ball. Not only that, by the end of the season it would be 30 degrees and snowing. Two hours of snow and sleet in full pads crushing the crap out of everyone for two and a half hours of practice is just about the most extreme workout i've ever been through.

jedi4049
09-13-2002, 08:38 PM
well i am a small guy i am 5'4 125 lbs and i played football the past 2 years. i did good at cornerback and make some tackles and ****. i wasnt in the best shape at all but if u go for the legs u'll be ok. also i think football is the toughest cuz sometimes games can feel short if your offense is good. but in my teams case it wasnt so we were pretty much always out there bustin our asses and our record showed for that lack of offense and a tired defense. eventually theyll get past a tackle blah blah and thas y teams need balanced offense and defense :-). conditioning and practice isnt that tough for football i could handle it fine. it jus leaved you VERY tired and you dont feel liek doing homework :-/. baseball is my fav. sport (not toughest) but i jus wanted to add that LOL.

Debaser
09-14-2002, 10:08 AM
I'd say the IronMan events.

Stay Puft
09-14-2002, 10:30 AM
Triathalon. hardest thing i have ever done. and it was a Mini-triathalon.(1km swim(indoor pool), 25km bike and 7km run). hardest thing ever.

Wrestler12321
09-21-2002, 11:14 AM
Wrestling

Roadwarriorsdp
09-22-2002, 07:49 AM
hands down if your tlaking about energy in and out its cross country. Doesnt require much strenght but it is the most physical demanding sport. At a professional level you have to run 6 miles under 30 minutes to be considered competetive. I been no one on this board has ever done that. And if they have i respect you alot.

Im not a runner but my friend is. He has ran 15 miles every day teh last 5 years and he is just barely able to compete in divison one. Imagine what the others had to do.

No if throwing crips punches gets you tired but if you try running 6 miles at there pace, which is probably your sprinting pace for an 800 then you would go down loike a hrose the first 3 minutes. They do it for 30 minutes and more depending on the race. Not to mention in cross country there are hills, trenches, and logs you must jump climp and run up.

I would rate the 800m also as a very mind bending sport. Yes track is asport. I would do this because it is a full out sprint for half a mile. I did this once and i could not walk for 7 days without soreness in my legs. And i am a very strong athlete, i squat 350 and bench 230 (no that strong but for highschool im above average).

I did wrestle once and they had us jog around teh gym for 40 minutes. IT was easy as hell. I won all conference freshman year for jv but had to quit because my back was killing me.

I also tried football and the only reason that is tuff is because you get hit. I can go take a wrench and drop it on my foot while i run and claim the same thing football players claim. There is nothing hard about the practices. And dont tell me running negative miles is tuff at practice because for track we ran 7 negative splits with only 30 seconds rest. That is 7 miles starting at 6 minutes going down 10-20 seconds every mile till we hit 4:50 or wherever we were after 7.

So that is hwy i think none of those sports are the most demanding overal but crosscountry is. IT is by far the mind flexor of them all. Expecialy since your usually up agianst 6-10 runners whoa re just as good as you, and that is in a small race.

Oldschool
09-22-2002, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Roadwarriorsdp
hands down if your tlaking about energy in and out its cross country. Doesnt require much strenght but it is the most physical demanding sport. At a professional level you have to run 6 miles under 30 minutes to be considered competetive. I been no one on this board has ever done that. And if they have i respect you alot.

Im not a runner but my friend is. He has ran 15 miles every day teh last 5 years and he is just barely able to compete in divison one. Imagine what the others had to do.

No if throwing crips punches gets you tired but if you try running 6 miles at there pace, which is probably your sprinting pace for an 800 then you would go down loike a hrose the first 3 minutes. They do it for 30 minutes and more depending on the race. Not to mention in cross country there are hills, trenches, and logs you must jump climp and run up.

I would rate the 800m also as a very mind bending sport. Yes track is asport. I would do this because it is a full out sprint for half a mile. I did this once and i could not walk for 7 days without soreness in my legs. And i am a very strong athlete, i squat 350 and bench 230 (no that strong but for highschool im above average).

I did wrestle once and they had us jog around teh gym for 40 minutes. IT was easy as hell. I won all conference freshman year for jv but had to quit because my back was killing me.

I also tried football and the only reason that is tuff is because you get hit. I can go take a wrench and drop it on my foot while i run and claim the same thing football players claim. There is nothing hard about the practices. And dont tell me running negative miles is tuff at practice because for track we ran 7 negative splits with only 30 seconds rest. That is 7 miles starting at 6 minutes going down 10-20 seconds every mile till we hit 4:50 or wherever we were after 7.

So that is hwy i think none of those sports are the most demanding overal but crosscountry is. IT is by far the mind flexor of them all. Expecialy since your usually up agianst 6-10 runners whoa re just as good as you, and that is in a small race.

Yea you're right, but you're also very ignorant. Some people find track AMMAZZZINGLY easy. They're natrual. But put those guys on the football field and they'll swear on they're own lives that they will never step foot on the field again.

Varsity 130
09-22-2002, 08:48 AM
All things being equal, I think wrestling is the toughest. But everyone will get what they put into a sport. If a football player who works their ass off for the love of the game decides to wrestle, which he doesn't like very much, then he'll obviously say football is harder because naturally that's the sport he works the hardest at.

