PDA

View Full Version : how did u get over binge eating?

HomerShrimpson
06-28-2005, 10:28 PM
i dont know what heroin withdrawal is like, but i compare binge eating recovery to it. man this is some hard ****, not binging on foods. especially right before bed. it's really like a tough recovery process. it used to be physically and mentally impossible to not eat loads of food before bed, and quitting cold turkey is a b*tch! i'm noticing fat is dropping and i'm getting and staying leaner. also my face is leaning out. Anyone else going, or go through this?

rockstarsar
06-28-2005, 10:30 PM
Could you please either:

a) Continue discussing in one of the many threads you already started today
b) Post in the eating disorder support group

in conjunction with:

a) going to see a psychotherapist
b) going to see a doctor
c) going to see a nutritionist to teach you the basics

HomerShrimpson
06-28-2005, 10:34 PM
no one reads that thread. alright i'm done with this topic. u dont know what it feels like to kick a habit like that.

US_Ranger
06-28-2005, 10:34 PM
no one reads that thread. alright i'm done with this topic. u dont know what it feels like to kick a habit like that.

Seriously, shut the **** up.

Everyone has problems, you're not special. If it makes you sad to read that then turn off the computer, go do something with your life and quit being a cry baby bitch. **** off.

HomerShrimpson
06-28-2005, 10:37 PM
is it my screen name that's pissing you guys off so much? damn i didnt do nothin.

BackInTheJox
06-28-2005, 10:43 PM
is it my screen name that's pissing you guys off so much? damn i didnt do nothin.

No, it's the fact that you've started about 800 identical threads (and some completely contradictory) about a serious disorder you have that you need to seek professional help for.

rockstarsar
06-28-2005, 10:44 PM

No, I think your screen name is cute.

However, don't go telling me I don't flucking know what it feels like to battle an eating disorder. I have since I was in eighth grade. I was anorexic for a year, then ate 1100 calories a day for another year or so, then rebounded into a binge /compulsive eating disorder. During this time, my OCD which first showed up in elementary school came slamming back onto the scene, and I was diagnosed as clinically depressed and antidepressants were recommended. I went to psychotherapy for years, and I still see my therapist every other week to this day to check in.

I understand that you are going through a hard time right now (I've been there) but you need to snap back to reality and kick yourself in the ass for letting things escalate this far and then going around asking people if it'd be "good" or "fun" to just binge on junk food and let yourself get fat for a while.

Now go read this link. "Cold turkey" quitting is unnecessary and will lead to more binges. http://www.normaleating.com/overview.php

The Doc
06-28-2005, 10:52 PM
i dont know what heroin withdrawal is like, but i compare binge eating recovery to it. man this is some hard ****, not binging on foods,
I don't mean to sound harsh here, but until you have gone through an opiate withdrawl that is the most unbelievabley ignorant comparisson I've seen. Do you know what happens when you don't eat fattening foods, you start to lose weight and feel better about yourself as look and feel better. When you stop taking opiates you **** every 5 seconds (even if you haven't eaten in 5 days), you puke at the thought of food, you can't eat, you can't sleep, you have the worst chills but your sweating like a pig, then you're hotter than **** but you have the cold sweats, all you want to do is lay in bed and sleep but your legs won't stop kicking for 2 seconds so you can relax, you have the worst depression you can imagine and you're so emotional a fly farting wants to make you cry, everything in the entire universe smell and tastes so bad you want to cut your own nose off, and any noise annoys you to the point where you wish you carried a gun to silence it.

Now does that sound as bad as not stuffing your face before you go to bed. If I could have eaten a burger when I felt like that and it would have made me feel better, I would have little bottles of Big Macs in my medicine cabinet instead of pain pills. DON'T INSULT MY INTELLIGENCE WITH YOUR LAME COMPARRISONS.

I'm sorry for the rant, but until you've been down that road don't tell people about the trip.

P.S. Don't do drugs, they kick your ass worse than leg day.

The Doc

rockstarsar
06-28-2005, 11:04 PM
I don't mean to sound harsh here, but until you have gone through an opiate withdrawl that is the most unbelievabley ignorant comparisson I've seen. Do you know what happens when you don't eat fattening foods, you start to lose weight and feel better about yourself as look and feel better. When you stop taking opiates you **** every 5 seconds (even if you haven't eaten in 5 days), you puke at the thought of food, you can't eat, you can't sleep, you have the worst chills but your sweating like a pig, then you're hotter than **** but you have the cold sweats, all you want to do is lay in bed and sleep but your legs won't stop kicking for 2 seconds so you can relax, you have the worst depression you can imagine and you're so emotional a fly farting wants to make you cry, everything in the entire universe smell and tastes so bad you want to cut your own nose off, and any noise annoys you to the point where you wish you carried a gun to silence it.

Doc, if you have been through that, I really commend you. I thought depression was the worst, not wanting to go to bed every night because you know you'll have to wake up and face the world the next morning, feeling like there was no purpose in life, isolating yourself from everyone and withdrawing into your own hidey-hole. In retrospect, it was nearly the ultimate form of selfishness and self-indulgence -topped only by actual suicide. I suppose heroin withdrawals frequently involve depression as well, only there's the actual physical side effects to bowl you over, too.

And HomerShrimpson - the sooner you get over the "I am a victim, woe is me" mentality, the sooner you will lick binging. I gave you two books to read and a website, and the rest is up to you. You won't change unless you want to, so it's time for you to buckle down and decide what your priorities are in life. I hope you will "cross the abyss," so to speak, and actually take control of your own life.

