PDA

View Full Version : Adding a few pounds....

deleet
07-14-2005, 02:23 PM
Sorry if this is the inappropriate section for this question. What is a simple healthy way of adding about 10lbs or so. My girlfriend would like to add just a few pounds as she is a little on the skinny side(5'4" 104lbs). She has a very fast metabolism and she really doesn't do much excersise. Will weight gain shakes and simple excersises work?? How about adding more Protein to her diet? TIA!

monkeydan
07-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Unless she starts providing some sort of stimulus for the muscles to grow, any weight she puts on will be mostly fat, whether the extra calories come from carbs, protein or fat. But most girls don't eat enough protein anyway, so the extra protein might provide enough calories to gain some weight.

To begin with, a simple 'functional' bodyweight exercise program should do the trick, just bring calories up to about 10% over maintenance and keep adding calories if she doesn't put on any weight. But progressive resistance is the key to building muscle so it might not take too long before she will have to do more challenging workouts if she wants to keep gaining. She will of course have to keep working out once she actualy puts the weight on, or she'll lose it.

Hope this helps a little.

rockstarsar
07-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Yup, from March 5-June 6 I went from 85 lbs to 95 lbs and since I was a beginner, I gained 7 pounds of lean mass between early April and early June while only gaining 5 lbs in that timespan.

TAKE ADVANTAGE of her newbie gains. It allows for great transformation if you really work at it.

DonDarko
07-14-2005, 03:03 PM
Sorry if this is the inappropriate section for this question. What is a simple healthy way of adding about 10lbs or so. My girlfriend would like to add just a few pounds as she is a little on the skinny side(5'4" 104lbs). She has a very fast metabolism and she really doesn't do much excersise. Will weight gain shakes and simple excersises work?? How about adding more Protein to her diet? TIA!

Doing basic body weight exercises should help her gain at least some muscle from the beginning. But to be honest with you, having had a girlfriend in the past who had a similar problem, she may not mind gaining a little fat as well. I do not know her body fat % but at that height and weight it sounds like it would even be healthy to perhaps gain a little. How is her nutrition normally? Friends in the past who were that skinny had poor nutrition. If she does the body weight routine with great nutrition that could be all it takes right there.

deleet
07-14-2005, 03:35 PM
Doing basic body weight exercises should help her gain at least some muscle from the beginning. But to be honest with you, having had a girlfriend in the past who had a similar problem, she may not mind gaining a little fat as well. I do not know her body fat % but at that height and weight it sounds like it would even be healthy to perhaps gain a little. How is her nutrition normally? Friends in the past who were that skinny had poor nutrition. If she does the body weight routine with great nutrition that could be all it takes right there.

It's not really a problem but I think it's getting close. No eating disorders thankfully. She would just like to gain a few pounds back. Been some stress in her life lately and she hasn't been eating the best. Lots of fast food unfortunately. I'm trying to get her to eat healthier and just do some simple excerises, which will happen I'm sure. I think that's all it might take myself.