PDA

View Full Version : Making Pizza, Burgers, Etc more healthy...

gijoe985
10-28-2007, 02:55 PM
Well I have to admit that I love certain foods. Pizza is a food group in my book. I love Pizza. I like the occasional burger. Or getting Mexican food. I also love brats. Talk about high in fat...

Does anyone have any good recipes for making these foods, and other cheat foods, but by using more healthy ingredients? I tried making a pizza out of fat free cheese and by using Canadian bacon instead of my usually pepperoni. It tasted something like pizza. I can easily see how to turn a burger into a healthier alternative.

What about brats? There's like no way to avoid the fat... Maybe if I really wanted one I'd just plan on eating fat free the rest of the day. I can't think of any other alternative.

If anyone has any other recipes of "almost cheats," I'd love to hear those as well.

scoch
10-28-2007, 03:09 PM
Pizza- Pita Bread + FF Cheese + Deli Meat

Burger- Lean Ground Beef/Turkey + Whole Wheat Bread/Burger Bun + BBQ Sauce

Bratwurst: Fat doesnt make you fat :) But if you need a sausage fix, Chicken/Turkey Sausages usually do the trick.

Aindreas
10-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Han's Organic Chicken Brats. 140 cals, 16g protein per sausage. I love 'em with some mustard and sauerkraut.

gijoe985
10-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Han's Organic Chicken Brats. 140 cals, 16g protein per sausage. I love 'em with some mustard and sauerkraut.

Now that sounds AWESOME!!!!!!!! Where can you get them? Safeway, Kroger/Fred Meyer, Albertsons? I'm pretty sure I've never seen them before.

Aindreas
10-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Now that sounds AWESOME!!!!!!!! Where can you get them? Safeway, Kroger/Fred Meyer, Albertsons? I'm pretty sure I've never seen them before.

I get them at an organic grocery called Earthfare, we don't have any of those other places around here. I dunno who else sells them, but you might be able to find retailers on their site.

MrSinister
10-28-2007, 04:38 PM
i make pizza myself, it is vegetarian though.
use low fat cheese.. whole thing is large size and has about 600calories.. ill take a picture of my next one and show.. the most calories comes from the carbs in the flour to make the base.
You can use pita bread, but that just doesnt deliver for me.

gijoe985
10-28-2007, 05:20 PM
You can use pita bread, but that just doesnt deliver for me.

Amen to that. 600 is pretty low. I'd probably go with Canadian bacon. I like the meat and it is pretty lean. Or even do a chicken pizza. I love chicken pizzas from papa murphy's.

Is low fat mozz. readily available. I always see either fat free or normal...

MrSinister
10-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Amen to that. 600 is pretty low. I'd probably go with Canadian bacon. I like the meat and it is pretty lean. Or even do a chicken pizza. I love chicken pizzas from papa murphy's.

Is low fat mozz. readily available. I always see either fat free or normal...

u can get both here.. 25% less fat or 50% less..
honestly, 25 would be more ideal but its shocking for cooking, the **** just doesnt melt and spread!
50 is the best compromise...