PDA

View Full Version : Fruits !!!

fritzkickass
10-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Which fruits should I stay away from and what fruits are the best ?

rhollan
10-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Well, green veggies are better sources of complex carbohydrates than fruits, which are mostly simple carbs, and sugar.

That said, as long as you stay within your macros (levels of carbs, protein, and fats; and total carories) in a day, fruits are healthy: lots of vitamins.

An orange is better than a glass of O.J., and apples can be filling.

Stay away from dried fruits: they are very concentrated in sugar.

The general advice is to eat more carbs when expending energy (because of the immediate need), and less when resting (before bed time), so I tend to have a carb-heavy breakfast and mid-morning snack, and more protein later in the day. Always a protein shake after working out. But, the most important thing is to fit carbs into your macro budget.

Fruits have a higher glycemic index than complex carbs from veggies, so they spike insulin, which leads to fat storage if you eat more than you can burn. But, they also have fiber, which is good for your digestion (provided you drink lots of water).

The general rule is some protein, carbs, and (healthy) fat with each small meal (5-6 per day), and more carbs and high-glycemic index carbs when you are more active.

Don't eat too many high glycemic index carbs before a fat-burning cardio workout, since the point is to burn fat.

Personally, I like apples, oranges, bananas, and tomatoes (which are technically a fruit).

runningback666
10-25-2007, 11:33 AM
good answer rhollan

in10city
10-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Which fruits should I stay away from and what fruits are the best ?
Some good choices ...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY/is_7_22/ai_n6170379

PICKIN' FRUIT
Use the charts below to help you pick the best fruit for the job. If
you're worried about fructose spilling over to fat, try a citrate
supplement along with your fruit choice, such as creatine citrate or
calcium citrate. It helps direct fructose toward glycogen production and
away from fat.

PREWORKOUT
These fruits provide higher fructose than glucose for sustained fuel
that won't block fat burning. Eat one or two servings.

FRUIT TOTAL SUGARS* FRUCTOSE* GLUCOSE*

Pear (1 medium) 16 11 5
Watermelon (1 wedge) 18 12 6
Apple (1 medium) 14 9 5
Cantaloupe (1/2 melon) 22 12 10
Grapes (1 cup) 24 13 11
Strawberries (2 cups) 14 8 6
Raspberries (2 cups) 10 6 4

MORNING
These fruits provide equal or nearly equal fructose and glucose to
restock liver and muscle glycogen to help halt muscle breakdown. Eat two
or three servings.

Pineapple (1 cup diced) 13 7 6
Honeydew melon (1 wedge) 13 7 6
Orange (1 medium) 12 6 6
Banana (1 medium) 18 9 9
Blueberries (1 cup) 14 7 7
Nectarine (1 medium) 10 5 5
Kiwi fruit (2 medium) 12 6 6

POSTWORKOUT
These fruits provide more glucose than fructose for restocking muscle
glycogen and enhancing muscle growth. (The last five fruits from the
morning fruit category are also decent choices postworkout, for their
ability to fill glycogen stores.) Eat one or two servings along with
white bread, baked potatoes or a carb drink.

Cherries (1 cup) 14 6 8
Peach (1 medium) 8 3 5

The Solution
10-25-2007, 11:42 AM
Some good choices ...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY/is_7_22/ai_n6170379

they day i get rid of that out of my sig someone asks about fruits

eat a variety of fruits they are great

berries pack a ton of anti-oxidents so dont be afraid to take those down they go great in oatmeal and in ur shakes for PWO

Apples,Oranges are staples to have carrying aroudn with you incase u get in a jam pair it with a whole wheat sandwicha nd ur good to go

GarettM
10-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Well, green veggies are better sources of complex carbohydrates than fruits, which are mostly simple carbs, and sugar.

That said, as long as you stay within your macros (levels of carbs, protein, and fats; and total carories) in a day, fruits are healthy: lots of vitamins.

An orange is better than a glass of O.J., and apples can be filling.

Stay away from dried fruits: they are very concentrated in sugar.

The general advice is to eat more carbs when expending energy (because of the immediate need), and less when resting (before bed time), so I tend to have a carb-heavy breakfast and mid-morning snack, and more protein later in the day. Always a protein shake after working out. But, the most important thing is to fit carbs into your macro budget.

Fruits have a higher glycemic index than complex carbs from veggies, so they spike insulin, which leads to fat storage if you eat more than you can burn. But, they also have fiber, which is good for your digestion (provided you drink lots of water).

The general rule is some protein, carbs, and (healthy) fat with each small meal (5-6 per day), and more carbs and high-glycemic index carbs when you are more active.

Don't eat too many high glycemic index carbs before a fat-burning cardio workout, since the point is to burn fat.

Personally, I like apples, oranges, bananas, and tomatoes (which are technically a fruit).

x2 repped

fritzkickass
10-25-2007, 03:22 PM
thanks all for your quick responses

oaks
10-25-2007, 04:39 PM
jeasus christ they are fruits we're talkin about...fruits arent bad for u haha, people are sooo anal these days haha. this is crackin me up. i never thought id see the day where people started avoiding fruits, of all foods.........

in10city
10-25-2007, 04:42 PM
jeasus christ they are fruits we're talkin about...fruits arent bad for u haha, people are sooo anal these days haha. this is crackin me up. i never thought id see the day where people started avoiding fruits, of all foods.........
I guess you haven't heard about all of the Black Widow spiders showing up in bunches of grapes :eek: (no joke)

oaks
10-25-2007, 04:49 PM
I guess you haven't heard about all of the Black Widow spiders showing up in bunches of grapes :eek: (no joke)

jeas, u know what, i havent...im definitley outta the loop here haha