PDA

View Full Version : Is this safe or healthy??

Dancognito
07-13-2005, 05:23 AM
My cardiologist recommended that I lose some fat, mostly the loose skin around my midsection. I weigh 185, and lift about 4 nights during the week plus running. She recommended that if I want to lose the actual body fat and not just lower my weight number and retain that extra skin/fat then i should only have one meal of carbs a day. She said I can eat everything else in a moderate way every 3 hours, but limit myself to one meal of carbs a day. The meal of carbs would obviously be a normal serving size and not a 7 lb bucket of pasta.

This doesnt sound safe or right to me, how can my body feed off one meal of carbs a day? Considering the fact I am lifting at night, wont this all catch up with me soon and cause me to faint or pass out. I mean carbs are the energy for yor body, I dont see how denying my body energy can possibly be safe for me. Im afraid im going to collapse when im lifting. My plan would be to have my carb meal at around 1 oclock ( thats my lunch time at work) I would be a turkey/letuce/tomato sandwich on wheat bread, and left at around 730, meaning that my snacks between 1 and 730 would consist of just protein.

For the most part the carbs that I do eat now are all healthy and not loaded with junk, but I suppose I'll take her advice for a month and see how it goes. Anyone with any advice? Thanks

jtb83
07-13-2005, 06:17 AM
She was right about losing the fat around the mid section. Fat around that area is more dangerous than say if you had fat legs, hence the apple and the pear shape. I don't think she was right about the one carb meal a day though. I know she's a doctor, but her field is cardiology and not nutrition/weight loss. I would go back and challenge her on it and see what she says, but don't go and do something else without consulting her. There may be more to the story that she didn't say.

Tyciol
07-13-2005, 06:28 AM
Don't listen to crap diets like that. You need carbohydrates to fuel your muscles and help digest your protein. Unless you're very carb sensitive it shouldn't be a problem, focus on calories more.

Be-Be
07-13-2005, 06:37 AM
Eating certain foods or certain combinations of food are signs of a fad diet. You can't spot lose fat or make your skin more elastic by eating specific foods or combinations of food. Your loose skin will either tighten up on its own or not - a lot of it is genetic. Just like some pregnant women get their tummies back and some don't.

I agree with jtb - double check with her to clarify what she meant and find out if there was something else going on. Then get a second opinion from a registered nutritionist. I have to wonder if this was a diet she was on that (for whatever reason) worked for her and now she is passing it along.

Unfortunately, a lot of people give credence to titles and status when that person's credintials may or may not be applicable to the "expert" advice being given.

Dancognito
07-13-2005, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the relplies. Basically she said to limit my carb intake to once a day, and also to slightly moderate the good food I eat. She said its ok to have egg yolks, though I prefer just egg whites. She said that my body will store the carbs as fat, since the body will only burn what it needs to burn. I assumed that ones metabolism would burn pretty much anything you put in it in the mornings since your body will be up for next 15 hours or so.

The midsection fat I have had always been a problem for me and it never seams to go away. Ive successfully added muscle to my body but that is the only section that isnt changing. Ive done tons of running in the past and had a very strict diet and i manage to lose weight lbs wise, but not BF% wise. It seams that not matter what I do, the actual fat doesnt go away.

Be-Be
07-13-2005, 06:54 AM
Okay, the carbs one time a day is bogus if that's her "theory". In fact, its probably better to spread them out (as long as they are healthy carbs) so that your body can use them as it goes instead of storing the excess from the one meal as fat. In general, the more regular your body receives its necessary nutrients, the more effectively it will use them.

I'll be interested to see what other people say.

I have been everywhere from a starving anorexic to 100 pounds overweight and I always have a little pooch on my abs. Some bodies are just made that way.

whiplash
07-13-2005, 07:14 AM
eat clean as possible.

bcmurph07
07-13-2005, 07:36 AM
Eating certain foods or certain combinations of food are signs of a fad diet.

He's right i'd stay away from that diet, and like everyone is saying, I know she is a doctor. But atkins was a doctor as well and he's caused a bunch of heart attacks with his recommended his diet.

Dancognito
07-13-2005, 07:57 AM
Your right, I think some people just have genetics that make their mid section like that. No sense in depriving myself from energy that I need. I think im going to consult a nutritionist and get their opinion, and in the mean time just stick with alot of high intensity running.

Be-Be
07-13-2005, 08:08 AM
He's right i'd stay away from that diet, and like everyone is saying, I know she is a doctor. But atkins was a doctor as well and he's caused a bunch of heart attacks with his recommended his diet.
Her. I'm a girl.

Dancognito
07-13-2005, 08:12 AM
My apologies

filo01
07-13-2005, 08:23 AM
i'm unsure of how much you want to lose and how much muscle you want to keep but one besic rule my diatition has been teaching me (he makes my meal plans :)..) high carbs during the day and low carbs at night :0...

Dancognito
07-13-2005, 09:24 AM
Honesty, I dont know how much I want to lose...I guess until the mid section is gone or signifcantly smaller I suppose. If I had to give you a number I suppose it would be somewhere between 10-15 lbs of fat.

2BShredded
07-13-2005, 10:41 AM
You should find out what type of carbs your doctor is referring to. Is she only refering to complex carbs like rice, pasta, potatoes, oats, etc. If fruits and vegetables are ok to eat, they SHOULD be, then you could easily get around 150-200 grams of carbs per day with the ability to eat complex carbs only once per day. On non-lifting days I consume very little if any complex carbs. On lifting days I consume complex carbs at 3-4 meals during the day, but I have limited complex carbs suring lifting days and have not suffered any strength loss.

On another note, make sure you are getting enough good fats in your diet. Not enough fats could reduce your fat burning potential.

bkman4
07-13-2005, 10:46 AM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=469560

That should be all you need. Ask questions there if you have any.

Polak55
07-13-2005, 10:47 AM
Speak with your doctor about any issues or such.

Doctors have up to 13 years training, their advice is much more important then your typical bb.com poster.

Be-Be
07-13-2005, 02:13 PM

Doctors have up to 13 years training, their advice is much more important then your typical bb.com poster.

Except that some doctors are still giving out information from 30 years ago when they go their degrees. If it's not their speciality or hobby, they probably don't have time to keep up on the latest and greatest.

bkman4
07-13-2005, 03:44 PM

Typical, yes.

psinide
07-13-2005, 05:04 PM
I think this is your doctor's advice for your average person who needs to loose some weight that thinks "I had fruit for breakfast, fruitloops count!"...

corple
07-13-2005, 05:31 PM

id listen to free advice on bb.com, before id pay a doctor, so he can fill out a perscription for me, and send me to therapy......bb.com4life