Luke530
09-22-2002, 11:19 AM
most demanding... triathalons, marathons... no comparison... wrestling is pussy **** compared to that... physically and mentally

I think rowing may be one of the most demanding sports... waking up at 4:00am 2 hour practices before and 3 hour practices after school. going all out until you are numb and about to pass out... sometimes max effort 40min. straight... no break whatsoever... it's all legs back and arms... you don't get much harder than that...

football and wrestling are hard... I have done both... and it's nothing like rowing... not even close...

Oldschool
09-22-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Luke530
most demanding... triathalons, marathons... no comparison... wrestling is pussy **** compared to that... physically and mentally

I think rowing may be one of the most demanding sports... waking up at 4:00am 2 hour practices before and 3 hour practices after school. going all out until you are numb and about to pass out... sometimes max effort 40min. straight... no break whatsoever... it's all legs back and arms... you don't get much harder than that...

football and wrestling are hard... I have done both... and it's nothing like rowing... not even close...

You're retarded. I could say that about football. waking up at 4:00am 2 hour practices before and 3 hour practices after school. going all out until you are numb and about to pass out... sometimes max effort 40min. straight... no break whatsoever...

Just the fact that you don't put all that effort into being a football player doesn't mean that it's less hard, it just means that you're less dedicated.

Varsity 130
09-22-2002, 02:44 PM
That's what I just said!

Oldschool
09-22-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Varsity 130
That's what I just said!

Well i understand that, but try to tell that too Luke530

Luke530
09-22-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Oldschool

Well i understand that, but try to tell that too Luke530

Iv'e played football... and even when giving 100% effort... it's nothing like rowing... sure, it's no walk in the park... but I'm just saying rowing is a harder sport...

dez\null
09-22-2002, 09:10 PM
how hard is it to row. :rolleyes:

im not dissen on it but come on.

no listen up mother****ers until you go and start thinking "whats the most demanding sport" its obveously wrestling. i mean the term "wrestling" is used in everyday language for something hard to handle. so before you go and say something like "crew" or "shuttlecock" please think of the wrestlers

Many a man have tryed to last on the mat. Few make it. The rest ended up on the basketball team.

Fat Boy
09-23-2002, 04:23 AM
on a demanding sport is a sport that can cause so much damage to ones body, not jsut freak occurences (i.e broken necks in football etc etc)

Triple Jump
try running flat out for 50m, hopping as far as you can landing on a single leg, go out of this into a step as far as possible and then jump as far as you can, do this for 10yrs and then see if you have any hips/knees/ankles/back left

Race Walking
May sound stupid but 50km walking on a road is very ****ign hard, if you ever meet a race walker ask them about that state of there genitalia after they have finished, there balls a rubbed red raw and often bleeding, plus they do at least 350km a week of walking,

Javelin
throwing a long narrow 800g javelin as far as you can, this causes havoc on Elbow/shoulder/back/knees

Oldschool
09-23-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Fat Boy
on a demanding sport is a sport that can cause so much damage to ones body, not jsut freak occurences (i.e broken necks in football etc etc)

Triple Jump
try running flat out for 50m, hopping as far as you can landing on a single leg, go out of this into a step as far as possible and then jump as far as you can, do this for 10yrs and then see if you have any hips/knees/ankles/back left

Race Walking
May sound stupid but 50km walking on a road is very ****ign hard, if you ever meet a race walker ask them about that state of there genitalia after they have finished, there balls a rubbed red raw and often bleeding, plus they do at least 350km a week of walking,

Javelin
throwing a long narrow 800g javelin as far as you can, this causes havoc on Elbow/shoulder/back/knees

Have you completely lost your mind?

Triple Jump, Race Walking and JAVELIN???!?!?!?
Might as well add fishing and baseball.

Luke530
09-23-2002, 12:51 PM
how hard is it to row. :rolleyes:

im not dissen on it but come on.

no listen up mother****ers until you go and start thinking "whats the most demanding sport" its obveously wrestling. i mean the term "wrestling" is used in everyday language for something hard to handle. so before you go and say something like "crew" or "shuttlecock" please think of the wrestlers

Many a man have tryed to last on the mat. Few make it. The rest ended up on the basketball team.

dez, try it... you will not know until you do...

I remember sweat nights when I wrestled... coach would tape a shirt to the wall and we would have to do enough exercising to actually build up enough heat to make the shirt stick off, and fall of the wall (I wrestled one year). Imagine something about 2-3x as hard. Wrestling is hard... but I have done both... and crew beats all, no joke. Although, I will admit, wrestling is alot harder than any other sport I tried before that... I just got into crew, and I cannot do both every year.

smognogger
09-23-2002, 08:23 PM
hockey

Oldschool
09-23-2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by smognogger
hockey

Yea gliding on skates and leaning on your stick is hard.

dez\null
09-23-2002, 10:05 PM

dez, try it... you will not know until you do...

