PDA

View Full Version : Walking to shed fat

Dead Gibblets
06-28-2005, 05:52 PM
I've lost 12 pounds over the past 2 months doing a carb cycling diet and HIIT 2x a week for 5 minutes per session. I think I've hit somewhat of a plateau, as my fat loss has slowed down. No strength/muscle loss yet at this point whatsoever, so what I've done so far has worked very well. I'm 182-183 around 15% bf right now. I was 192 @ 20% before.

Anyways, I was thinking of walking for 20-30 minutes a day, in addition to my 2 HIIT sessions and my 3 weight training sessions each week. Would that be effective at all? More importantly, would it be detrimental to strength or muscle? I was just thinking that an extra 150-200 calories burned from walking might help a bit. I don't want to add any more HIIT sessions. I'm willing to up my time from 5 minutes to maybe 7-8 though...

Suggestions?

DJohnson
06-28-2005, 06:06 PM
Either do HIIT for 15-20 min or stick with medium intensity for 30-40 min. Doing HIIT for 8 minutes you're not gonna get any of the positive effects. Walking is fine but try jog for a bit then walk and repeat.

Dead Gibblets
06-28-2005, 06:09 PM
15-20 minutes? That's not even HIIT! How can one keep a high intensity for that long? By the 5th minute, my sprint has already become more of a fast paced run...after that, I can't imagine it being any faster than a jog!

DJohnson
06-28-2005, 06:31 PM
I was including warmup. But you gotta rest up between sprints. You just need to get your heartrate to ~90% between rests.

Dead Gibblets
06-28-2005, 09:19 PM
Hmm...guess you're right. Whether I'm sprinting or jogging by the last interval, as long as I'm pushing, my heart rate would be up...fair enough.

But walking would be in no way detrimental?

knight4life
06-28-2005, 10:10 PM
These are all misconceptions of fat loss (regarding the HIIT).....logically you're not burning fat at that high of an intensity. The walking idea is great for weight loss!! If you can't get into your targeted heart rate range by just walking alone here's some ideas: 1) on a treadmill just increase the grade or incline. 2) if walking outside use some sort of hand/wrist weights, walking poles, powerbelt, etc that adds resistance to the upper body during your walk. You can also use these on the treadmill. Personally, I would suggest the Powerbelt types because you can use it at intervals when fatigue sets into the arms and not have to change your walking pace, whereas the others may not be as convenient or used as easily. I know a lot of people on here are die-hard HIIT people, and it is good for several reasons, but not neccessarily weight loss. IMO HIIT is good for athletes but not the average Joe looking to lose a few pounds.

travis h
06-28-2005, 11:21 PM
On the treadmill I use, walking at 3.0 MPH with the max incline (15 for me) burns the same number of calories/hour as jogging at 5.5-6.0 with zero incline. Want to burn fat? Crank up the incline all the way and adjust your rate to keep your HR where you want it. It works great and is super low impact.