PDA

View Full Version : Hindu roomate and Beef - Is he being unreasonable?

HeavyLifta2
07-04-2005, 09:25 PM
Ok well I moved in with my buddy (get along great) and he's Hindu - Now he doesn't eat beef (he's Hindu and believes cows are holy..whatever, it's his belief, doesn't affect me) ...but it actually does. I thought he was cool with eating/cooking beef around him so long as he didn't have any.

But now, he's saying he doesn't want me to even cook beef at our place - I'm an atheist and I'm not a big fan of organized religion, but I usually respect other people's religious convictions...but I'm kinda annoyed that he's now trying to impose his beliefs on me - I mean I'm not religious, but I don't see anything wrong with eating cow, so why should I not eat/cook it in our place because his religion forbids it?

So basically..am I being an *******, or is he being unreasonable? I want to respect his religion, but at the same time, he should respect the fact I'm not hindu and enjoy cow.

Culmination
07-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Ok well I moved in with my buddy (get along great) and he's Hindu - Now he doesn't eat beef (he's Hindu and believes cows are holy..whatever, it's his belief, doesn't affect me) ...but it actually does. I thought he was cool with eating/cooking beef around him so long as he didn't have any.

But now, he's saying he doesn't want me to even cook beef at our place - I'm an atheist and I'm not a big fan of organized religion, but I usually respect other people's religious convictions...but I'm kinda annoyed that he's now trying to impose his beliefs on me - I mean I'm not religious, but I don't see anything wrong with eating cow, so why should I not eat/cook it in our place because his religion forbids it?

So basically..am I being an *******, or is he being unreasonable? I want to respect his religion, but at the same time, he should respect the fact I'm not hindu and enjoy cow.

nah hes being a jerk, he should have gone over this before moving in with you.

Vegan
07-04-2005, 10:28 PM
nah hes being a jerk, he should have gone over this before moving in with you.

Exactly. If he had a problem with you eating beef or cooking it at your place, you should have been notified about this before he allowed you to move on.

If you want to keep him as a friend I suggest you respect his wishes for now and either move out ASAP or simply give up beef. Would you rather have him as a friend or a hamburger?

the willster
07-04-2005, 10:31 PM
eat the hamburger dude. He is being inreasonable.

wade1226
07-04-2005, 10:33 PM
To echo what people have been saying, you're not out of bounds to want to cook/eat beef when he's there. This is something you should have gone over before moving in together, but since he didn't mention it to you, you're not in the wrong. In an effort to ease the trouble, you could try to only cook/eat beef when he's not around, but you shouldn't feel obligated to do so. Good luck.

Debaser
07-05-2005, 01:47 AM

I've known one or two hindus and while they didn't eat beef, they never imposed their beliefs on others. He's being silly...unless you're living in India then you should probably respect his / their beliefs a little more. But I assume you're residing in the US, right?

PowerSwede
07-05-2005, 02:06 AM
Exactly. If he had a problem with you eating beef or cooking it at your place, you should have been notified about this before he allowed you to move on.

If you want to keep him as a friend I suggest you respect his wishes for now and either move out ASAP or simply give up beef. Would you rather have him as a friend or a hamburger?

Hmmm, are you suggesting that he should cook his friend?

If so, i just want to say that cannabalism is underrated!

Vegan
07-05-2005, 02:14 AM
Hmmm, are you suggesting that he should cook his friend?

If so, i just want to say that cannabalism is underrated!

Hah, it does kind of read like that, doesn't it?

Anyway, like everyone else is saying, your friend is in the "wrong", not you. Like I said before, though, if you want to keep him as your friend you should just obey him for now. Chances are that if you go against his wishes, you are just going to ruin your friendship...Mind as well suck it up for now and work on moving out(or giving up beef).

Hartski
07-05-2005, 05:39 AM
Buy a fatted calf and slaughter it in the tub. Start roasting it in the back yard. If he says something, just give him a wide-eyed innocent look and say, "What?"

PowerSwede
07-05-2005, 06:16 AM
Hah, it does kind of read like that, doesn't it?

Anyway, like everyone else is saying, your friend is in the "wrong", not you. Like I said before, though, if you want to keep him as your friend you should just obey him for now. Chances are that if you go against his wishes, you are just going to ruin your friendship...Mind as well suck it up for now and work on moving out(or giving up beef).