I remember sweat nights when I wrestled... coach would tape a shirt to the wall and we would have to do enough exercising to actually build up enough heat to make the shirt stick off, and fall of the wall (I wrestled one year). Imagine something about 2-3x as hard. Wrestling is hard... but I have done both... and crew beats all, no joke. Although, I will admit, wrestling is alot harder than any other sport I tried before that... I just got into crew, and I cannot do both every year.

cracks neck sure it is. figureing iv had 7 concussions from it a ****ed up knee several busted fingers a ****ed up rotator cup(works fine now) a bad back and serveral other "minor problems"

Luke530
09-24-2002, 04:48 AM
rator cuff?

injuries are not a big deal... rowing takes it's toll on your back... but injuries dont make it super hard... if they did, boxing and ultimate fighting would be #1... i'm talking most physically demanding...

fido
09-29-2002, 12:09 PM
wrestling is by far the hardest sport. imagine eating less than 100 Calories a day for a few days straight, while have a 3+ hour practice and a 5 mile run each of these days, then going out and trying to fight with someone. nothing comes close
distance running is second hardest. it does take an awful lot of mental toughness and a high pain threshhold.

football is freakin easy compared to those sports. believe me, ive played all three at the high school level.

Luke530
09-29-2002, 12:34 PM
if you are dumb enough to eat less than 100 calories per day (might as well not eat anything)... then you are not mentally tough but mentally retarded...

jimsp
09-29-2002, 12:48 PM
then u are callin half the wrestlers in the country retarded. Becuase most of them barely eat any thing the day before or the day of the match. I dunno about 100 calories only because once weigh ins are ova u usally eat way more then a hundred calories but before weigh ins u dont eat ne thing all day.

Oldschool
09-29-2002, 03:44 PM
There's other ways to cut weight then starving yourself.

That IS retarded if these "athletes" eat less then 100 cals a day.

jimsp
09-29-2002, 05:36 PM
ya less then a 100 calories is pretty crazy ur rite i have never really seen that. but i do know that u usally weigh out of practice the day before a match maybe any where from a pound under to being right on the weight u have to wrestle the next day. So u usaly barley eat after that practice then u weight ur self the next morning and depending how much u weigh u usally wont really eat ne thing until weigh ins that nite.

P.T.B.W
09-30-2002, 08:11 AM
100 calories is unbelievable-I had plenty of good friends on my HS wrestling team an no one at that little. 100 calories would be a handful of carrots 3-4 times a day. One slice of lunchmeat and you've eaten your cals for the day.
They probably told you 1000 calories, which is still very challenging, especially for a big guy with a high metabolism. Most of my buddies did 1500-2000 cals while cutting, remember that a brutal 3 hour practice could consume nearly 1500 cals in and of itself.
Football is certainly less demanding as far as conditioning goes, most wrestlers will be better distance runners than most football players and wrestling coaches will spend more time running their players than football coaches. But football isnt about distance running, its about short, explosive movements, beyond that football has several differant positions, each with their own unique demands and skill prerequisites. A guy who is a great lineman might find defensive back highly demanding-nearly impossible, and the opposite is true. If you don't think football is demanding, take a 120 pound HS freshman and make him play d-line against a 270 pd. senior tackle or take a 270 tackle and make him play free safety. Then tell me football is easy.
I do have to say that football and wrestling are somewhat unique among high school sports because to be successful you have to work dillegently in the off-season. I played for a small school with a poor program, but if you wanted to be good enough to start you still had to invest a lot of off season time in the weight room, the same goes for wrestling(if you want to be good). I knew b-ballers who never lifted, never ran and didn't play much basketball until their season, yet were still good enough to start and be effective, the same goes for soccer players.

Oldschool
09-30-2002, 12:35 PM
Soccer is one of those sports where you're eighter born with it or not. Some people train and get a bit better, others just gradually keep improving without putting work into it.

monos
09-30-2002, 11:01 PM
mixed martial arts...imo is the most demanding sport out there...

Oldschool
10-01-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by monos
mixed martial arts...imo is the most demanding sport out there...

I'd have to agree that mentaly it's the most demanding.

EliasLB1030@msn
10-01-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by elatham06
boxing. definetly. not only do you gotta have incredible strength, stamina, runing ability, and mental toughness, you have to pshyce you and your oponent out.

playing a lineman is tough too.

BUMP

i used to box for 6 yearz straight being defeated 8 times i luv it am and am tryin to find a way to incorporate bodybuilding with fukin sumbody up, oops i meant boxing. But no question boxing is the most demandin of em all especially if u go the entire 12

fido
10-01-2002, 07:18 PM
when i said 100 calories, i meant 100 colories. many days during the season, i only gave a cup of orange juice and some water all day. some days i have literally nothing, no food, no liquid.
by the way, if you're able to leave practice at or under weight, your lucky. i usually leave a good 3 over, so i have to ride the bike for a while, spit, and sleep in a sweatshirt and sweatpants. yeah, i hate it, but its what you have to do to be good. if your friends are telling you they're eating 1000 calories a day, they're either JV, or your school's wrestling program sucks.

Oldschool
10-02-2002, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by fido
when i said 100 calories, i meant 100 colories. many days during the season, i only gave a cup of orange juice and some water all day. some days i have literally nothing, no food, no liquid.
by the way, if you're able to leave practice at or under weight, your lucky. i usually leave a good 3 over, so i have to ride the bike for a while, spit, and sleep in a sweatshirt and sweatpants. yeah, i hate it, but its what you have to do to be good. if your friends are telling you they're eating 1000 calories a day, they're either JV, or your school's wrestling program sucks.

