PDA

View Full Version : grits...good or bad?

Swole13
07-15-2005, 05:21 AM
i'm bulking so the extra carbs won't hurt but is this a good carb????

i never had grits in a long time and i used to like them in my eggs so i wanted to try some scrambled eggs, grits, and cheese together.

would having this every other day or so be okay????

or would putting another carb source in like oats be better. i'm just not sure how oats and scrambled eggs would taste. anyone tried that?

ANSKEL
07-15-2005, 06:48 AM
Just an educated guess...

I would think grits would not be that bad for what you are looking for; carbs with a reasonably low glycemic index.

From a purely nutrient density standpoint, oats would probably be better. I would think it would have more fiber and more vitamins/minerals.

For what you are doing, I think grits would be okay. And as a southern boy and long-time grits lover, I agree that grits will taste better with scrambled eggs!

BackInTheJox
07-15-2005, 07:31 AM
I'd make sure (as with all foods) that they aren't the "Instant" kind.

Incidentally, I've never had grits before. What do they taste like?

mr_salty
07-15-2005, 07:39 AM
Ya, I don't think theres too much to grits ... by themself (carbs. or cals). Oats of course would be way better ... I would think. I love grits also but have stayed away from them because as a kid (southern boy also) I always liked them with a lot of butter and don't know if I could do it without it now. With my diet I have to stay with the oatmeal ... plus with those complex carbs. and fiber it make me feel fuller longer ... IMO

Sixpack
07-15-2005, 08:05 AM
Much better options available

svelt4
08-12-2005, 06:37 AM
1/2 grits and 1/2 oat bran is a good combo for alternative to oatmeal.

bubba g
08-12-2005, 06:38 AM
Ronnie Colman eats good ol grits every day.. I think several times a day....

maxiw
08-12-2005, 06:45 AM
Ronnie Colman eats good ol grits every day.. I think several times a day....
He also eat a lot of Fries from what I hear.

bubba g
08-12-2005, 07:09 AM
He also eat a lot of Fries from what I hear.

He eats a lot of good ol fries, good ol grits, and good ole chicken, and good ole steak...... I think he eats the same meals every day....

CourtneyD
08-12-2005, 07:59 AM
He also "eats" a lot of chemicals, so you may not want to structure your diet after his...

mr_salty
08-12-2005, 08:30 AM
He also "eats" a lot of chemicals, so you may not want to structure your diet after his...

True ... very true ....