Hehe, it sure did. :D

Friend or beef... hmmm...

Beef, because any friend who would make me choose would not be a friend of mine.

I love beef, especially fresh, raw beef.

Vegan
07-05-2005, 06:25 AM
Hehe, it sure did. :D

Friend or beef... hmmm...

Beef, because any friend who would make me choose would not be a friend of mine.

I love beef, especially fresh, raw beef.

Haha, I guess not.

Raw beef? Hah, that sounds so gross(I know, I probably shouldn't knock it until I try it, but that's not going to happen)...Do people actually eat beef raw? If so, hopefully it is from a local farmer or something, so you don't have to worry about it becoming contaminated during all of the processing.

Hartski
07-05-2005, 06:44 AM
Can't say I know of anyone that has ever eaten raw beef, but I've eaten lots of meat that has been dead less than 30 minutes.

Take it off the grill 10 seconds after it stops twitching and tear into it.:D

LatsMakeTheMan
07-05-2005, 06:44 AM
Anyone who tries to stop me from eating meat earns a permanent spot on my **** list.

ironman1964bc
07-05-2005, 06:48 AM
Tell him you are only eating Christian cows.

PowerSwede
07-05-2005, 06:55 AM
Haha, I guess not.

Raw beef? Hah, that sounds so gross(I know, I probably shouldn't knock it until I try it, but that's not going to happen)...Do people actually eat beef raw? If so, hopefully it is from a local farmer or something, so you don't have to worry about it becoming contaminated during all of the processing.

Yeah, i eat it raw if it's fresh, i also eat the hunters slab raw from deer and moose when i have been lucky.

I take it outside, show it the barbecue and then eat it. :D

To be honest i prefer it lightly cooked, for a fairly thick steak that means one minute per side on the barbecue.

Mythos219
07-05-2005, 06:59 AM
In my experience, indians are pretty docile, non-confrontational people. Tell him you think its unreasonbale what he's asking you to do and that he should've mentioned it before you moved in. Then do what you want.

LatsMakeTheMan
07-05-2005, 07:01 AM
I don't really understand why he'd be upset anyway. As long as he's not eating it, what's the problem? Unless you're being a dick and flaunting it in front of him (which it doesn't sound like you are) I don't see where he gets off pushing his ethics on you.

Hartski
07-05-2005, 07:09 AM
I've been known to have a huge pack of beef jerky on my desk when a bunch of Indian foreign nationals are scheduled to come in.:D

LatsMakeTheMan
07-05-2005, 07:10 AM
I've been known to have a huge pack of beef jerky on my desk when a bunch of Indian foreign nationals are scheduled to come in.:D

Beef jerky......is there anything it CAN'T do?

Desahogo
07-05-2005, 07:14 AM
edit: :mad: ^^^ dam latsmaketheman you just killed my 3 seconds of fame, talk about raining on someone's parade

lol hartski since you are busting your balls trying to amuse you and eveyrone has ignored you so far, let me out of pity, acknowledge you.

Crazee_786
07-05-2005, 07:14 AM
dude, the guys a HINDU for crying out loud. he worships 100+ plus gods and worships cows and snakes, and a monkey with 8 arms....can u honestly tell me you take this dickhead seriously?

LatsMakeTheMan
07-05-2005, 07:15 AM
dude, the guys a HINDU for crying out loud. he worships 100+ plus gods and worships cows and snakes, and a monkey with 8 arms....can u honestly tell me you take this dickhead seriously?

lol.....jeez bro....why don't you tell us what you REALLY think?

PowerSwede
07-05-2005, 07:18 AM

I see it clearly, it's, it's your future!

Anger..........Management........Classes....

Dave22reborn
07-05-2005, 08:45 AM
Makes no sense to me, an Indian family work's at the Subway down my street. Also an Indian man and his wife work's at the Quizno's down my street as well.

You have Muslims working at Steak and Fry places, where they have to cook ham, and use bacon.