Your schools program is retarded first of all. And second of all, how smart is it to dehydrate yourself so much and starve your body, so you could be BETTER???? You're lowering your weight so you fight against weaker opponents, if that's what you call "being better" then congradulations.

EliasLB1030@msn
10-02-2002, 09:35 AM

who in gods name can take in 100 calories ONLY and still survive, maybe if u wighed like 10 pounds but **** that s just pathetic. U could eat a cup of grapes, lol 100 calories no 1 on this board even consumes try multiplying that by 30 or 40 and you got this board down pat

P.T.B.W
10-02-2002, 01:31 PM
As I stated before, I was good friends(and still keep contact) with a number of wrestlers at my HS, some of which were state qualifiers, one of which recieved a full ride scholarship. Most of the guys who were really good, the guys who only lost a few times a year, didn't cut tons of weight. they might lose 8-12 pounds and they would start watching what they ate a few months ahead of time. My friends that would cut 25 pounds never seemed to be any good, it could be just a coincidence.
But none of them ever starved themselves for days and days like that. A guy might take a few days, eat very lightly, etc. or skip eating or drinking the day before a weigh-in but no one ever starved for days at a time. Remember, there is a differance between cutting and starving.
In regards to the last post, remember that football is not about long distance cardiovascular performance or having practices that are taxing in that manner. Football requires explosion, power, agility but doesn't require distance type endurance. In football, at least for upperclassmen, you might have to remember several dozen plays with different assignments and then turn around and play defense all the while being aware of your responsibility and your opponents tendancies. Those challenges make football very unique among high school sports

fido
10-02-2002, 03:02 PM
wrestling is much, much harder than football because it requires the bursts of power and agility like those and football, the endurance like that in distance running. it is unbelievably taxing.
as for weight cutting, many, many wrestlers prettymuch starve themselves for days at a time, trying to lose 20+ lbs. this is necessary for me because if i wrestle at my natural weight, 160, ill be wrestling 6' tall, huge monsters in the tough tournaments. if i cut down to 140, however, ill be one of those huge monsters.

jimsp
10-02-2002, 03:41 PM
ur lucky fido to be able to go home over weight. People on my team when we would wrestle couldnt leave practice till they were under sum people had to stay after a long hard ass practice for another hour and lose weight. And the 2 years i wrestled we were state champs so u cant say the program i was in sucked. we also had four or five place in the states and one kid one the states. By the way u usally float more weight by not wearing ne thing to bed instead of a sweater and leave a window open cuz ur body uses more energy keepin u warm at nite then if u wear a sweater.

Smitty285
10-02-2002, 05:25 PM
Our wrestling team was number 5 in Division 1 last year in the state of Ohio. No one had to starve themselves. We would have a shot at state if it weren't for the private schools who recruit. But my point is that our coach would not let you lose weight. There's no way you could have enough energy to wrestle after not eating or drinking for a whole day. That is insane. I'd like to know how your team did in states, and what state it was in.

P.T.B.W
10-03-2002, 01:35 PM
I will agree that wrestling is unbelievably taxing, but my point is that football presents unique challenges, physical as well as mental. In fairness, the best wrestlers are guys who remain calm and intellegent.
Maybe the comparison is unfair. There is no sport that is directly comparable to football within the realm of high school athletics.
It seems that most of the guys on this board who say that football is "easy" have been to some practices, but never had much varsity playing experience.
As far cutting weight so you don't have to face those huge 6' 160 pound guys, imagine having to go against someone who weighs 50-100 pounds more than you for an entire football game, knowing that if you let him win you let your team down and get set on the bench. Blow those big boys off the line, dominate and win post season honors and then tell me that excelling in football is easy.
From your post I assume you wrestle around 140. Take a 220 pound guy on in practice and see how easy it is.

jimsp
10-03-2002, 01:59 PM
if ur talkin to me then my team one the group 2 states in 2000 and the group 3 states in 2001 in and those years took in the top five in the overall state of new jersey im not sure wut place exactly depending on wich paper u are goin by and and stuff. I think one year they were like 23 or 19 in the nation but im not really sure bout that.

Smitty285
10-03-2002, 06:52 PM
Actually I was talking to Fido

MJB
10-03-2002, 09:00 PM
Maybe someone said this, maybe not, I got into the thread a few pages late and really don't want to read every opinion. I feel that the each sport is as grueling as you make it. If you go all out in boxing, or all out in football, wrestling, etc, I believe there on the same level. Hell badmitton can beat the hell out of you if you make it.

MJB

fido
10-05-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by P.T.B.W
From your post I assume you wrestle around 140. Take a 220 pound guy on in practice and see how easy it is.

blocking a guy, or tackling him, is one thing. trying to literally throw him, or lift him off the ground and put him down on his back, is quite another. When i played football, i was going up against guys much larger than me the entire time. i was an unusally small d-end and tight end, but it was still a lot easier than wrestling, and actually, even though football is a relatively intense sport, it is not nearly as intense as wrestling is.

fido
10-05-2002, 08:10 PM
By the way u usally float more weight by not wearing ne thing to bed instead of a sweater and leave a window open cuz ur body uses more energy keepin u warm at nite then if u wear a sweater.

