PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition after Weight training AND cardio

maffie
06-23-2005, 07:51 PM
What should i consume after weight training and cardio? Post weight training nutrition does not go well with post cardio nutrition.. contradicting.

Tarkana
06-23-2005, 08:08 PM
how are they contradicting? i always thought both would follow with potein and carbs. just that cardio u need to keep on eating a bit longer over a period of time

rockstarsar
06-23-2005, 08:10 PM
I sincerely hope you're not referring to the books/people that say to sprint fasted in the morning, not eat carbs after cardio, and only have your protein shake an hour afterwards.

maffie
06-23-2005, 08:22 PM
cardio causes hormonal changes in your body that are conducive to fat burning. Insulin will spoil the hormonal changes in the body.

DJohnson
06-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Just eat protein and carbs afterwards. There are studies which show that after weight lifting alone if you have proper pre-workout nutrition you can wait a bit with the meal afterwards, but most people don't eat enough pre-workout to need to wait. Eating right after is just a fool-safe way to go.

TexasLift
06-23-2005, 10:27 PM
cardio causes hormonal changes in your body that are conducive to fat burning. Insulin will spoil the hormonal changes in the body.

This is misleading...

You want an insulin spike after hard cardio/weight training sessions to supress cortisol--an enemy to muscle gain(when bulking)/muscle retention(When cutting)

In short, your post-workout nutrituion is important in that there are muscle sparing benefits in a proper meal after these hard work outs.

I would suggest doing a search in the nutrition forum for proper meals to eat post work out, specifically the proper amounts of protien, and kinds of carbohydrates you should consume.

Good Luck. :)