PDA

View Full Version : It sure is a good thing we had WWII

PuMpEd~FrEaK
07-07-2005, 09:09 PM
i was reading a thread on "what event in history would you change" and people wanted to stop WWII from happening but imagine what life would be like if hitler never came to power and tried to invade the world. no computers, no penicillin (maybe), no nuclear reactors, no powerful engines, no morphine (maybe), no plastic surgery, no jet engines, no advanced rockets, no public school system (though that i wouldnt miss), no radar, we would still be in the thirties, wow, life would suck!

The_Champ01
07-07-2005, 09:14 PM
i was reading a thread on "what event in history would you change" and people wanted to stop WWII from happening but imagine what life would be like if hitler never came to power and tried to invade the world. no computers, no penicillin (maybe), no nuclear reactors, no powerful engines, no morphine (maybe), no plastic surgery, no jet engines, no advanced rockets, no public school system (though that i wouldnt miss), no radar, we would still be in the thirties, wow, life would suck!

We might even be more advanced if WW2 didn't occur...

JoeDirtBody
07-07-2005, 09:16 PM
true^^^

PuMpEd~FrEaK
07-07-2005, 09:17 PM

how do you figure that?

irpker
07-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Conflicts lead to rapid technological change because of extra resources and necessity.

MarlboroMan
07-07-2005, 09:24 PM
during WWII maybe they killed people who would have given birth to smart people like einstien or some****, why bother thinking about it, it happend, here we are.

PuMpEd~FrEaK
07-07-2005, 09:26 PM
Conflicts lead to rapid technological change because of extra resources and necessity.

right on the money.

The_Champ01
07-07-2005, 09:27 PM

Only in things that will assist the war effort...

PuMpEd~FrEaK
07-07-2005, 09:27 PM
during WWII maybe they killed people who would have given birth to smart people like einstien or some****, why bother thinking about it, it happend, here we are.

yeah i feel sorry for yah. the smart people that were suppose to have you got killed, now look what happened....

JoeDirtBody
07-07-2005, 09:32 PM
saying its a good thing that all those people died is BS. cmon u seriously think we wouldnt have figured out all that other stuff eventually?

and dont give me that "greater good" BS.

PuMpEd~FrEaK
07-07-2005, 09:35 PM
saying its a good thing that all those people died is BS. cmon u seriously think we wouldnt have figured out all that other stuff eventually?

and dont give me that "greater good" BS.

no, its bad the ppl died, good thing we had the war though. and seriously it we would have figured all that stuff out eventually, in like 500 years....

M1911A1
07-07-2005, 09:47 PM
Only in things that will assist the war effort...

And that includes such areas as medical techniques and supplies, clothing materials, metallurgy, computer technology, explosives engineering, construction, areodynamics, engine and vehicle technology, and innumerable other things.

Kind of a long list, really.

Name one major area that would not be involved in a war effort, come to think of it.

PuMpEd~FrEaK
07-07-2005, 09:49 PM
And that includes such areas as medical techniques and supplies, clothing materials, metallurgy, computer technology, explosives engineering, construction, areodynamics, engine and vehicle technology, and innumerable other things.

Name one major area that would not be involved in a war effort, come to think of it.

good thing your smart grandparents survived, lol

KhanPaulsen
07-07-2005, 10:05 PM
Kind of a mock-quote, and I can't remember the author, but: "Education is one step ahead of catastrophe."

Wars further technology in EVERY field. There is no way we would be more advanced without it.

The_Champ01
07-07-2005, 10:19 PM

Yeah major technological break throughs in those fields never happen outside a war timeframe... :rolleyes:

PuMpEd~FrEaK
07-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Yeah major technological break throughs in those fields never happen outside a war timeframe... :rolleyes:

it COULD happen, it just never has...