The reason you would bundle up at night to lose weight would be if you had prettymuch no calories in you, like i do. the only things i can lose are muscle and water-weight, so bundling up helps me to get a good sweat going while i sleep. if you're able to sleep normally and still lose enough weight just by burning off calories while you sleep, then you obviously don't cut nearly as much weight as i do.

jimsp
10-05-2002, 10:02 PM
no i never did cut a lot of wieght the most was usally bout ten pounds wich isnt much at all im jus sayin i know people on the team that did and i dont even know if it is definitly tru but i have always herd that u lose more weight at nite when ur body is trying to stay warm cuz u have no clothes and a window open in the middle of winter then if u wear a sweater.

Valcore
10-05-2002, 10:32 PM
Ultra triathlon would be one of the toughest. A completion time of 10 hours is an awesome time for this.

Pro
10-06-2002, 10:58 AM
Chess and checkers

Smitty285
10-06-2002, 01:55 PM

The reason you would bundle up at night to lose weight would be if you had prettymuch no calories in you, like i do. the only things i can lose are muscle and water-weight, so bundling up helps me to get a good sweat going while i sleep. if you're able to sleep normally and still lose enough weight just by burning off calories while you sleep, then you obviously don't cut nearly as much weight as i do.

Was it worth it?

fido
10-11-2002, 03:36 PM
Was it worth it?

yes

BigN_GayBodyB
10-11-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Loco2k
which sport do u think is the most demanding physically in areas like strength speed???

boxing

turboman
10-22-2002, 11:49 AM
As a hopeful Ironman I will say it is the toughest sport I know of. I haven't done an Ironman length distance yet but I'm almost ready to do it. Next summer I will do my first one. And I hope for a 10 hour finish. I think I'm ready. My bike is awesome my swim is pretty good, running is questionable at this point. There is no one cheering you on, no big pay day, just your mental toughness telling you to fight the pain and finish.

Ultra distance running is just insane. They must have a really high amount of injuries and a very short running career.

Adventure racing is tough to. How they can stay up for days at a time is beyond me. I really need my sleep so I doubt I will ever do one of these. :)

Luke530
10-22-2002, 04:36 PM
I agree on that... but I will still dispute rowing (crew), my sport, as being one of the toughest ones out there :D

craigeo
10-29-2002, 06:38 PM
Wrestling by far! I participated in wrestling, football, baseball, and even basketball for 1 season (what a pansy sport!). One thing to say... Girls play basketball, boys play football, but men wrestle!

Luke530
10-29-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by craigeo
Wrestling by far! I participated in wrestling, football, baseball, and even basketball for 1 season (what a pansy sport!). One thing to say... Girls play basketball, boys play football, but men wrestle!

gay men that like touching other men, right? :D joking :D:D

craigeo
10-29-2002, 08:43 PM
heheheh

John Henry
11-01-2002, 05:45 PM
How about rodeo? Your opponent outweighs you 10-1 and there are no time outs, or penalties for roughness. Men have died.

Luke530
11-02-2002, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by John Henry
Men have died.

men have died tripping on a curb... :D

yeah... rodeo is some crazy ****... but then so are most extreme sports... skiing, snowboarding, etc...

JoJo
11-07-2002, 06:33 PM
i would never want to wrestle in highschool. It seems retarded- yeah guys lets go starve ourselves and look like little skinny guys so we can win some medal and become deathly ill from malnutrition!!!!!!!

im just kidding. it just seems that way in wrestling so i know i will never wrestle competitively.

its just the same in football though - its seems all they care about is weight wieght weight!!
I dont think getting fat is good for any sport, thats why im not going to try to play college. Im 200 pounds 6'1" (still pretty thin) , and i do not want to become 300 pounds, 6'1". that would be gross.

So my point is; take a step back in highschool, have some fun, and try different stuff. afterall, that is what sports are for - FUN. dont do something bad to yourself for a dumb reason. (that means dont starve yourself or get way too fat or something crazy like that)

Ralph Wiggum
11-08-2002, 06:36 AM
Ice hockey. You have to have the strength of a football player and the speed of a runner/sprinter. You need to learn how to turn left, turn right, stop both ways, skate backwards, crossovers, 360 rotations, checking, shooting, passing, accuracy, speed, endurance. For the person who said all you do in hockey is glide on the ice. There is much more to it and you will be sweating your ass off in 5 minutes. If you don't believe me, go try for yourself. Hardest, most competitive game you will ever play, because there is such a size, weight, and age difference between people.

xthematrix
11-08-2002, 01:26 PM
all sports are hard in diff. ways, why argue about it? everyones obviously gonna say the sport they play is the hardest. wrestlers: i know its not ez, but get your head outta your own ass. anyone can grab another guys crotch and flip em down.

SIZMTRZ
11-09-2002, 07:17 PM
dude your an a@@ for promoting that wrestlers try to float weight by bundleing up to sleep!!! A very close friend of mine almost killed himself by doing that, when his mom found him in the AM it looked like Rigor Mortis had set in he was cramped so bad!!!

NEway- wrestling is definately the most taxing!! Hockey is close, but shifts last only 45seconds, then you get a break. Wrestling is essentially 7 straight minutes of full go!

It is getting better for the health of wrestlers these days though, with all the hydration testing and body fat testing. A Pain in the butt for coaches and wrestlers from the old school... but absolutley better for the wrestlers health!!!