Think that your roommate is being unreasonable, "demanding" that you stop eating beef???? Hell, next he'll "demand" that you stop reading your bible.

pachovia
07-05-2005, 08:49 AM
Buy a fatted calf and slaughter it in the tub. Start roasting it in the back yard. If he says something, just give him a wide-eyed innocent look and say, "What?"
Nice!

kmac12
07-05-2005, 08:49 AM
Cut off a cow head and put it in his bed.

Then, when he confronts you about it, just laugh and say, "Its part of my religion to cut off cow heads....sorry, you gotta live with it"

LatsMakeTheMan
07-05-2005, 09:24 AM
Makes no sense to me, an Indian family work's at the Subway down my street. Also an Indian man and his wife work's at the Quizno's down my street as well.

You have Muslims working at Steak and Fry places, where they have to cook ham, and use bacon.

Think that your roommate is being unreasonable, "demanding" that you stop eating beef???? Hell, next he'll "demand" that you stop reading your bible.

Hey....that's true! I swear virtually every Subway in my area is owned and operated by people who *look* Indian.

ucrpatel
07-05-2005, 09:34 AM
hahahahha, i'm hindu, and indian, and i understand what he's talking about, but you need to talk to him and tell his ass, that its AMERICA, and people have to learn to deal with each other differences, if he says no beef, his just a moron, because he should have known that if you were not hindu you were going to be eating meat anyhow. so yeah, being unreasonable, just cook that ****. and that's coming from a hindu's mouth.

peace

The Kurgan
07-05-2005, 10:53 AM

You should probably read more than the thread-title before you answer.

Don't you find it nice that this person thought us bodybuilders would be best to answer his query? It warms my heart...

I think you need to talk to him about it, not us. Just be aware that it is HIS house.

Crazee_786
07-05-2005, 07:29 PM
here's your hint to keep this kind of bull**** to yourself next time.

Ratmonkey

Hartski
07-08-2005, 12:57 PM
monkeys with 8 arms

Damn, imagine how much poo an 8 armed monkey could throw!

Deicide666
07-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Anyone who tries to stop me from eating meat earns a permanent spot on my **** list.

^^^^.

NuggzTheNinja
07-08-2005, 03:36 PM
Can't say I know of anyone that has ever eaten raw beef, but I've eaten lots of meat that has been dead less than 30 minutes.

Take it off the grill 10 seconds after it stops twitching and tear into it.:D

Never eaten raw beef.

According to Modem though, I have eaten raw Palestinian children.

Didn't you know? All Jews eat Muslim children.

Your friend is being rediculous. I lived with a hindu...he had no problem with cooking beef as long as I didn't use his pots and pans to do it.

Tell him that you're going to have to eat beef, but that you won't use his cookware, and that if he doesn't want to be associated with your beef eating, he shouldn't use yours.

Abyss
07-08-2005, 04:05 PM
He doesn't like u eating meat infront of him is becuase he gets offended, well basicaslly indians worhip cows like they're god or something. And he thinks that ur eating the cow up and it dead and its been eaten and ur eating it infront of him, it makes him upset that ur eating there god. It is freakin weird wot they worship.

Magnus_9
07-08-2005, 04:10 PM
look man with all due respect, the hindu religion is such a JOKE. they worship snakes, tigers, cows, monkeys with 8 arms, rats etc

they even have a god whos evil but when he trims his nails hes good again. LOL!!!!!!! ask him if his cow is such a god, how comes they die? how the **** can a cow be a god??? any religion associating their diviness to animals and making gods out of them is the biggest load of chickenshi* i have ever heard of.

sikhs are even worse, its in their religion to drink rats piss. kinda makes me sick, but as long as all you folk stay in that shi*hole called india, im happy :)

Congratulations! You just broke the barrier of human stupidity!

big-bri
07-08-2005, 04:37 PM
He's being unreasonable, you pay half the rent, you can do what you want. If you were his guest it MIGHT be different, but your equal partners.

PowerSwede
07-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Never eaten raw beef.

According to Modem though, I have eaten raw Palestinian children.

Didn't you know? All Jews eat Muslim children.

Your friend is being rediculous. I lived with a hindu...he had no problem with cooking beef as long as I didn't use his pots and pans to do it.

Tell him that you're going to have to eat beef, but that you won't use his cookware, and that if he doesn't want to be associated with your beef eating, he shouldn't use yours.