The Doc
06-28-2005, 11:17 PM
Doc, if you have been through that, I really commend you. I suppose heroin withdrawals frequently involve depression as well, only there's the actual physical side effects to bowl you over, too.
I wasn't on heroin, I was taking 240mg of Oxy Contin per day plus 40mg of Percocet for my spinal injury and I ran short on my meds because I was trying to kill the pain instead of live with it at an acceptable level. Let me just say that you don't know misery until you've been through full blown opiate withdrawl for a few days. Eating food before you go to bed and feeling bad about it is f**king Disneyland compared to that. I love food too, but you don't see girls selling their cooter so they can buy a super size fry now do you?

BackInTheJox
06-28-2005, 11:20 PM
I love food too, but you don't see girls selling their cooter so they can buy a super size fry now do you?

You've obviously never taken a trip down to McDonalds in PA!

:)

The Doc
06-28-2005, 11:25 PM

Is that where the McNookie is ;).

lucydxm
06-29-2005, 12:06 AM
You need to purchase some gagging bondage gear, that'll stop you binging. *whip*

saw14
06-29-2005, 04:45 AM

is that what they do there now? how do i place that order? thats like the "special" order that people used to get out of burger king so they could buy herion and crack in my hometwon.

"yeah, ill take the triple whopper, king sized fries, a packet of ketchup and one stamp bag please."

now that burger king is closed and we have three more mcdonalds to fill the void of the flame broiled goodness that was burger king. sigh, moan, bitch.

uhockey
06-29-2005, 12:13 PM
Doc.......I'm sure this doesn't do anything to make what you went through any better, but that is probably the best description of opiate withdrawl I've ever heard/read. Both you and rockstarsar have gone through things that people should never have to deal with in a fair world. I can only imagine how trivial the everyday bitching and moaning of people like Homer.......or myself seem in comparison to such problems. Then you realize that there are people out there who have it even worse. Strange how caught up we can all get in our own horse****. :)

Mister_A
06-29-2005, 12:17 PM
My answer to stop binge eating was to become dedicated to a plan and stick with it. Of course it's hard but you just have to want something bad enough. After that it's not that hard.

melon
06-30-2005, 12:41 AM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=70778

uhockey
06-30-2005, 01:46 AM
Two words: Cheat thread.

You could become a superstar in the cheating world.

This doesn't really solve your problem and would make it worse. But oh well.

In which case that is worthless and even damaging advice.
There is an eating disorder support group thread you could be recommending instead.

melon
06-30-2005, 02:08 AM
Yeah I guess so. Point taken, see above edit. The mighty iron word of hockey made me feel guilty :(

Max Protein
06-30-2005, 06:09 AM

Well there you go. If you didn't do nothing, then you must have done something.

MeatProduct
12-25-2009, 07:43 AM
Clearly I'm late to the party, but this is for anyone reading this forum thread down the line (like I am now), looking for how to overcome binge eating/emotional eating.

I've struggled with emotional eating issues for a while, and still am, but I've made a lot of headway, and believe that I'm on the right track now. If my profile pic is a lean one by the time you read this, you'll know I've succeeded.

Here are two links I've found exceptionally helpful. Put together, I think they're all that someone needs to get over emotional eating: (the forum won't let me paste links because I haven't made enough posts yet, so just use google search)

- Tom Venuto's the Body Fat Solution. His classic Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle is awesome, but his new hardcover book the Body Fat Solution includes great info on emotional eating and how to stay motivated. For some, this alone may be enough. The book also provides invaluable, easily applicable nutrition recommendations for a healthy life.

- Shrink Yourself. An interactive 12-week online course on emotional eating. Very effective in helping to understand emotional eating (much deeper than Tom Venuto's book), and miles beyond anything else I've read on the subject. The problem with so many other resources is that A. they're nebulous and unspecific, and B. most of them emphasize letting go of the desire to be lean, and just accepting your body the way it is. None of them provide a way to really get lean, but Shrink Yourself does, if that's your goal.

Hope this helps somebody out there.

Bramble
12-27-2009, 12:14 AM
stop cutting a bulk for a week or 2. trust me ive been though binge eating before

Salte
12-27-2009, 01:27 AM
Not to sound like a dick, and I'll probably get negged, but a big part of cutting down any type of eating is just some SELF CONTROL.

tagun
12-27-2009, 01:34 AM
Not to sound like a dick, and I'll probably get negged, but a big part of cutting down any type of eating is just some SELF CONTROL.

Why would you sound like a dick? We're ****ing humans, if you can't make yourself A BIT disciplined and not eat 1000 calories over your goal when your cutting, then I've got news for you:

Find another sport/hobby. If you can't exert some self control and not eat literally everything in sight, then how the hell can you have the discipline to lift them heavy ass weights and do cardio for the rest of your life. If you're binging all the time then you won't last long in the gym at least in the long run.

VegasPumped
12-27-2009, 02:14 AM
Being satisfied constantly.

45 calorie bread slices (Sara Lee brand).
This helped me lose 70 pounds.

2 slices+turkey+lettuce+tomatoes+onions+pickles+must ard.
About 140 calories.

What more do you want?

Alyion
12-27-2009, 03:15 AM
I don't know why this thread was bumped, but serious binge eating like the now 5 years old op posted about probably can't be stopped by just stuffing himslef with low calorie foods. There is usually a root non-food related problem causing it which needs to be found and dealt with.