...in college it was common to float 10-12lbs of water per practice...at least for me! I would start every day 245ish and end between 230 and 235. It was nice to see Abs!!! LOL someone would go to the room at about noon to turn the heat on ( radiant heat on the walls all the way around the room) so it would be warm enough to practice in! One thing was for sure... no pulled muscles! Man,I miss it so much! I can't wait to start coaching!!

Lector606
11-10-2002, 09:23 PM
I've done soccer, wrestling, football, fencing, muay thai, boxing, and modern triaths.

I personally think it's individual, certain people have an easier time doing certain things.

For me, modern triathlon was easier than muay thai, boxing or wrestling, but modern triath was much harder than soccer and football. it also depends what you play in ball sports because different body types find different positions more demanding.

fencing is bloody harder than it looks, for me it was nearly comparable to wrestling (although I wouldn't call it as physically demanding, a bit more mentally but not as physically for sure)

seriously though, strongman looks like the bloody hardest thing I've ever seen in my life, if you count it as a sport.

other than that, any martial art is the most taxing for me with no real art in particular being the most difficult. i mean, it's hard as hell blocking a roundhouse with your shin, it's hard as hell rolling with the punches to your face, and it's hard as hell trying to get the last bloody point in a wrestling match when you've only got 15 seconds left.

DavetheDog
11-12-2002, 04:19 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SportFreak
[B]\

And soccer for the most part your only really working when the ball is on your side of the field.

Not true. I don't think that soccer is the most demanding sport. But to say you only work when you have the ball, or when the ball is in your half, is not true. Averagepros run over a marathon during one 90 minute game. There's much more to it than being near the ball.

N_tenseLifter88
11-16-2002, 01:56 PM
football,you need strength,speed,toughness,and you have to be mentally tough as well.

Retardo-pex
11-16-2002, 02:25 PM
You guys are gonna think this is stupid but its just my 2 cents. Mentally I think track and field can be tough. Hearing about each school's superstar and records can be kinda intimidating sometimes. I think it would be the hardest for runners, but for me there is sometimes a large sense of doubt when I first see the other team's throwers. I'm pretty small for my sport (5'9", 165 lbs@ 9%bf) as a junoir in high school. I can't realy on my weight to move the shot and disc, I have to have perfect technique in order to win. Most of the guys I compete against are 6'2" 250 lb mosters and it is pretty intimidating when the coach points them out and says all you have to do is beat them. As for physically, I havnt tried every single sport but I would say wrestling is the hardest thing I've ever done.

kickboxer111222
11-16-2002, 02:30 PM
wrestling, yeh especially if your ground grappling.
any think kickboxing is second?

britrugger8
11-18-2002, 05:38 PM
I have played soccer basketball football rugby and wrestled. Of all of those sports Wrestling and Rugby are by far the toughest. Football is just for pussies

Oldschool
11-18-2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by britrugger8
I have played soccer basketball football rugby and wrestled. Of all of those sports Wrestling and Rugby are by far the toughest. Football is just for pussies

Tell Ray Lewis or Warren Sapp that.

turboman
11-18-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by DavetheDog
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SportFreak
[B]\
Averagepros run over a marathon during one 90 minute game. There's much more to it than being near the ball.

A marathon in a 90 minute game. Dam now my 3 hour marathons really suck.

Powerlifter16
11-18-2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Retardo-pex
You guys are gonna think this is stupid but its just my 2 cents. Mentally I think track and field can be tough. Hearing about each school's superstar and records can be kinda intimidating sometimes. I think it would be the hardest for runners, but for me there is sometimes a large sense of doubt when I first see the other team's throwers. I'm pretty small for my sport (5'9", 165 lbs@ 9%bf) as a junoir in high school. I can't realy on my weight to move the shot and disc, I have to have perfect technique in order to win. Most of the guys I compete against are 6'2" 250 lb mosters and it is pretty intimidating when the coach points them out and says all you have to do is beat them. As for physically, I havnt tried every single sport but I would say wrestling is the hardest thing I've ever done.

I can agree..with that. As it hit me my first 2yrs of track (frsh/Soph)yrs when i threw varsity.

lifter

gareth_pratt
11-19-2002, 07:32 AM
rugby league is tough

Fat Boy
11-19-2002, 03:56 PM
yeah rugby league is about as tough as scratching your ass, what part of it is tough? havign to put up with the complete tossers that play the game?

pazza
11-20-2002, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by Fat Boy
yeah rugby league is about as tough as scratching your ass, what part of it is tough? havign to put up with the complete tossers that play the game?

Yeah as if 80 minutes of straight football isn't tough.

Plus getting hit without all the padding isn't exactly pleasent.
The game is taxing on the heart and muscles. You need endurance to last the game but strength to over power the opposition.
Rugby League is the perfect blend of strength and endurance.

Fat Boy
11-20-2002, 05:32 AM
played for ten years, played against alot of guys now playing in the NRL, also played rugby union for 5 yrs against guys now playign super 12, was playing u/16 rugby league when i was 12, u/21s when i was 14, played my first A grade game of rugby union when i was 17. Never found the game to be overly tough or hard, this is my opinion.

pazza
11-20-2002, 12:51 PM
You are so full of ****!