The_Champ01
07-07-2005, 10:30 PM
it COULD happen, it just never has...

allrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight einstein... :rolleyes:

PuMpEd~FrEaK
07-07-2005, 10:34 PM
allrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight einstein... :rolleyes:

*observes patient, laid back in chair, eyes rolled up into the back of his head* "As i thought, he is brain dead."

agcrisco
07-07-2005, 10:35 PM

I would suggest reading up on what America accomplished during this time....

The_Champ01
07-07-2005, 10:37 PM
*observes patient, laid back in chair, eyes rolled up into the back of his head* "As i thought, he is brain dead."

Typical of an arm chair historian that doesn't know the difference between his pen and his dick...

The_Champ01
07-07-2005, 10:41 PM
I would suggest reading up on what America accomplished during this time....

I would suggest you open an atlas and look further beyond your borders and realise there’s a whole world of other countries out there that have produced many great inventors in peaceful times…

JoeDirtBody
07-07-2005, 10:43 PM
YAY!!! THE WAR IN IRAQ IS SECRETLY A GOOD THING.

seriously, whats the war in iraq gonna help us with? what did desert storm do? vietnam?

the reason WWII brought so much technology is because that field hadnt really been tapped yet.

JoeDirtBody
07-07-2005, 10:44 PM
I would suggest you open an atlas and look further beyond your borders and realise there’s a whole world of other countries out there that have produced many great inventors in peaceful times…

like all the great swiss army products :D (serious)

ironman1964bc
07-07-2005, 10:46 PM
WWII certainly advanced technology, but the price was 50 million dead, the rise of Russia as a world power, and the excuse to tax our income which started during the war and remained after. There was very little tax on income before the war, in fact, lower and middle class payed close to nothing.

Also, how much money was spent in the cold war with Russia, along with the Korean and Vietnam "police actions". The policy to ally with Russia during WWII has certainly cost us much.

temporary
07-07-2005, 10:52 PM
WWII certainly advanced technology, but the price was 50 million dead, the rise of Russia as a world power, and the excuse to tax our income which started during the war and remained after. There was very little tax on income before the war, in fact, lower and middle class payed close to nothing.

Also, how much money was spent in the cold war with Russia, along with the Korean and Vietnam "police actions". The policy to ally with Russia during WWII has certainly cost us much.

Yeaup. I would gladly give up my computer and nuclear reactor to bring back all the people who died in WWII.

Debaser
07-07-2005, 11:16 PM
Saying you're glad we had the war is rather disgusting. Yes, we had some great technological advances because of war. One that comes to mind is the internet which was funded by the DoD. Eventually these things would be invented.

Who knows, maybe we killed the man or woman that cures cancer, cures AIDS, the common cold, establishes world peace, ends poverty...writes a decent sit-com on TV...

I'd rather live in ignorance than live in a world knowing I benefited from millions of the dead and that it was a positive thing.

AntonToo
07-08-2005, 12:05 AM

Wars lead to to economic devastation my friend and first thing that gets cut when economy declines is science research.

irpker
07-08-2005, 12:53 AM
Wars lead to to economic devastation my friend and first thing that gets cut when economy declines is science research.

War doesn't always lead to economic devastation, that is where you are wrong companion of mine. If you don't believe the Cold War (I said conflict, but didn't specify a physical one) produced any gains in science and technology, you are sadly mistaken.

agcrisco
07-08-2005, 01:17 AM

The topic of this thread is the great bi products of ww2. Again, read up on what America created and quit marginalizing the country.

Its gotten to be old hat after these past few years of playing same game with the billions of the envyous types.

Ruthless4Life
07-08-2005, 01:22 AM
No technology is worth a life taken away.

The_Champ01
07-08-2005, 02:27 AM
The topic of this thread is the great bi products of ww2. Again, read up on what America created and quit marginalizing the country.

Its gotten to be old hat after these past few years of playing same game with the billions of the envyous types.

If I was marginalizing anything it was YOU not a COUNTRY, again open an atlas.

Topic was bi products? It looked more like the creator was proclaiming his joy and satisfaction that millions died for some technologies to be advanced. He’s completely wrong, most of those were thought of pre-war and only evolved practically because the war required it doesn't mean they wouldn't have done so if the war/s didn't occur...