If it helps any, i feel pretty bad about you being of the same heritage as me, hateful, resentful people is the last thing we need to further our cause.

Crazee_786
07-09-2005, 12:20 AM
Congratulations! You just broke the barrier of human stupidity!
funny you say that ****face, because I would LOVE it if you could point out even ONE incorrect statement I made about the hindu religion.

Doctor Grudge
07-09-2005, 09:19 AM
funny you say that ****face, because I would LOVE it if you could point out even ONE incorrect statement I made about the hindu religion.

You need to calm down little buddy. I'm an agnostic leaning towards athiest and I pretty much don't care about religions, and think Hindunism is extremely false, but when you explain christanity to some one who never heard of a religion before they'd think it's almost as crazy :rolleyes: Assuming your christian, if your athiest then you just need to consider peoples religions and calm down. Hard to belive your in your 20's and your e-snapping.

PowerSwede
07-09-2005, 09:46 AM
You need to calm down little buddy. I'm an agnostic leaning towards athiest and I pretty much don't care about religions, and think Hindunism is extremely false, but when you explain christanity to some one who never heard of a religion before they'd think it's almost as crazy :rolleyes: Assuming your christian, if your athiest then you just need to consider peoples religions and calm down. Hard to belive your in your 20's and your e-snapping.

I'd say Hinduism is a lot less ridiculous, at least they give an explanation to the full circle, the state BEFORE being born as well as AFTER death.

Christianity seems half-assed by comparison.

Stand Ablaze
07-09-2005, 09:55 AM
What you need to do is to talk to him about it, you aren't hindu, it doesn't apply to you that cows are holy. Buy your own pots and pans and cook beef in that.

If you don't even really need the beef, then don't bother cooking it.

look man with all due respect, the hindu religion is such a JOKE. they worship snakes, tigers, cows, monkeys with 8 arms, rats etc
Other religions whorship a magic-man in the sky. I'd rather whorship snakes, tigers, cows, monkeys, the sun stars and the universe, since they actually exist.

Krzna
07-09-2005, 10:10 AM
Thx mod :) Great job!

hayazoom
07-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Hinduism isnt half as ridiculous as the other major religions in the world.. and like Grudge says its all relative, you think Hinduism is ridiculous because you werent bought up with those beliefs, If you were, you would probably think Christianity or Islam to be ridiculous

By the way CRAZY786 you are prolly an ignorant tard who believes everything he sees on TV sitting on the sofa munching popcorn

Hinduism has no monkey with 8 arms, there is a half ape half human but he doesnt have 8 arms

Secondly those 'gods' you are talking about, aint even gods, just beings with greater power because of their past good karma on earth, you could become on too but I doubt you would in the near future.

Mr.Vain
07-09-2005, 10:50 AM
If your Canadian you can marry him and convert him to your religion.

He will do it for the citizenship.

Then he has no reason to complain.

Problem Solved.

Krzna
07-09-2005, 11:38 AM
which country are you from crazee?

LoveThyPain
07-10-2005, 11:43 AM

Bump, I m hindu as well n i would've done the same...

where do u want me to begin, dickhead?

He Man
07-10-2005, 07:57 PM

This guy rules :D

Krzna
07-10-2005, 08:00 PM
This guy rules :D
He sure does and If meet him I'd make sure I'd hit him so hard that his momma's tummy would hurt.

AntonToo
07-10-2005, 08:39 PM
Tell him that you have a religion too,
tell him you don't really tell about it to people but it belives that cows are [female] demons-gone-through-evolution, and must be consumed quite often. :)

Now, since the default in most of civilized world is that eating cows is ok it was in fact UP TO HIM to state this non-default stance on this issue BEFORE you guys moved in, since he didn't, the fault is actually his.

However at this point you have to choosebetween changing roomates or skipping on cooking the beef.

However #2, should you descide to imbrace the way of the chiken, try to get something out of him in return for your sacrifice, like toilet maintanance ;)

pure=S.i.N=
07-10-2005, 10:32 PM

Man, this guy is seriously ****ed up. It's actually guys like these that cause the religious intolerance our world faces today. I'm not one to impose my views on others but there's something known as 'compromise'... Thats why so many people of different beliefs and skin colours have managed to survive and grow on a little place we like to call 'earth'.