Like which players in the nrl?

Fat Boy
11-20-2002, 06:36 PM
ok lets see, who have i played against that is now playing NRL
PJ Marsh, Josh Hannay, Matt Bowen, Elia Tuqiri, Danny Bampton, just to name a few. played against Steve Kefu, who now plays for the wallabies, am good friends with Ryan Cross who is playign for Sydney City, used to compete against Carl Webb, from the Broncos and Terry Martin from the Raiders.
I also have Two Cousins playing the NRL, one for the Cowboys one for the Knights.
Team sports are just not my thing, i prefer individual sports.

taked0wn
11-21-2002, 03:37 PM
see attached

Fat Boy
11-21-2002, 04:22 PM
heard a great story regarding wrestlign today and there cutting techniques,
World Champs this year, a Georgian Guy had about 25 layers of clothes on, unable to move almost dead beign carried around the mats to sweat off the weight, when he stopped and said he coudlnt go anymore, his coach literally kicked him the ass as hard as he coudl and made him keep going.
Another guy went from 73kg down to 60 kg and by the day of the final was back up to 69kg.
mate who was telling me this told me about how he once lost 5kg in 36hrs which was the most he had ever lost in short time.

jonnyboy92110
11-27-2002, 10:50 AM
rugby.

maybe its less intense for the backs, but if your playing in the pack, you have to be

1) big
2) strong
3) fast
4) endurant as all hell.

running hard for 90 minutes is hard as ****. running hard for 90 minutes while throwing people around and getting the **** knocked out of you . . . priceless.

jp

turboman
11-29-2002, 10:58 AM
You guys are missing the question. It's not which sport is considered most MANLY. It's which sport is toughest. Hell I was a varsity wrestler when I was 14. Won 2nd in state at 15. Played varsity football at 15. Easy sports.

Just cause you get bruised doesn't make it hard.

Come spend a day with me doing one of my regular work outs. I'm not even talking racing just a simple workout. I'd probably have to rush half of you to the hospital.

I can't think of any sport harder then adventure racing(eco challenge type racing). 8 days of running, hiking, climbing, and kayaking with no sleep. Hell I don't think I could do it and I'll do just about anything.

OK enough trash talk. Later

CerealKiller
11-30-2002, 03:39 AM
Dwarf tossing especially if you're the dwarf.

Luke530
11-30-2002, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by turboman
You guys are missing the question. It's not which sport is considered most MANLY. It's which sport is toughest. Hell I was a varsity wrestler when I was 14. Won 2nd in state at 15. Played varsity football at 15. Easy sports.

Just cause you get bruised doesn't make it hard.

Come spend a day with me doing one of my regular work outs. I'm not even talking racing just a simple workout. I'd probably have to rush half of you to the hospital.

I can't think of any sport harder then adventure racing(eco challenge type racing). 8 days of running, hiking, climbing, and kayaking with no sleep. Hell I don't think I could do it and I'll do just about anything.

OK enough trash talk. Later

I agree... that's why I said football and wrestling aren't ****... if do a triathalon, or even a bike rice... wrestling will basically be a pussy sport... so will most others... that's why I put rowing to be one of the harder sports... especially longer distance races... and practices are pretty ****ing bad too...

dez\null
11-30-2002, 09:05 AM
I agree... that's why I said football and wrestling aren't ****... if do a triathalon, or even a bike rice... wrestling will basically be a pussy sport... so will most others... that's why I put rowing to be one of the harder sports... especially longer distance races... and practices are pretty ****ing bad too...

2 differant styles of training

most would say wrestling is the toughest sport others say cross country. 2 completely differant things

i swear you put any of those into a training room full of wrestlers they will drop.

X_DS~Grrrr...
11-30-2002, 10:40 AM
a marathon.

Luke530
11-30-2002, 11:24 AM
2 differant styles of training

most would say wrestling is the toughest sport others say cross country. 2 completely differant things

i swear you put any of those into a training room full of wrestlers they will drop.

you are right... but now get a wrestler to do a real true endurance sport, and he would cry before he finished... get someone who has some hella good endurance, and some balls and he could wrestle... would he be good, no, why? because he would probably be small, but he could take it... a wrestler could not.

jimsp
11-30-2002, 12:17 PM
the years that i wrestled we had cross country kids on the team. they all ended up quiting and i think jus ended up doin winter track. But u guys are right i made it through the wrestling season but i dont think i would be able to run cross country cuz i hate running long distance. But on the other had take one of those endurance kids and see if they finish the race after only eating a granola bar all day and after losing like 10 pounds in a week or two.

dez\null
11-30-2002, 12:41 PM
you are right... but now get a wrestler to do a real true endurance sport, and he would cry before he finished... get someone who has some hella good endurance, and some balls and he could wrestle... would he be good, no, why? because he would probably be small, but he could take it... a wrestler could not.

I did cross country for a season.
is hard. But not that hard.

Your theory was flawed.

kyle23
11-30-2002, 04:08 PM
i am glad wrestling does get respect, everywhere i go people think soccor and basketball are the most challenging sports but in my opinion it is wrestling, having a match with someone who is exactly equal in skill and in strength aswell as speed and endurance. it is something unbelievable! i think strong man competions would be extremly challenging aswell

britrugger8
12-02-2002, 03:07 PM
The most demanding sport is most deffinately rugby, followed closely by wrestling

turboman
12-03-2002, 11:15 AM

Exactly no one ever said wether being good at a sport counted. Hell I suck so bad at Basketball but I could play all dam day so being good has nothing to do with it.