JoeDirtBody
07-08-2005, 08:01 AM

r u serious? so u wouldnt mind dieing in the name of technology?

edit: i read this the wrong way. i thought there was a comma after "no"

PuMpEd~FrEaK
07-08-2005, 08:09 AM

oooooooo, SSSSOOOO KKKIIIIINNNNDDD. you must be Jesus

AntonToo
07-08-2005, 08:52 AM
War doesn't always lead to economic devastation

WW2 did.

LatsMakeTheMan
07-08-2005, 09:12 AM
WW2 did.

Depends which country you're talking about. Europe was devastated by the war, but by the time it was over the depression in America had ended.

(Although one of the primary causes of the depression was the debts accumulated by European countries during WW1, so it's true that the wars contributed to the global economic devastation).

AntonToo
07-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Depends which country you're talking about. Europe was devastated by the war, but by the time it was over the depression in America had ended.

(Although one of the primary causes of the depression was the debts accumulated by European countries during WW1, so it's true that the wars contributed to the global economic devastation).

Depression was not caused by debt accumilated by Eropian countries, mostly what lead to collapse, as it should've, private burrowing to invest, called investing on margin, such system cannot be sustained once europian demand for american goods goes down and investment flops. Which is a reason it is no longer legal.

Wotan
07-08-2005, 09:44 AM
If it weren't for WWII, I wouldn't exist. My father's family wouldn't have immigrated from Germany to America after the war due to the poverty, and my father wouldn't have gone back to Germany to study where he did with his University's program and met my mother. Kind of interesting. A lot of people don't exist today because of the war, but I wouldn't exist if it weren't for the war.

AntonToo
07-08-2005, 09:46 AM
If it weren't for WWII, I wouldn't exist. My father's family wouldn't have immigrated from Germany to America after the war due to the poverty, and my father wouldn't have gone back to Germany to study where he did with his University's program and met my mother. Kind of interesting. A lot of people don't exist today because of the war, but I wouldn't exist if it weren't for the war.

Thats a little selfish assesment of WWII's massicare isn't it now?
Trust me you wouldn't miss your life ;)

Wotan
07-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Thats a little selfish assesment of WWII's massicare isn't it now?
Trust me you wouldn't miss your life ;)
I didn't say that it's good we had WWII just so I could exist. I suppose, WWII needed to happen for obvious reasons once the Nazis came to power, but it would have been better if the Nazis never came to power in the first place, thus probably preventing WWII.

LatsMakeTheMan
07-08-2005, 09:57 AM
Depression was not caused by debt accumilated by Eropian countries, mostly what lead to collapse, as it should've, private burrowing to invest, called investing on margin, such system cannot be sustained once europian demand for american goods goes down and investment flops. Which is a reason it is no longer legal.

That's a good point.....although national debts in Europe were probably a contributing factor to demand for American goods going down. International trade also slowed down because of raised tariffs, and many countries adopting a protectionist ideology.

M1911A1
07-08-2005, 10:12 AM

I said nothing of the sort.

I rather hate it when people, unable to argue against my point, pretend that I said something entirely different in order to make a sarcastic comment, don't you?

Technological breakthroughs are accelerated during war. Can you argue this point or can you not?

LatsMakeTheMan
07-08-2005, 10:23 AM
I said nothing of the sort.

I rather hate it when people, unable to argue against my point, pretend that I said something entirely different in order to make a sarcastic comment, don't you?

Technological breakthroughs are accelerated during war. Can you argue this point or can you not?

You're right, bro. New technology is developed at an increased pace during wars, especially World War II. Nuclear power, rocket technology, RADAR, the first computer, various medical techniques and so on were all products of WWII.

JumpyTwoLegs
07-10-2005, 12:59 AM
No doubt espicially if i want to see world war 3 happen its gonna come sooner then if ww2 never happend