PDA

View Full Version : how to use protein shakes..being overweight....

rolledthatho
06-28-2005, 10:29 PM
hey guys ive recently started back lifting weights and doing cardio, sometimes i feel like im loosing muscle instead of fat. i know that its because my cardio is pretty harcore, along with my weightlifting and my diet has some protein but probably not enough...

so...

when should i drink the protein and how much should i drink, consuming too much would cause weight gain, i work out lifting weights once a day and do cardio once a day should i just drink a big one in the morn, or after my weight lifting or what...

tia

travis h
06-28-2005, 11:18 PM
I would tell you to use the search button, but this is pretty simple to get you started (then use the search button). Shoot for 1-1.5g/lb of body weight. Spread this out over the day in small doses every 3 hours or so. The only time I would recommend a shake over real food is first thing in the AM and immediately after your workouts. Otherwise, eggs, cottage cheese, and lean meats are good choices during the day. Do not shy away from protein just because of the calories, but make sure that you keep track of the calories to make sure you're not over your limits. I would also read the pre/post workout nutrition thread in the nutrition forum for more details (do this now...right now...stop reading...do it now, then search for whatever specifics you need.