But no one can just wake up and say "Hey today I'm gonna do an Ironman". It takes at least a year of training to even finish which doesn't include actually being good at it.

Fact is I could play any of the sports mentioned even with some degree of success in most. Can anyone say the same?

And from what I remember of Highschool cross coutry they ran at most 10 miles. I could be wrong. But that's a training run for me pussy ****! Hell I swim further then most people run. So until you can hang with the endurance athletes none of these sports are ****.

I still say adventure racing is the hardest sport.

FLAME ON :D

fitgrrl
12-03-2002, 11:44 AM
Endurance and ultra-endurance sports are the toughest. Not just talking competition but also the training and the mental endurance it takes to make it through that.

But I also agree with the people who say it depends on the person. A lot on what their genetics are. Little ectomorphs can repond well to that type of training and go out there and run all day but put them in a power sport like wrestling and it would be extremely hard for them to train and compete.

Not putting down wrestling though. I've never done it of course but I've dated guys who have and I have seen it can be hellish as well.

FuriousGeorge
12-03-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by britrugger8

right on man, i've played just about every sport competitively and i'd have to say rugby because i've never wrestled competive b4. after a hard rugby game you're cooked.

daveymeat
12-07-2002, 06:32 PM
It all depends on how hard that person makes it, if that person takes the training to the next level for whatever sport it may be, it will be just as hard as any other sport where that person took it to that same level.

K (same)
12-10-2002, 01:14 PM
Muay Thai kickboxing.

turboman
12-13-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by daveymeat
It all depends on how hard that person makes it, if that person takes the training to the next level for whatever sport it may be, it will be just as hard as any other sport where that person took it to that same level.

Yeah I'll agree with that. I guess in other sports I played I didn't have to push as hard or didn't know how hard I could push. Once getting into endurance sports I couldn't slack off or go half assed. So I had to push myself harder then I ever thought possible and sometimes take it to levels were I thought I was for sure gonna break down. But Yeah I think there are people in other sports that can push themselves that hard.

CROWLER
12-13-2002, 08:51 PM

HE HE triathlons and marathons are pussy **** compared to bike road racing.

CROWLER
12-13-2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Valcore
Ultra triathlon would be one of the toughest. A completion time of 10 hours is an awesome time for this.

Once again bike racing is MUCH tougher.

CROWLER
12-13-2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by turboman
As a hopeful Ironman I will say it is the toughest sport I know of. I haven't done an Ironman length distance yet but I'm almost ready to do it. Next summer I will do my first one. And I hope for a 10 hour finish. I think I'm ready. My bike is awesome my swim is pretty good, running is questionable at this point. There is no one cheering you on, no big pay day, just your mental toughness telling you to fight the pain and finish.

Ultra distance running is just insane. They must have a really high amount of injuries and a very short running career.

Adventure racing is tough to. How they can stay up for days at a time is beyond me. I really need my sleep so I doubt I will ever do one of these. :)

Once again bike racing is MUCH MUCH MUCH tougher.

Luke530
12-13-2002, 09:00 PM
try rowing... and you will cry...

Iv'e done bike racing... I just get bored of the length of it... it's not too bad... triathalons would be 3x as hard...

CROWLER
12-13-2002, 09:02 PM
I have done bike road racing and triathlons on the national level done HS football and wrestling and college boxing and rowing.

I have never done muay thai b8t would say it is probably the toughest even though I have never done it, multi day road racing would be next with wrestling and boxing probably tied for next toughest with rowing coming next.

BTW to all the guys saying triathlon of all of the above they are about the easiest and that is the one I still compete in.

Last season I took second place in a southeast Coca Cola 12 race series competition in my division.

CROWLER
12-13-2002, 09:11 PM
try rowing... and you will cry...

Iv'e done bike racing... I just get bored of the length of it... it's not too bad... triathalons would be 3x as hard...

You have never done a triathlon and yet you state that it would be 3xs as hard as a bike race. Okkkkkkkkkkayyyy

BTW you say you got bored bike racing but NOT rowing. I see you are in Chicago I would be more than happy to put you in contact with a couple guys at the Illini Bicycle Racing Club.

Luke just PM me and I will set it up. :)

I bet you can't last one hour on a training ride let alone make the first circuit of an actual race.

GooMan
12-14-2002, 09:51 AM
I've wrested and played football but the most demanding sport I have participated in is Motocross. I know what most are thinking.....I used to think the same until I got into the sport. Nothing more demaning than hard charging 5 or more laps on a national track. I believe there was a study done that support this but don't remember its location. Will search out and post if I can find it.

CROWLER
12-14-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by GooMan
I've wrested and played football but the most demanding sport I have participated in is Motocross. I know what most are thinking.....I used to think the same until I got into the sport. Nothing more demaning than hard charging 5 or more laps on a national track. I believe there was a study done that support this but don't remember its location. Will search out and post if I can find it.

Well that is a NEW one on me. Never done it so I honestly have NO idea.